PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons Renewed Through 2005!

JonathanLB
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:43:53 AM
The Simpsons is now guaranteed to become the longest running comedy in television history! 16 seasons are now confirmed, at least.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/17/television.simpsons.reut/index.html

I think that would be so cool if The Simpsons eventually became the longest running television show in the entire history of the medium, no matter the genre or type of show. That'd be just awesome.

I love The Simpsons. I don't have time to watch that much anymore, but I hope they get these DVD sets out a bit quicker so that I can get them all on DVD, hehe. That'll be one heck of a DVD collection in and of itself!

I personally think Futurama kicks butt too, but people seem divided on that. I absolutely love Futurama. I think, in some episodes, it definitely reaches Simpsons levels for me. I pre-ordered season 1 on DVD, coming in March.

jjwr
Jan 17th, 2003, 11:06:40 AM
I like Simpsons but its not as good as it used to be, hopefully that'll change though.

Futurama is awesome, I heard it got cancelled though.

JMK
Jan 17th, 2003, 11:16:13 AM
That's great news! Even Futurama getting axed is good news to me. I'm one of the people who could care less about it, maybe Groening will now concentrate 100% on the Simpsons and bring it back to where it needs to be.

JonathanLB
Jan 17th, 2003, 11:20:33 AM
I think Futurama is awesome, but I'll be happy just with what is out if they put it all on DVD...

I think The Simpsons is often just as good as it has ever been, but it depends largely on the episode.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 17th, 2003, 11:25:44 AM
I like the Simpsons still its got a while to get to longest running show which is Gunsmoke which I think was on air for like 20 years (not sure of the exact year there) of course this is not counting Monday Night Football or 60 Minutes.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 17th, 2003, 11:26:10 AM
Mmmm... forbidden donut. *drools*

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2003, 11:34:26 AM
Simpsons is as great as ever, it's just that the best were before. Remember, the best writers went to Futurama.

I think that would be so cool if The Simpsons eventually became the longest running television show in the entire history of the medium, no matter the genre or type of show. That'd be just awesome.
Over here, The Sky At Night has been on for about 40 years :)

darth_mcbain
Jan 17th, 2003, 11:38:58 AM
Excellent!!! Hopefully there will be some good McBain Schwarzenegger-spoofs in the seasons to come... "ICE TO SEE YOU!!!"

Darth Viscera
Jan 17th, 2003, 12:07:19 PM
My favorite episode was the one where the pig flew into Mr. Burns's office. Mr. Burns was talking to Smithers, saying something like he'd give money to someone...when pigs fly! Then the pig flew into his office and Smithers asked if he'd like to make out the check now, and Mr. Burns said he'd still like to keep it.

That whole pig thing had my sides aching.

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2003, 12:16:11 PM
"And now I'm thinkig about another meeting..........in bed"

:D

darth_mcbain
Jan 17th, 2003, 12:33:33 PM
:lol

JonathanLB
Jan 17th, 2003, 01:03:15 PM
That just reminded me of one of my favorite Simpsons parts.

The Rolling Stones are singing Happy Birthday to Mr. Burns and end with, "Happy Birthday you old b*st*rd," then Mr. Burns says in his typical cynical, evil voice, "Smithers, have the Rolling Stones killed."

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2003, 01:12:50 PM
Jon, the joke is that theyre not the Stones :)

"SMithers, have the Rolling Stones killed"
"But they...."
"Just do it!"

:)

JonathanLB
Jan 17th, 2003, 01:37:50 PM
I know, hehe, just a great episode though. It's on the Simpsons CD, one of the first ones, where they had a bunch of quotes and songs and whatnot.

Why are they taking so damn long to get the DVDs out though?

Sejah Haversh
Jan 17th, 2003, 01:52:50 PM
It was The Ramones, not the Rolling Stones. And the Simpsons rock, one of the best-written comedies on TV.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 17th, 2003, 01:53:02 PM
Because they are ebil!

