Sunday, January 19th

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Philadelphia Eagles, 3 p.m. EST

Tennessee Titans at Oakland Raiders, 6:30 p.m. EST

Picks must be in by 3pm EST.

Jedieb
Jan 12th, 2003, 08:48:25 PM
WIN Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Philadelphia Eagles, 3 p.m. EST

Tennessee Titans at Oakland RaidersWIN, 6:30 p.m. EST

I wouldn't advise anyone to follow my Bucs pic. It's totally emotional. The odds are really against Tampa. They simply don't match up well against Philly. Don't get too enamered with their offensive display today. SF's secondary was weak to begin with and the absence of starters and first quarter injuries only made matters worse. Philly's defense can match Tampa's. Those squads will cancel each other out. Which means the offense that can squeeze out enough points will win the game. Tampa's strength is their passing game but they don't have the speed to overcome Philly's great corners. Those corners are big and physical. Guys like Bobby Taylor were drafted specifically to stop big physical receivers like Michael Irving. Irving killed Philly for years but when Taylor got there he shut Irving down pretty effectively. Those Philly corners can handle big strong receivers who aren't very fast and that describes Tampa's receivers to a T. So the Bucs will have to be able to run the ball and I don't see that happening against Philly's front 4.

Tampa's defense will be able to stop Philly for the most part. But I can see Duce Staley grinding out some yards and wearing them down late in the game. My one hope is that Philly continues to struggle offensively. They haven't really put up big points in their last 2 games. If Tampa can hold them to a TD and a couple of FG's then I think they have a chance. But the Bucs need at least 1 offensives TD, 3 FG's, and TURNOVERS!!! They've got to force McNab into some turnovers and give the offense a short field. Tampa needs at least 10 points off turnovers to win. I think they're going to break my heart, but I gotta believe!

Titans at Oakland
I like both of these teams. I think they can both beat Philly. I really don't know who to root for. Tenn looked pretty weak on pass D. yesterday. If Rolle gets burned by Oakland the way he did yesterday then Tenn. could get overwhelmed. I'm going with Oakland, but I'd be happy to see Tenn win. If Tampa loses then the AFC team is going to be my Superbowl pick.

JMK
Jan 12th, 2003, 09:03:25 PM
Nice breakdowns!
I see the Philly/Tampa game as two evenly matched teams. The big difference to me, is McNabb (real original, I know). As for the Raiders/Titans, I think the Raiders are much superior in just about every aspect. Still, the Titans are the definition of "team", and they all play together as a unit which is always difficult to stop.

I'm going with the Eagles and Raiders. Home field advantage baby. :)

Darth23
Jan 12th, 2003, 09:52:52 PM
Philly & Oakland. - replay of the 1980(?) Superbowl.

Though the Bucs are my second favorite team.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2003, 10:17:46 PM
Well my mind is maid up Titans and Eagles, I will never pick Oakland I despise them.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 12th, 2003, 10:20:59 PM
Eagles and Raiders.

JMK
Jan 12th, 2003, 10:23:22 PM
:lol That's the KC Chief in you, isn't it?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2003, 10:30:55 PM
Pretty much, I also don't like Al Davis, I thought it was awful the way he treated one of the greatest RBS of all time, and to show him he will go into the hall of fame as a Chief (which I am glad he will). I am also kind of rooting for the Titans they are closest team left to me. If Oakland makes to SB I will defintely be rooting for the NFC.

JMK
Jan 12th, 2003, 11:07:45 PM
At this point I think I'm pulling for the Titans and Bucs. I like McNair, George & Fisher, and I'm pulling for the Bucs in support of Jedieb. I'm going into next week's action with mixed emotions for sure as I picked the 2 teams I don't want to win.

Taylor Millard
Jan 13th, 2003, 01:14:06 AM
Bucs

Raiders

which means Philly 'n Tenn is gonna win.

*has the luck of Nick Bakay

JonathanLB
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:41:41 AM
Raiders and Philly for me.

I am glad the Raiders won, even though I picked the Jets, I always said I hoped the Raiders would manage to show they are the better team. The "experts" were really being stupid too. Most of the experts, 5 of 8 on ESPN, picked the Jets. What gives?! One big victory and they forget about the entire great season Oakland had? What is wrong with these people? When I chose the Jets I didn't do so because I thought they were the better team, I did so because I wanted to pick an upset and thought that was a good shot at one. It was obvious all along that the Raiders are an overall more powerful and better football team. I just thought the Jets might be hot enough to pull off an upset like the Falcons in Green Bay. I'm glad I was wrong and I'm glad the Raiders showed they are for real.

I personally pick the Raiders to win the Super Bowl... another ring for Jerry Rice. So, since he was a Niner for 16 years, the Niners are still represented in the NFL's last teams now :) Go Raiders!!!

