PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter 5 publish date announced

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 15th, 2003, 06:23:46 PM
FINALLY! It's June 2003.

Source -

http://www.harrypotterguide.co.uk/ - go to news section for the exact date.

About time! I hope it's worth the wait

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jan 15th, 2003, 06:54:41 PM
I thought you hated Potter.

Val Torre
Jan 15th, 2003, 07:00:04 PM
:crack

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 15th, 2003, 07:03:00 PM
I thought you hated Potter.

Own all the books, been to all the movies... yep I hate Potter allright ;)

Zeke
Jan 15th, 2003, 07:04:27 PM
::shrieks with joy::

Alpha
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:11:10 PM
YAY!!!! :) This should be a good book! :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:23:03 PM
I never liked how she twisted all the myths from around the world into a story... But still good series.

Biggest Complaint

The Names:
Warlocks
Sorcorer
Wizards
Mages
Enchanters
In the Harry Potter books, they all the same!!! IT BOGGLES THE MIND!!! In the myths and legends, each class had its own special type of power.

And how can you be that ignorant about the people aka the Muggles.
I mean, they would have to keep with the info if they wished to hide every little thing from them. And what did they do during World War 2? Did they ignore it... Did German Warlocks and Wizards get swept up in Hitlers Propoganda and help fight?

For all the British Muggles, they take pride in being English, but do they even know who the Queen of England is??? Would they help defend the Queen if attacked?
You know, honestly, are there Canadian Wizards? American? Mexican? What do they do about Witch Doctors? or Australian Wizards? What about GPS sattelites. They might be able to erase a humans mind, but do they know enough to erase a computer? I mean, WHY would you ignore all muggle things? If I was a Wizard, I would still use the internet. I would still use the phone and watch TV. Frankly cause, they don't really have good replacements for these.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:24:57 PM
I think you are thinking about nonsense too much, Dyzm. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:30:43 PM
* Smacks Dyzm *

:p

Ever noted what she really is doign is taking the pee out of magic and myth? And does it well too, tho not as well as Prachett

Sanis Prent
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:40:33 PM
If Pratchett got movies...then I'd be excited.

Saw the first Harry Potter. It was like somebody animated D|ckens from the dead, made him extra jolly, and grew him 50 feet tall. Was a dour experience, so I didn't go see COS on my own cash. I'll await it on campus movie channel I guess.

For some reason, I thought they were on book seven or something. I just can't get into this Potter thing. If only my favorite author wasn't dead, I'd have something to look forward to :\

Oh well...there's always Pratchett's Night Watch :crack Closest thing to fantasy books that I can abide.

On a side note...having to bypass the filter to type D|ckens is the suck :grumble

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:46:45 PM
<smallfont color=#FFFF00>-Censored-</smallfont>ens!

Edit: That's rather gay. We're going backwards not forwards.

Cockpit!

Edit 2: At least that works.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:49:03 PM
Pratchett is awesome. I just read an entire book today by him in four and half hours.

This is what I do when I have no internet. :) I bought three books by him three days ago, and I'm down to one now. :cry its expensive to keep reading this voraciously!

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:53:43 PM
LIBRARY! :headbash

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 15th, 2003, 10:00:50 PM
They don't have them in the library. Libraries suck for fantasy/sci-fi, and are great for researching speedbumps. Go figure. :x

I did a walk through today (looking for an open computer, there were none) and saw nothing.

Plus, if I enjoy a book, I like to own it so I can read it again and again.

Gav Mortis
Jan 15th, 2003, 10:06:21 PM
Ah right, our local librarian is a Pratchett addict and she made sure the place had a copy of every book. :D

Sanis Prent
Jan 15th, 2003, 10:12:45 PM
The library in my hometown was well stocked in Pratchett. In fact, an old friend of mine worked there, and would occasionally "liberate" the books. I still have the library's copy of Men at Arms >D

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 15th, 2003, 10:29:09 PM
One of my mates has a copy of "Soul Music" as an audio tape - and Christopher Lee does the voice of Death.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 15th, 2003, 10:35:23 PM
At my library, You can request books to be bought. They then look at the review, and if its good, they buy a copy or two.
We have the entire back section filled with Fantasy, and one of my some of my most current authors are Piers Anthony, Alan Dean Foster and Stackpole. (Besides the Star Wars books, he also wrote Draconis Fortress or something, AWESOME book, still waiting for the next one to be bought)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:46:36 PM
Since my thread in SW: Box office is getting ignored I will discuss it here. I am exciting that it is coming out actually its wierd over a year ago (before the first movie) I wasn't into at all, I didn't really have an opinion on it then I saw the first movie liked it, read the book liked it. I saw the second movie thought it was a lot better read the second book liked it better than the first book, since I have read POA and GOF and loved them both and think POA will be an awesome movie. Book 5 should be interesting did anybody else hear one of Rowling's interview about the book not sure if this really a spoiler but I will put the tag a major characer will die a fan of Harry (not Hermoine or Ron though). So who will it be? A lot people think it will be Hagrid, and I have heard others say Mrs Weasley for various reason. I really have no clue she could surprise us all there