How many per year are they releasing? 2?

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2003, 02:01:40 PM
Common sense. Most normal people cant afford 10 boxsets a year. You do one every 6 months or so, and sales are guarenteed good.

JonathanLB
Jan 17th, 2003, 02:23:31 PM
1 every 6 months is not enough. That means that it will take like 10 years to get them all because every one year, you have one more season finishing, two going to DVD, so you gain only +1 per year as a net. Actually, then, it would be a 14-year process! Nobody wants that.

I think they should release 4 boxed sets of DVDs per year anyway. That would make sense. They don't cost that much money and the big fans will buy them. It has been way too long between season 2 coming to DVD and whenever season 3 comes out.

Star Trek: TNG had the right idea. All 7 seasons within one year. That was awesome.

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2003, 02:37:07 PM
This being the TNG that didnt sell that well over here, right? :)

Simpsons is selling excellently right now. Low-ish cost, not too many. Why would they risk altering it?

JonathanLB
Jan 17th, 2003, 03:51:33 PM
TNG is a bit more niche I suppose, but the PRICE is the reason it cannot sell very well. $100 per season is a real ouch. I have 5, but most people cannot afford that. It's simply too much.

Buffy seasons are well priced...

JMK
Jan 17th, 2003, 06:16:22 PM
Hockey Night In Canada, our national equivalent of MNF, has been on the air since 1952. It's in its 51st season this year. That's remarkable.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:25:38 PM
Wow that has to be the longest running show in the world.

JonathanLB
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:17:34 AM
I wouldn't count any sport event, nor would I count any talk show, news show, or anything like that. I'm talking about a narrative, dramatic production of any sort.

Jedieb
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:28:46 PM
"Dad you killed the zombie Flanders!"
"He was a zombie?"

darth_mcbain
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:36:46 PM
lol EB :lol I love that line...

"Hey Milhouse, your Mom and I got you something"
> "Wow! A Pup-Tent! Can I sleep outside?"
"Yeah. Every single night!!!"

Jedieb
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:43:15 PM
"You're so naive Marge! Those trophies aren't for bowling. They're for lovemaking!"

JediBoricua
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:20:12 PM
"I'd rather drink a beer, than win father of the year!"

"We're happy, just the way we are!"

JMK
Jan 18th, 2003, 03:27:36 PM
"I'm so smart! s-m-r-t SMART!"

"It's funny cos it's true".

"I'm takin a whiz with the door open.......AND I LOVE IT!!!"

JediBoricua
Jan 18th, 2003, 05:15:16 PM
"Lisa, Lisa!"

"Everything the Light Touches is our kingdom"

"Luke, I am your father"

"This is CNN"

:lol

Sejah Haversh
Jan 18th, 2003, 05:48:15 PM
"Ha ha!"

"That is an eight by ten glossy photograph of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore. It is seventy-five dollars."

"Aww, I bent my wookie."

Jedieb
Jan 18th, 2003, 06:22:09 PM
Mrs. K during a sex ed film showing rabbits procreating:
"She's faking it."

JMK
Jan 18th, 2003, 06:29:59 PM
"I put a light on my bike"

"My cat's breath smells like catfood."

"Dying tingles."

The one and only Ralph Wiggum! :lol

JonathanLB
Jan 18th, 2003, 06:34:38 PM
I don't know the exact quotes, but I just was thinking of the episode where Skinner is like, "Are these the original Star Wars action figures still in their packages?!?! Luke! Chewbacca! We have a winner!" That was the same episode where the Russian exchange student was like, "I ate it, I ate it! I told you to look at mine first, I told you." lol. God that episode is classic.

JMK
Jan 18th, 2003, 06:41:48 PM
That's from the "You bent my wookie" episode.

JediBoricua
Jan 18th, 2003, 09:29:44 PM
"Oh Jar Jar, everyone hates you but me"-Comic Book Guy while sleeping with a Jar Jar door

"Hey Homer, can I have my chainsaw back?"
"Okay, but you gotta leave a credit card"
"Sure, here's my Discover car..."
"Flanders?!?!?"
"Fine, will AMEX do?"

