PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoff Picks: Super Bowl XXXVII

Figrin D'an
Jan 19th, 2003, 10:30:45 PM
Sunday, January 26th, 6PM EST

Oakland Raiders vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, CA

Alright.... the big game. Get your pick in by 6PM EST next Sunday.

JMK
Jan 19th, 2003, 10:46:27 PM
I'm going to think long and hard about this one. I'm always a big believer in a good defence's ability to win championchips, but the Raiders just look so good on offense. Weather won't be a factor. Homefield is out. I guess it will come down to whoever is fresher in the 4th quarter. Can the Bucs keep it close enough through the 3rd to make a late charge? Can their running game tire out the old Raiders? Can the Raiders make a few quick scores and bury the Bucs early? How are they going to analyze this one?

JediBoricua
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:23:28 PM
Well if there is homefield to give, the Raiders will get it.

They were talking about this NFL Primetime, whenever the Raiders play the Chargers you easily get twenty thousand rabid raider fans making noise.

But I agree JMK, dangerous and disturbing this puzzle this, meditate on this I will.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:08:09 AM
So, the rest of you are picking the Buchs, eh? :)

Raiders for the win.

Figrin D'an
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:17:14 AM
If my personal sentiments are any factor, I'll probably pick the Raiders, simply because I'm pretty sure the Lombardi Trophy would burst in the flames if anyone from the Bucs franchise touches it...

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:43:01 AM
Pragmatically, the Raiders.

Idealistically, the Bucs.

They should call this the Pirate Bowl or something :)

JonathanLB
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:22:57 PM
That's what I was thinking was really cool, pirates in the Super Bowl! :)

Well you know who is going to win. Jerry Rice is 5-0 in the Super Bowl. That'll be 6-0 after next weekend.

Go Raiders! Raiders to win the Super Bowl :)

Score will be 28-17.

Jedieb
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:52:10 PM
Figrin you've got to let go of that Sapp hit! LET IT GO!!! ;)

Do I have to even say who I'm picking?

There's never been a #1 defense go up against a #1 offense in the Superbowl. If ESPN is right, the #1 defense has never lost a Superbowl once it's gotten there. This should be a very close game. Gruden should be able to help Kiffen prepare that defense for Oakland. If the Bucs could move the ball against Philly at the Vet, then they should be able to get some points against Oakland's defense. Their confidence has got to be at an all time high.

Stat boy CMJ can correct me on this, but I'm pretty sure this is Rice 5th Superbowl, he wasn't with SF when Montana won his first.

Jedieb
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:28:06 PM
If you find Keyshawn Johnson as obnoxious as I do you'll love this article by Jason Whitlock from ESPN.com:

all about Me-shawn
By Jason Whitlock
Page 2 columnist

Keyshawn Johnson erased all doubt Sunday. For those of you wondering whether professional sports had housed a more self-absorbed, self-centered, anti-team, publicity-seeking player, Me-shawn ended all debate.

Keyshawn Johnson did keep his shirt on after scoring his second-quarter touchdown.
Terrell Owens, Dennis Rodman and Brian Bosworth aren't even in the same solar system as Me-shawn.

You thought stomping on the Cowboys' midfield star was in poor taste? You thought the Little Leaguer who Soul Trained his way to home plate crossed the line? You still upset with Erica Kane for sabotaging Brooke's prom night 25 years ago?

None of that compares to Me-shawn's celebration after Ronde Barber, Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp, Monte Kiffin and John Lynch carried the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the biggest victory in the team's history, a 27-10 thumping of the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Championship Game.

(And let me add that Barber might have played the most complete defensive football game the NFL has ever seen. He forced a fumble, intercepted a pass, scored the game-clinching TD, drew two crucial penalties, broke up several third-down passes and didn't miss a tackle. The league should ship Tampa's defensive game film to Canton.)

Me-shawn chose to honor's Tampa's biggest sporting victory by donning a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey with Terry Bradshaw's name emblazoned on the back.

Me-shawn celebrates after the NFC title game with fans of the Steelers ... er, Bucs.
It blew my mind.

As far as I know, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, never in the history of sports has a man or boy won a championship and decided to celebrate it by wearing another team's jersey.

The whole city of Tampa and 52 Tampa Bay players are brimming with Buccaneer pride and wildly rejoicing the end of nearly three decades of suffering, and Me-shawn is sprinting to the Tampa locker room so he can throw on a Steelers jersey and draw the attention of Terry, Howie, Jimmy, James and the Fox TV cameras.

It blew my mind.

This wasn't Kobe Bryant showing up to Lakers games wearing a different sports legend's jersey. It was, as they would say at my father's Indianapolis tavern, a "grown-<smallfont color=#FF0000>-Censored-</smallfont> man" kissing Bradshaw's butt in hopes of getting a postgame standup with Bradshaw and a one-on-one interview Super Bowl week.

