PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Foundations: Thoughts From Afar (Comeplete)

Taylor Millard
Jan 15th, 2003, 12:33:12 PM
Previously on Breaking Foundations:

Grand Admiral Taylor Millard has left the Balmorran Empire in search of his missing fiance Loklorien s'Ilancy. After several months of fruitless search, Millard found her on Thyferra, the home of the Imperial Sovereignty. In words that hurt her as much as they did him him...Lok told Taylor to get out of her life.

Meanwhile on Balmorra, Commodore Tomar- Millard's handpicked successor- has been fired by Emperor Tyrel Kiterix and replaced by Admiral Sarin Vorrann. Kiterix, who plans on defection to the New Republic, is doing his best to deceive Vorrann and General Silus Xilarian to support him when he moves against Millard. But Kiterix's reasons for defection are not as honorable as they appear...

<Center><U> Dramatic Persona:</u></center>

<Center>Taylor Millard; Imperial Grand Admiral</center>

<Center>Tomar; Commodore, Head of Logistics of the Balmorran Empire</center>

<Center>Jaranda Piett-Tomar; Civilian, Director of Millard's Intelligence Group</center>

<Center>MMU: Computer Avatar of the Rascal King</center>

He was playing the piano again. A medley of fast moving high notes, along with softer low notes filled the cabin of the Rascal King. It was Taylor's thinking music, something he played over and over again when he needed expansion of his mind.

"I don't care if you can reject the force, and I don't care what Desaria wants me for...I know what I want... and... it's not you... "

A part of him wanted to believe her. That s'Il had left him because she didn't want to be with him.

He bit his inner lip as he played on, the notes meshing with his feelings as his fingers traversed the ivory keys. A soft ballad then a hard, fast chorus filled with highs and lows.

After twenty minutes...he stopped.

"She didn't mean what she said, you know," Taylor stated to the silent droid who was trying to keep track with his feet.

"About leaving. Even without the Force...I could tell she was lying.

"Kiterix, on the other hand," Millard picked up a data pad which had the listing of the recent events of the Balmorran Empire, "Is laying.

"Look at this headline," he set the pad down on a table nearby, "Kiterix opens new Balmorran Civil Guard Academy. Also inducts new SSD. The Draconian is supposed to be the best ship in the fleet.

"It's all propaganda," Taylor sighed, "Only a blurb about those attacks on the frontier. If I didn't think Tomar could handle the politicians...I'd go back there."

Taylor poured himself a drink, feeling the tart liquid of the cognac fill his mouth.

"And what the devil are these Inquisitors?"

Taylor Millard
Jan 15th, 2003, 03:25:15 PM
Ummm.... the squeeky voice came from the darkness as the two green eyeports focussed on Millard.

Things that...inquisit other things? MMU answered the obvious.

Taylor shook his head and tinkled the keys a bit.

"MMU, as usual, you have the uncanny ability to state the obvious."

OH THANK YOU, PAPA TAYLOR! Can we play 'chase the rancor now'? PLEEEZE!?!?! the little droid pattered up to Millard and tugged on his dark pants.

Taylor grabbed him by the scruff of his metallic neck and pulled him up onto the piano.

"Not right now, MMU...I'm thinking."

The droid shook his head, You always think...atleast with Lok I knew what I was gettin'. Nothing expected.

Papa Taylor! he said, hopping on the keys like he just realized something important.

"Yes MMU?" Millard was staring at a picture of s'Il he'd hung up on the far side of the King's wall.

You're boring! then he hopped off the piano and scurried away.

A few minutes later Taylor hear the sounds of cap guns going off, as MMU chased something (probably himself) down the halls.

Taylor grabbed a pen and paper and began to write.

Dear Tomar,
The search goes well, although it's difficuilt to find people to trust. I have found a core group of people in various places who I can trust though, and they are always keeping their ears open for anything concerning Lok.

I do hope my home is doing well.

Taylor Millard, Grand Admiral

The letter would go out with the next bit of paper in a couple days.

Turning back to the piano...he started playing again.

Tomar
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:51:49 AM
What the hell? I thought as I read Millard's letter. It was the shortest letter I'd ever gotten from Millard...and one of the strangest also.

He knows Balmorra has become more dangerous than when he left.

I was sitting in my office, going over reports when Marjorie (a secretary who finally knew what they were doing). brought in the morning mail. The linen envelope simply addressed Tomar made me sit up in my chair quickly.

I always enjoyed Taylor's letters, as they explained how the hunt for Loklorien was going. Although he tended to be brief, he was never general.

Something then rang in my mind...

A core group of people in various places...

"A core group...." I muttered and read the letter again.

Taylor Millard
Jan 16th, 2003, 01:12:07 PM
"It'll probably take him a couple minutes to figure out what I mean," Millard said as he played the piano some more. He'd been purposefully vague, although, with Jaranda as his wife...Tomar would figure it out quickly.

The big question was...who would he pick as his 'core group'? Thomas was a no brainer, the same as Jaranda. Both had served with Millard for years and would definately help.