Sanis Prent
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:56:16 PM
Mark...the 2nd Discworld game has Eric Idle singing the Death Song :) Comedy Gold.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:56:28 PM
They're good books, and they got some kids reading.

Sounds like something overall decent to me.

Heathens?

Figrin D'an
Jan 16th, 2003, 12:05:59 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Book 5 should be interesting did anybody else hear one of Rowling's interview about the book not sure if this really a spoiler but I will put the tag a major characer will die a fan of Harry (not Hermoine or Ron though). So who will it be? A lot people think it will be Hagrid, and I have heard others say Mrs Weasley for various reason. I really have no clue she could surprise us all there

What about that kid like a year behind Harry in school... that Colin kid that is always taking pictures of him. He's been described before as being a "huge fan" of Harry. The other possibility that comes to mind is Dumbledore. It's been mentioned so many times in the 4 books so far that Dumbledore's presence is a huge deterent to the plans of Voldemort to kill Harry. Considering that the books seem to be following a trend towards increasing danger and darkness, it would seem that that taking away that protection for Harry would be a logical step toward forcing Harry to come to terms with his destiny.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2003, 12:06:34 AM
I know I think insane to say that its the devil, I know people who think that way and I know one person who thinks they are evil but is okay with Star Wars and LOTR ( I mean they aren't much different in terms of supernatural stuff) I really don't argue it there is no point.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2003, 12:11:58 AM
That is very interesting Figrin I always thought that Dumbledore was safe until the end but there is that possibility they might kill him off. I don't think it would be Colin because he would be another Cedric and he wouldn't impact Harry as much. Really it would have to be a person that would impact the story and impact Harry Hagrid would, Dumbledore would as well. Not sure about Mrs Weasley, I am certain it would really hurt Ron, though it could get him closer with Hermoine, (I do think the two of them will be a couple but that is just my theory) I have to say it will be fun to speculate for the next 5 months.

Figrin D'an
Jan 16th, 2003, 12:42:12 AM
Probably longer than 5 months, though. I'm not going to fight the hoards of young teenie-boppers to try to get a copy when it comes out. I've got plenty to read for a while, so I'll wait until the initial hype dies down.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2003, 01:07:43 AM
Well I will just go into Walmart or Target and get I doubt I will have to fight more there than usually, of course I am not sure how big it will be I didn't go the store the day GOF came so I am not sure what the reaction was.

Videl
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:21:01 AM
*yawns* great that means sis will drag me out of school or late at depending on the release time to go wait in line again...blech...ah well I get a free book outta of it.....

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:25:06 AM
*growls* dammit, didn't mean to post as Videl, aw well.....

Kelt Simoson
Jan 16th, 2003, 05:51:22 AM
Well im a huge harry potter fan and so is me' mom so, i guess we cant wait:)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:07:38 AM
One thing I have noted about the Potter books, is that Rowlings isnt afraid to pull surprises or kill characters. So, if she says a major character becomes a ghost, then it will be major.

But....

I cant see Dumbledore exiting as yet. Hagrid... possible. That'll be pretty brave tho to do that. I think one of the Weazleys. But then again, there was a few major characters intro'ed in Book four, so maybe on of them? Rowlings like dropping clues, so I suspect whom it is actually will be quite obvious in hindsight.

Needless to say, should be quite good to read in the end. GOF is quite a good book and I'm looking forward to Order of The Phoenix

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2003, 04:13:56 PM
Well I am not sure if she will kill of one of the twins, I wouldn't consider Percy a fan, and Ginny well she nearly died in COS so I doubt she would kill her now. Ron is out (she said so) so that leaves the Parents I guess one of them is possible. Also there are two other characters Sirus (which I would hate the most) Lupin, is possible, I have been wondering why Voldemort gave Pettigrew a silver hand that could be what does Lupin in (since he is a wearwolf) of course will that happen in Book 5. After that the only two major characters less are Snape, you could hardly call him a fan, and Mcgonnell(sp) she is a possibility.