It's another example of Me-shawn's inability to be one of the guys, one of 53 Buccaneers. He just has to be different. That's what I can't stand about Me-shawn. My dislike for Me-shawn has virtually nothing to do with our run-in after last year's Tampa-Philly contest. I've been threatened and cursed at and challenged to a brawl by more athletes than I care to admit. My sarcasm is oftentimes misunderstood.

Keyshawn is just one of 53 Buccaneers -- but you wouldn't know it by watching him.
My problem with Me-shawn is that he's the worst kind of teammate. He's not near as good as he thinks. (He had another average performance Sunday, three catches, one TD and one huge drop.) And he doesn't care about the team. He's not Deion Sanders, a player who combined flamboyant style with spectacular play while remaining an outstanding teammate. Me-shawn is flamboyant. That's it.

Now I'm sure Me-shawn will run out some excuse about how he wore the jersey because Bradshaw, winner of four Super Bowls, symbolizes winning, and Me-shawn was just saying he wants to win as many titles as Bradshaw.

Bull….

If that's really the case, then put on a Joe Montana jersey. Oh, that's right. Montana isn't the star of Fox's NFL coverage. If Me-shawn cared anything at all about the Buccaneers and their long-suffering fans, he would've sported a Doug Williams or LeRoy Selmon jersey. But they're not on Fox's NFL show either, and Me-shawn doesn't give a damn about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Instead of honoring the franchise that sacrificed two first-round draft picks for his services, spoiled him with a $52-million contract, dumped a respected coach and handed the Raiders cash and picks for Jon Gruden just so the Bucs could reach the Super Bowl, Me-shawn glossed himself and a former NFL quarterback who doesn't give a damn about Johnson or the Buccaneers.

Sad.

Me-shawn didn't fool anyone. I give Fox credit. James Brown briefly mentioned that Me-shawn has "so much respect" for Bradshaw that he donned his jersey, but beyond that Fox ignored Me-shawn after the game.

And unless Me-shawn breaks out an old Ball State jersey, I'm going to lead a Me-shawn Super Bowl boycott.

Jason Whitlock is a regular columnist for the Kansas City Star (kcstar.com), the host of a morning-drive talk show, "Jason Whitlock's Neighborhood" on Sports Radio 810 WHB (810whb.com) and a regular contributor on ESPN The Magazine's Sunday morning edition of The Sports Reporters. He can be reached at ballstate0@aol.com.

I will forever call him Me-Shawn. :lol

Figrin D'an
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:48:27 PM
I very seldom agree with Jason Whitlock, but he's pretty much dead-on in that article.

Figrin you've got to let go of that Sapp hit! LET IT GO!!!

hehehe... I know, I'm a vengeful bastard... ;)

I actually wasn't considering that at all... it was more a comment on the Buc's everlasting reputation of futility.

This will be Rice's 4th Super Bowl... he was not yet in the NFL at the time of Super Bowls XVI or XIX

JMK
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:24:18 PM
Me-Shawn. As if there was any mistaking it. I bet you he's convinced that there is infact an "I" in team.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:12:59 PM
I pick the RAIDERS.

I will probably burn in hell for that, as a 49er fan. :mneh

JonathanLB
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:25:33 PM
ok 4th, he will win anyway, so I can't wait :)

Why would you burn in hell for picking the Raiders? I am both a Raiders enthusiast and a Niners fan now, I don't see why someone cannot be both unless they live in the Bay Area, but I don't.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:29:01 PM
If I picked the Raiders I would probably burn in hell as a Chief fan :p so as Jedieb you know who I am picking ;) I am praying the Buc defense swarms over the Raiders and knock Gannon on his butt several times. Also could their be some irony this weekend. Marcus Allen will probably be selected to go into the hall of fame and he was on the team the last time the Raiders won but he will not go into the hall of fame as a Raider, but instead as a Chief, he hates the Raiders now because of the way Al Davis nearly ruined his career by sitting him on the bench for like 4 years. I don't know if that means anything but I bet Allen won't be rooting for the Raiders :p

Jedieb
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:43:12 PM
Davis did screw Allen over. But think of it this way, without those years riding the bench Allen might not have had the legs to finish his career in KC. He was very effective for KC.

Jedieb
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:53:55 PM
The Bucs are 4 point dogs. I thought the odds would be a bit closer than that. NFL 2Night is coming on at 7. Hopefully Jaws will be on to break down some film for Figrin. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:58:01 PM
Yeah but I am sure Allen's numbers would have been even better, I guess he hadn't played with the Chiefs which I wouldn't have like to have seen. Allen had a good 5 years with KC, hopefully they will nominate the Chiefs old coach Hank Stram in with him.

Jedieb
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:45:40 PM
One of the best pass defenses in the last couple of decades against the MVP QB that set the record for attempts. Will the Bucs defense be able to shut Oakland down the way Miami did? The one thing the Bucs and Miami have in common is speed on defense. But Miami really got a boost from Ricky Williams in that game that helped keep Oakland's offense on the bench. Still, I think that Tampa will be able to do a better job against Oakland's offense than Tenn. or the Jets.

