PDA

View Full Version : Top 2002 DVD sales (USA)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 25th, 2003, 04:16:00 PM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/dvd/2002/sales/

Spiderman wins in total sales - but not by much. However, FOTR wins by revenue.

Jedieb
Jan 25th, 2003, 05:21:06 PM
AOTC at #5?!O_o

JonathanLB
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:46:44 PM
That's too bad. Oh well though, you know that the SW films (well, and to be fair, the LOTR films) are going to continue to be great sellers for many, many, many decades into the future, who knows, maybe on other formats, even.

As much as I enjoyed Spider-Man, and I really did enjoy it, I don't think that it'll be selling as well as AOTC or any SW film in ten years. :)

Films like LOTR and the Star Wars Saga, though, these are the types of movies that will continue to appeal to people many years from now and not just appeal, but sell well. I think Spider-Man will appeal to audiences 10 years from now, too, but I just don't see it being the type of consistent seller something like Star Wars will be.

JMK
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:09:11 PM
I can't say that I'm surprised. SW seems to have lost a little bit of the steam that made it so so dominant. Ah well. It still rules. :D

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:27:11 PM
FOTR revenue breakdown

Domestic Box Office: $313 million
Non-USA Box Office: $547 million
USA DVD Sales: $257 million
USA VHS Sales: $73 million
USA VHS/DVD rentals: $50 million

1.2 billion right there. Who the hell knows how much FOTR made in DVD sales WW......

JonathanLB
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:57:58 PM
I would not say that Star Wars lost any steam. Episode III will prove that.

It's like saying that The Empire Strikes Back lost steam from ANH, lol. History has proven otherwise.

AOTC remains most people's 2nd favorite SW film or 3rd at worst, some people's favorite (like mine), and it pleased basically everyone. With the final SW film, Episode III will end the SW series with a bang.