PDA

View Full Version : "Nemesis" takes #1 Spot In Germany

Princess Sunflower
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:24:53 PM
This article was posted today at trektoday.com. I was really surprised that it ousted TTT from the #1 spot.

By Antony
January 20, 2003 - 11:36 PM

'Nemesis' has finally claimed a first place position in the box office, after it premiered in Germany last week.

Having played second fiddle to 'Maid in Manhattan' in the US, and 'The Two Towers' in the UK, Trek X scored a victory over the second 'Lord of the Rings' film when it ousted it from the the #1 spot, according to SF-Radio.

Variety reports that the film took approximately $3.2m on its release, showing in 800 German theatres. However, this is mixed news. Despite taking the #1 spot, 'Nemesis' took under half of what 'Insurrection' did with its German premiere. This means that 'Nemesis' is unlikely to join 'First Contact' and 'Insurrection' in the German top 100 grossing films of all time.

'Nemesis' took a further $266,000 in 59 Austrian theatres, according to the article.

Meanwhile, Box Office Mojo reports that 'Nemesis' slipped further in the US to position #24. The amount of theatres it is showing in is now 1,022, down from 2,423 at its height. With takings of $450,000 at the weekend, the total haul for the film in the US stands at $42,450,000. In the UK, no takings information is available yet, however, 'Nemesis' fell from #4 to #7 in its third week.

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:48:22 PM
But David Hasslehoff isn't in Nemesis O_o

Princess Sunflower
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:07:48 PM
Yea...that's what makes it more amazin! LOL!

JMK
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:33:29 PM
Something going on there. That's impossible.

Javier Enfer
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:59:50 PM
I think Nemesis rules....

Figrin D'an
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:13:05 PM
Pretty sad that it's not going to even hit $50 million in the US. It was a decent film, but it just had too much competition...

... and, the simple reality that Star Trek has lost a lot of it's casual fans in recent years.

Darth Viscera
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:46:17 PM
I think that the reason it's doing so well in Germany right now is because of its release date. Nothing else gets released in the middle of January.

BTW, I check trektoday.com a lot too.

JonathanLB
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:49:45 AM
I'm amazed how weak Trek is anymore. How pathetic. I'm glad Star Wars is ending at 6 films so that it can go out a winner, like Michael Jordan did in Chicago (and yeah, he came back, but he's still a winner) or like Elway in Denver, hehe. Maybe like Jerry Rice in Oakland? :)

I still remember that totally idiotic, incredibly nerdy issue of Cinescape that pitted Star Wars against Star Trek, which would really be about like an NFL team versus a bunch of 6 year olds, and they then threw the Trekkies an amazing bone by putting Star Trek as "the champion" in cultural impact. Hahahaha, yeah, what, for the word NERD in the dictionary -- there is now a picture of a bunch of Trekkies? Jesus. Come on. That competition is just a blowout win for Star Wars, as would be anything. You can compare Star Wars and LOTR, or Star Wars and Harry Potter, but poor Star Trek needs to be compared to something in its own weight class, like, for instance, Barney or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Still, TNG rules, but that's about all I have to say about Trek. Great one series, absolutely great, and the rest -- they can have it back!

Nemesis was a good film, though, certainly nothing special. A good 3 star film, nothing more, nothing less. Too bad it did so lousy.

Darth Viscera
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:07:49 AM
Wow, you are amazingly wrong.

Obviously, since Star Trek has had no cultural impact, the first space shuttle was never named "Enterprise". Obviously there was never a Star Trek exhibit in the Air and Space museum in Washington D.C., and obviously Nichelle Nichols received no calls from Martin Luther King, Jr., pleading with her to keep her job playing Uhura after she threatened to quit over a salary argument.

Obviously, since Star Trek has never had any sort of cultural impact, there have never been any guest astronauts on the show, or any culturally significant people such as Stephen Hawking. There are many, many more ways that Star Trek has become culturally significant.

You are just absolutely dead wrong. BARNEY?!?!? I seriously hope that the above does not reflect your actual opinions, and that you were just posting that crap in order to be contrary and passive aggressive.

Darth Viscera
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:11:19 AM
And just in case you want to argue that our first space shuttle was named after the previous naval ships "Enterprise", I can have NASA prove you wrong.

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/STS/HTML/ECN-24314.html

The Enterprise, named after the spacecraft of Star Trek fame, was originally carried and launched by the 747 during the Approach and Landing Tests (ALT) at Dryden Flight Research Center.

JonathanLB
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:11:21 AM
Like Enterprise wasn't a common name, big deal? That quote proves nothing.

Plus, nobody ever said that Star Trek had NO cultural impact, but jesus, compared to Star Wars, that series is child's play. That may be tough to accept for some Trekkies, sure, but that's life. That's not what I consider cultural impact, either, that's more like... naming impact. lol.

"Obviously there was never a Star Trek exhibit in the Air and Space museum in Washington D.C"

Umm, yeah? So did Star Wars, only the one for Star Wars was MUCH more popular -- one of the museum's most popular attractions and went on tour, too. I was there in D.C. the 2nd weekend to see it. Far and away beyond what Trek did, so that argument is blown away too.

As for science, well, Star Wars has influenced science a lot more than Trek ever could. If you visit TFN on a daily basis, you've no doubt seen all of the stories on scientists mimicing what is in Lucas' films.

