View Full Version : Harry Potter And the Order of the Phoenix date announced

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:52:15 AM
Well they have finally announced when Book 5 will be coming out it is June 21 here some more information

Bloomsbury Publishing Plc

J K Rowling s Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to be published on
21st June, 2003 in Britain, the USA, Canada and Australia

The world s most anticipated book is over one third longer than the previous book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

London, England; New York, New York; 15th January, 2003: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J K Rowling, the fifth in the best-selling series, has been scheduled for release on Saturday 21st June, 2003 in Britain, the USA, Canada, Australia and in the English language in many countries, it was announced by the book s English language publishers, Bloomsbury and Scholastic, to whom it has now been delivered. The companies also announce that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is over one third longer than J K Rowling's extraordinary previous book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

In making the joint announcement, Nigel Newton, Chief Executive of Bloomsbury Publishing in Britain and Barbara Marcus, President of Scholastic Children s Books in the United States said, We are thrilled to announce the publication date. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is absolutely superb and will delight all J K Rowling s fans. She has written a brilliant and utterly compelling new adventure, which begins with the words:

The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive The only person left outside was a teenage boy who was lying flat on his back in a flowerbed outside number four.

Later in the novel, J K Rowling writes:

Dumbledore lowered his hands and surveyed Harry through his half-moon glasses.

It is time, he said, for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry.

Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is over 255,000 words compared to over 191,000 words in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The new book is 38 chapters long, one more than Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J K Rowling s fourth Harry Potter book, was released on 8th July, 2000 and was the fastest selling book in history on the first weekend of its publication. All four Harry Potter books, Harry Potter and the Philosopher s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, as well as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, have been Number 1 bestsellers and are currently on bestseller lists in Britain, the USA, and around the world.

Bloomsbury will be publishing their standard children's hardback edition (ISBN 07475 51 006) and in addition an adult hardback edition (ISBN 07475 69 401, the same text but with a different jacket) at the same time, both editions to be 768 pages long and priced at 16.99.

It is sure a long book a little longer that GOF, I am sure it will sell extremely well probably be the #1 book of the year, I feel, I am really curious to read it especially since Rowling has indicated a major character (not Ron or Hermoine though) will die.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:04:32 PM
I guess there is nobody interested in this thread :/ at least not to comment on it. Just curious is there anybody else here who is going to buy it? I know I will get it when it comes out.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:21:17 PM
We have a thread running on OOC about this already :D

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:38:43 PM
Oh know wonder nobody is talking about it :D

darth_mcbain
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:52:06 AM
I'm gonna get it when it comes out. Whether or not I can wait for paperback remains to be seen... I think I probably can, but my better half will probably want to get it sooner. I loved the first four - I'm pretty excited for the fifth...

JonathanLB
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:30:35 AM
No offense intended to Rowling or the book, of course but I pity the director who has to adapt a 255,000 word book!

Do you even realize how long that is?! My first book was 80,500 words and that was 308 manuscript pages. That's considered, actually, the upper limit of most non-ficiton books that are not textbooks. They usually say 50,000 to 80,000 is the range you are looking to achieve. When I was about to send my book to Richard Curtis (my agent), he wanted to make sure it wasn't longer than 80,000 or "we might have to do some editing," and I said it was funny he mentioned that because it was exactly 80,000 words basically.

Last term, I wrote about 90,000 words in movie reviews, plus 50,000 more over winter break, so 255,000 words is a big DAMN! :)

JediBoricua
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:38:27 AM
I will buy it the day it is available.

Good thing it comes out in the middle of summer, no college to stop me from reading all night long!

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2003, 12:45:26 PM
I still have a copy of the first one that I haven't read. Eventually, I'll pick it up.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:09:57 PM
Well, the book I am working on is only about two-thirds done and it is already 182,640 words. I expect 25,000 of those to be cut, though, and another 35,000 added into what is already there. Then another 80,000 to wrap it up in. Take that, Rowling.

And, also, to put things in a bit of perspective, the Best Archer in Nottingham thread I am doing with Loki has already hit the 45,134 word mark, and it is only nearing halfway, I think.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:41:52 PM
I loved the 4th one too so I will get it when it comes out, as far as filming it well they will film it the way they are going to film the 4th film in two parts probably having one come out in August and the second in November or something, that makes the most since, I think.