CMJ
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:11:03 AM
Bucs
Titans

I'm going with two upsets, boy I'm smart. :p

sirdizzy
Jan 14th, 2003, 12:58:03 PM
me takes please oh please oh please file

Philadelphia Eagles,

Tennessee Titans

nothing could be worse then a raiders vs bucs superbowl not even that ravens and giants superbowl (and only the second dallas bills game has ever had the potental)

Jedieb
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:00:05 PM
ESPN has a poll of which Superbowl matchup you'd like to see (it could be SI, I'm not certain) and the Bucs V. Raiders is leading the way with over 50% of the vote. For Raider haters this may be a no win situation because whoever wins you've got a former Raider with a ring (Gruden or his former team). I think many are choosing this matchup because the hype around Gruden V. Al Davis is just too juicy to pass up. You know who I'm rooting for, but I think a Bucs V. Raiders game would be WAYYY better than that Ravens V. Giants matchup. Sapp at a microphone on media will make the week entertaining enough.:smokin

Ishan Shade
Jan 14th, 2003, 04:12:38 PM
Bucs and Raida's!

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:09:04 PM
I rather see the Titans and Eagles I think it would be the better game. Now if it is Titans-Bucs it could be a case of what if (since the bucs came that close to playing them three years ago)

Figrin D'an
Jan 15th, 2003, 12:33:19 AM
Sunday, January 19th

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Philadelphia Eagles (W)

Tampa Bay will play better at the Vet this time than they did earlier in the season and have in recent years. But, it won't quite be enough. People can think that it's the crappy field, or the cold, or a mental block, but it really comes down to the simple fact the Philadelphia matches up extremely well with the Tampa Bay on both sides of the ball. The most glaring example of this is the WR/DB match-ups for both teams. The Bucs have a fast and hard-hitting secondary, but they are undersized. Guys like Thrash and Pinkeston can jump over them. Conversely, Tampa Bay's wideouts are decent sized, and while they have good hands, but the Eagles corners are faster and more physical. The Bucs need to get touchdowns.... they can't rely on Gramatica field goals to be enough, not with McNabb's big play ability. A close game, but the Eagles pull out a win.

Tennessee Titans at Oakland Raiders (W)

I'd love to pick Tennessee to win this game. I really would. They should have one the Super Bowl 3 years ago, as the outplayed the Rams, but came up 6 inches short. I think, however, that the Titan's injuries finally will catch up with them this week. Steve McNair is a great player... he's been the heart and soul of the Titan's team this year... but he'll be hard pressed to make enough plays against a Raiders defense that is playing championship-quality football. Tennessee, like Tampa Bay, will need a lot of points to stay in the game, because if their defense plays like it did against Pittsburgh, Gannon will put up 400+ passing yards. Oakland is clicking at the right time, and barring a freakish string of injuries or bad luck, they'll be too much for a beat up Tennessee team.

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2003, 08:49:37 AM
Every time I look at the match up I get depressed. There is some hope however. The game earlier this season at Philly was fairly close. Philly eventually wore down Tampa's D and put up a lot of rushing yards in the 4th quarter. This should be a much more competitive game than last year's playoff game. If they can just stay close until the 4th quarter, or get some kind of lead early on then they'll have a fighting chance.

JMK
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:02:21 AM
I heard Keyshawn's interview yesterday on Jim Rome's radio show, and the way he sounded, he's going to win the game for the Bucs himself. Of course, that's Keyshawn and his big mouth.

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:45:05 AM
That's my only sore spot with the Bucs. Alot of people don't like Sapp, but I've never had a problem with him, I think he's funny. But Keyshawn's talent has never been as big as his mouth. He talks as if he's Moss or Owens. He's not in their class. Ever since he took shots at the overachieving Crebet in that stupid book of his he's bugged the crap out of me. Just shut up and run your stupid slant, cuz' you're too damn slow to do much else except go in the middle of the field and use your body to shield the defender behind you. :shootin

JonathanLB
Jan 15th, 2003, 02:48:13 PM
Good point, EB, lol. That was funny.

Yeah he has a big mouth and no game to back it up.

JMK
Jan 15th, 2003, 03:33:45 PM
You should download the interview at jimrome.com. Listen to the way he talks about how he KNOWS coming into the season that he will catch 100 passes for 1000+ yds & how at the end of his career he will have hall of fame numbers when he's done, but he wants a ring to consider himself great. It was an entertaining interview, but this guy is full of himself.

Figrin D'an
Jan 16th, 2003, 12:25:08 AM
I can name about 15 active wide receivers that I would pick for a fantasy football team ahead of Keyshawn Johnson. He can think whatever he wants. If Tampa Bay wins a Super Bowl anytime soon, it will be because of their defense, not him.