There is a bin at Lucasfilm called "Star Wars Changed My Life Letters," hehe.

I'm not saying Trek didn't have its heyday and place in the sun, but it sure doesn't compare to Star Wars, no. It's one thing to give Trek its due for being important for a while and having some cultural impact, certainly, otherwise it wouldn't have millions of fans (well more like hundreds now, but you get my point), but to compare it to Star Wars? That's just unfair to Star Trek. It needs to be compared to something more like it in nature, something like Atari, even. Yes, Atari was fun while it lasted, but then there was Nintendo and it was much better. Then there was SNES, and then N64, and then Game Cube. You get the picture. Much like Atari, nobody much cares about Trek anymore.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:15:30 AM
ROTFLMAO!

Jonathon, as much as that post was nasty, I cant help but to laugh, because in my heart I agree. Head says different, but I'm no lover of Trek - well I was when TNG was playing, but there really was very few episodes I really liked. I really liked ST IV and First Conatct the rest I have seen have been bad. That's I,II,II,IV, V,VII,VIII and IX. IX was just plain crap. I refuse to even consider seeing X, I just dont see the point anymore.

Jon, you are quite right. They should have given up a few years ago, preferably after First Contact

Figrin D'an
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:38:22 AM
It's a well-documented fact that NASA named the first space shuttle after the Enterprise on Star Trek. It was originally going to be named something else, but after receiving thousands of letters, requesting that the name "Enterprise" be chosen in honor of Star Trek, NASA decided it was a good idea.

Beyond that... I'm not going to get involved in this arguement. Both have had significant cultural significance, and trying to argue which is "better" in that regard is an exercise in futility.

Princess Sunflower
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:39:25 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darth Viscera

Wow, you are amazingly wrong

Obviously, since Star Trek has never had any sort of cultural impact, there have never been any guest astronauts on the show, or any culturally significant people such as Stephen Hawking.

NO! you are the one who is wrong here actually. Stephen Hawking DID appear in an episode of the TNG called "Descent Part 1". And yes...he did play himself. He was not "computer generated".

Hector Diens
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:39:49 AM
Wrath of Khan was great...

Jedieb
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:18:18 AM
Both have had significant cultural significance, and trying to argue which is "better" in that regard is an exercise in futility.
Futility maybe, but it can be fun. I agree wholeheartedly that BOTH have had a significant cultural impact. I prefer Star Wars, but I've enjoyed Trek since I was a kid. I don't know how anyone could say Trek hasn't had an impact. The Shuttle is glaring proof. Sunflower's right about that Hawking bit, that was another obvious one. I remember that in TNG's heyday guest spots on the show were a pretty big deal. Both have been around for decades and they'll continue to have fans and interest for years. Nemesis has proved the movies are basically done, but interest in the franchise is still there. Remember, the Star Wars franchise is going to get awful quite in a few years.

Hahahaha, yeah, what, for the word NERD in the dictionary -- there is now a picture of a bunch of Trekkies?
Yeah, they're not COOL like us Star Wars fans. ;) Doesn't someone here own most or all of the TNG DVD's? What could possibly be behind such "nerdy" behavior?

Figrin D'an
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:01:13 AM
Originally posted by Princess Sunflower
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darth Viscera

Wow, you are amazingly wrong

Obviously, since Star Trek has never had any sort of cultural impact, there have never been any guest astronauts on the show, or any culturally significant people such as Stephen Hawking.

NO! you are the one who is wrong here actually. Stephen Hawking DID appear in an episode of the TNG called "Descent Part 1". And yes...he did play himself. He was not "computer generated".

I think Viscera knew that... his post was riddled with sarcasm...

Darth Viscera
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:06:22 PM
Yes, Sunflower, I was being 100% sarcastic. I'm fully aware that Stephen Hawking was in that episode.

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:33:35 PM
He was funnier in the Simpsons, however :)

Hadrian Invicta
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:21:14 PM
I always liked ST a bit more because of their at least vague attempt at realistic physics, but that's because I'm more of a SciFi guy than a Sci Fantasy.

And DS9 was excellent as well. I just wish for once in a Sci Fi show or movie that they would quit making sounds in space!!!!! lol oh well

Princess Sunflower
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:11:38 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
Yes, Sunflower, I was being 100% sarcastic. I'm fully aware that Stephen Hawking was in that episode.

:o Ut OH! I was kinda wondering at first if you were serious or not. no worries :)

Darth23
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:23:58 PM
Originally posted by Hadrian Invicta
I always liked ST a bit more because of their at least vague attempt at realistic physics, but that's because I'm more of a SciFi guy than a Sci Fantasy.

And DS9 was excellent as well. I just wish for once in a Sci Fi show or movie that they would quit making sounds in space!!!!! lol oh well

SOUNDS

In

SPAAAAAAACE!

Think of them as dramatic elements, like different camera angles or soundtrack music

JMK
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:45:42 PM
WHAT????? No sound in space? That wouldn't be realistic at all!

Darth Viscera
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:47:48 AM
Play your ghetto boombox in space, then, and see what happens :)

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:31:43 AM
I just wish for once in a Sci Fi show or movie that they would quit making sounds in space!!!!! lol oh well

Dune.