PDA

View Full Version : WarCraft 3 Gamin Group (come on in!)... (SW:GB also!)

Lady Vader
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:46:59 PM
Alrighty, ppl, we're talking about a MASSIVE multiplayer game here, whether it be coop or anarchy.

How many here have the game and would be interested in having a multiplayer game?

If the response is positive to the idea, we'd also have to set up a date and time and server where we could play.

(This idea is also open to SW: Galactic Battlegrounds)

UPDATE:

So far, I have spoken to a few ppl, and we have a list of a few who are quite interested in this endeavor:

WC3 & GB:

(myself)
Pierce Tondry
Sean Piett

WC3:

Figrin D'an
Miryan no Trunks
Chaos
De'Ville

GB:

Fett

As to date and time, that's something we'd have to work out either as pairs or a group to see when would be most convenient.

And as to server, I think playing on the Battle.net servers would be our best bet.

I'll be keeping ya posted for any more info!

If there are any questions regarding this, feel free to PM me or Tondry! :)

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:42:13 PM
Buy the game for me and I'll do it :)

Figrin D'an
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:52:46 PM
I'd be game...

AmazonBabe
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:53:15 PM
:lol Charley... actually, I found a site that sells the game for $25 (brand new and unopened). Only catch is you have to pay through PayPal.

Fig: Awesome. Now lets see if we can't get more involved.

Ok, I KNOW there are more out there that have this game... come on... show yourselves...

(Or, if ppl want, we could also do a Galactic Battlegrounds game too. :))

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:55:14 PM
You think I have 25 dollars? I buy a head of lettuce at Wal Mart for my weekly shopping trip!

Darth Viscera
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:35:57 AM
Well now, it's about time you suggested that! It's only been 10 months since I sent yall GB!

Sean Piett
Jan 29th, 2003, 12:03:20 AM
I'll be there, yo.

Prolly for either.

Pierce Tondry
Jan 29th, 2003, 12:12:18 PM
Vis: You didn't send GB to me! But Sonja did so now I can play. :)

JediBoricua
Jan 29th, 2003, 12:40:29 PM
Amazon can you tell me the website? I would buy the game for 25.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 29th, 2003, 02:17:06 PM
I need the game... I am just poor boy right now...

Lady Vader
Jan 29th, 2003, 05:50:15 PM
Righto, JB. The site is called Money-Save.com. I'm not familiar with it, but it is endorsed by Amazon.com (as in they sell through them, and Amazon does give Money-Save a high rating).

Money-Save.com's WarCraft 3 (http://www.money-save.com/q-shop121/details.asp?prodid=574&cat=40&path=40)
$24.95 (I believe Money-Save only takes payments through PayPal... at least the last time I checked, that's what it was.)

Amazon.com's WarCraft 3 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B00005V9Q1/all/ref=sr_pb_a/102-0263700-5260114)
$28.40 (from Money-Save.com, through Amazon.com, any form of online payment as far as I know)

ReaperFett
Jan 29th, 2003, 06:32:29 PM
Hey, no advertising on SWFans :|

Sorry, had to ;)

I might appear in the odd GB game possibly.

Lady Vader
Jan 29th, 2003, 06:43:46 PM
:rolleyes

:p

That'd be cool if you could join us in a game of GB some time Fett! We'd love to have ya! :)

ReaperFett
Jan 29th, 2003, 06:45:16 PM
Yeah, with my great lag, it'd be funny.

"Oh no, LV is atacking me. Quickly Jedi, defend my base!"

"There they go"

:)

Lady Vader
Jan 29th, 2003, 08:19:00 PM
:lol

Zeke
Jan 29th, 2003, 10:31:47 PM
A quick question: WarCraft is multiplayer, right? What kind of game? RPG, shooter, what? It rings a bell, but I can't place it.

Miryan no Trunks
Jan 29th, 2003, 11:57:03 PM
It's a RTS =) A strategy game.

I myself would love to get into this, if not for the fact that if we were playing the Actual game (not TD's or Quests in custom games) whatever team I was on, no matter how good they were, would assuredly lose.

I SUCK at skirmish type games. Quite seriously. Never won a single one. Even against the computer on easy ¡^_¬

Chaos Alexander
Jan 30th, 2003, 12:47:32 AM
i just got the game, I would love to be in on this.

