PDA

View Full Version : Leathal Weapon Flicks/Box sets

Oriadin
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:36:45 AM
Just like to say ive just bought all the Leathal Weapon films on DVD in a box set for £25 from HMV. Sweeeeeeeet. These films are excellent. The fourth one is probably my favorite.

Goes with my Rocky DVD box set (which is well nice) and my american pie box set.

Anyone got any comments on the Leathal weapon films or box sets they own that they just wanna shout about?

ReaperFett
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:40:53 AM
I have the Die Hard/Die Hard 2 Special edition box set, the Hard Boiled/The Killer boxset and the 24 boxset. All rule :)

Oriadin
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:03:32 AM
Oh, yes. I have the 24 box set too. I never watched the series on TV but I guy I work with really made me excited about it so I bought the box set and its awsome. I was having 5 hour sessions and all sorts.

You can get Die hard 1, 2 & 3 box sets now cant you?

ReaperFett
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:11:34 AM
3 is seperate over here from waht I can tell.

BTW, 24 starts again for us in February :)

Oriadin
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:34:03 AM
In Feb!!??? do you know what date?
I really cant wait to see it. Is it still on BBC?

ReaperFett
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:35:49 AM
No date. BBC2 and Chioice. Check bbc.co.uk/24

Oriadin
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:39:06 AM
Ah thanks. Have to have a mess in here me thinks. So did you watch it on TV and from the start?

ReaperFett
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:51:36 AM
Technically, yes. I missed episodes 2, 3 and 4, but caught them on the catchup program.

JMK
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:46:23 AM
I've got both the Lethal Weapon and Die Hard box sets. Well worth the money for both. :D

Oriadin
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:50:26 AM
Do you live in the UK?

Hector Diens
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:19:35 AM
Die Hard Two plot sucked tho..

JonathanLB
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:06:18 PM
The plot of Die Hard 2 is good. The film is not quite as strong as the first, which is probably one of the 5 greatest action films ever made, but Die Hard 2 and 3 are still very good action films. 3.5 stars, anyway.

I own that boxed set with all 3 special edition DVDs (two-disc sets each). How could they not have a trilogy boxed set over there Reaper?! lol, that's just retarded.

Other boxed sets, well I recently got the Dirty Harry DVD set, 5 movies. I've never seen any of them, but that's why I got them. hehe.

I have the Alien boxed set. I give the first three four stars, but the fourth is a bitter disappointment. Still, I kind of enjoy it just because it IS an Alien film and it has some really cool parts in the first hour. It's a 2.5 star film though, not good. Too bad... I still would hope for an Alien 5.

I have the Back to the Future boxed set of course, just got that for X-mas, and if you consider TV series' to be boxed sets, which I don't, then I have 5 of Star Trek: TNG, 6 of The X-Files, 2 of Buffy, one of South Park, and 2 of The Simpsons.

I have some stupid Jackie Chan boxed set I got for like $30 with 6 movies, hehe, it was this lousy collection of mediocre films he did in the '70s. They are the worst DVDs ever (a few of them rank on the 100 worst DVDs at some site I was just visiting yesterday). I probably have other boxed sets that I forgot about, but who knows.

Admiral Lebron
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:11:57 PM
The plot was horrible! There are four major airports all within a hundred miles in the DC area... One of them is Andrews Air Force base which houses Air Force One and the planes of diplomats. So in my opinion, the plot sucked.

JonathanLB
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:33:27 PM
What are you talking about? Your little ramble has nothing to do with anything, lol.

Nobody said the plot was Shakespeare, but it has a nice plot twist (very violent film compared to the first, though) and the plot serves the purpose of the action, as with most action movies.

JMK
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:11:04 PM
I think what he's getting at is that there is no reason why all of those airplanes needed to circle endlessly above the airport. I wouldn't call it a plot issue as much as a question of plausability. I can still ignore that and enjoy the movie though.

No, I'm not in the U.K.

Admiral Lebron
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:20:10 PM
There was a lot of little things to. I consider it a disgrace... Like Temple of Doom.

JMK
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:23:24 PM
Ack! What!!!???!!!

Admiral Lebron
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:18:49 PM
Temple of Doom sucked.

JMK
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:28:28 PM
I think you've got a fever dude...

JonathanLB
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:32:47 PM
You must have a fever. Temple of Doom was great. I personally like Temple of Doom almost as much as I like Raiders. Raiders is needless to say the most important Indy film, but still, I happen to love The Temple of Doom. I used to like it much more as a kid.

One reason for that is because the ending of Raiders, well, it leaves a lot to be desired. If I wanted to see claymation faces melt like that, I'd go watch a monster film from the 30's, no offense to ILM. Seriously, ugg, those effects suck. Hard. It's ok, Raiders is still one of the greatest movies ever, but I would have personally just not shown that at all because if it cannot be done well, why bother?

Guess what, though? It COULD BE DONE WELL! Look at Dawn of the Dead and tell me that they didn't have better technology in 1981. They did. In fact, Dawn of the Dead was 1 year after ANH, 1978, and they show these incredibly gory and detailed, graphic scenes of a guy getting his head blown off (it explodes) and all of these other horrible things. It is remarkable, but surely the same effects would have served Raiders. Instead, it looks laughable. Temple never has any problems like that, nor does Last Crusade. As I said, oh well, because it's not a big deal at all that one effect shot isn't as good as it could be, but I personally found the ending just not as good as the rest of the film.

There is something that really appeals to me about The Temple of Doom, perhaps the jungle feel, the music is really great still, I'm not sure. Raiders has such a wonderful opening. It's so classic that I don't think any number of decades will pass to erase that image in the minds of moviegoers, even ones who were not born when it came out, of course. Indy running out of the cave, boulder behind him, music blares later as he takes off in the plane. "I HATE SNAKES. I HATE 'EM!" God I love that movie. :)

ReaperFett
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:29:43 AM
Doom is BY FAR the worst Indy film, but still good.

I blame Capshaw :)

Oriadin
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:47:11 AM
I liked all the Indy films. Last Crusade was the best I thought though.

JMK
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:35:47 AM
I rank them all so closely together. There are things I love about each one, but Raiders is where it all began.

ReaperFett
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:36:54 AM
Raiders
Last Crusade

Temple :)

Oriadin
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:49:02 AM
I just wonder if the fourth one will ever happen and if they do finally get their acts together, whether they can pull it off.

JonathanLB
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:55:53 AM
I agree that they are all three pretty close together, at least for me.

I rank them:
4 stars.
4 stars.
4 stars.

:)

"I blame Capshaw"

True... she is obnoxious. What a disgrace compared to the girl from Raiders, who seems smart, independent, and sexy too ;)

Oriadin
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:59:47 AM
I dunno, I always had a thing for the woman in Crusade. Even if she is the enemy.

ReaperFett
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:59:58 AM
Jon, Exactly :)

Admiral Lebron
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:28:01 PM
Crusade and Raiders are great movies, Temple just wasn't.

JMK
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:45:09 AM
Yeah, but Short-Round is amazing. He is friggin hilarious!

ReaperFett
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:06:48 AM
He was humouress at times, but at other times was just the other annoying one.

JMK
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:20:54 AM
I laughed at just about every scene he was in. Well, every time he was supposed to be comical, I laughed.