JonathanLB
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:09:20 PM
Absolutely do not take this the wrong way, and if you do, then it's my fault for saying anything, but most writers believe the toughest thing to do is cut a book, an article, or a news story down to a reasonable number of words. Many people would argue, myself included, that it's much harder to write what you want to say in one page than in 300 pages, for instance. What if you asked me, "Ok, Jonathan, you think Star Wars is so great. In one page, please write why exactly you think these movies are so great." To me, that is TORTURE! That's far more difficult than if someone wanted a book about it. I can write a book about that and would even enjoy doing so perhaps (when the prequels are done?), but one page?! Ouch. I'm not sure I could manage that very effectively. It would certainly prove challenging.

Again, though, it depends on the subject matter. I, not knowing anything about your book or about Rowling's, cannot judge whether it should be shorter or whatever else. There is good reason why some literary works are as long as they are. Other times, it's pure wordiness and repetition, not to mention poor writing, that is to be blamed for a work that is way above average length. It's entirely dependent on the work itself, which one would have to read to pass judgment upon of course.

All I know is that I always make decisions about what I really must include and what I'd kind of like to include. I remember one time I was writing a review of some politically charged film and I ended up looking over several paragraphs I had and thinking, "What in the HELL is this?! This has nothing to do with the film, this is just my ramblings about political philosophy and it's not appropriate in this review." I ended up taking both paragraphs out, even though I liked them and even though I thought they were well written, just because they didn't really fit the point of my review. It was, after all, a review of a film, not a rant about politics. I admit to being guilty of including my political and philosophical ideas in many of my reviews, but I consider that a strength because I try to raise the issues without pressing my personal belief too much, but rather trying to suggest ideas about the film that make people think more about it.

In short, being concise in writing and being clear is most important, though sometimes, honestly, you really do need 250,000 words to say what you want! Other times, you may want to use 250,000, but should really use only 100,000, for instance.

That's my take, anyway. Take it as you will.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2003, 07:18:39 PM
Well I think the OOTP will be between 800-1000 pages which is a lot, now LOTR is longer than that my copy is over 1000 but it is smaller print than the Harry Potter books so I bet it would be about 1200-1300 in that print. What they will do is make a 5 hour film and cut it half and make two movies out of it. Of course all of this depends on the book there could be scenes that could be easily cut, it won't be an easy task but I am sure WB will do it (it will still depend on how 4 works out though).

Furrball
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:15:10 AM
Woohoo! I actually just read about this in the paper. I'm a big fan of Harry Potter (as well as SW of course)...and I honestly can't wait until this book comes out. I'll be there at midnight when the stores open. Like I did last time - for the Goblet of Fire.

When I first picked up the Sorcerer's Stone a few years back, I read a couple of pages and ended up putting it down. Then a couple of days later I picked it back up and got further into the book - and before I knew it - it was 5am and I had finished the book that night.....so that was really the beginning of my obsession. I've read the books at least 8 times each - if not more. If you haven't read the HP series I strongly suggest you do! It's no childrens book! Don't be fooled! ;)

I think the third book was my all-time favorite. So I can't wait until PoA comes out in theaters (wow..talk about jumping the gun - they haven't even started filming it yet).

Ah-ha! Wonderful! I enjoy long reads. If it was shorter than the goblet of fire I would have been somewhat disappointed. Considering we only have a couple of books left before she stops writing about HP....I'd feel ripped off if it was shorter than her last novel. So...therefor...I'm satisfied (not that anyone cares..but...right)....

Is anyone else going the night before to pick it up? Or am I a loner on this one? lol.

Wooo....well, I'm off. I have a headache and I'm getting sleepy. Night all! (sorry that was pretty random)

JediBoricua
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:26:36 AM
If they have it on midnight here, I'm going to buy it that night.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:09:36 PM
I don't know if I will do the midnight thing probably will just get in the next morning.

JediBoricua
Jan 18th, 2003, 09:53:14 PM
Some food for thought.

The HP fandom has been expecting OoTP for over three years now. In these three years they have reread the existing four books countless times, and if you search the major Harry Potter boards on the net you will find a very strong community, much like ours. These fans have been drawing their own conclusions about the saga, and many of them have written varying stories (some of them really good) and fan fictions about the future of Harry according to what they believe and want to happen. There even are different fan clubs, like the Ron and Hermione fan club, or the Ginny and Harry fan club, there even is a group that says Draco will reedem himself at the end, others that want X characters to die, etc. What will happen then when Rowling presents book five to the public and some, if not all, of these hypothesis do not prove true?

Should we expect a backlash a la TPM from some fans? Would we read remarks as Rowling raped my childhood? I find it interesting to study the reaction of fans when a series has been so deep rooted into their psyche that they take possession of it and the prospect of it not ending as they see fit is preposterous.