Lady Vader
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:19:37 AM
Just one bit of info you should know... the AI for WC3 is a bitch. I Played a multiplayer game with a friend of mine on coop against the comp... and it still beat us. :x

But the important thing is to have fun... and get about four players or so against one comp. :D :lol

Figrin D'an
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:32:41 AM
The AI tends to be very agressive, though, which can be exploited. A player can either a) build up a raiding force right away, at start to pillage, building Exp. for the heroes to counter the comp's raiding force, or b) stack yourself with defenses around your main village and let the enemy get demolished.

It's important to get quick levels for those heroes, though. They can be the x-factor in a major battle.

Darth Viscera
Jan 30th, 2003, 03:09:04 AM
I am very good at building fortifications and redoubts and such in GB. Give me enough time, and I'll put up multi-layer defense grids that it'll take half an hour to get through. Plenty of early-warning time :)

Sean Piett
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:06:15 PM
I'm horrible with GB, though my Warcraft skillz are pretty mediocre too.

Lady Vader
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:03:41 PM
Well, Vis, in a game of coop GB, I'll put you in charge of defenses, while I get the army going in the attack. How bout that? :p

I'm actually better at GB, Sean, though that's only cause i like playing in on "easiest". And I'm pretty darn good in WC2. WC3, though, gives me a run for my money... but I still have loads of fun with it.

ReaperFett
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:06:44 PM
I play GB defencively. Then they bring in Siege tanks :(

My best tactic was play on a forest map, use Siege Tank to make a clearing in a large thicket, and airlift some workers in. Build a small base, hidden away and almost impossible to take down :)

AmazonBabe
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:32:58 PM
Not a bad strategy. Only thing is, then you leave yourself vulnerable to air attacks.

ReaperFett
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:34:42 PM
Nah, because one of the few I build is an airbase. And a Fortress is AA ;)

The problem is when everyone knows where I am :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:36:05 AM
Psst, my friend said I can borrow game... Play ya this weekend?

Darth Viscera
Jan 31st, 2003, 05:50:51 AM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
Well, Vis, in a game of coop GB, I'll put you in charge of defenses, while I get the army going in the attack. How bout that? :p

I'm actually better at GB, Sean, though that's only cause i like playing in on "easiest". And I'm pretty darn good in WC2. WC3, though, gives me a run for my money... but I still have loads of fun with it.

Sounds great! Just make sure your base is close to mine so that we won't have long, empty spaces with only a wall connecting them. Matter of fact, we could probably make our own map or something.

ReaperFett
Jan 31st, 2003, 07:59:37 AM
Sounds great! Just make sure your base is close to mine so that we won't have long, empty spaces with only a wall connecting them.
That reminds me of one mission I once played, Red Alert I think. I found a wall, built me forces up, smashed through and charged into........nothing. SPent ages finding their base :)

Pierce Tondry
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:28:40 PM
Hmmm...

*Considers strategy.*

It occurs to me that myself, LV, and Vis would work very well together. One of the things I've become quite good at through WarCraft 3 is surgical strikes, especially in the early to mid game. Granted, GB has no heroes with enhancement auras to boost my troops, but my playing style is such that I can substitute something like an Air Cruiser or Artillery Cannon for a hero unit.

I am also good at keeping reinforcements away from an attacking force and using hidden seige engines to cover holes in my defenses. :)

ReaperFett
Jan 31st, 2003, 03:24:44 PM
Another tactic is make a base with few small entrances due to scenery, and have siege cannons constantly firing there. ANyone who wants to attack has to risk it :)

Darth Viscera
Jan 31st, 2003, 04:11:23 PM
I've done that before in AoE2, had 4 trebuchets constantly attacking the ground that led to my gates. Trebuchets wouldn't have done much to an attacking army, but it looked cool. Sean, my 20 janissaries and 1 trebuchet beat the crap out of a hundred of your champions :) even when you attacked me from behind while laying in wait in the trees!

Lady Vader
Jan 31st, 2003, 05:06:08 PM
Oh man... we could potentially slaughter thousands with Visc taking up defenses, Fett on ambush detail (seeing as how he likes the hiding and then surprising), and Tondry & I chucking out the troops. It would be a blood bath. Oh, the possibilities!

