Taylor Millard
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:55:32 AM
A mascot.

:lol

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?slug=1043125573oilers_flames_jmc106&prov=ap

The caption makes it funnier. :)

and to explain the pic even more...:lol

From ESPN.com

CALGARY, Alberta -- Edmonton Oilers coach Craig MacTavish ripped out the tongue of Calgary Flames mascot Harvey the Hound after the 6-foot-6 dog repeatedly taunted him at the bench.

With the Flames leading 4-0 early in the third period, Harvey -- a 200-pound white dog with a foot-long red tongue -- began mocking MacTavish during a timeout.

When play resumed, Harvey moved behind the bench and continued to razz the Oilers. At another stoppage, Harvey leaned over the glass behind the bench which prompted MacTavish to grab the tongue, rip it out and throw it into the crowd.

Undeterred, Harvey kept leaning over the glass. MacTavish reached for a hockey stick but was calmed by Oilers trainer Ken Lowe. Several Oilers players squirted Harvey with water bottles before security moved the mascot away.

''(Harvey) was in a place he shouldn't have been,'' Flames spokesman Peter Hanlon said.

MacTavish spent 17 seasons in the NHL, earning 891 penalty minutes in 1,093 games. He's in his third season as Oilers coach.

Edmonton scored three times in a span of less than four minutes late in the third period but lost to the Flames 4-3

Destiny Stormrider
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:31:21 PM
:lol Shame on Canadian teams! But really, WTF! What the hell was that dog doing! LOL Reminds me of Odjick....

Vinny Red
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:27:34 PM
That's funny I read about that too. You forgot to include the part where it says the Flames website says that the mascot is 6-6 and 200 lbs :lol

You have to understand how heated the rivalry is between those teams...it's pretty intense, one of the most in the league IMO

Taylor Millard
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:00:52 PM
Oh I get the rivalry...in American Football terms it's Cowboys/Redskins rivalry.

Or a larger version of the Avs/Stars rivalry.

Moltar
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:02:50 PM
Mascots in Hockey....

*Crosses off an item "Things to invent" before he retires.*

Yes, I think that those Mascots will be getting what they deserve....

Ishan Shade
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:17:34 AM
:lol I saw that...halarious!

Destiny Stormrider
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:44:45 PM
Originally posted by Vinny Red
You have to understand how heated the rivalry is between those teams...it's pretty intense, one of the most in the league IMO

Kinda like the HABS and the Bruins?

Vinny Red
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:07:09 PM
Or Habs/Leafs

Or Col/Det in recent years

49'ers/Cowboys

Star wars/Star Trek

I just think the situation's funny. Mascot shouldn't have been there

Taylor Millard
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:11:20 PM
Calgary is saying he's on 'Thin Ice' with the team. That situation is still hilarious. I'd forgotten about the stick too. :lol

DarthHERA
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:07:46 PM
"Hockey - Gotta love it"

:)

The best was when an abusive heckler fell into the penalty box with Ti Domi and Domi just started whailin on him - excellent.

:D

Taylor Millard
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:15:44 AM
Or when he threw the water on the fan.

I love Hockey :)