Gruden is still in Tampa with many of his coaches working on the game plan. He's going to have to be there for media day tomorrow, but I think he wants to avoid as much of the Al Davis questions as he can. Regardless of who wins, Tampa got their money's worth from the deal. But if Tampa wins Davis is going to be fuming. The Bucs were able to abuse Philly's linebackers with passes to the TE's, Johnson, and Jerivicius. I think Gruden will be able to create some favorable match ups against Oakland's defense.

JMK
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:55:52 PM
I don't think I would quite burn in hell, but being a Fish fan, I don't think I can side with the Raiders this week. Sorry Raider fan.

Taylor Millard
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:39:01 PM
Bucs.

I picked 'em in ever other playoff game, I'm gonna go with 'em again.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:57:44 AM
Well, I grew up in the Bay Area, so....yeah. But I stand by my pick.

Jedieb
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:06:05 AM
Just SHUT UP!

http://jmailer.starwave.com/cgi/mailform.dll

Go cast your vote for Me-Shawn! Remember, before the game against Philly he said Terry Bradshaw would have been a BETTER QB if he'd had Me-Shawn as a receiver. "I make ANY quarterback better!" I'm a Cowboys fan that hated the Steelers that beat Landry's Cowboys in two Superbowls, but even I wouldn't be ridiculous enough to say Bradshaw wasn't a great QB. Hall of Famer, Superbowl MVP, and 2 of his receivers are now in the Hall of Fame with him. Then me-Shawn caps it off by donning a Bradshaw jersey after the franchise's biggest win ever. Me-Shawn, JUST SHUT UP! :evil

jjwr
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:09:29 AM
Gotta pick the Bucs. Very similar defense to the Dolphins....except Better! Dolphins smacked around the Raiders offense pretty good(gave them their last loss).

It'll be a great game but I see the great D stepping it up and winning the SB.

Could you imagine, the Pats winning last year and the Bucs this year....just downright scary, would that mean the Bengals or Seahawks would win next year? :)

This sounds like the Giants vs Bills SB all over again, dominant defense vs the high flying offense, should be a great game!

Jedieb
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:07:42 AM
Pats, then Bucs, the 80's this isn't! This could end up being very similiar to the Giants V. Bills. The Bucs offense isn't going to grind out any monster 10 minute drives, but their offense is better than most people give it credit for. They've averaged over 24 points over their last 10 games. They rushed for less than 50 yards against Philly, but they got 32 attempts off. That was 32 times the EAgles never had a chance to hit Brad Johnson. They got a rushing TD and converted a few 3rd and shorts with the run. They should be able to have some success against Oakland's defense. I can't see Oakland shutting down this Tampa offense. Last year's yes, but not this years.

The Bucs were a consistent 6-2 over both halves of the season. That defense should be able to win the game with a couple of offensive TD's and a FG or two. I just hope Gramatica doesn't hurt himself after a big FG.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:47:04 PM
Heck most of the #1 offenses haven't done well in the SB, the Bills I think were #1 twice, the Dolphins (I think they were) Denver was #1 one year they lost (can't think which one) the Rams lost year and barely won the game three years ago, the only #1 offense that I can think that dominated its opponent was S.F vs Denver of course there could be others.

Darth23
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:14:55 PM
Since my Bucs beat my Eagles, I'll have to go with them to win it all.

CMJ
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:27:02 AM
Very torn....I'm an AFC guy, but pretty much the only squad in the conference I detest is the Rayduh's. :p

On the other side the Bucs are one of the only teams in the NFC I like.

BUT it's hard to pull against the AFC. :\ I'll be both happy and let down whoever wins, but I'm PICKING the Bucs.

Tampa 20
Oakland 16

GraNi NaColu
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:02:07 PM
The Oaklands Defense isn't as good as it used to be, and Alstott is just gonna run em over. So I'm goin for the Bucs.

JMK
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:12:18 PM
23-20 Bucs in an upset.

JonathanLB
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:26:12 AM
This will be a fun game, but I do hope the Raiders win...

JJWR, the Bungles will never win anything. Ever. You can quote me on that :) lol, j/k

God those poor guys...

jjwr
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:50:40 AM
JLB, your probably right, but I was just trying to make a point :)

Poor Marvin Lewis, it really is too bad to see him going to a team with such inept ownership.

JMK
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:33:43 AM
There really isn't much to say about the Bungles, is there? Those poor guys. If I was traded there or drafted by them, I would fear for my career. If I were drafted by them, I would seriously want to refuse to report to camp, but seeing as though it's still an NFL job, I'd go. :\

sirdizzy
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:08:21 PM
Bucs 34 Raiders 31

JMK
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:23:11 AM
That would be a shocker!

