PDA

View Full Version : PGA Nominations

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2003, 02:29:33 PM
The Producer's Guild Awards....

These usually match up pretty well with the Academy. I think the winner of the PGA has won the Oscar about 75% of the time, and the nominee's usually match up at about a 65% clip. Anyways, the nominations are as follows...

My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
Gangs of New York
Chicago
Adaptation
Road to Perdition

One interesting note...this is the first time that I can remember 6 films making the cut.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:14:36 PM
There are 5 movies that deserve nomination there.

MBFGW DOES NOT DESERVE IT. At all.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:44:25 PM
Road to Predition is an interesting choice, it still could have a chance at best picture now.

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2003, 04:06:54 PM
Alot of people had been writing it off, but this means it's not totally dead yet. I'm happy...as it's my favorite film of 2002(so far).

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2003, 04:24:05 PM
It could still get nominated has there been any talk of it being rereleased?

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2003, 05:30:01 PM
Not sure they need to...it's still playing in Los Angeles.

JMK
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:12:52 PM
That's a good looking list!

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:17:54 PM
Are you making fun of my enthusiasm over this stuff Kyle? ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:32:54 PM
Add a u and he won't need to :p Also has a film not been nominated at the Globes and gone on to get nominated by the Oscars? I am thinking it has happened but wasn't sure.

JonathanLB
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:53:10 PM
Great list, though. Those are ALL really good to great films. I would be happy with any one of them winning, but I must say that My Big Fat Greek Wedding is... not exactly of the same caliber of the rest of the films. I still gave it 3.5 stars, don't get me wrong, one of the best romantic comedies I've seen in the last few years, even. Yet still, there is so much depth in a few of those movies, so much to discuss, such excellent style and craft that I do not feel My Big Fat Greek Wedding really belongs in their class. Still, I really enjoyed it.

Road to Perdition is a great film, no question to me anyway. Really a powerful film. I just liked almost everything about it. I felt the pacing at the start is somewhat slow, but I think this has a purpose, so that didn't bother me. Hanks is fantasic, but I always love Jude Law. He's one of my favorite smaller actors, or I just mean one of my favorites who is not a huge name star.

The Two Towers is the best film on that list, IMO, then Road to Perdition.

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:57:08 PM
I have yet to see MBFGW and 'Chicago', but the others are all worthwhile films IMHO. In fact they all made my 10 best list of 2002.

JonathanLB
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:12:09 PM
Only TTT and Road to Perdition made my top 10, of those, but Chicago just BARELY missed it. Almost a shame I had to leave it off, truly a great musical and an enjoyable film entirely from start to finish.

The rest are on my "honorable mentions" list for 3.5 star movies that definitely deserve the praise, but ultimately for me did not classify as truly "great." Still, when I give a movie 3.5 stars, that is supposed to mean something. It shouldn't be like, "Well you didn't give it four stars, you must not have liked it." Heck no, I will not give most films 3.5 stars. That's a high rating to me. I will hand out 2.5 and 3 star ratings like candy on Halloween, but 3.5 and 4 are sacred and I won't give them out unless I really left that theater impressed.

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:16:32 PM
I think currently I have 'Perdition' at #1, GONY at #5, TTT at #6, and 'Adaptation' at #8.

Basically, this was a great group on nominee's IMHO. I still have some flicks to see, like 'The Hours' and 'Chicago' though.

JonathanLB
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:23:50 PM
Well The Hours opens tomorrow in Portland! Finally. I'm going to see it this weekend along with Nicholas Nickleby.

Then there remains about 10 movies from 2002 that I must see, namely Roger Dodger, 8 Women (I think that's what it's called), Igby Goes Down, Sunshine State, Secretary (I heard it's lousy from some people, great from others, but that Maggie Gylenhaal is great in it; she's hot I think), The Grey Zone, and several foreign films that have made top 10 or honorable mentions list.

I'm going to have to make a critical decision at the end of 2003. This film reviewing of every new release has left me somewhat disillusioned with my ability to make it through classic cinema. I may have to give it up after 2003 and see only the top 50 films or so, instead of almost all of the 275 films, haha. I will probably have seen 225 2002 releases and that seems a bit excessive to me when there are so many classics that I really, really want to see so that I can have a better understanding. We'll see how it goes, but if I'm behind my goals at the end of 2003, something just has to give.

From what I hear, 2002 was one of the most active years in recent film history because of the strike that might have happened, so studios stocked up on film product, so maybe 2003 will go easier on us critics, haha.

JMK
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:29:20 PM
Are you making fun of my enthusiasm over this stuff Kyle? C'mon dude, would I do that?
I really do think its a good looking list. :D

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:08:23 AM
I haven't seen MBFGW, Adaptation, and Chicago yet. But the other three I have and rate them as follows... 1. TTT 2. Road to Perdition 3. Gangs of New York

JonathanLB
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:15:42 AM
I concur with the honorable delegate from the Ishiva federation. :)

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:39:24 AM
Excellent! ;)

*lol*

CMJ
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:29:23 AM
And 'Chicago' wins the PGA. In the 13 year history of the Award(kind of a newbie) it has predicted Best Picture 9 times. A faily good rate.

When a film wins both the DGA and PGA in the same year it has only lost Best Picture at the Academy once.

The 'Chicago' train keeps on moving.