What would be interesting were the lower officers. If this 'conspiracy' were to work, it would need people trustworthy and loyal to the Empire. Those who spoke their own mind, and didn't blindly trust everyone.

Millard hadn't given Tomar any suggestions because he trusted his protege.

If Taylor was going to figure out what Kiterix was up to...then he'd need people in places to listen and watch. And when the time came...act.

The Imperial Grand Admiral tapped the ivory keys again, a jizz song this time...full of strength and speed. 'Take the A Train' it was called and it was a song he particularly enjoyed.

As usual MMU was now dancing on the piano, his cap guns waving in the air. After about ten minutes, and an extended improv solo, Millard stopped and sighed.

"I just hope he chooses good ones."

Tomar
Jan 17th, 2003, 12:09:27 AM
The pressing business of the day kept me from going back to the letter, although my mind was on it all day. With Vorrann's planned attack on Bilbringi, I had to make sure our forces were ready.

And as usual...they were.

As I was getting ready to leave for the day I got the news about the latest attack near Kyrinos. The interesting part was it was finally on Imperial forces. Captain Desjardins of the Cronus, a man I'd known for more than a few years.

The report was fairly generic...ships encountered after an attack on another convoy, our ships were damaged....the usual. Then I came across something interesting.

The ships appeared out of nowhere, then disappeared. They were nothing we'd seen before.

Interesting...interesting indeed.

The only problem was there were no images of the ships, nor video footage. I knew Desjardins was no fool and he would have put them into the report.

Which means...

Frell...someone removed them.

It didn't surprise me...but I needed to know who could've done it.

"Marjorie," I said into my comm, "Have someone pull me the files on all men on the Cronus."

"Yes Commodore...any reason why?

"With Admiral Vorrann preparing his assault on Bilbringi," I said, lying but fairly well, "I thought it best to look over all the personall and decide which ships were best to pass on to Vorrann."

Okay Commodore...I'll have them for you tomorrow.

"Thank you Majorie, you may go home after giving the order," I signed off before she could reply.

It was time for me to go home as well.

I grabbed my jacket and my hat and exitted the room, nodding to my secretary (who was talking in hushed tones on a comlink) then took the nearest lift to the ground floor.

As I exitted out the compund into the cold air...it hit me.

Millard wanted a conspiracy...a conspiracy against Kiterix.

Taylor Millard
Jan 17th, 2003, 04:02:18 AM
This type of idea was always difficult, especially when the head of it was away.

"But I have every faith in Tomar that he and Jaranda can pull it off," Taylor thought aloud at the piano, "But I will have to return to Balmorra at some point."

He leaned forward, staring into MMU's green ports.

"Do you think, MMU, if I return now...I'm only delaying the inevitable? That Kiterix will go through his plan regardless?"

The droid stared blankly at him.

PLAY AGAIN!

Taylor shook his head and started playing again. This time it was Goldberg Variations again, the second movement. When the piece finished Millard still didn't have any answers.

Or any that he liked.

A Rogue Jedi running about Balmorra. Kiterix's 'Inquisitors'. This group attacking shipments out by Kyrinos...they all mean something. Tomar's firing...that one leads back to Kiterix. That's two connections.

And I have a pretty good idea who the Jedi is, as well. They'd better watch their back. Or else they will get burned. Badly.

He started Variations again, the piece more confident than the last time. Taylor had gotten better at the piano...but he wasn't ready for the theater at Omar Prime.

"If I were Tomar...who would I trust?"

Tomar
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:49:10 AM
That was the same question I was wondering as I sat at my home in Bin Prime. Jaranda and I, along with our son, used to live in Castle Millard (it was a large castle after all) before its destruction.

Now we lived in Chateau Millard, keeping it as Millard searched for his lost fiance.

Who could I trust? Jaranda was pretty obvious, the same with Thomas (although he was out with Tasha Kozkis visiting her home planet. With Taylor gone, he had nothing else to do).

Someone from Shadow Squadron perhaps? Xilarian was out of the question, he was buddying up to Kiterix too closely. The same with Vorrann, my....ugh...replacement.

"Are you still being bothered by you getting fired?" it was Jaranda talking, carrying a glass of wine.

I sighed, "Yes...I don't trust Kiterix or Vorrann."

"If it makes you feel any better," she gave me a kiss, "Neither do I.

"This Morewind character only recently showed up on my screen and my contacts have no real clue who he is. But...there are rumors he's been liked to Kiterix for a while."

She sat down next to me and gave me the glass of wine.

"What I want to know...is why my network of contacts hasn't heard of him before...and why they're still just spinning wheels. What'd Taylor have to say?"

Now was the moment of truth, I looked at her with one which said caution.

"I checked...we're not bugged," she whispered, "What'd 'the old man' say?"

I sighed heavily, "We're to move against Kiterix."

Taylor Millard
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:12:58 AM
Conspriacies.

Those were always a tough thing to do.

As Taylor Millard played his piano, a softer..more melancoly piece, he knew what he was doing was the right thing.

Only so many people in the Balmorran Empire could be trusted. As he played he constructed a letter in his mind. It would be filed away and saved for later. Something to go to Tomar and Jaranda later. When the ensuing battles were over...