Anyhoo, Dyzm, I'm glad you were able to borrow the game (tell your freind thanks for me, even though he doesn't know me :p). Maybe we can play a game tonight or some time this weekend (and maybe we can get Tondry in on the action as well).

(Just FYI, and as Tondry will tell you, I have to share my connection with my sis, and sometimes she can be pretty dang bossy about the whole thing. So taking turns on the comp isn't a prob for me... but when it comes to my sis, well, she wants to monopolize. But, I'll see what I can do and I'll keep ya informed.)

Darth Viscera
Jan 31st, 2003, 05:58:07 PM
Not tonight-I'm going to bed around 8pm EST

ReaperFett
Jan 31st, 2003, 06:20:01 PM
Ive always felt my best role in any game is "the other guy". I cant be relied on for attack, defense or anything, but I can do something good. For example, I might pick Naboo, and send in an airforce of amazing strength :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 31st, 2003, 09:38:32 PM
I haven't gotten it yet, but I just need to his house first.

Sean Piett
Jan 31st, 2003, 10:59:16 PM
Yes, Janissaries make me SICK.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Feb 1st, 2003, 04:27:22 AM
I play all range attack in AOE2, using the britians with Full Tech. Horse Archers run in and distrub what ever I can, I pull them back and then have 2 entire groups of Longbow men, Raining Death.

which is why I love the Night Elves in WarCraft3

Sean Piett
Feb 1st, 2003, 11:26:33 PM
Dryads are spectacular.

Evil Hobgoblin
Feb 2nd, 2003, 01:11:57 PM
"I'll distract the enemy with my human call!"

"I'm so wasted (giggle) I'm soo wasted!"

JediBoricua
Feb 2nd, 2003, 09:29:48 PM
Well it seems that I wont be buying Warcraft soon, my brother doesn't want to chip in and I wont buy it alone so he can play more than me!

Anyway, we should play AOE sometime soon, I'm a killer with mongols. I love playing offensively, i've found that out the hard way. Mangudais are the nastiest piece of archers around, not even those pesky longbows can edure my wrath! And that siege, it is so fast it's scary! Mwahahahahahaha...sorry.

Sean Piett
Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:57:30 PM
Well, Tondry and I played Warcraft.

First game, we won with another pal of mine.

Second game, we were owned.

Evil Hobgoblin
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:54:56 PM
Kinda amusing that.

I should let you know that I've finally worked out all the bugs in my Shaman/Tauren strategy, so you can expect a better performance out of me next time. You'd think it would occur to someone who's played RTS frequently to at least consider upgrading the main building before churning out units, but nooooo...

:-/

*Note to self: practice adjusting strategy to work with Grunts instead of Tauren for early game strategy.*

Sean Piett
Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:57:21 PM
What's everyone's accounts?

I am Osse on USEast, so gimme a holla holla.

Lady Vader
Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:38:52 PM
I'm JungleCat on both the Lordaeron (USA west) and Azeroth (USA east) gates/servers.

Last Friday I think it was, Fig, Tondry, and I had a crack at WC3. First game we played... :x. The AI is MEEEAAAANNN! Second game we actually won (takes out lil flag and waves it around). Third game we :x again. And the last game, which I couldn't participate in cause I had to go feed myself, they won (waves lil flag again).

I'm hoping to uneven those odds in our favor next time, though it's taking some time (at least for me) to figure out the right combination and strategy when it comes to the heros.

Oh... and... "I said a BOW STRING, not a G-... uhgh, nevermind."

:rolleyes :p :lol

Sean Piett
Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:46:39 PM
Okeday, I'll add you.

I love all the Monty Python quotes, as well as my favorite:

"Stop poking me there... me not that kind of orc!"

imported_Eve
Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:47:53 PM
I want to play.

Lady Vader
Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:53:59 PM
EVE! You are MORE than welcome to come play with us!!! :rollin

AmazonBabe
Feb 5th, 2003, 04:45:51 PM
Played another game last night with Tondry and Sean. I can't remember... we either played two or three games... in either case, we were victorious in each one!