Jedieb
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:34:06 PM
I'm starting to think that whoever wins is going to win by around 10 points. It's a tough game to pick, but I think that if the Raiders are able to move the ball by running on Tampa and then passing, they'll win with 30 points. If the Bucs defense is able to dominate then I think we may see a score in the 24-10 range with the Bucs dominating Oakland the way they did Philly. We've had some great close games in the last few years, the 2 Rams Superbowls, but I think this one might be decided by the start of the 4th quarter.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:08:38 PM
A lot, not all, of the SB's are won by large margins. You guys are shaving it close this time ;)

CMJ
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:04:56 PM
Well LD is right, the Average margin of victory is about 15.5 PPG for all SB played.

Jedieb
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:26:38 PM
31-20 if Oakland wins
24-10 if the Bucs win

Jedieb
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:48:58 PM
In case anyone was wondering, they're going back to two weeks of hype between the conference championships and the superbowl next year.

ReaperFett
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:53:59 PM
Oakland

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:26:16 PM
Tampa.

Too bad I'm gonna miss it, though. MY boss scheduled me to close Sunday night. He said he'd try to get a radio though, so we can both listen in. ^_^

JediBoricua
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:25:05 PM
I'm gonna go with the upset. Tampa Bay by 3.

Figrin D'an
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:06:07 PM
Barring any freaky new information that should come my way tomorrow... I'm taking Oakland.

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:54:17 PM
Like this:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs02/s/2003/0126/1499166.html

Barret Robbins not only isn't going to start, he isn't even going to play. This is a huge loss for the Raiders. They have a capable backup at center, but he hasn't taken any snaps this week. The last thing Oakland needed to do was give the Buc's defensive tackles an even greater advantage.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:31:36 PM
Sapp must be droooling. The backup did start most of last year's games for the Raiders. He's an experienced veteran, but it's still a step down Robbins, a Pro Bowl center. This guarantees nothing, but it certainly doesn't help the Raiders. It's a distraction they shouldn't have had to deal with today.

ReaperFett
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:53:30 PM
I now realise why they have so many pauses in American Football. It's to make it hard for me to get into it. There I sit, trying to learn what is going on, and then they go to the adverts :)

ReaperFett
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:59:22 PM
WOW! Are commentary team just pulled MC Hammer in for an interview!

And in the stuido in the UK, SEAL! I remember these people from when I was aged in single figures! :D

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:57:43 PM
A couple of Million for 30 seconds and you get twice as many commercials as usual.

The Bucs are DOMINATING right now. If they get a TD here and go up 20-3 this one might be over. Even a FG is going to make it very tough for Oakland. You ........
TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't have big deficits overcome in a Superbowl. With that defense Tampa has to think this game is a few plays from being OVER. :crack

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:01:24 PM
Pretty anticlimactic game... this is on course to be worse than the Ravens/Giants matchup from a couple of years ago.

Tampa Bay won't give up a 17 point lead... no way, no how, no matter what the Raiders can draw up at halftime.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:05:55 PM
When defenses dominate, you get boring games. Something had to give. Either that #1 offense was going to prove it was better or Tampa's defense was giong to win the battle. When a defense wins a battle, you get 3 and outs and the other team gets worn out and dominated. If you go back to these last playoff games you've seen that defense just shut people down. They gave up 3 points over 59 minutes to the Eagles, slapped SF around for virtually the entire game, and now they dominated the #1 offense for 30 minutes. Somebody should make sure Tony D. gets a Superbowl ring. He and Rick McKay did an amazing job.

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:18:09 PM
I woudn't mind if it was a complete defensive battle, but the Raiders are getting thumped right now. They put up little resistance on the Bucs last two drives. It would be different going into the second half if the Raiders were only down by 3-7 points. But down by 17, they have little chance... the Bucs are going to tee off on Gannon in the second half, and it's going to be boring to watch, because the game is already over.

Admiral Lebron
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:23:09 PM
Hmm I'd like to see a comeback...but its impossible almost. But thats why their are commercials. ^.^

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:30:28 PM
Even early in the game, the Bucs were able to put together some drives to get that first FG and move the chains a bit. But the Raiders have had great field position and the Bucs have forced 3 3 and outs, a 6 and out, and two INT's. They're simply dominating. Meanwhile, Pittman has more than 70 yards rushing. That's a boost no one saw coming. Unless the Raiders march down the field and put 7 on the board with their first drive a rout may be on.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:34:07 PM
Another 3 and out to start the second half. Again, DOMINATION.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:51:14 PM
GAME OVER!
The Raiders look like they don't know what's hit them. This looks like an old 80's Superblowout. Oakland needed to fight back to start the 3rd quarter and they produced a 3 and out on offense and gave up an 89 yard TD drive on defense. They're done.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:57:26 PM
There's the defensive TD a lot of people were expecting from the Tampa defense. I don't think many thought it would put the Bucs up 34-3. I thought there was a good chance we'd get a blowout. It's here and it's not pretty.

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:02:03 PM
The winner of the playoff picks pool is jjwr, with a record of 9-2.

Congrats. :)

When adding the playoff totals into the regular season, the percentage winner and overall wins leader is... once again... Jedi Master Carr, with a .629 winning percentage and an overall record of 168-99.

