PDA

View Full Version : I think comedy actors are severely underestimated.

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:45:13 AM
Somebody once said that you can take a dramatic actor and put him in a comedy, and he will be unfunny...yet you can take a comedy actor and put him in a dramatic film, and he will shine.

I believe this wholeheartedly, at least for actors that have been pidgeonholed into their genres.

For example:

Bill Murray (SNL, a gazillion comedy movies) - Then, The Razor's Edge.

Ron Livingston (Swingers, Office Space) - Then, Band of Brothers.

Jim Carrey (Ace Venturas, Liar Liar, the Mask, etc) - Then, The Majestic.

I really applaud casting directors who aren't afraid to make that leap of faith. None of those I would have ever dreamed could play serious roles, until I saw them work.

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:58:45 AM
*applaudes*

I agree 1000%.

JonathanLB
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:27:19 AM
After taking that film comedy class, I definitely must agree. Most comedy actors are simply good actors in general, but they also happen to have the gift of being really funny :)

For Carrey, I'd cite the examples of Man on the Moon and The Truman Show specifically. I've heard a few people call both of those movies comedies, LOL!!!! I want to know WHAT they were smoking and how much it costs, not to mention where to get it. The Truman Show is a serious drama, it isn't funny whatsoever. Star Wars is way funnier than The Truman Show, but it's not a comedy either. Man on the Moon is about a comedian, and it is funny in parts, of course, but it is a tragic film in many respects and not exactly a comedy. You can make a serious movie about a comedian without it being a comedy. That's what Man on the Moon is.

JediBoricua
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:31:25 AM
I have to agree with this remark. Completely.

But there are some serious actors that IMO do well in comedies. Rober DeNiro for example, and even Jack Nicholson. Then again, they are legends of cinema, not to many of those around.

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:34:41 AM
I found The Truman Show to be funny :)

JMK
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:38:06 AM
I agree too. It isn't easy being funny. It's just not being able to recite a joke, there's so much more to it than that.

Owen Wilson, mainly a comedic actor, then does Behind Enemy Lines. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:13:08 PM
I think Comedy is harder and that is why it is a shame that the academy looks down on it so much.

Jedieb
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:17:20 PM
How about Joe Pesci? Great in dramatic roles like Goodfellas and Raging Bull and simply hysterical in his comedic roles like My Cousin Vinny and Lethal Weapon 2, 3, & 4. Tom Hanks started out as a comedic actor and look where he is now. Same thing with Robin Williams. One day he's Mork then the next thing you know he's a pycho taunting Pacino.

ReaperFett
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:02:55 PM
One day he's Mork then the next thing you know he's a pycho taunting Pacino.
And what about his recent films? ;)

JMK
Jan 18th, 2003, 03:25:41 PM
I think Pesci might be the best example yet. I grew up watching him as Leo Getz, then saw him in those gangster movies and was shocked that little Leo could be shooting teenagers for not answering a question properly or stabbing folks in the neck with a pen. He does them both so well. Don't forget Home Alone either. ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:13:21 AM
Well said. Comedic actors do seem to be able to act, and act extrememely well. For Carrey, The Truman show was his best and really, he could win an Oscar one day. Should have for Truman.

For Williams, you can see how good he was by going further back to Good Morning Vietnam. Blazingly funny there, but still... excellent acting.

Oh, and who remembered Hanks in his comedy roles now? Double Oscar winner, who starred in "Big" and "Turner and Hooch".

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:17:27 AM
Don't forget his start on "Bosom Buddies"

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 10:36:09 AM
And what about his recent films?
From Mork to Insomnia is over a 20 year gap and covers almost all of his film career. Get it? ;)

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 10:42:28 AM
Not that anybody would remember, but Cary Grant had the same problem throughout his career. The only Oscar he ever got was an honorary one I believe. Really great comedic actors get the last laugh because they end up having long careers and big paydays.

ReaperFett
Jan 19th, 2003, 12:22:11 PM
eb, read it again, and notice you missed a joke :)

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:56:46 PM
Another reaper special? I think we all missed it. ;)

ReaperFett
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:59:32 PM
You said hes a psycho taunting Pacino. YOU NEVER MENTIONED INSOMNIA!

Jeez, it's like teaching astrophysics to an acorn! :)