Yup, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this. :)

Darth Viscera
Feb 5th, 2003, 05:16:41 PM
How long did the games last? Me, Gue and Logan used to play GB non-stop, and the 3 of us would build up such extensive fortifications and defenses that to launch an attack was to guarantee that your attacking force would be annhialated. It took us 7 hours to decide that Logan and I had stalemated, disconnect and call it a night. Absolutely impenetrable.

Sean Piett
Feb 5th, 2003, 10:43:53 PM
This was warcraft III, so probably thirty minutes at the most for the games we three played.

Longest game I've played in Warcraft was three hours on either Rich Man's garden or divide and conquer. FFA or summat. Three level 10 heros!

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Feb 6th, 2003, 12:27:01 AM
Ok! Got the game from a friend! Will be playing by tomarrow. First gotta update all the stuff and things...

P.M. me or hit me up on AIM (Damnthatdavid)

WOOP!!!

Verse Dawnstrider
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:41:28 AM
My Id is GarouKnight, so if you see me on just let me know.

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Feb 7th, 2003, 12:53:41 AM
name is Damnthatdavid

Evil Hobgoblin
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:52:07 PM
It'd help if you guys would mention what servers you have your IDs for, since Bnet requires that you register an ID on each new server you decide to play on, even if the name is the same. Without the server information, both of us could sit on Bnet for hours and never know the other is there. :)

My ID on both Lordaeron and Azeroth is TangleBox.

Nevlonniel
Feb 8th, 2003, 04:57:32 PM
Yeah, what Hob just said.

And would those names be for AIM or for Bnet?

Oh, and my name on both the Lordaeron (west) and Azeroth (east) servers is JungleCat. :)

Figrin D'an
Feb 8th, 2003, 11:27:50 PM
Fig-man on both US EAST and WEST servers

Sean Piett
Feb 9th, 2003, 03:26:38 PM
Osse on US East.

I'll make a USWest when I must, but I'm sure that Osse's already been registered o'er there.

Nevlonniel
Feb 10th, 2003, 05:58:25 PM
Hey, Fig/Tondry! I played a game last night with one of my friends at his house (over network), and I got my Priestess up to Level 6 (along with Keeper of the grove AND Demon Hunter to levels 3 and 2 respectively)!!! GOOD FOR ME!!!

This must mean I'm doing something RIGHT! :lol

(For those of you totally confused... I've been trying to figure out the best strategy for the Night Elves, and think I've gotten most of it in my pocket. :D)

Figrin D'an
Feb 10th, 2003, 09:47:14 PM
Try to get your Demon Hunter up to Level 6... then you can get his metamorphosis spell, and have him turn into a big nasty looking demon that does mega damage. :thumbup

I'm not all that great with Night Elves... I still prefer the Humans for the overall balance, and the Orcs for the brute power (nothing like getting all three Orc hero units in an attack group, and having a shaman jack them up using Bloodlust). :D

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Feb 10th, 2003, 10:34:20 PM
O yeah, we just got done with a game, beautiful team work.
Chimera/Ice Dragon Rushes with 3 Graveyard's full of Skel Warriors (10 Necros) Kept the enemy rushing from one base to another. Hit and runs.
Final attack was one in a million. 20+ Skel Warriors, half a dozen+ Abonamations, Ancient Protectors, Night Elf Rush, and Chimera's and Ice Dragons coming all together at once. Crushed them in no time against the unyielding forest.

I have played Warcraft games at my friends house, but none of them compared to this game.

Great Playing LV!

Nevlonniel
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:49:24 PM
YAY!!! I did a good thing!!! :rollin

I Had TONS of fun playin that game! The ending was fantastic! (I saved the replay, btw :D)

Beware me and my Elven rush! :lol

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:36:10 PM
Yes, deadly, but not as deadly as a fully upgraded Ice Worm attack from BEHIND!!! MAWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, still, a good last game for me, well played by all people participating. Did anyone save replay of that game?

Sean Piett
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:59:25 PM
Personally, I don't like Frost Wyrms a bit, unless your enemy is a defense luzar.

Pierce Tondry
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:49:05 PM
Figrin had some pretty decent towerage going on in that game.