So, congrats again to Carr on a great season of picks. :)

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:21:08 PM
How'd everybody else do?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:25:39 PM
Even with that blocked punt the Raiders still need 3 TDs I don't see that happening against that defense.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:31:26 PM
Every first down is huge because it's another 40 seconds off the clock. Tampa will run on every first down now and just pass on 3rd and long. If you see a 3rd and deep they'll run draws. That defense isn't going to give up 3 TD drives in less than 13 minutes. Another stupid penalty by the Raiders. Now the Bucs can run on 3rd and 3 or try a quick slant.

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:51:54 PM
Oakland got hosed on that 2-pt conversion... pretty crappy replay rule...

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:52:36 PM
Well the defense is letting up and the Raiders are showing some heart to make this a some what interesting finish. Madden and Michaels are saying a force out can't be challenged. So the Raiders just wasted a time out on a challenge they never should have made. The Raiders are going to need 2 3 and outs and maybe an onside kick. Any kind of drive by Tampa and the game is over. But then again, it looked like it was over quite some time ago.

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:57:49 PM
I agree that it was foolish to challenge the play, but the backjudge, for all his emphatic arm waving, was dead wrong. Oh well.

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:59:31 PM
It was nice to see Jerry Rice get another score to add to his playoff records, though.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:00:07 PM
They shouldn't have been going for 2pt conversions in the first place. If they'd just gone for the kick they'd only be down by 10. The game hasn't been close except for poor play by the bucs special teams.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:04:24 PM
I can't think of who to vote for MVP. Jackson has those 2 INT's so I may give him a vote. Fan votes at www.superbowl.com are going to count for 20% of the MVP vote.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:08:34 PM
And the game ends the way it SHOULD have! Derrick Brooks' 6th (or 5th?) defensive TD of the season and the Bucs' second defensive TD of the game. The Bucs defense DOMINATED that game. They let up a bit late in the game, but that INT and TD by Brooks was a nice summary of the first 3 quarters of the game. Rice, Brooks, Jackson, any of them could get the MVP. Madden voted for Rice and I think that was a good choice.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:14:42 PM
ANOTHER defensive TD to END the game!!!!! The defense ended the game the way they started it. Oakland showed some heart by making it interesting, but when there was the slightest doubt about the outcome of the game, the defense ENDED it. Great game and I think the Bucs defense can lay claim to being one of the best defenses in recent memory. (Certainly one of the best pass defenses.) I'd put them behind the 85 Bears and that Ravens defense, but they were simply dominant this season.

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:23:19 PM
Well... I'm happy for the guys that have been with the Bucs for a long time, and have been part of the building process under Dungy and Gruden. (I hope the Colts give Dungy a chance to win one of his own soon... I can't think of a more deserving guy than him.)

This is what... the ninth time out of eleven that a top-3 rated defense has won over a top-3 rated offense in the Super Bowl?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:26:21 PM
Congrats Jedieb the Bucs played great. I agree with where their defense ranks, and by the way I think that was the fourth most points ever in SB History by Tampa behind S.F. twice and Dallas. Also that was the most INT every by a QB passing Neil O'Donnel and I think several others have by QB. Finally as a Chief fan this is even sweeter, next year the Raiders are going to stink they will have to cut half their team to get under the cap, I hope they stink for the next 5 years.

jjwr
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:26:40 PM
Not a great game by the score but it was rather fun watching the Bucs tear apart the Raiders and their vaunted offense, it just wasn't even close.

Heck it wasn't as cloase as the 48-21 score and thats sad. I'm really suprised Gruden went soft on the play calling in the 3rd and kept giving the ball back to the Raiders, course as you said when it became even remotely in doubt the Bucs defense just finished them off.

5 Interceptions, 3 returned for Touchdowns, what 5 sacks? Wow.....that Bucs D is nasty, what really gets me is why the Raiders didn't even try to run the ball, instead they tried to throw it all over the place and it killed them.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:28:32 PM
9th out of 10th I think and the 8th out of 9 times a #1 defense has won if I remember the game stats I saw earlier. Rich McKay and Tony Dungy deserve a lot of the credit for this Superbowl. I like the fact that Gruden has on more than one opportunity given Dungy his due. Can you imagine an ego maniac like Brian Billick in a similiar situation. After following the Bucs for years I have to say that this probably wouldn't have happened without Gruden. The Bucs needed him to get over the hump. Living in Tampa during the Testaverde and the winking pirate years I can tell you this is something I thought I'd NEVER see. My sister still lives in St. Pete and she was part of the 30,000 that greeted the Bucs after the NFC Championship. She'll probably be there at the Superbowl parade. Man, everything good happened AFTER I left!

jjwr
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:28:38 PM
Yeah it was a record for Interceptions by a QB, considering how accurate and impressive Gannon was all year that number is very telling to how good this defense is.