Kelt Simoson
Jan 17th, 2003, 07:45:14 AM
She better not kill Hagrid, for me i must admit that would ruin the series concidering Hagrid is the best loved char after Harry himself....

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 17th, 2003, 11:05:58 AM
;; pushes the topic back to PTerry ;; :angel

Oh well...there's always Pratchett's Night Watch

:D which I read in 3 hours. Young Havelock Vetinari = :D :D :D

Sanis Prent
Jan 18th, 2003, 02:08:52 AM
I want to find it in paperback. I shudder to pay hardcover prices. I saw it about a month ago while Christmas shopping. It was an extreme temptation to use my money for evil, instead of good.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 18th, 2003, 03:22:39 AM
Well since the guy who used to play Darius is a bigger Discworld fan than me, he buys all of them. Even that Hero Of Time one about the Barbarian (Conan? ... he's called something like Conan, I don't remember exactly what). I just borrow them from him :rollin

Sanis Prent
Jan 18th, 2003, 04:40:03 AM
LOL thats like me and Akrabbim. I buy them, and he ends up reading them before I get a chance to.

Darius Van-Derveld
Jan 18th, 2003, 05:26:49 PM
got the whole series, including the last hero, night watch, eric, Light fantastic graphic novel, the lot.

give me a discworld quote and i can usually name the character and book in about ten minutes.

obviously not quotes like "Yes....." or "And he said..."

Sanis Prent
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:12:40 PM
Who nearly solved a mathematical equation describing the meaning of life, while in a slaughterhouse?

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:03:44 AM
Light fantastic graphic novel

Death + the horsemen looks sooo cool in that :rollin

But, do you have the maps of Deaths Domain, and the Guild diaries, etc? :D

Who nearly solved a mathematical equation describing the meaning of life, while in a slaughterhouse?

And I reckon that might be Detritus, though I'm not sure which book. Maybe Men At Arms.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:31:31 AM
And I reckon that might be Detritus, though I'm not sure which book. Maybe Men At Arms.

I love Men at Arms! that is such an excellent book. Soul Music is probably my favorite. Death and the Withces are my favorite... cant remember whom the leading witch is off the top of my head, but she's brilliant. Oh, Weatherwax! Yeah, now I remember.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:45:22 AM
Soul Music was funny. 'Buddy Holly' :lol

I don't know who my favourite character is, I like too many :D Carrot, Angua, Death, Mort, Wolfgang Von Uberwald (;)), Vetinari, Two Flower... Rincewind can be hilarious too :crack

The Witches are good too. Have you read Wyrd Sisters? ... I think that's the one, about the little girl Esmerelda, who was meant to be the 8th son of the 8th son

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:49:14 AM
Yes, Wyrd Sisters I have read.

Anothter classic character is Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler. Carrot I like as well. Moving Pictures is one of the best books as well, mainly cause of the all so true way it skewers the industry.

Darius Van-Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:49:49 AM
no, wyrd sisters is the one with all the Macbeth refrences.

you're thinking of equal rites

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:51:52 AM
Ah. That makes more sense, because she was meant to be a wizard... etc.

CMOT Dibbler is funny, especially if you see all the variations on him in the different parts of the Disc. (I can't remember any of them, but the one in Klatch was something about Dibblaroo or something :lol)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:58:00 AM
I also love the descriptios of how polluted the river of Ankh-Morepork is. The one that sticks to mind is ow dead bodies were an improvement on the smell

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:04:05 AM
On the Discworld MUD, you need a shovel to be able to get past even the first layer of crust on the Anhk :lol

Sanis Prent
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:31:48 PM
My favorite book is currently the Fifth Elephant, though I admit I've only read the books involving the Ankh-Morpork City Watch.

My only problem is that I wish Angua wasn't such a total bitch, and that she'd mellow out. Carrot deserves that much!

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:35:27 PM
Fifth Elephant is still my favourite, too.

Agree with you about Angua, I do. Carrot is such a nice guy, I bet even if she tried to knock him out he would still act the perfect gentleman.

Sanis Prent
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:58:34 PM
And I think Vimes is much more interesting when he's drinking.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 03:02:15 PM
He is portrayed terribly in Discworld Noir. They made him all snivelly... really slim, with a little black moustache and rat-like look about him.

Sanis Prent
Jan 19th, 2003, 03:37:51 PM
I always imagine Vimes as Bruce Willis...go figure ;)