PDA

View Full Version : Martin Luther King and Langston Hughes Talk

Jeran Conrad
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:13:44 PM
Last night I had the very inspiring pleasure to listen to a presentation given by actors Felix Justice and Danny Glover in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday. The 'talk' as it was called was entitled the "Martin Luther and Langston Huges Talks" and was a wonderful representation of two men who--through different walks of life and different styles--really help define aspects of the Harlem Rennaissance and the Civil Rights Movement.

Felix Justice opened the evening by getting in to character and acting out Dr. King's last speech before he was assassinated in 1968. He did an excellent job, and his on-stage prowess and passion for what he spoke captivated me.

After Mr. Justice's performance, Danny Glover took the stage and recited a few of his favorite poems written by Langston Hughes, the african-american, Missouri-born poet who helped in defining the Harlem Rennaissance. He (with his boundless talent) was amazing, and the poetry came alive at his lips.

I share this with you because I was inspired. I was inspired by the writings of two men who wrote in times not unlike our own. Who wrote pieces of litterature and speeches--with passionate contempt for the behavior of our governments and of peoples--that would survive decades and surely be passed on in centuries to come. I was inpired as these scenes were relived and brought new breath by two talented, civil-minded actors, who had incredible fervor for what they spoke.

Falling upon the ears of a white, small-town, home-grown Kansas boy, these words will not go unheard.

I hope that everyone gets a chance to thumb through some of the works of these men and really understand the struggle that did and is taking place. To all of those who have felt that struggle personally, I commend you on your bravery and idolize you for your unwillingness to be broken.

Pierce Tondry
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:18:40 PM
If you ever have a chance, visit the MLK Jr. Memorial in Atlanta, GA. You will go away moved.

DarthDarkCloak
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:20:05 AM
^^ Indeed it is a beautiful place