I find interesting to note that, for him to finally put up decent numbers in a Tampa Bay uniform, it took them to sign Keanan McKardell and for Joe Juravicious to have a breakout year. Having trouble with that double coverage, huh Keyshawn? Shows just how valuable Wayne Crebet was to Keyshawn's high-number years as a Jet.

JonathanLB
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:31:41 AM
You do realize that if they win the Super Bowl he is going to have even more ammunition to spout his mouth don't you? lol :D

I really hope that doesn't happen, no offense to Tampa Bay. Go Raiders! :)

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:41:05 AM
If they win the SB in Keyshawn's mind, it'll be all about HIM. Last season was a perfect example of the kind of receiver he is. He caught over 100 passes but only had 1TD! ONE!!!! He can use his body to work over a safety, but there isn't a corner in the league that can't cover him one on one. Hell, even Sehorn could shut Keyshauwn down. Bottom line, Keyshawn is a great SECOND or THIRD receiver, nothing more. I really think he may be out of Tampa next year. Gruden needs a speed guy and Keyshauwn will be too expensive next year. Plus, Keyshauwn is probably itching to leave a team in which all of the stars are on the defense. That's Sapp's team, not his. That's got to be killing his ego.

JMK
Jan 16th, 2003, 09:50:51 AM
I love it when big mouthed, flamboyant, self-proclaimed stars gets knocked down a notch.

jjwr
Jan 16th, 2003, 03:49:45 PM
Ok lets see....I'll pick

Bucs over the Eagles
Raiders over the Titans

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 17th, 2003, 04:57:06 PM
Bucs
Raiders

Ho hum. :)

JonathanLB
Jan 17th, 2003, 05:38:13 PM
There is talk that Jurevicius might not play for the Bucs on Sunday.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs02/s/2003/0117/1494345.html

If that sways anyone's opinions. Just thought I'd point it out anyway.

JMK
Jan 17th, 2003, 07:08:38 PM
I'd expect to see him there, but if he isn't, that certainly isn't good news for the Bucs, he opens things up for the others.

ReaperFett
Jan 17th, 2003, 07:39:45 PM
Tampa
LA...I mean Oakland

JMK
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:04:21 PM
Here's some more food for thought: Does anyone think that the Eagles will lose their last game at Veteran Stadium?

JonathanLB
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:58:44 PM
No.

The Eagles have killed the Bucs every time. Either that means that the Bucs are due, if you're a Bucs fan, lol, or it means that the Eagles OWN the Bucs, which is the correct answer. The Eagles are the one team that has had no problems defeating the Bucs and making them look rather pathetic, which they are not. They're a great team, too, but the Eagles have their number. I don't think Sunday will be any different.

Jedieb
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:25:44 PM
I heard about Jurevicius earlier in the week. The poor guy. This should have been one of the best weeks of his life. The team flew up yesterday, he's suppose to fly up today. I just hope everything turns out okay with his wife and child. There's no telling how this effect him on Sunday. He missed the entire week's practice. He could be totally distracted or freakishly focused.

Last year's playoff game was a spanking but the game earlier this year was very close. It was 13-10 in the 4th quarter before the Eagles finally won 20-10. Both teams have made improvements since then but it's still going to be a defensive battle. If either team can reach 20 points that'll probably be your winner.

Isn't it weird that in such an unpredictable season there weren't that many surprises in the conference match ups? Aside from Tenn. all of these teams were early season Superbowl picks for many. If Philly and Oakland end up playing you'll have the match up many have been calling for since September.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:33:19 PM
I know it is odd especially that the top 4 teams made that hasn't happened since 1998 season when you had Denver, NY Jets, Minnesota and Atlanta, the last time you had both #1 seeds in the SB was 1989 with Denver vs S.F of course that great matchup was one of the worst routs in SB history. I am still hoping for Phil/TB vs Tennessee that way you have two teams that have never won a SB.

JonathanLB
Jan 18th, 2003, 01:48:13 PM
Whenever the Niners get into the Super Bowl, you know the result. :) 5-0 -- including several awful routs! Haha.

Jedieb
Jan 18th, 2003, 06:20:42 PM
Jurevicius' son is doing much better. He was born a month prematurely. That's great news. He showed up in Philly today still wearing his hospital ID bracelet.

JMK
Jan 18th, 2003, 06:27:47 PM
I bet he'll still be wearing it tomorrow.
It is strange to think that as weird this season has been, the playoffs have almost been predictable. :\

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 18th, 2003, 07:43:10 PM
Eagles

Titans

>_<;

JonathanLB
Jan 18th, 2003, 08:13:06 PM
Just 3 more games left this season. That is really depressing.

