PDA

View Full Version : How's this for WTF?

Zeke
Jan 17th, 2003, 08:24:33 PM
Today, my little brother (you know him as Krieger) was out with his friends on our golf cart. They were drinking root beer. The neighbors that live to our right (henceforth the "stupid neighbors")saw them, and mistook the root beer for some form of wine cooler. They're rich, they can positively ID any alcoholic drink JUST by looking at it. So...they decide to confront us over it. BUT...maybe it'd be a good idea to go to the neighbors to our left (Henceforth the "cool neighbors") and ask their opinion. So...the stupid neighbors' mom spends an hour chatting with the cool neighbors about it. The stupid neighbor's kids freak out. They think Krieger has kidnapped their mother and is holding her for ransom. They call the cops. In the meantime, Wei comes home from college. The cops arrive and force Wei to let them in. They search the house (without a warrant), make Wei show his ID, since our last name is different from our mom's, and then proceed to search again and ask questions. Our stupid neighbors see this and their kids crying and freaking out at the cops. So...they freak out too. Mom comes home an hour later, gets the story from Wei and our cool neighbors before the STUPID neighbors come over to make a hollow apology. Well now. WTF.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 17th, 2003, 08:32:12 PM
**Hands Zeke a grenade launcher**

Do what you have to do

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jan 17th, 2003, 08:45:38 PM
O_o very odd....

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 17th, 2003, 09:57:52 PM
Not a WTF. Just stupid.

Sanis Prent
Jan 18th, 2003, 02:01:09 AM
Inform Wei that without a warrant, the cops have no right to entry whatsoever. Probable cause has to be established (which wasn't). They can ask as calmly or as brashly as they want, however. Polite but firm refusal is best.

Police searches and entries are a common occurrence for me. Gotta know these things :)

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2003, 02:20:46 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Inform Wei that without a warrant, the cops have no right to entry whatsoever. Probable cause has to be established (which wasn't). They can ask as calmly or as brashly as they want, however. Polite but firm refusal is best.

Absolutely... intimidation can be pretty common in instances like this... you just have to remember that, without a warrant, the law is on your side in such situations. For example, if there was something illegal going on in the household that was discovered upon entry, but a warrant was not present at the time of entry, just about any lawyer could get any filed charges dismissed. That's how powerful that seemingly little piece of paper (or lack thereof) can be.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 18th, 2003, 02:29:25 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
For example, if there was something illegal going on in the household that was discovered upon entry, but a warrant was not present at the time of entry, just about any lawyer could get any filed charges dismissed. That's how powerful that seemingly little piece of paper (or lack thereof) can be. This includes a corpse found in the house?

Zeke
Jan 18th, 2003, 02:31:33 PM
Yeppers.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jan 18th, 2003, 04:55:12 PM
All right, correct me if this scenario is wrong.

They obtain a warrant to search your house for marijuana, finding no trace whatsoever. However, during the search say they stumble upon a dead body in your closet. You're telling me they can't do anything but wait to obtain another warrant before taking action? Which would give you time enough to dispose of the body?

Sol Invictus
Jan 18th, 2003, 05:01:49 PM
According to my government teacher and somewhat stable memory, yes.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 18th, 2003, 06:57:43 PM
Thats crazy, in that time they could run away with the body and do something with it, even crimate it.

Figrin D'an
Jan 18th, 2003, 07:14:47 PM
Originally posted by Grev Drasen
All right, correct me if this scenario is wrong.

They obtain a warrant to search your house for marijuana, finding no trace whatsoever. However, during the search say they stumble upon a dead body in your closet. You're telling me they can't do anything but wait to obtain another warrant before taking action? Which would give you time enough to dispose of the body?

no....

A warrant written to search ones house for drugs would be written such that it would encompass any illegal activity. The complications for establishing a case would come into play if a search was conducted without a warrant. In that case, you could be the next Jeffrey Dahmer, with the evidence strewn all over your residence, and the charges would be dismissed because it would be considered an illegal search and seizure.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 18th, 2003, 07:37:11 PM
All this Constitutional Talk makes me feel that I'mback in school or something :D

Kyle Krogen
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:42:56 PM
:lol

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:47:57 PM
Nosy neighbors.

Sanis Prent
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:09:07 PM
We had the cops come to one of our parties. I offered one of them a shot, whenever he got off duty. I'm 22, I don't care.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:24:38 PM
Haha, how'd he reply?

Sanis Prent
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:35:31 PM
He said he'd think about it.

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 19th, 2003, 10:37:11 PM
Well, the whole thing was actually pretty funny with me. I didn't mind his attitude. He wasn't as rude as some police officers I know. It did surprise me to find him at my door though.

Jason Utylln
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:19:45 PM
I had the police in my house once. But it was because my brother had marijuana growing in his room.

It was perfectly legal and they left after apologizing:)

Emma Harvan
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:30:22 PM
The less than three in B.C law?