Obviously the effect of OoTP will not be as big as TPM, mostly because TPM was 20 years after ROTJ and the SW fan base had grown from children to adults, but it is somewhat similar. Although the first HP book appeared on 1993, it wasn't until GOF that the series consolidated as a major WW hit, getting numerous magazine covers and a motion picture contract. All of this has contributed the fan base to grow exponentially, thus expectations for this book will be extremely high just like TPM.

What will happen? Only time will tell I guess

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:17:00 PM
Good point, I am not sure if there will be any backlish against the books, its hard to say at the is point, I mean there could it will be intersting to see. Actually there has already been some backlash against the movies. I sometimes visit one particular Harry Potter forum, and Harry Potter fans aren't much different from SW fans some of them criticise the HP movies as much as some of us do to the SW movies, mostly because they aren't as close to the books as they would like.

JonathanLB
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:31:32 PM
I still remember people saying, "GEORGE LUCAS RAPED MY CHILDHOOD WITH TPM!" hahaha, god I cannot do anything but laugh at that. Jesus christ.

*shakes head*

Well I loved TPM, he gave me a great piece of my, uh, teenager-hood with that, haha. It kept me going for an entire year. I can hardly describe what that film did for me because its power goes beyond what any film should reasonably be able to do. It would be literally unreasonable to think any other film could ever have such a profound effect on me. The original Star Wars, of course, comes close, but given that TPM was the Star Wars of my generation, it just happened to impact me more, primarily because of my book on it. Besides that, though, I had a horrible sophomore year and worked about 12 hours per day or more. I slept about 6 hours a day max, and that was normally 3 after school, 3 at night. I missed 22 days that year. I was depressed constantly because of the work and I couldn't handle that pressure to succeed without feeling entirely physically and mentally spent. I just kept thinking about the end of the year, though. I kept thinking that on May 19, all of my hard work would be worth it because finally I'd get to see the first new Star Wars movie in 16 years. That kept me going every one of those days that I woke up feeling a bit ill or always too tired, or every one of those awful homework assignments that kept me up way past midnight. Every time I was bored in class, I was thinking of Star Wars and TPM.

Finally, I ended the year with 13 A's and 1 B, and with TPM, and it was a great summer. All thanks to George Lucas, who gave me more than a filmmaker should be able to do. So to those people who said TPM raped their childhood, I can only laugh. That is seriously hilarious, and I feel sorry for them, I really do. They just missed the point, which is sad, because I'd hate for anyone to miss out on the enjoyment I experienced.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:52:49 PM
Somebody has found the summary for it here it is I will cover it with spoiler tag to spare those who don't want to know. Really it reveals nothing huge, we don't find out who dies or what not so here it is

"I say to you all, once again – in the light of Lord Voldemort’s return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort’s gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust.”

So spoke Albus Dumbledore at the end of Harry Potter’s fourth year at Hogwarts. But as Harry enters his fifth year at wizard school, it seems those bonds have never been more sorely tested. Lord Voldemort’s rise has opened a rift in the wizarding world between those who believe the truth about his return, and those who prefer to believe it’s all madness and lies – just more trouble from Harry Potter.

Add this to a host of other worries for Harry…

A Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher with a personality like poisoned honey
A venomous, disgruntled house-elf
Ron as keeper of the Gryffindor Quidditch team
And of course, what every student dreads: end-of-term Ordinary Wizarding Level exams
…and you’d know what Harry faces during the day. But at night it’s even worse, because then he dreams of a single door in a silent corridor. And this door is somehow more terrifying than every other nightmare combined.

In the richest installment yet of J.K. Rowling’s seven-part story, Harry Potter confronts the unreliability of the very government of the magical world, and the impotence of the authorities at Hogwarts.

Despite this (or perhaps because of it) Harry finds depth and strength in his friends, beyond what even he knew; boundless loyalty, and unbearable sacrifice.

Though thick runs the plot (as well as the spine), readers will race through these pages, and leave Hogwarts, like Harry, wishing only for the next train back.

~*~

IN ADDITION, the book gives more text of the opening lines:

The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive. ... The only person left outside was a teenage boy who was lying flat on his back...[fades out]

Shawn
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:04:50 PM
Mm... I just never got around to reading the books and the movies seem like pretty faithful translations. If I do read them, I think I'd start on the third book and go from there.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:06:13 PM
1st book is okay

2nd... blech

3rd is very good

4th is the best and by all standards, excellent.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:09:40 PM
The first book is good
I like the second book better than the first
POA is my favorite
GOF is very good as well (it is my second fav of the series)

Figrin D'an
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:12:03 PM
"The Chamber of Secrets" hits DVD next Tuesday... I'll probably pick it up... though not as good as the first HP film, I still liked it, and I'd like to have all the films on DVD once they're done (assuming they keep going, of course... the third film is in the works, but who knows what will happen beyond that.)

