PDA

View Full Version : A Walk With Love and Death

Sejah Haversh
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:47:45 PM
Does anybody know where I can find a copy of "A Walk With Love and Death" on DVD, or has anybody even heard of that film before?

It's a rare one, but was quite interesting. Made back in the 60's, I think, it was set in the middle ages and really shed light on a lot of little thought about truths. I saw the first 45 minutes of it a few years back, and really want to know how it ended, and want to see it all at the same time. So, if anybody can give me a hand, that would be great.

And, if you ahve seen this movie, did it end well? Man, this has been gnawing at me for years....

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:50:15 PM
What the need for it Mr Sejah I might ask? Nothing relaly indepth about the question just noisy and interested..

JonathanLB
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:55:40 PM
Never heard of it, but sounds interesting.

What makes me most frustrated is all of the films from the 1910's and whatnot just totally lost apparently, and many that exist, still not on DVD or VHS. They are just locked away in vaults somewhere, where only a few people have ever seen them. That's just so... lame. How cool would it be, at least for film buffs, if someone made like an 8-DVD boxed set with 100 one-reel films from Cecil B. DeMille or D. W. Griffith or whatever. I'd buy that for sure, so would many film buffs, but who knows how much of that has even survived. :(

Sejah Haversh
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:56:05 PM
Well, it was about a somewhat wealthy student in a college of sorts who decides he would rather see the world than read about it in a book. So, he sets out to learn about things fisrthand, and finds out very quickly that nothing is as he thought it was, and that life can be very harsh.

I was attracted to the depth of the characters, and the daring of the plot at that time. Most 60's medieval movies were all knights and shiny plate armor and otehr crap that was not how it was. This was more real, and I really want to know how it ends.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:00:11 AM
Sound like an intellectual movie, I wouldn't mind seeing it, though I'm not a junkie with movies, and normally dont go pass 1985 in what I see in movies. I've heard of characters like this though, but the interesting element of this is that is that it is in a medivel time, which is suprising, cause like you said their were the perspective of many at the time that it was dragons and all that such.

How did you hear about this movie or see it?

Taylor Millard
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:01:18 AM
imdb.com says it's not out on DVD.

I dunno if it will be but I'd keep my eye out for it though. You never know...says it's not even out on video either.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:03:13 AM
The 45 minutes of it I saw had a very, very serious impact on how I now think about historyand the human aspect of it. I cannot generalize civilizations anymore, or say that knights all wore plate armor and went about doing good all the time.

Fact is, most knights didn't own any of their own armor, it was sort of loaned to them by their Lord if it had his seal or crest on it, or they'd have leather or riveted plate-on-leather armor most of the time. And they were jsut more eliete soldiers, not superheroes.

In changing my thinking like that, my book came about, as did the depth of character for Sejah and all my other characters. I'm not saying it was jsut that movie that did it, but it did make me think, and so I give it a lot of credit. But, I want to know the ending!

If ANYBODY can find it, please let me know. It was on Fox during the daytime about five or six years ago, that's the only time I ever saw or heard of it.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:09:56 AM
I never trust Fox, I see good movies on there once and a while and I look 'em up as you are trying to right now and never find them. It's like vanishing movies were played or something. Have you tried looking it up on Google and finding a site that has anything that is of merchandise.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:12:40 AM
Couldn't find it anywhere on the net.

Think I might have to resort to Scarecrow.

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:15:39 AM
Plate armor is a rarity, and an anachronism that is more befitting of the early Renaissance than of the medieval period. In fact, most of the romanticism of a Knight and his chivalry and code of ethics, and the quests and duels they embarked on, were done in a time when the battlefield was being introduced to an altogether different force - the gun.

Back in the day, it was mostly mail, with limited amount of plate.

JonathanLB
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:29:06 AM
Don't go past 1985, now that is funny. Most of the greatest movies in history come well before 1985. Not to say that since then we haven't had great ones, but that was 17 years ago -- there were 90 years of cinema history before that and many of those years were quite good, too :)

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:47:49 AM
Plate armor was almost wholly synonymous with nobility and wealth but due to the introduction of gunpowder this radically changed the face of warfare eventually ruling plate armor completely antiquated and insufficient.

Interesting period would be the Hundred Year's War between France and England during 14th to 15th century. And during the crusades between 12th and 13th century. Plate armor in one form or another was utilized for about three or four centuries.

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:39:15 AM
eh...12th and 13th century were predominately marked with mail usage in the nobility. Full plate was rare. More common was partial plating, augmented by mail.

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 19th, 2003, 03:09:14 AM
Originally posted by Diego Van Derveld
eh...12th and 13th century were predominately marked with mail usage in the nobility. Full plate was rare. More common was partial plating, augmented by mail.

Of course but to have a more comprehesion of the development of plate armor and the answers why it creation was revolutionary lie in the 12th and 13th century with advancement of greater weapons. Now full plate armor was at it's height during the 14th and 15th. And would continue onto the 16th and 17th century though by now it popularity had been greatly diminished with the inception of gunpowder and arquebusiers.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:04:20 AM
I know discussions on arms and armor are great, and I enjoy them myself, but, could I politely ask for a return to topic in this thread?

Grr, I was hoping I wasn't the only person who knows of this film. If you read this, and you know about it, PM me, or post here or,well, something, just let me know if you know where to find it. Thanks.

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:58:07 AM
Nope but you can order the book...

Walk With Love and Death by Hans Koning
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1588381048/qid%3D1042973700/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-0148968-7286439

Sejah Haversh
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:12:13 PM
Hey, thanks! I wonder why I couldn't find that...

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:34:49 PM
Your welcome! BTW, I have failed to dig up much on this author or this particular work. The information I gather was his full name was Hans Koningsberger which he shortened in 1972. I can't even find the first print publishing date of 'A Walk with Love and Death'. The movie version was made in 1969, directed by John Houston and starred his daughter Angelica Houston. How did this movie fall into such obscurity. Interesting.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 19th, 2003, 09:29:28 PM
Honestly, I think the reason was because the masses weren't ready for it. Not that it was over their heads, but at the time there wasn't as much of a drive to see a movie that had a core in scholarly ambition. Still, I'll keep searching, and I'll be testing Scarecrow Video tomorrow to see if their slogan is true.

They are based in Seattle, and have the motto, "If it's on video or DVD we have it." So far, they've not lied to me when it came to obscure titles. Still, this one could prove more difficult.

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 19th, 2003, 10:17:58 PM
Good luck! :)