And I have found myself an excellent progression of units in the Night Elf race. It works 66.7% of the time. All I need to do is figure out how to modify it so I can include dryads without missing a step, and I'll be fine.

Figrin D'an
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:17:26 AM
Don't know if anyone cares, but Blizzard put up the beta tester signup for The Frozen Throne expansion on Friday (14th). I'm not going to sign up, but some of you might be interested. The signup closes next Friday, they pick 10,000 people at random that meet the prerequisates.

Might be kind of cool if someone from here were to get picked... could get the inside scoop on the expansion before it hits the shelves.

AmazonBabe
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:27:26 AM
:eek

REALLY?!

Thanks Fig!!! :D

:: Scrambles for the Blizzard site to sign up. ::

EDIT: Ok, signed up.

Quatoed by Figrin D'an:
Might be kind of cool if someone from here were to get picked... could get the inside scoop on the expansion before it hits the shelves.

Just one catch in the agreement...

Quoted from Blizzard Entertainment's Beta Test License agreement:

4. Confidentiality. All elements of this License Agreement are considered confidential information. You hereby agree not to disclose any such confidential information without the prior written consent of Blizzard. You shall not be liable for breach of this confidentiality obligation if the information covered hereby becomes public knowledge through no fault of your own.

In other words, if I were chosen to be one of the 10,000 beta testers (ya right), I wouldn't be able to disclose anything about the game. :\

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:35:44 AM
Frost Wyrms defensive luzor???

They are the most powerful flying unit in the game! Stronger and more useful then the Night Elf Chimeras. Only downside to them is the cost.

But Still, I managed to neautralize those groups of towers with the frost breath attack, allowing me to take almost no damage. I must admit, I am more defensive then offensive to start with. My motto is "Without a Strong Defense there can be no real Offense"
I mean, if you spending all your money on attackers, and some how the enemy sneaks around to total your base... then you have to turn around and rush back to protect it. Just attacking the gold mine, or supply sources for any game with a small token, quick attack force with disrupt building times. But when you totally destroy the Main Building (i.E. Command Center, Tree of Life, Construction Yard) then you really through a wrench into the clockwork. Like how my 4 Ice Wyrms destroyed the enemies tree of life in under 30 seconds.

Nevlonniel
Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:29:06 PM
Now THAT'S my kind of game!

Tondry and I did a game against a norm comp, and it caught us off guard and by surprise with a level 6 hero. The comp basically obliterated our bases... but somehow we managed to get away with some of our work force.

So, we built again, but this time we were somewhat scattered in our building. Made the comp verrrrrrrry confused.

And then we did guerrila warfare attacks, hit and runs, that kind of thing.

In the end, the comp had a level 9 and level 7 hero, while we only had like level 2 heros... and yet, we won with our guerrila tactics.

We TOTALLY stole that game from the comp! Man, that was fun!! :D

Lady Vader
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:33:35 AM
OMG OMG OMG! I got picked for the BETA TESTING for THE FROZEN THRONE expansion pack!!!!!!!!!!!

:crack:rollin:crack:rollin:crack

Now comes the fun part of actually downloading the beta... :x

But it's gonna be so worth it! :D

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:48:00 PM
**Runs around in circles screaming**

LUCKY!!! LUCKY!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sean Piett
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:56:01 PM
I am soooo insanely jealous.

Nevlonniel
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:09:29 PM
According to Blizzard Entertainment, over 100, 000 ppl registered for the beta testing of TFT, and only 10, 000 were randomly picked. I feel speeeechul... in a randomly-picked sort of way. :lol

But they also said that they'd be e-mailing said 10, 000 ppl in the next few days (having started yesterday) to inform them if they'd been picked for the beta testing. So, for those that registered, there's still time yet. :)

Sean Piett
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:19:34 PM
Thanks for the confidence booster.

I've gathered oodles of info on it. Sounds sooooo cool!

Lady Vader
Mar 4th, 2003, 06:25:01 PM
*drools*

I really can't say much more, unfortunately... all I can do is...

*drooooooooool*

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Mar 5th, 2003, 03:03:50 AM
LV! LV!!! That last game we where in! Balins Tomb! For some reason the game quite on me! Sorry bout that.

Lady Vader
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:17:24 PM
:(

That's ok... we'll try it again. :)