PDA

View Full Version : Gods and Generals - Awesome

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:55:59 PM
A prequel to the historical drama Gettysburg is opening next month called 'Gods and Generals'. A second work strongly based off with another meticulously researched Jeff M. Shaara history novel. The film is ten years in the making with Jeff Daniels reprising his role as Gen. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain. As those that have viewed Gettysburg can not deny the strength of the cast especially the standout performances of Jeff Daniels, Martin Sheen as Gen. Robert E. Lee, and Tom Berrenger as Longstreet. Another role in which Berrenger's underrated talents excelled (a la Platoon). This is new news to me thus this disjointed post. :)

Darth Viscera
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:17:43 PM
YES! I've read the trilogy, and all historical books by Jeff Shaara. I absolutely cannot wait for this movie, I hope that all the original cast return, I hope to buy the DVD, I hope that the cast returns again for The Last Full Measure, I hope to buy that DVD, and I wish that I was there back in 2001 and 2002 for the GaG reenactments/filming. I knew a guy who was in the Gettysburg movie. In the scene where Chamberlain is looking over the battlefield after the victory, he's lying on the ground, squirming a bit, then deciding to stay still and pretend he's dead.

Darth Viscera
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:21:44 PM
http://www.ronmaxwell.com/godsandgenerals/gandg_1.jpg Look there, that's Longstreet on the left, Lee in the center, maybe Jackson on the right?

I can't wait for the action figures!

Darth Viscera
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:25:44 PM
And the guy that they got to play Jackson looks just like him!

Darth Viscera
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:27:48 PM
http://www.ronmaxwell.com/godsandgenerals/gg_july_09_small.jpg Uh oh, it's General Hill. Before the conversation is over, he's going to threaten to duel someone to maintain his honor!

Darth Viscera
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:29:31 PM
http://www.ronmaxwell.com/godsandgenerals/gg_july_14_small.jpg

Imagine that picture with a yellowish hue and I think we have our opening credits Confederate picture :)

Darth Viscera
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:34:22 PM
That Bob Dylan song "Cross the Green Mountain" that they used for the end credits couldn't possibly be worse, though. I sincerely hope that they got John Williams for the main score again.

Darth Viscera
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:42:20 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Martin Sheen is not returning as General Lee! They got Robert Duvall to do it! CRAP! Martin Sheen had that soft voice and nearly crazily faithful attitude! He WAS Lee! Double dog darnit!

Evil Hobgoblin
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:45:10 PM
Somebody mentioned Martin Sheen?

I gotta say, I really like Martin and Charlie. They are both excellent talents, both of whom I would be interested to see in a single war film.

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 19th, 2003, 10:09:14 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Martin Sheen is not returning as General Lee! They got Robert Duvall to do it! CRAP! Martin Sheen had that soft voice and nearly crazily faithful attitude! He WAS Lee! Double dog darnit!

Oh Man! I don't like the idea of Robert Duvall portraying General Lee. And I just found out that Bruce Boxleitner, yes, Bruce Boxleitner of television fame is replacing Berrenger in the Gen. James Longstreet role. Horrid! Stephen Lang is the actor portraying Stonewall Jackson. Berrenger and Daniels, IMHO, put forth the best performances in Gettysburg.

Vis, I had no idea this thing was being made not to mention ten years in the making. It crept up on me and said, 'Boo!'. Are there really going to be action figures? You mean I can have General Lee and Longstreet figures to play with? *heh*

Hob if you are a fan of the Sheens, rent Gettysburg Now! Great war movie!

Edit: Status Updates!

Darth Viscera
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:13:27 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/gods_and_generals/ -Trailer

I wish they had stuck with Martin Sheen, but his schedule with The West Wing conflicted, so they went with Robert Duvall, who was originally scheduled to be Lee in Gettysburg. They say that Duvall is a descendant of Lee, but I don't see it. Duvall has a rough, somewhat Georgian accent (sounds like a Georgian twang), very different than Lee's soft Virginia gentleman voice that Sheen pulled off so elegantly. I honest to God cannot imagine Lee with a Georgian twang. Robert Duvall is just too fruffy to be Lee.

Also, Tom Berenger wanted to play Stonewall Jackson, said that Longstreet was too small a role for him, and apparently he acted like a jerk during the first movie, started changing his lines in the script or something.

20th Maine is going to get absolutely slaughtered in this film at Fredericksburg, if they're true to the book. Chamberlain will be laying in a field of corpses, playing dead for a few hours.

Taylor Millard
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:26:44 AM
. And I just found out that Bruce Boxleitner, yes, Bruce Boxleitner of television fame is replacing Berrenger in the Gen. James Longstreet role. Horrid

Oh give Boxlietner a chance. He's a big Civil War buff and a pretty good actor (inho atleast)...He'll do fine. Besides...he does have presence on TV (If you've watched Babylon 5 you'll know what I mean). He'll do just fine. :)

CMJ
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:17:41 AM
I loved "Gettysburg"(and consider myself kind of a Civil War buff), I'm looking forward to this big time.

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:29:59 AM
Originally posted by Taylor Millard
Oh give Boxlietner a chance. He's a big Civil War buff and a pretty good actor (inho atleast)...He'll do fine. Besides...he does have presence on TV (If you've watched Babylon 5 you'll know what I mean). He'll do just fine. :)

I hope so, Taylor, I hope so! I just haven't seen Bruce in anything so seriously dramatic as this movie to measure him by. Berrenger may have been a big jerk in the first movie but the dude is built for roles like this. IMHO, about half the roles Berrenger has taken appears to be almost mis-cast. He just is not very good at playing the sensitive, soft characters... he seems to struggle smoothing the rough, hard edges. Nonetheless I can hardly wait to see this film which opens February 21!!!

shiggitycheryl
Feb 7th, 2003, 07:51:48 PM
I got talked into reading the book when I was working at Barnes and Noble. I'm anxious to see how the movie lives up to it.