I'm glad Me-Shawn didn't get a TD :)

Sadly this means the Patriots are now no longer the NFL Champions :(

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:32:20 PM
Pittman had a very effective game for the Bucs. Those are some of the quietest 125+ yards I've seen a running back get in a Superbowl. Alstot was great on short yardage as well. The Raiders just COULDN'T run on the Bucs. The Bucs kept forcing passing situations on 3rd downs and kept shutting the Raiders down. Poor special teams play let the Raiders back in the game. Take away that blocked punt and the game would have been a rout for the whole 4 quarters. The Bucs made Gannon look horrible at times. 5 INT's, I don't anyone in the "Raider Nation" saw that coming.

JonathanLB
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:37:23 PM
Well that sucked!

One of the worst Super Bowl's ever, unless of course you're a huge Tampa Bay fan.

Congrats to the Bucs, though. Great job, I am very impressed. That team is GREAT. They deserve to be called the greatest. You just can't deny how unstoppable they were this year.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:41:00 PM
Thanks Jon. At least Rice got a big TD for ya. I agree with you on it "sucking." One sided games are never fun to watch unless your team is on the winning end. The defensive stats are just guady. I never thought they'd pick off Gannon that many times. 11 in 18 games and then 5 against the Bucs. Wow.

Jedieb
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:42:30 PM
Hey, what's Me-Shawn doing talking to Lynn Swan? Doesn't he realize he's part of the EVIL media!:rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:04:39 PM
Well Jon its not just great for Buc fans but for Raider haters like me :p I am sure every Chief fan in the country rooted for the Bucs. Now we will have to see what will happen next season, I don't even want to begin to pick a team, I am hoping my Chiefs will do it but it won't be easy.

JMK
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:06:43 PM
Man, those Raiders finally got a taste of a good defense and they were frazzled from the beginning. The whole Raider team didn't bother to show up. What really irked me though is Callahan's post-game thoughts. He didn't give the Bucs ANY props whatsoever. "We beat ourselves. We dropped too many passes. We missed too many tackles." Dude, you got trampled from the opening kickoff by a much better team, suck it up and show some class. He was basically saying that the Bucs didn't win, but that the Raiders lost it. What a load of bs. Oh well, free lunches for for a week now! :rollin

JonathanLB
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:30:30 PM
Actually it's kind of cool for the Niners. I mean, the Niners lost to the best team in the NFL. That's not a bad way to lose, IMO. Does their loss look so bad now? No. It was, what, 31-6? That's not all that bad really. I mean, the Bucs made everyone look bad -- they weren't really bad.

You can't say, "Wow the Raiders SUCK!" No, the Raiders are a very good football team, so were the Eagles, so were the Niners -- and the reason the Bucs are the greatest team is because they made ALL three look PATHETIC. That's great football.

Tampa Bay was a favorite early in the season to make it deep into the playoffs and they really impressed me with almost every game. They had a solid, consistent season and followed it up by showing that their defense was absolutely incredible in their playoff victories. I've hardly ever seen such domination. They ran the Raiders clear out of that stadium.

It was a good sports day for me, though, got to watch my Blazers go to Dallas, vs. the team with the best record in the league, and pull off the upset without their leading scorer (Wallace) :) It was tight...

Jedieb
Jan 27th, 2003, 10:55:24 AM
What a day, what a day!:D

Next year the Raiders are going to be close to $50M over the cap. A lot of that is tied up in a few contracts, but they're going to have to make some significant changes. The Bucs are only $9M over and I can think of a certain overpaid slow footed wide out that might be cleared out to make some room..... ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:04:28 PM
LOL Jedieb. Hey you think Rice might retire? I think he should he has won 3 SB their is no need to try to win one more espeically since next year the Raiders will probably be in last place. I think Woodson should retire as well, not sure about Brown and Gannon they might go on for one more year.

JonathanLB
Jan 27th, 2003, 03:49:16 PM
No, Raiders will be back in the playoffs next year... but for any team to make the Super Bowl two years in a row is... very tough.

Rice said he will not retire. Gannon said he has to play again after that shameful performance. That poor guy must feel bad, lol. It's not his fault really, I mean maybe somewhat, but the Bucs make anyone look bad.

"The Bucs are only $9M over and I can think of a certain overpaid slow footed wide out that might be cleared out to make some room..... "

ROFL. Yeah seriously. My god how funny/cool would that be, cut that guy back down to Earth with the rest of us. Does he not realize that he is the most arrogant dillweed on the planet?!

sirdizzy
Jan 27th, 2003, 04:32:51 PM
i really doubt the raiders will be back in the playoffs next year

the raiders were chucky's team he built them and made them what they are then he showed it in the superbowl while alos showing what an idiot of a coach calahan is (his management of the team in the 4th quarter was dispicable)

hell if barry switzer (that was jimmy's team and while jones won't admit i bet he regrets firing jj) can take a cowboys team to the superbowl and win bill can have 1 good year too and he just had it

the team is going to start to fall apart around him and he won't be able to repair it just like switzer wasn't able too

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 27th, 2003, 04:46:19 PM
Jon they have to shed 50 million so they will have to cut a lot of players probably, especially if Rice doesn't retire, he is a fool if he plays another year because they are going to stink, especially on defense where they will be shedding much of the money. I expect them to go anywhere from 6-8 wins, history shows this the last 2 super bowl losers, Ny Giants and St. Louis Rams both finished under .500 the following season so I think the Raiders will be the same because of the cap problems. Most likely the division will be won between Denver and Kansas City both teams have the talent just need to be more consistent.

