PDA

View Full Version : Genre Favorites

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 14th, 2003, 04:05:12 AM
Some of the recent discussions motivated me to create this thread because I really want to know your top favorites. Myself, am not going to touch on every genre because I lack a cataloged list of every movie that has ever impressed me. Anyways...

Science-Fiction
Star Wars (original trilogy saga)

Fantasy
Lord of the Rings trilogy (already a given without seeing ROTK)

War
Platoon (tour-de-force performance by the whole cast. Not one weakness in this movie, even casted the production's military technical advisor Dale Dye as Captain Harris. Stone's one true great masterpiece. A perfect movie for a discussion!!!)

Western
Unforgiven (another tour-de-force. IMHO, suffers no weaknesses either. Great assemblage of talent.)

B-Movie
Evil Dead trilogy (What a wickedly fun romp!!!)

Suspense
Signs (eerie and atmospheric. Found this one most debatable with the Lector flicks and 'The Usual Suspects'.)

Horror
Resident Evil (reminiscent of Romero but more stylistic and teched. Very underrated film.)

Some of you peeps are prolly tired of hearing about some of these movies I worship. But oh well! :þ

Let's hear your's...

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 14th, 2003, 08:13:30 AM
Science-Fiction
Star Wars (all)

Fantasy
The Princess Bride

War
Band of Brothers (Actually, Captain Dale Dye is in this as well...playing Colonel Sink. I think a prerequisite of a good war movie is that it has to have Dale Dye in it :lol)

Western
Tombstone

B-Movie
Pulp Fiction

Suspense
Signs and Mothman Prophecies tie

Horror
The Ring

Romantic
Chasing Amy

Drama
Rudy

Comedy
Animal House

Animated
Lilo and Stitch

darth_mcbain
Jan 14th, 2003, 08:36:57 AM
Science-Fiction
Star Wars. I think this will probably be a common theme around here... :)

Fantasy
LOTR

War
Glory. It was a tossup between this and Saving Private Ryan, but I always liked Glory...

Western
Unforgiven

B-Movie
They Live!

Suspense
Se7en

Horror
Halloween

Romantic
Sleepless in Seattle

Comedy
Mallrats

Animated
Toy Story

JMK
Jan 14th, 2003, 09:10:54 AM
Science-Fiction
Star Wars.

Fantasy
LOTR

War
SPR

Western
Unforgiven

B-Movie
Pulp Fiction

Suspense
Usual Suspects

Drama
Shawhank Redemption

Romantic
Chasing Amy

Comedy
Mallrats

Animated
Titan AE

CMJ
Jan 14th, 2003, 09:12:56 AM
An impossible feat...since I have literally dozens of favorite films. :p I'll just show some of them, because quite frankly it's hard for me to pick my favorite in a single genre. Especially war, comedy, and suspense. I had like 10 films vieing for the top spot in each.

Science-Fiction
The Empire Strikes Back

Fantasy
The Princess Bride

War
The Thin Red Line

Western
High Noon

B-Movie
Plan 9 From Outerspace(so deliciously bad, it's good)

Suspense
Vertigo

Horror
Psycho

Romantic
Titanic

Drama
Schindler's List

Comedy
Airplane

Animated
Fantasia

Musical
Fiddler on the Roof

JonathanLB
Jan 14th, 2003, 09:51:08 AM
Some really good choices there, CMJ.

"Western
High Noon"

Heck yeah, I love High Noon. It's my favorite Western so far, too. When I was younger I rented it like 10 times, I drove my dad crazy by humming the "Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darlin'" tune over and over again, haha. The themes in that movie are really well developed too, even though some people may see it as just a simple Western, there is a lot there! I recently bought the DVD, too, after first renting it from NetFlix for my review.

But I'm disappointed. Titanic instead of, say, Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, Dr. Zhivago, or something like that?! haha. ;)

CMJ
Jan 14th, 2003, 10:02:47 AM
GWTW is overrated(I loved the fist two thirds or so, but then it turned into a soap opera). I really dig 'Casablanca' but no it wasn't there either. Amazingly enough I've never seen all of "Dr. Zhivago", though I think it's my dad's all-time favorite film. :\

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:17:03 AM
My list continued...

Drama
Schindler's List

Comedy
Three Amigos

Animated
Watership Down

Musical
Pink Floyd's The Wall

Dutchy
Jan 14th, 2003, 01:00:58 PM
Science-Fiction
12 Monkies

War
La Vita è Bella

Western
Back to the Future part III

Suspense
Funny Games

Horror
The Lift

Romantic
Show Me Love

Drama
American Beauty

Comedy
The Breakfast Club

Animated
Toy Story 2

sirdizzy
Jan 14th, 2003, 01:07:44 PM
Science-Fiction
Star Wars.