"You still live with your mother?"-to Skinner
"She lives with ME!"

Sean Piett
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:40:08 AM
I thought the Hank Scorpio episode was the best.

Evil Hobgoblin
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:53:30 PM
"And if you could kill a couple of people on your way, it'd really help me out." :)

"SUPERVILLAIN SEIZES EAST COAST!" :)

Sean Piett
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:14:03 PM
^_^

"Maybe it just collapsed."

JonathanLB
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:05:32 AM
Check this out, haha:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3201760629

darth_mcbain
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:55:11 AM
Somehow I doubt he drew that. Yeah, maybe he was not in the best state of mind at the time, but I would think that even a sketch by the guy would come out better than that. Also, you would think that the creator of the Simpsons would know how to spell "The Simpsons" instead of putting "The Simpons".

Jedieb
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:46:18 AM
Great Simpsons moment; big soccer match comes to Springfield. In less than a few moments the crowd is so bored they begin rioting. CLLAAAASSIIIICCC!

TV Announcer: The Continental Soccer Association is coming to Springfield! It's all here--fast-kicking, low scoring, and ties? You bet!
Bart: Hey, Homer, how come you've never taken us to see a soccer game?
Homer: I...don't know.
TV Announcer: You'll see all your favorite soccer stars. Like Ariaga! Ariaga II! Bariaga! Aruglia! And Pizzoza!
Homer: Oh, I never heard of those people.
TV Announcer: And they'll all be signing autographs!
Homer: Woo-hoo!
TV Announcer: This match will determine once and for all which nation is the greatest on earth: Mexico or Portugal!

Homer: Boring!
Krusty: Come on, you schnorers, do something!
Brockman: Halfback passes to the center. Back to the wing. Back to the center. Center holds it. Holds it. [rolls eyes] Holds it...

Mexican Announcer: [excitedly] Halfback passes to center, back to wing, back to center, center holds it! Holds it! Holds it!

Sideshow Mel: I can't bear this any longer, I'm leaving!
Moe: Yeah, not before me you ain't.
Flanders: Now, now, there's plenty of exits for everyone!
Moe: Oh, that's it, you're dead, pal! [puts Flanders into a headlock]
Skinner: Hey, now, that's uncalled for.
Lenny: Shut your hole, Skinner!
Lenny punches Principal Skinner in the stomach, knocking him into the aisle stairway. He collides with Barney's beer tray, spilling it. Barney, enraged, runs headfirst into the increasingly large number of people fighting on the stairs, bowling them over. Meanwhile, a group of Scottish men watching the game stare boredly at nothing in particular.

Groundskeeper Willie: Ach! They call this a soccer riot? Come on, boys, let's take 'em to school!

The men, rolling up their sleeves, start to pound anyone who comes near them. It's not long before the entire stadium is embroiled in a voilent riot.

Marge: Homer, we've got to get out of here!
Homer: Ooh, but I want to do some rioting. [pushes one of the Scotsmen]
Scotsman: [turns to face Homer, screaming] Jobbers cobknots, ya mucker!
Homer: All done! [runs off]

Kent Brockman: What began as a traditional soccer riot has escalated into a city-wide orgy of destruction. [dodges a flying bottle] Reacting swiftly, Mayor Quimby has declared mob rule. So, for the next several years, it's every family for itself!

ReaperFett
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:58:13 AM
And what exactly is a "half back"?

JMK
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:27:06 PM
If it involves soccer, who cares?:x

GraNi NaColu
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:40:38 PM
Im not really much into soccer either. I played it one year, and didnt like it. Sure it was fun for awhile, but it got old passing out every other practice from not gettin enough exercise. Im not fat, I just stay inside on the comp pretty much, I've been gettin out though the past month more than usual. :D