PDA

View Full Version : Groups Accepting Just Anyone?

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:37:39 PM
Hola, Kindo here once more. I've come to address a specific issue that has not really bothered me as much as confuse me.

Why are groups accepting most anybody who steps on their front lawn and wants to join? Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to be left out of anything that goes on, but why accept just anyone?

Take the Greater Jedi Order for example. I've found the Order's ways of doing things to be fine, but we have dealt with the problem of people coming along in the Recruitment Center, get accepted into the Order, then vanishing like ghosts. For one, in Star Wars they didn't have some place where people went to "audition" to be Jedi. They sent Jedi Investigators out to get medi-chlorian counts and deduct who they think should be in the Order. Why have some place where any yahoo can go and say they want to be a Jedi, then get accepted after saying how they want nothing more than to do good things in the galaxy?

Yes, I do understand that inexperienced RPers may come along and want to join(like I did with Kindo), but why not see them do a few threads in open roleplaying first and go from there? It would give them more RPing experience and the Order a better Jedi.

No, I'm not pointing out only the Order, but almost ever group. Why not wait and see how the person does, then accept them? Just a thought I had, and I'm not looking for any arguments, only to see other's perspective on this issue.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:47:53 PM
Okay, so when the hell did you get permission to bring how the Jedi do business up here, might I ask? Or anyone else? How GJO does things is not up for discussion or even comment in this place. Despite residing on the same server, GJO is seperate to SW-Fand in running and that is the end of that.

If you have a problem how GJO does things, bring it up in the right place.

I might also add, the same goes for any other group. How they are run is up to them and not up for general discussion.

Milivikal k'Vik
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:51:47 PM
As a member of TBH, I squarely don't care about GJO issues.

You've been here long enough to know better, Kindo.

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:57:31 PM
No, I'm not pointing out only the Order, but almost ever group. Why not wait and see how the person does, then accept them? Just a thought I had, and I'm not looking for any arguments, only to see other's perspective on this issue.

There you go. Quit throwing a fit, Marcus. You need to practice what you preach and calm down, go about things calmly. You might just start a flame fest. I just came to address a simple issue, not to start a war.

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:02:15 PM
Would it please everyone if I moved this thread elsewhere? It wouldn't be that hard to do that.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:06:06 PM
GJO is also an open group and deliberatly so. We WILL take anyone and that unfortunantly means now and then we get morons. However, we also get brilliance. This is roleplaying and GJO is a community of people. I will not have GJO become selective or have red tape nonsense.

That is all there is to it. And I am going to tell you once more because it seems that you just dont get it - This is NOT the place to bring up this issue. Do so in the proper place. You have no right to question how a group goes about it's business.

You also dont seem to get that the people behind the screens form a community and that it's community that is the point of a group. If you think GJO's acceptance policy is goign to turn into a bunch of elitist crap, think again. It will stay exactly as it is.

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:14:48 PM
You have no right to question how a group goes about it's business.

I can when I too, am part of that group. What you don't get is that people other than you, Marcus, have opinions. You need to quit thinking that you're the only one in the GJO and learn to speak for yourself, not for everyone else.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:20:21 PM
As long as I'm in GJO, it will have an open door policy.

It is not up for dispute. Ever.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:21:12 PM
Listen to me Kindo and you listen pretty well.

I stated bringing up in the right place. I stated SW-Fas is the wrong palce and that is what why I am restraining myself from giving you the virtual equvalent of a smack across the head. If you want to bring up a topic about how GJO does things, do so AT GJO.

Your speaking how groups do business in SW-Fans OOC. You have no right to do so. That is simply the end of file here. Anyone else trying the same thing as you did will get the same hostile response. I will also defend the right for any group to go about their buisness within their own walls - yes even The Shrine.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:22:19 PM
To answer your question, the entire point of the roleplaying forums is to have fun. If you want to assume the role of a Jedi you shouldn't have to endure any hassle in doing so, same with being a Sith.

I'm not speaking for any group, I'm just speaking for roleplaying in general. You shouldn't have to impress anyone or be approved by anyone before you're recognized as an RPer.

Sean Piett
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:23:00 PM
I had the impression that he was talking about groups in general, and just cited GJO as an example.

Sanis Prent
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:33:40 PM
That is precisely what he had stated, Piett.

Marcus...please cool down. :)

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:34:50 PM
People... IT WAS A SUGGESTION!!! Quit getting so worked up!

ReaperFett
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:48:09 PM
Kindo, you will find some smaller groups would do such a technique. But I feel for a large group it would be unworkable.

Sanis Prent
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:54:11 PM
The Black Hand, Shadowfaene, NRSF, and Sector Rangers are exclusive, I believe.

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:54:12 PM
I do see what you're saying, Reaper.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:55:14 PM
Marcus, all you had to do was tell Kindo calmly that this was not the place to be posting this. And yes, if he is a part of a group, he has every right to question a policy and feel free to offer suggestions to make it better if he so wishes. If the suggestion happens to be of ill taste, then turn it down with constructive critism.. not the out-right downgrading you spilled off.

As to Kindo's suggestion... I agree with most everyone on this: Open door policy, when dealing with message boards RP, and RPing in general, is a good thing to have. How else will a place grow? If there is a requirement to join and one must be admitted after something (like an RP where one's skills are tested and viewed) then said group will be labeled elitist. Those kinds of groups never last.. well not all groups *shakes fist at Charley for naming said groups that have lasted*

It's all about having fun, and having an excepting mind and open arms. If a new person joins up, then vanishes, then they don't share the love of writing. Those who do stay have the chance to learn from others, and increase their writing skills, as well as have the enjoyment of being apart of such a big, and in my mind, fun community.

Sanis Prent
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:59:00 PM
Well, if this was a one-sided fling about GJO, I would agree with Marcus in spirit, not in tone. But since its just a stratified look at all groups here, no harm in that.

ReaperFett
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:12:36 PM
I wouldnt expect Kindo to use TSO as an example, he probably knows not their ways. Heck, few days ago he thought they were dead ;)

Sanis Prent
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:14:03 PM
:lol true true

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:29:03 PM
Sadly, it's true. :)

imported_Eve
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:04:25 PM
Back in my day...

The first line of OOC problems between the groups came from being exclusive. I think it works for smaller groups that have a specific purpose, or are looking for certain types of members.

Used to be that when someone was turned away from a group, they'd become angry/bitter and carry on forever and ever, OOC. And that is never cool.

All in all, its up to the owners/founder/admins of a group. They started it, it's their baby. You don't like their way, you just go elsewhere.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:05:05 PM
I too, took Kindo's inquiry to be in general, not a blanket statement about GJO. No harm in asking :)

TheHolo.Net
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:12:50 PM
Open door policies in group membership is entirely up to the group members themselves, to dictate whether or not it is their policy.

As for my opinion from time and experiance, open door policies are the best ones, leading to fewer OOC issues with people either as outsiders insiders or just neutral.