Fantasy
Lord of the Rings

War
Saving Private Ryan

B-Movie
Flash Gordon

Suspense
Signs

Drama
Shawshank Redemption

Horror
Evil Dead

Romantic
Where the Heart is

Comedy
Happy Gilmore

Animated
Toy Story

Sejah Haversh
Jan 14th, 2003, 01:39:25 PM
Science-Fiction:
Dune (the Sci-Fi Channel version)

Fantasy
The Princess Bride

War
The Bridge on the River Kwai

B-Movie
Resident Evil

Suspense
Signs or Rear Window

Drama
Forrest Gump

Horror
Pee-Wee's Big Top (Hey, it's scary)

Romantic
Only You, or Roman Holiday

Comedy
Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Movie AKA This Island Earth

Animated
The Emperor's New Groove, or Aladdin

Kung-Fu
Twin Warriors, or Enter the Dragon

Action
Ronin, or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Musical
The Pirates of Penzace

Figrin D'an
Jan 14th, 2003, 02:54:48 PM
Science-Fiction
Star Wars (OT)

Fantasy
The Lord of the Rings

War
Band of Brothers

Western
Tombstone

B-Movie
Pulp Fiction

Suspense
The Silence of the Lambs

Horror
Psycho

Romantic
Casablanca

Drama
The Godfather

Action
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Comedy
(tie) The Life of Brian
Dr. Strangelove

Animated
Fantasia

Musical
The Little Shop of Horrors

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:49:04 PM
Science-Fiction
Star Wars (OT)

Fantasy
The Lord of the Rings - How can it be anything else?

War
Bridge of the River Kua

Western
Unforgiven

B-Movie
Evil Dead III

Suspense
Aliens

Horror
The Birds

Romantic
Four Weddings and a Funeral

Drama
None

Action
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Comedy
Meaning of Life

Animated
Toy Story

Musical
HATE THEM

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 14th, 2003, 04:31:27 PM
Science-Fiction
Star Wars!! Dune was excellent too (sci-fi channel)

Fantasy
The Princess Bride!!!!

LotR is a VERY CLOSE SECOND :)

War
Saving Private Ryan

(Although "I was a Male War Bride" is pretty good too ;))

Western
Tombstone

...DUH!

B-Movie
Eight Legged Freaks

I think it qualifies :)

Suspense
Se7en

Horror
I can't remember ever watching a true horror film. Although I love the Scream movies.

Romantic
Playing by Heart (I think this is the title...Gillian Anderson, Sean Connery, Ryan Philippe...)

Comedy
Liar Liar

Suspense
The 6th Sense

Drama
The Messenger

Action
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Musical
Newsies

Animated
The Emperor's New Groove

I love About a Boy, but I'm not sure what genre to plug it into!!! :cry

JonathanLB
Jan 14th, 2003, 06:04:48 PM
The Breakfast Club, what a classic film. That's definitely one I sometimes forget about... and 12 Monkeys rocks. Great sci-fi, one of my top 20 maybe...

"Amazingly enough I've never seen all of "Dr. Zhivago", though I think it's my dad's all-time favorite film."

Wow CMJ, I am disappointed, your status as the greatest film buff has been diminished. lol, j/k. Yeah I actually really like that film. I've seen it just once in entirety, and will watch it again within the next 2 months before I review it for my AFI Top 100 list review, but I have watched bits and pieces more than once or even more than twice. It just was a film long enough so that I've only seen it fully one time. Great cinematography...

Gone With the Wind overrated, haha, well what do you expect it is the most popular movie in ticket sales ever made, so it's going to be overrated no matter what :) I still think it's a great film. I've not seen that movie fully in a long time either, I've seen parts probably 3-4 times because my sister and dad used to watch it yearly.

Marcus, I understand your sentiment on musicals, and amazingly many film critics and film experts actually will admit they aren't big musical fans, but there are a few that if you've not seen, you should give a chance because I felt they were excellent and I admit I'm not a big musical fan either. It's not that I don't like musicals, because I do like good ones, but it's just that if I ranked the genres, I admit I'd put musicals right near the bottom. I still loved Chicago, though, well worth seeing, and among the classics, I think Singin' in the Rain is the best musical ever made. It's just a great film in general. There are at least a few you may like somewhat, even though you're not into the genre. I personally enjoyed My Fair Lady, even though it's super long, because a few of the songs are actually somewhat catchy, for one, and second the plot is still really well developed. It would have been 1.5 hours without the musical elements and instead it's like 3, but ah well.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 14th, 2003, 06:11:09 PM
I've seen a few musicals, like Singing in the Rain and My Fair (PUKE *GAAAK*)... even the Sound of Music, Rocky Horror Picture Show and Little Shop of Horrors, and others, but I just cant gel with them. Fact is, the closest to a musical I like is The Lion King. It's just not a genre I can enjoy.

But I dont mind watching a Musical on Stage however. On film... seems to lose a lot for me.

JMK
Jan 14th, 2003, 07:42:22 PM
Although not a real musical per se, I love The Commitments.

