PDA

View Full Version : Sorry JMK

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2003, 12:12:59 PM
I see your Expos had to trade Colon to the White Sox, I feel just as bad I wanted my Sox to get them :( Did your guys get anything for him?

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2003, 12:51:19 PM
El Duqe I believe.

Taylor Millard
Jan 15th, 2003, 01:25:48 PM
From ESPN.com- Sorry they didn't have a shorter story.

Three-way deal includes Yanks' Hernandez to Expos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Bartolo Colón moved to the Chicago White Sox, and Orlando Hernandez went to the Montreal Expos on Wednesday in a three-team trade also involving the New York Yankees.

In exchange for Colon, who won 20 games last season for Cleveland and Montreal, the Expos received Hernandez and another right-hander, Rocky Biddle, plus outfielder Jeff Liefer and cash.

The White Sox earlier acquired Hernandez and $2 million from the Yankees for right-handed pitchers Antonio Osuna and Delvis Lantigua, a minor leaguer.

Colon, a right-hander, went 20-8 with a 2.93 ERA last season, but the Expos -- run by Major League Baseball -- had been expected to trade him as part of a salary dump to keep their payroll in check. He will earn $8.25 million this season, the final year of a five-year, $17.25 million contract that he signed in 1999. The Yankees and Red Sox had been interested in trading for him.

"We have been discussing with the Expos various ways we could acquire Bartolo for quite some time," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said. "There were very few pitchers of his caliber available this offseason. Bartolo's statistics -- 20 victories, eight complete games, almost 150 strikeouts -- speak to the type of impact pitcher he can be for a team."

The Expos had acquired Colon from Cleveland in a surprising six-player trade last June 27. He went 10-4 for the Expos, the same record he had posted with the Indians. He had eight complete games and 149 strikeouts in 33 starts.

It was the second major trade this winter for the White Sox, who acquired closer Billy Koch from Oakland in a six-player deal last month.

Instead of Colon, the Yankees came away from the deal with two other pitchers: Osuna, a reliever who was 8-2 in 59 games with a 3.86 ERA for the White Sox last season, and Lantigua, 7-7 with a 4.38 ERA at Triple-A Charlotte.

"We're excited about this trade," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. "It makes sense in a lot of ways. We traded from strength. Osuna will help us now and Lantigua in the future. It reduces payroll as a fringe benefit."

Cashman said acquiring Colon for the Yankees would not have worked. "That situation didn't fit with us given the personnel we have and the payroll situation," he said.

Osuna is expected to move into the Yankees' bullpen as a replacement for Mike Stanton and Ramiro Mendoza, who left as free agents. Stanton signed with the Mets, Mendoza with the Red Sox.

Hernandez, a Cuban nicknamed El Duque, was 8-5 with a 3.64 ERA for the Yankees last season but spent considerable time on the disabled list.

The Yankees were looking to trade him to lighten their glut of eight starting pitchers.

"We feel we have more pitching than others and that's a positive," Cashman said. "Pitchers are like thoroughbreds. They get injured easily. Part of the process is the unexpected. We prepare for the unexpected."

Hernandez pitched for three World Series winners in New York, compiling a 9-3 postseason record with a 2.51 ERA. He leaves one victory short of the Yankees' postseason record shared by Hall of Famer Whitey Ford and Andy Pettitte.

The Expos also sent minor league infielder Jorge Nunez to the White Sox. He played last season with Triple-A Ottawa, batting .291 with 20 RBI, 42 runs and 27 stolen bases in 91 games.

Biddle was 3-4 with a 4.06 ERA in 44 games for the White Sox, and Liefer hit .230 with seven home runs and 26 RBI in 76 games.

JMK
Jan 15th, 2003, 03:11:01 PM
I heard the press conference live on the radio. I was laughing the whole time listening to the Expos GM try to put a positive spin on the deal. Can you imagine how happy I am to lose a stud like Colon to get a 40 year old bum with a worn out elbow? :rolleyes

JonathanLB
Jan 15th, 2003, 05:26:17 PM
That blows, I like El Duque and I wish the Yanks would have kept him. He was a great pitcher for them...

CMJ
Jan 15th, 2003, 05:27:56 PM
He's getting up there though...it was a good deal for the Yanks.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:02:26 PM
The Expos though go two other guys, if they are any good then the deal is worth it. Actually look at this way Colon might be eating his way out of Baseball he came into last year at 230 and he is now inching closer to 300 I hear he is 270 at least that is not good he gained 40 pounds in year ouch. Looking at that way then we might be better off without him. The Red Sox might sign Kenny Rogers but I am not sure if he is worth it.

JMK
Jan 16th, 2003, 09:40:18 AM
I wouldn't bank of Rogers. Maybe as 3rd starter, or maybe I'd put him in the bullpen. Colon is supposedly way overweight, but who cares? He's a pitcher? Look at David Wells? Or even Roger Clemens? Those 2 tip the scales pretty heavily. The Expos GM is going to desperately try and keep Guerrero, but he's been told he must lose more payroll. And since he can't get rid of Tatis for anything, they're stuck with him and may have to deal Vasquez and possibly Cabrera and Barrett. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2003, 04:01:21 PM
Hey give us Vasquez :p Seriously I am not sure if they will sign Rogers, I think he could work as a 4th or 5th starter, but really I would rather give Fossum his chance, I think he has the makings of a great starter and would like to see what he is capable of, we still have Burkett hopefully he will pitch better this year and we have a soild top Martinez first, Wakefield is going to be second (they want to have teams face Martinez fast ball and then Wakefield's knuckleball that should really mess teams up). The pitcher that concerns me is Lowe, he had a great year last year I wonder if he can pitch like that again. Also I think we fixed our bullpen problems, especially with Mendoza, he was awesome with the Yankees I think they were fools to let him go.

JMK
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:14:49 PM
Vasquez is a terrific pitcher. If he went anywhere, I'd like it to be Boston, but I would hate to see him relegated to a 4th or 5th starter. He's at least a 2nd or 3rd starter IMO.