Dear Tomar and my dear Jaranda,

The both of you have been friends of mine for a very long time. A very long time. I must admit it comes as a shock to me, the two of you would continue in our association and friendship when each had the opportunity to go elsewhere.

And even now, that we've defeated our greatest threat, poisoning from within, you both are still here. I appreciate that. More than you can ever imagine.

I am proud of the both of you.

Your friend,
Taylor Millard

He was fairly certain he would add more to the letter...there was more to be written.

I'm moving against the man I said I would support. No...I said I would support the Empire. The Empire I grew up in and have spent all of my life defending, Taylor thought as he played.

There is no dishonor in what I may have to do. There is danger yes...but no dishonor.

The music became low and slow...and he continued on.

Tomar
Jan 24th, 2003, 01:00:20 AM
"You're serious?" Jaranda almost looked elated by the news.

I slowly nodded, taking a drink from my glass of wine.

"Taylor wants us to start gathering people we can trust and I guess get a network or something."

Jaranda's mind was already working five steps ahead of me.

"I can talk to some of my agents in the field and get them to give me some reports. The Inquisitors have gobbled up some of them, but I've got enough to get a communications network going."

"Do you think we should talk to some members of the military about this?" I wasn't completely up on setting up a Network. That was Jaranda's job.

She smiled, "Honey I think I'm finally rubbing off on you. Yes we should talk to military members we trust. I don't recommend Vorrann...or General Xilarian."

I smiled finishing my glass of wine, "You took the words out of mind. How do you do it?"

Jaranda poured herself a glass of wine, "I've only known you for almost 30 years. And besides...Taylor would want that too."

She turned serious, "I've got a few names that can help us. I suggest you do the same as well."

I nodded and rose to go to my desk. It was going to be a long night.

Taylor Millard
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:38:13 PM
The slower music was comforting and Millard continued to play. With the darkened interior of the King, and the flickering of the candles it gave a sort of medieval look.

There are only several people, he thought as he played, I would trust...myself and Jaranda. Tomar should know this...

Taylor's hands carressed the keyboard, slightly pleased his playing was getting better.

But which commanders in the military could he go to trust? From his reports, Silus Xilarian's now 'buddy to buddy' with Kiterix.

I wonder if Wargrave should go and pay a visit to Silus...

Taylor shook his head. No...he had to focus on finding s'Ilancy.

But the subject of the Balmorran Empire wouldn't leave him.

ARE YOU STILL UP!?!?

Taylor gave MMU a 'look' as the droid wandered back into the room. For an instant, it appeared a smile came on Millard's face then disappeared.

MMU, for a droid that normally didn't sleep, was clad in a 'nightgown' complete with stocking cap and candle. But the cap guns were still holstered around the droid's waist.

"There are times," Taylor said, continuing to play, "I have to stay up late to think."

OH I KNOW THAT PAPA TAYLOR! MMU twirled the candle like a blaster.

I just wanted to ask!

Then he scuttled away to 'shut down', Millard supposed.

"With what's going on," Taylor said aloud, coming near the end of his music, "I suppose I need to trust Jaranda and Tomar to pick the right people..."

Tomar
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:43:57 PM
I had a list now, of names who I thought we could trust. They'd come off the top of my head and were those of people who'd served with me and Millard for multiple years.

The captains of the Davidoff, Stoker, Churchill, Superior, Hannibal, Adament, and the Creon were fairly obvious. All of them had survived the hell of the Unknown Regions with me and were trustworthy.

I'd also put down several flight commanders who might help us lead the squadrons were it to come to military struggles. Ned Stark was one. So was Elessar Stavit.

"It's a good list," Jaranda said as she looked at it.

"But why Stavit?"

"He's a good pilot. He does his job, but he's also willing to speak out. Plus...you remember Rain Hapes?"

"She was with Shadow Squadron and one of my contacts, yes."

"He and she were in a relationship together."

Jaranda smiled, "I'd forgotten that. Good idea. Especially if Kiterix was the one who let those Jedi bomb the Castle."

I nodded, "Exactly. You think it's a good plan?"

Her nod was all I needed to see. We went back to work.

Taylor Millard
Jan 28th, 2003, 01:57:06 AM
OF COURSE PAPA TAYLOR!!! s'Il trust ME to be the ship. YOU gotta trust those 'round you.

Now're you coming to bed or'm gonna hafta ground ya for insaboordeenation!!

Millard shook his head and kept playing. MMU *huffed* and stalked off. A few minutes later, Taylor heard the noise of cap guns going off as MMU "shot" himself to sleep.

MMU was right, in a moment of clarity, Taylor would have to trust Jaranda and Tomar to get the job done. They'd been paying attention to what was going around the Balmorran Empire, and while Millard wasn't totally out of communication, his two friends knew more than he and they were doing something about it.

But... he mused as he played the last few notes, How would the move against Kiterix work? There would be bloodshed yes...but how much?

And what would...the Balmorran Empire be...after the conflict.

Taylor finished his song...then rose and extinguished the lights. He had much planning to do, before he would be able to rest again.