Then we have to wait until September before real football again. Oh yeah we have baseball to tide us over, uhh, not. lol, that's not a fair trade at all. :)

JMK
Jan 18th, 2003, 08:38:13 PM
It's a shame, if you were a hockey fan you'd be good until june like I will be!

Hey Jon, what happened to Raweed Wallace today?:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:21:55 PM
There is College Basketball, which I love especially the NCAA tournament that thing is just incredible.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 18th, 2003, 10:49:25 PM
What about Tennis, lol j/p

Picks:

Eagles vs Titans

JonathanLB
Jan 18th, 2003, 11:32:58 PM
I hate the refs -- 7 game suspension is ridiculous. Of course, it will cost the Blazers 3-4 wins probably... They're not a one-dimensional team, but he IS the leading scorer and they need him to win the big games.

I really like hockey, it's a lot of fun to watch, a great, exciting sport, IMO, but then again I basically like every pro sport with the exception of soccer, which I don't hate either. I've watched a few soccer games I thought, personally, were a lot of fun to watch. I just don't much care for the sport, though I played for five years and enjoyed that. I like hockey, I love football, I love basketball, I like baseball (love playoff baseball), I love golf, so I pretty much am an indiscriminate sports viewer, lol. I watch racing too, if it's like the Indy 500 or the Daytona race or whatever. I'm not a big racing fan by any means, but hey, I like watching.

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 01:58:21 PM
GAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crack

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:10:51 PM
They couldn't have started the game any worse. Ughh.

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:30:18 PM
Oh crap, an INT. Double coverage and Johnson forced it into Keyshawn. why, why....

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 02:45:55 PM
THIS GAME IS ON!!!!!!!!
The defense has held on a long kick return and an INT. The offense has stepped up and driven 96 yards with a big play by Jurevicius. 10-7 Bucs and the freakin' battle has been joined. :crack

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 03:09:27 PM
10-10
This is going to be a battle.

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 03:25:39 PM
17-10 Bucs and the Mouth has delivered!

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 03:43:46 PM
HUGE play by Simeon Rice to deny the possible FG or TD!!
DO YOU BELIEVE!!!!

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:05:34 PM
And the Mouth drops a perfect strike on 2nd and 16 that would have been a first down. Son of a .................
The second half begins and the Eagles have field position.

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:40:41 PM
20-10
16 minutes away from the Superbowl.

GraNi NaColu
Jan 19th, 2003, 04:41:47 PM
I hope that the Titans win, I never liked Oakland.

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:04:41 PM
6:31 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
C'mon DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crack

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:08:51 PM
Finally a blitz!!!!!!!!! DON'T PLAY SOFT!!!!!!!!1

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:10:06 PM
GAME OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:crack

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:10:34 PM
Ronde Barber is a STUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Player of the game!!!!

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 19th, 2003, 06:32:33 PM
I'm taking it Tampa Bay won?

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2003, 07:22:23 PM
They DOMINATED! :)
27-10

JMK
Jan 19th, 2003, 09:46:07 PM
Congrats Eb! Now on to the big dance!

I was a little disappointed in the entertainment value of both games today. But I guess it's fitting that the #1 defense goes up against the #1 offense.

Figrin D'an
Jan 19th, 2003, 09:51:19 PM
I think I'm going to avoid ESPN until next Sunday... they're going to milk the "Gruden's Old Team vs. Gruden's New Team" angle, and I would prefer not to puke listening the Primetime crew overanalyze the situation.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 19th, 2003, 10:22:42 PM
I guess I will root for your Bucs Jedieb, I could never root for the Raiders, I despise them.

JMK
Jan 19th, 2003, 10:30:11 PM
You're dead on Figrin. They had already started with it during the post game show. Sometimes I wish they could find other things to talk about other than the NFL. Most angles are so spent by the end of tuesday. :\

Jedieb
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:45:17 PM
I'm going to be loving the HYPE! This is the game the media was hoping for. ESPN is always my choice over FOX or CBS. ABC has the Superbowl this year so I don't know what Madden and the gang have in store. This is going to be AWESOME!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:13:35 PM
I was right with my picks! Hooray for me!

Figrin D'an
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:24:54 PM
I don't mind hype for a big game, but the "on-the-field" hype is what I'm interested in... the "#1 offense vs. #1 defense" stuff, breaking down gameplans, looking for mismatches and plays to watch for... I have no interest in hearing about the "Gruden Bowl" storyline... the players and coaches are going to be sick of it too. It's just going to take away from what otherwise could be a very good football game.

JMK
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:01:19 PM
I would just like to be able to punch the leechy journalists who hang around looking for one good quote to start a war of words. Let the friggin teams prepare for the biggest game of their lives without your distractions!

Jedieb
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:05:42 PM
Avoid the tube tomorrow, it's media day. Sapp, Me-Shawn, Middleton, Romanowski, and thousands of microphones. heaven help us....