I'll read the 5th book eventually, but I'm not going to rush out to get it, or pre-order it.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:13:37 PM
I thought the second film was definantly better thasn the first myself. It seemed to work far better

Shawn
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:15:52 PM
The plot of the second film seemed to be thought out much better than the first: No "Oh, it's right here in my pocket" moments (I thought that was a very lame way to end the first movie). Still, the Philosopher's Stone felt more "magical" to me than Chamber of Secrets. I felt more drawn into the world. So overall, I liked the first one better.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:16:15 PM
I agree I thought so too, the second film is darker and more of a mystery. I also thought the film had a better villain, Jason Issacs was wonderful I loved his scenes he was a lot better than the actor who played Quirrel. Also Kenneth Branaugh was great he was really funny in the movie. About the DVD the movie has like 19 deleted scenes and an interview with Rowling and the screenwriter Kloves it should be a great DVD, probably second best of the year.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:17:22 PM
it should be a great DVD, probably second best of the year.

I know what the best will be ^_^

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:21:08 PM
Yeah Marcus I know too :p that is why I said Second I am postive TTT will be the best.

About the movies that is why I can't wait for POA that book is great I really liked that book I just got into it and it is when I really into Harry Potter. If they follow the book as closely as the first two than this movie will be the best of the three. Also I was really happy when they cast Gary Oldman as Sirus Black he is going to be great in that role. I am kind of curious how Gambon will do as Dumbledore, he is a great actor, but in a way I will miss Harris he really did a good job in that role.

Figrin D'an
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:26:03 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
The plot of the second film seemed to be thought out much better than the first: No "Oh, it's right here in my pocket" moments (I thought that was a very lame way to end the first movie).

True... I too felt that wasn't a great plot device... but that is what happened in the book, so they remain faithful to what Rowling had penned for that scene.

Figrin D'an
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:33:21 PM
My only real concern about the 3rd, and potenially 4th, HP film is length. The second HP book was not much longer than the first, yet "Chamber of Secrets" was a 2 hr, 45 min film. The 3rd book is longer than those first two.... you can't push these things much longer than 3 hours.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:46:10 PM
Well I think the POA will be about 2 hr 45-3 hours. As for GOF they seem to want to do that in two parts. Basically they will make a four hour movie and cut it in half and have two two hour movies and they will release them like the Matrix, that is the rumor that is going around lately about it.

Figrin D'an
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:59:02 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Well I think the POA will be about 2 hr 45-3 hours. As for GOF they seem to want to do that in two parts. Basically they will make a four hour movie and cut it in half and have two two hour movies and they will release them like the Matrix, that is the rumor that is going around lately about it.

As much as that will make the fans of the books happy, splitting the 4th book into 2 two-hour parts just seems really lame. Honestly, there is enough material that could be cut from the book to make it a 3 hr film, and not adversely affect the story. This is becoming a bit like The Lord of the Rings, in that attempting to make "a film of the books," rather than an adaptation, could be a huge mistake. That amount of detail is wonderful in the written word, but trying to put it all onto film would result in a very ploding movie that is tedious to watch.

I hope that's just a silly rumor.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:01:55 AM
I don't think its a rumor I think its what Columbus wants I think it will depend on what the suits at WB think. Personally I think there is too much in GOF to cut and I would love to see a 4 hour film, two parts, I think it could be done and really work. I think it would be very successful to, but it will be up the WB execs they have the say on stuff like that.

Figrin D'an
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:10:21 AM
The litmus test for this will be The Matrix: Revolutions. It comes out about 6 months after Reloaded. If Revolutions doesn't do well, WB and Columbus may rethink that strategy.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:22:29 AM
Well IMDB has this to say

The makers of the massively successfully Harry Potter series of films are considering splitting the fourth novel into two separate films. The producer of Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire has revealed that pre-production is taking so long that the book may be made into two separate movies. David Heyman was speaking at the DVD launch of the second Potter film The Chamber Of Secrets. He says, "We started work on the script last Monday. We're going to shoot it as one and see how it ends up. If it's too long then we'll make it into two." The young cast of the film, including Daniel Radcliffe as Potter, were all at the launch party of what may become one of the biggest selling DVDs of all time. They all say they "cannot wait" to read JK Rowling's fifth book, The Order Of The Phoenix, out in June.

I agree about the Matrix but I see them both being very successful (200 million at least for each one) Actually if they do that they movies only need to make 400 million each (WW) to be successful I think that is very possible, it will be interesting to see. They will probably start filming it next year and by that time they will know the fate of the Matrix sequels.