Figrin D'an
Jan 27th, 2003, 05:30:19 PM
The Raiders CAN shed enough salary and still keep most of those older stars, but it won't be easy. If they do decide to go that direction, they'll will be very thin at a lot of positions, and any injuries would kill hopes at a playoff run.

Gruden has already said that he wants Keyshawn back... (why, I have no idea)... he's such a waste of cap room. McKardell is good enough to be the #1 receiver, and Jurevicious has elevated his game enough to make a capable #2 option. They still have Carl Williams, a pretty experienced guy. They should dump Mr. "I can only run slants and square-ins because I'm so damn slow" and pick up a free agent to be a solid #3 option.

There are a lot of other interesting questions going into the off-season around the league...

- Will the Lions go after Mariucci? I say yes... Millan wanted Mooch in Detriot last year, but couldn't do it. They'll talk to Dennis Green, and maybe Tom Coughlin, but if Mooch want's the job, it's his.

- Will the Bengals keep the #1 pick and take Carson Palmer, or trade it down for more picks? With Marvin Lewis at the helm now, I'm tending to think the later... he's going to want to build that defense around Takeo Spikes... that's means the more picks, the better.

- Will Kurt Warner be in St. Louis next season? I guess his relationship with Martz has gotten a little better, but there is still some tension. It seems unlikely that the Rams will keep both Warner and Bulger. The big question is, which one will go? Bill Parcells is going to be looking for a QB in Dallas... maybe he'll get involved.

- Who will be the new man in San Francisco? Dennis Green? Methinks it's good possibility.

CMJ
Jan 27th, 2003, 05:35:12 PM
Congrats to the Bucs, who proved themselves a great team.

My mostly uniformed pick for next year...the Tennessee Titans.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 27th, 2003, 06:19:15 PM
Also if the Raiders keep their older players they will have problems for years, if I were them I get rid of a lot players like the Ravens did and rebuild otherwise they will be bad for a decade. Also about Detroit, did they fire their head coach?? And I agree with your assement about Cincinatti the last thing the Bengals need is another QB they already have three on the roster, though none of them are great their is no guarentee that Palmer will be great either besides he wouldn't help its hard when you are on the ground our your defense stinks. They need more pics so I say trade it.

Figrin D'an
Jan 27th, 2003, 10:25:05 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Also about Detroit, did they fire their head coach??

Yup, Mornhinweg got canned. They'll push hard for Mooch, and if he wants the job, it's his.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 27th, 2003, 10:37:33 PM
Yeah I checked ESPN right after you said that and there it was. I think they will push hard for Mooch too, I think its a great opportunity for him a lot better than Jax.

sirdizzy
Jan 28th, 2003, 01:40:16 AM
remember football fans always take the wind ;)

Jedieb
Jan 28th, 2003, 07:36:27 AM
The Bucs are stuck with Me-Shawn because cutting him or even trading him would result in a big salary cap hit. They're going to lose some free agents, but the core of the team is under contract; Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Brad Johnson, Me-Shawn. I wouldn't be surprised if they go out and try to draft a young, speedy receiver or maybe pick someone up in free agency that can stretch the field a bit. So the Bucs are in very good shape. As I look back at the season, the defense played some of the best football it ever has, but that wasn't what made the difference this year. The difference this year was Gruden and the offense. The best defensive game I ever saw the Bucs play in the playoffs was their loss to the Rams in the NFC championship game. But because they were so inept on offense they lost the game. for the last 5 years I've seen them week in, week out. When they lost it would invariably come down to a series of missed opportunities on offense that would compromise the defense and end up costing them the game. Can they repeat? They've got a good shot, but they're going to have to contend with a bitter Eagles team, a possibly revitalized Rams team, and 2 or 3 surprise contenders in the conference.

The Raiders are going to be in trouble. They can keep many of their older stars, but the salary cap is going to force them to fill a lot of spots with young and inexpensive talent. They are going to lose a lot of depth and that's not good if you've got an older team. Throw in their division and you're probably going to see them struggle to make the playoffs.

Only one thing is for certain, the Bungles will SUCK. If you're a closet Bungles fan you can't even take solace from the Bucs championship run. Yes, the Bucs defined losing for 2 decades. But if you look at what turned them around you see why the Bungles are still doomed. Here's a quick run down of what led the Bucs to the Superbowl;
1. Cheap Bastard Hugh Culverhouse sold the team to the Glazers. (The Bucs were losers, but they turned a profit year after year.)
2. The Glazers, who were commited to winning, hired Rich Mckay. (Who in turn drafted guys like Lynch, Brooks, and Sapp.)
3. McKay hired Tony Dungy who along with Monte built the defense you saw Sunday.
4. After straining their relationship with McKay and botching Dungy's firing because they were salavating over the prospect of hiring Bill Parcells the Glazers did WHATEVER it took to get the hottest coach they could. They didn't settle for an also ran, they broke open the bank and got Gruden. If Gruden hadn't of been let go you probably would have seen Mooch in Tampa Bay.