CMJ
Jan 14th, 2003, 08:45:38 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB

Wow CMJ, I am disappointed, your status as the greatest film buff has been diminished. lol, j/k. Yeah I actually really like that film. I've seen it just once in entirety, and will watch it again within the next 2 months before I review it for my AFI Top 100 list review, but I have watched bits and pieces more than once or even more than twice. It just was a film long enough so that I've only seen it fully one time. Great cinematography...

You're disappointed in me, think of how my Dad feels. Actually I'm not sure he knows I've never seen the whole film, if he did he'd probably disown me. ;)

Really there's no excuse, I LOVE David Lean. He was one of the greats. I'll make a point to rent it here soon.

ReaperFett
Jan 14th, 2003, 08:58:03 PM
Science-Fiction
A Star Wars movie, although not 100% SF

Fantasy
Star Wars could go here too ;)

I dont overly remember any Fantasy, so I suppose FOTR:EE

War
Kelly's Heroes!

Western
The Magnificent Seven

B-Movie
Army of Darkness

Suspense
Se7en

Horror
Evil Dead 2 or From Dusk with Dawn (I dont care that its not proper Horror, SW isnt proper SF!;))

Drama
Reservoir Dogs

Comedy
Airplane!, Naked Gun, Brooks movies, Hot Shots.......something like that. Nothing too recent.

Animated
pass

Musical
pass

Action
Hard Boiled/The Killer/A Better Tommorow/Boondock Saints

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 14th, 2003, 09:55:04 PM
My second place 'Runner-ups'!

Science Fiction
Bladerunner

Fantasy
The Princess Bride

War
Glory

Western
The Long Riders or Geronimo (both W. Hill films)

B-Movie
Carpenter's The Thing

Suspense
The Usual Suspects

Horror
The Shining (Kubrick)

Drama
Immortal Beloved (tough genre)

Comedy
Plains, Trains, or Automobiles OR Throw Momma from the Train

Animated
NONE

Musical
NONE

JMK
Jan 14th, 2003, 10:29:16 PM
I'm with you CMJ, Lean was unbelievably good. He certainly knew how to pick his projects though. I don't think enough people really know who the guy is though. If you mention movies like Dr. Zhivago, Bridge on the River Kwai and Laurence of Arabia, I bet 95% of people in general couldn't tell you who the director was.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:54:16 PM
Yes, Kwai and Lawrence are two of my all-time favorites. Sadly, I haven't seen Dr. Zhivago yet, myself. The direction in the two I ahve, though, is flat out phenomenal, though Lawrence really is the better of the two.

JMK
Jan 15th, 2003, 12:04:19 AM
Well alot of folks do call Lawrence of Arabia a "perfect, flawless" film. Hard to argue that.

Dae Jinn
Jan 15th, 2003, 12:06:53 AM
Wow, I've actually seen some of Dr Zhivago...weird considering I have probably seen maybe one third the films you guys have :lol It's pretty good, what I saw anyways.

CMJ
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:01:46 AM
'Lawrence' is one of my favorite films of all-time. I've never really sat down and pondered a list, but if I did...it'd be in the top somewhere.

darth_mcbain
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:09:57 AM
I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia. Its one of those ones I keep meaning to get to and never seem to find the time for... Maybe this year...

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2003, 01:34:08 PM
Science-Fiction
ESB, ANH, Blade Runner, 2001 (in that order)

Fantasy
LOTR, TTT, Excalibur (in that order)

War
Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, The Caine Mutiny

Western
Once Upon A Time in the West, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven

B-Movie
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Horror
Exorcist

Romantic
Casablanca (Favorite all time movie)

Comedy
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby

Animated
The Lion King

Musical
Moulin Rouge, Grease (in that order)

Drama
Citizen Kane

JonathanLB
Jan 15th, 2003, 02:29:56 PM
I guess I have to admit, I've never seen The Lawrence of Arabia! And I call myself a film buff, haha, god. See that is the problem of being 20, not enough years to have seen it all. I have it, though! I literally just got it from NetFlix about a week ago and I've just been trying to unbury myself so I can watch it. It's ok, I'll get to it soon, maybe this weekend I hope.

You are right though, JMK, I would not have been able to tell you who directed those films. That's a shame because he is obviously a great director. Well, I have made note of it now! :)

"It's just not a genre I can enjoy."

Ok, I can accept that. I was just checking to see what musicals you had seen... I mean, I can sympathize, but I appreciate what are considered "the best" musicals, personally. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the Marilyn Monroe film, is actually really funny too! Not as much a musical as some, but it does qualify. I enjoyed it anyway.

Torriana Marx
Jan 15th, 2003, 02:38:57 PM
Science-Fiction
None.

Fantasy
Not really into this genre.. LOTR, I guess.

War
Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump (don't know if that should be counted as drama or not), Black Hawk Down...

Western
None.

B-Movie
None.

Suspense
Sixth Sense (although I knew how it was going to end from beforehand)

Horror
Exorcist, all the Child's Play movies (not for the horror, but for Chucky :D)

Romantic
None.

Drama
Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile

Comedy
Idle Hands!

Animated
Mulan, maybe.

Action
Gone In 60 Seconds