PDA

View Full Version : Funny book series...:)

Alpha
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:05:39 PM
Anyone else read a series called Discworld? I just finished the book called Hogfather, and it is funny! Death is kewl!

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:06:58 PM
Never read the books, played the games though.

Sanis Prent
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:10:24 PM
psh! No....never read them :rolleyes

There are about a bakers dozen Discworld junkies on this forum at least...myself being one of them.

ReaperFett
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:13:43 PM
One I read was good, one I read wasnt :)

Sanis Prent
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:16:08 PM
I've really only read the ones pertaining to the Ankh-Morpork City Watch:

Guards! Guards! (reading now)
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch (will purchase when I find it in paperback)

Once I finish Guards! Guards! and Night Watch, I'll try to pick up the series chronologically. There are like a gazillion books out there.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:20:25 PM
Prachett has written a few duds. Down Under wasn't really funny, despite the promising start. It seems to me the ones that have either Carrot or Weatherwax are the better ones. Death is just plain flat out the best character.

Oh, avoid the book introducing Discworld. It's boring.

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:21:01 PM
My God. I don't believe you have only just read your first Discworld novel. Read more, now! :eek

Sanis Prent
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:21:51 PM
The Colour of Magic, Marcus?

Sanis Prent
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:23:02 PM
And....favorite Death quote :)...

I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I TURN UP ONLY ONCE.

Alpha
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:28:34 PM
I've actually read both the color of Magic already, sorry, forgot that one...I got Hogsfather because it focuses sooo much on death. :) Death is just the most awsome char!

Alpha
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:30:28 PM
„N The mother took a deep breath.
"You can't give her that!" she screamed. "It's not safe!"
IT'S A SWORD, said the Hogfather, IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.
"She's a child!" shouted Crumley.
IT'S EDUCATIONAL.
"What if she cuts herself?"
THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON.

A good one, and then...

„N "Just 'Ho. Ho. Ho' will do. Don't say 'Cower, brief mortals' unless you want them to grow up to be moneylenders or such." :D

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:40:32 PM
I like book groups "Wiz Biz" and "The Wizardry Cursed and Consulted"

A computer programmer gets teleported to a world of magic. Turns out, Magic can be "Programed" and can be worked like code. So by being a Geek, he becomes the most powerful Wizard ever.

They have some hella funny programmer quotes and sayings at the start of each chapter.

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade, if life gives you hemlock, do not make hemlockade. Know the difference between lemons and hemlock."

Check it out... And I will check out these so called books of yours.

Threepio
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:46:13 PM
The Color of Magic IS THE BEST!

I adore Rincewind. The Light Fantastic is...fantastic!

I've read:

The Color of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Mort
Sourcery

I'm dying for more. DYING!

THERE IS NO JUSTICE. JUST ME.

And Binky = teh bestest

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:51:41 PM
I think I've read about 17. One of my friends has every single Prachett book.

Sean Piett
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:17:56 AM
It's like I always say. If life gives you lemons, you blow those lemons to bits with your laser cannons!

Alpha
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:22:26 AM
If life gives you lemons...Squeeze them between your bitter fingers and throw them against the wall. :)

Rincewind is ok, but it's all about DEATH! :)

Bette Davis
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:32:40 AM
Rincewind is hilarious!

He's the Scooby and Shaggy of Discworld! Fett will appreciate that. Or he SHOULD. :)

ReaperFett
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:39:55 AM
We're all behind them! Go Scooby, go Shaggy! The rest of you? **** off! Scrappy Doo? A Magnum, *POW*....

:)

Zasz Grimm
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:46:48 AM
Haven't read it, sad to say. Will have to look into this after I finish up the last 2 books of the recent Dragonlance : War Of The Souls.

Oriadin
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:52:22 AM
I feel so left out. I havent read any of the books.

Emma Harvan
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:38:34 AM
Don't worry, I haven't read them either. I haven't even heard of them until now.

What exactly are they about because I just can't figure it out from this thread...:huh

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:48:51 AM
All you newbies to the Disc, tsh :rolleyes

Alpha, read The Fifth Elephant. See if you spot anyone familiar in there :)

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:56:02 AM
Has anyone read Douglas Adams? Hilarious writer, God rest his soul!

Emma Harvan
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:35:53 AM
:mneh @ Vega.

That made me more confused:(

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:57:36 AM
There's a character, or characters even, in 'The Fifth Elephant' who vaguely resemble certain characters on the boards :)

ReaperFett
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:37:09 PM
Like whom?

Emma Harvan
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:39:05 PM
Oh.

In that case I'll stick to Mr. Crichton, thank you very much:)

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:46:00 PM
Like whom?

Not me :angel

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:51:30 PM
Well Douglas Adams has a very monty-pythonish sense of humor. Very funny man. The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide has all five or six books he published for the series before his passing.

If you love quality fantasy read George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire... T

his fantastic epic series of books vaguely resembles the 14th and 15th century period of European history, a great cast including bastards, scoundrels, sworn knights and liege Lords. Even has a northern great wall (a la Hadrian's Wall) from which the rangers in Sworn Brothers of the Night Watch guard the seven provinces of Westeros from dangers beyond.

This is political fantasy at it's consumate best. Makes Lucas' prequels look pathetically skinny and flaky. It is where the line that divides good and evil can be too complex and amoral. This author has no qualms about killing off characters which is often unfortunate condition with contemporaries such as Williams, Tolkien, Jordan, Goodkind (the Ayn Rand clone of Jordan) and the very adolescent Feist/Eddings material. Martin's prose is marvelously descriptive as land and characters literally bleed off the pages. A consumate pageturning thriller with very detailed characterizations. One of the most talented writers I have even read, can't read anymore without identifying how absolutely paperthin other books can be.

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:39:05 PM
Several characters here have been shamelessly cloned from Discworld :D

Vega - Wolfgang von Uberwald
Diego - Sortof a mix between Wolfgang and the Baron of Uberwald
Vymes - Commander Samuel Vimes (duh)
Knobbs - Nobby Nobbs (again duh)

And probably more out there still...

Could argue that Elena is a counterpart of Sergeant Angua, but its a stretch.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:41:39 PM
She isn't stressy enough, though that's not to say she won't be in the future :D

Then I can get to work on finding her a Carrot :crack

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:53:53 PM
Shame there aren't any other pictures of her |I

Ro McCloud
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:48:53 PM
oooh! I'm in the library, so when I'm done on-line I think I'll see if they have any of these "books" you speak of......

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:46:13 PM
I hope she doesn't end up like Angua....arg she gives me a headache. If Carrot wasn't so nice, he would've belted her with a 2x4 by now!

Alpha
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:01:20 PM
Maybe I should make a char based on Death or Death of Rats...:)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:02:14 PM
AUGH! I haven't read any of the City Watch books yet!! STOP TALKING ABOUT THEM IN DETAILS!

>_<

:D

Alpha
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:36:23 PM
I haven't read any about the Watch either...:) Right now, I think I'm going to find Soul Music...:)