PDA

View Full Version : Need Techy Help!!!!

Live Wire
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:54:39 PM
*sighs* I hate bugging the techy geeks but Im so close to solving my problem that it's killing me! To make a long ugly story short Im trying to set up exchange 5.5 on my windows 2000 server and right at the end of the installation Im getting two big errors. Now I figured out the second one and I know whats causing the first one but I dont know how to rectify the situation.

Basically the cause of my problem is a service has locked up my

Perfc009.dat
Perfh009.dat

files. I already checked in case they were marked read only which they're not and the only other option is that a service running has them locked up and to free them up I need to stop that service. But how in the world do I find which service has them locked up. I've already stopped several of the ones it will LET me stop. Is there any other way to do this other then trial and error?

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:06:38 PM
I'm just backtrackign on some documents right now. But one question - is this a fresh install of 2000 server?

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:08:21 PM
Oh and second question, would this happen to be a HP machine? Those are HP performance monitors. Now, HP perf monitors I dont like running, there realyl isnt any need for them, unless your running OpenView. Fast method to get around is to uninstall HP perf monitoring software. Other solution is to turn off all HP specific service, which from memory is 8 in total and begin with HP prefix

Live Wire
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:10:15 PM
Nope its not an HP machine thats the thing thats making me trip. But that is the only instance of this error that I can even find!

And no its not a new install of 2000 server. Its been up and running for awhile.

edit: apparently its not inherrant to HP machines only. *sighs*

any ideas as to what services or processes might be using the files would be helpful. Im trying to stop what I can without crashing the damn thing. thats all I need to do is have to explain to everyone how I killed the server.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:13:05 PM
Well, from experience, Exchange 5.5 does nto like a used install of 2000. You really need to start frm fresh.

But anyway, look for Openview, or other HP prefixed services. I'd also look for perfmon.exe in the task list.

Live Wire
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:15:37 PM
yeah I wish I could have started from a fresh 2000 server. Unfortunately this should have been installed when the thing was set up originally but the former guy in charge was unfortunately an idiot. And talking my boss into forking over the cash for an upgrade to exchange 2000 is gonna take more then a smile.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:33:58 PM
DO NOT USE EXCHANGE 2000!!!! That is one of the most evil, bad tempered and crash prone products I have come across in a long time, frankly it's not worth your trouble. For one, you will have to use Active Directory. That in itself can be a bad idea. Two, if it fails, it is not an easy thing to repair. Take it from someone who has been a victim of an Exchange 2000 belly up, dont do it. Exchange 5.5 is much more robust and easier to use.

And believe me, if I'm recommending a clean install to start with on 5.5 (still can be done on a used system), it's virtually mandatory on Exchange 2000.

5.5 is pretty much one of the best email servers going. Does a lot, and once it's up, doesnt take much to make it run forever. I have gotten Exchange 2000 to run for months, but to get it to that stage took a great deal of work that I should not have had to do.

Live Wire
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:45:45 PM
*sighs* Well I've used 5.5 before and I like it. We had an old server running NT 4 and we needed more space and faster processors and built the current server. Unfortuantely like I said my predecessor was an idiot and never installed exchange on it. So now that I have to set up the website and all this other stuff I need exchange installed and Im having a devil of a time getting the horrid thing working.