PDA

View Full Version : About Schmidt

CMJ
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:40:15 PM
I caught this gem today in a packed theatre. One of the more poignant films about looking back on your life that I've ever seen. It was at times funny...sentimental...depressing...and hopeful.

Jack was terrific, one of his best performances I'd say(though he's had so many great ones it's hard to say where it'd fit), as was Kathy Bates. The script was litered with great lines, and Schmidt's letters were a highlight.

I definitely recommend the *heck* out of this picture. The 11th 4 star effort of 2002 that I've seen. What a year 2002 turned out to be. :D

ReaperFett
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:53:43 PM
How funny was it though?

CMJ
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:55:48 PM
At times very funny...but it's not really a comedy Reaper.

ReaperFett
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:57:10 PM
That's why I asked :)

I dont like seeing depressing films.

Quadinaros
Jan 25th, 2003, 11:15:22 PM
I also loved About Schmidt. It provided the biggest laugh out loud joke of the year for me, personally. When Jack was reading the Encyclopedia Brown book, then looked to the end of the book. His 'Aha' expression had me rolling in the aisle. I guess you have to remember reading Encyclopedia Brown to understand it, but I just found that moment hilarious.

Aside from that, this movie was filled with great moments, and Jack was brilliant as always. I wanna say something like 'a crowning achievement', but for Jack, it's difficult to put into perspective all his great performances. I'll definately see this one again, soon.

And Reaper, About Schmidt wasn't depressing at all. It was ultimately a very optimistic movie, in my opinion...

JonathanLB
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:49:12 AM
Well that really depends how well you understood the film, IMO. It also depends whether or not, I suppose, you are inclined to agree with the message.

If you read my review...

http://www.jlbmovies.com/AboutSchmidt.shtml

...then you should be able to see the connection between this work and the famous philosophy book that Tolstoy wrote, The Death of Ivan Illyich.

Now to say the film isn't depressing, well, again, this depends on how well you understood it. I would agree with you, but I'll explain why. On the surface, it is a VERY depressing film. Here is a character who, like Ivan Illyich, realizes he has wasted his life on trivial endeavors and ultimately made no difference. So is it depressing in that sense? Absolutely, it is incredibly depressing. The Death of Ivan Illyich, taken at surface value (and About Schmidt is literally a film adaptation of that book whether or not anyone will say that), is a depressing work with no hope for its character. BUT, and this is the big "but" for me, here is why it is really not a depressing book and About Schmidt is really not a depressing film...

When you see this guy's life, you, the reader, or the viewer, are supposed to think, "That is NOT me, and I still have the power to shape my life and make sure that I NEVER become Ivan Illyich, or that I never become Schmidt." That power is still in your hands, to make sure that your life is meaningful and that you contribute something to the world. That in some way your having been here improved the world significantly. So, then, in my opinion the film offers a message of hope. Here is Schmidt, but this does not have to be you! You have every chance to make sure that it is NOT you! That's a message of hope and optimism, not a depressing message. If you just take it as, "Oh gee this guy is a loser and he has ruined his life," then ok, it is depressing, but if you really understand the point of the work, then yes, it should be uplifting. It can even be eye-opening.

The only thing that keeps the mass of people on their normal, everyday track at their dead end jobs is the idea that there will always be tomorrow, that everything can be put off until later. This, IMO, is why people have mid-life crises. They realize, oh my god, I am 40 years old, or I am 45 years old, and all of my dreams are unrealized! I have become Ivan Illyich, or at least, I am at risk of becoming him. The realization that your time here IS finite is what drives people to achieve and makes them realize, like Peter in Office Space, that you simply cannot live your days here like that. It's not acceptable whatsoever. Of course, 99% of people reject this message, return to their ordinary lives, and they become Ivan Illyich.

We had a rather profound and somewhat depressing conversation about that book in our philosophy class at LMU. Our teacher, who I really like (he is writing a book now that I cannot wait to read; I keep in touch with him through e-mail), said, "Not to sound depressing, but the fact is, most of the people in this room, according to the odds, will become like Ivan Illyich, but the message this book relays to us is that you don't have to be him! It's telling you that you can avoid that, so it's not a depressing work." I agreed with that. Ultimately, I felt the book, and About Schmidt as a film, are both works that encourage people, they are not meant to depress them unless you don't understand the film/book.

I also quoted Thoreau in my review, as did Ebert (though he did not mention The Death of Ivan Illyich), when he said, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." I think that is absolutely true. There is no debate in my mind that what he says is a fact, and yet people do not seem to heed these warnings/messages, but rather continue on their paths. It is perplexing, but everyone has a chance to avoid being that kind of person and that's where I think a work like About Schmidt is really impressive and powerful.

I personally gave it 3.5 stars, so I guess I don't quite share CMJ's enthusiasm, but I wrote quite a bit on the film, I really enjoyed it, Nicholson is awesome, and I think most people who actually read a lot of my reviews should realize that for me, the 3.5 star rating means a lot. I only give those to films I really liked. That's my definition. 3 stars = like, 3.5 = really like, 4 stars = love.

I gave 16 four-star ratings in 2002, personally. I am sure I must have given more than that many 3.5's. Coming to mind immediately, The Ring, They, About Schmidt, Adaptation, Rabbit-Proof Fence, Resident Evil, The Bourne Identity, About A Boy, The Sum of All Fears, Reign of Fire, Showtime (critics hated it), Analyze That, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, The Transporter, Red Dragon, Insomnia, One Hour Photo, and who knows how many more I forgot.

I must have seen about 175 movies from 2002 at least, perhaps 200, so really 16 four-star ratings is not that many... It's tough to earn that from me.

CMJ
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:07:43 PM
I share alot of your opinions about the film Jonathan, but I think the film argued at the end that if you change ONE person's life for the better, than you have made a difference. So in fact Schmidt really has....

My favorite sequence was him going back to his alma mater. :) I practically rolled in the aisle when he visited his old frat.

JonathanLB
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:14:52 PM
Amen. The film is quite funny, it's obviously a funny version of the Tolstoy book really and isn't an "adaptation" of it or anything, but it just shares a lot of similarities.

I also agree with you. What I felt is that Schmidt had, at the end, made some sort of difference because of this guy, Ndugu, and that was what the film was saying, too. Perhaps not, but that was at least something, IMO.

Darth Vader
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:38:22 PM
I hate ancient bumps, but I finally rented this movie, and it probably did the best job of any movie in terms of tearing me neatly in two. Part of me nearly laughed up a lung, and the other part was driven to tears. This movie totally has a way with you and your emotions.

Oh and Kathy Bates nude is simply quite horrible and I want to die.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 28th, 2004, 10:10:09 PM
Ditto to the last sentiment.

I was ultimately disappointed by the movie when I saw it, mostly because I thought it was supposed to be funny, and it only bummed me out. :\

CMJ
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:33:29 PM
Originally posted by Darth Vader
Part of me nearly laughed up a lung, and the other part was driven to tears. This movie totally has a way with you and your emotions.

Much like life don't ya think? ;) I rewatched AS a few months ago and still love the hell out of it. It's a film that I feel will age very well - since it's a timeless story.

jjwr
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:48:56 AM
I caught about 8/10th of it on Cable one day, it was very good, definetly felt sorry for Jack through-out but the end result was great.