NONE of these things are in place in Cinn. Sorry Bungles, enjoy your Ken Anderson and Boomer memories.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 28th, 2003, 06:12:18 PM
Basiclly Brown will have to die or sell the team before they get better. I agree with you about the Bucs Jedieb that is good anaylsis. I also think it will be difficult for the Raiders, first the Chiefs will get better, especially on defense and could pass the Raiders. Their our the Broncos, though if the rumors are true and they sign Elvis Grbac to be their starting QB they won't get anywhere. Not sure about San Diego they could make a run, their QB needs to get better though for them to have a chance.

JMK
Jan 28th, 2003, 06:42:28 PM
If the Dolphins can just for once avoid a late season nose dive they may be ok. Of course, they will need a couple players to plug their holes IMO, but they can do some real damage.

sirdizzy
Jan 28th, 2003, 08:47:22 PM
actually i heard today that the broncos are actively going after jake plummer as their #1 option for QB

JonathanLB
Jan 29th, 2003, 02:38:36 AM
I don't have much to add to what Jedieb said. I think his analysis is excellent from what I know.

I would say the Raiders will face an extremely tough battle making it back to the Super Bowl, if that is what they think they can do. The Bucs, however, stand a solid chance of managing at least to defend their title. I'd say you have to believe they have a 50% chance of making the Super Bowl again, if not winning it. The core team is going to be there, actually they seemed to improve at the end of the season, honestly, and that is scary.

I was pulling for the Raiders because that was the last, best chance for those veterans. They may think they have another run in them, but I am not so sure. You know, the year before this one, they made a gallant attempt and barely fell short, too, and this time, this was their time, this was their best chance, but the Bucs were clearly the better football team and I'm not sure the Raiders, in this form, will make it back to the Super Bowl to try again.

jjwr
Jan 29th, 2003, 09:16:58 AM
The problem with the Raiders is they're so old in so many positions. Next year just to get under the cap they'll have to cut a ton of players and replace them with rookies or cheap FA's, then the next year or two they'll have to basically rebuild the offense around new players as the core of the team will be retiring as they're so old.

Al won't go for a total rebuilding year right after the SB but thats what they need, they need youth and by putting it off they're going to hurt themselves for a few years. Next year with the Salary Cap replacements and the year or two after trying to replace Gannon, Rice, Brown, etc.

Bengals....they may not be as bad next year. They've finally got a coach who actually has a clue, they've got decent offensive weapons and a very solid defensive nucleus.

If Brown realizes what a idiot he's been and lets the new coach actually try and build a winning team and spend some $$$ then maybe they'll have a shot. I'm not saying 12-4 by any means but possibly a 8-8 run next year.....possibly :)

Jedieb
Jan 29th, 2003, 10:20:54 AM
That's the one thing the Bungles do have in place, a good coach. But a good coach needs help. He needs a GM and decent owners. I don't see how Marvin Lewis is going to be able to turn it around. If he gets 6-8 wins out of that franchise he'll probably be coach of the year.

The Dolphins might be my AFC Champs pick for next year. If Fiedler can stay healthy and Williams has another great year then look out. They may end up playing the Chiefs or the Broncos for the AFC Championship. The Jets and Bills may make a run also. The AFC should be competitive again next year.

The Niners will be interesting. If they get the wrong coach in there things may fall apart. If it happened to the Rams it can happen to anybody.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 29th, 2003, 11:41:36 AM
I heard that about Plummer but what is Denver's cap situation? I am sure Plummer will be going for big bucks, I also feel Dallas might take a look at him. Also their is the Trent Green situation, he is due a huge bonus which I know the Chiefs can't handle, they are trying to work out a extension and rework his contract, I think he will, I am sure he knows he will make more money with KC next year then with anybody else.

JonathanLB
Jan 31st, 2003, 03:41:18 AM
I think Niners will be better next year, getting lots of injured players back, people have more experience, and hopefully they can build on their success from this year.

It was gay firing Mariucci. I hate those fools. I'm still mad about that decision and will be for many years.

JMK
Jan 31st, 2003, 05:09:12 PM
Yeah, if they don't replace him with someone just as good, the Niners may not get any better. I think NFL coaches have the biggest impacts on their team's performance.

Jedieb
Jan 31st, 2003, 05:49:33 PM
One of the best unemployed coaches out there is Dennis Green. But I don't think he's going to get a job anytime soon because of his Coach/GM demands. I think Holgrem's flop in Seattle has really hurt the coaches who want total control. I mean, if Parcells couldn't get it, the WHO can?