PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

Armaiil Kryatir
Jan 11th, 2003, 02:19:08 PM
As an evil doctor I can alter genetic code, implant bionic body parts, accelerate growth, and brainwash people. But I can only do these things so many times in so many different ways before the novelty wears out...so I was wondering:

Would it be possible to reverse the growth of a being? For example, could I reduce an adult to the body of a child? I've tried to think of how it could be done, and my best idea so far is to simply use the process of growth acceleration, but instead of accelerating, reverse the growth. Or to genetically alter whatever it is that makes people grow taller to make them grow smaller. Is this possible? And if it is, does anyone have a better idea of how to do it?

Figrin D'an
Jan 11th, 2003, 02:25:32 PM
Use temporal mechanics... literally reverse the flow of time in a confined area to force living tissue to become younger.

Of course... whether or not such a thing would be allowed on this board is another question entirely.

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 11th, 2003, 02:34:52 PM
I have no doubt that something that ridiculous is possible. Not with any scientific methods we currently have of course, but in the SW universe with science it seems where there's a will, there is a way and like your sig says, there are no moral bounds.

I would think some sort of chemical enzyme that could be introduced via inhalation or even injection, could bring about a reaction which breaks down the genetic make-up of a person and rearranges it. I'd imagine to make it fair and believeable, you would have to make no less than five different enzymes which will break the genetic code at different levels.

eg.

Call newborn "Point A"
Call childhood "Point B"
Call adolescence "Point C"
Call young adulthood "Point D"
Call Middle-Age "Point E"
And Old-Age "Point F"

To turn a ninety year old into a ten year old, you would have to use three of the enzymes. One to get from F to E. Then from E to D. The from D to C. As a rule I would also suggest, the greater the age change, the longer the time it takes each enzyme to act progressively.

If you are going to embark in something like this in roleplaying you will have to devise such rules to make it fair and interesting.

Armaiil Kryatir
Jan 11th, 2003, 02:35:29 PM
Ooh...there's an idea I hadn't thought of...how do I determine if this is allowable or not?

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 11th, 2003, 02:49:08 PM
Best thing to do is ask a moderator. Hopefully one will come along and have a thought on it and maybe call for the opinions of other roleplaying moderators.

Although it is more a case of how well and responsibly this is roleplayed out.

Armaiil Kryatir
Jan 11th, 2003, 02:52:57 PM
Thank you, I didn't see your first post until just now...the idea of time is good, but the enzymes seems to be more my style...though both could be extremely painful>D. I usually don't do anything to a character unless given permission, and I intend to try this on one of my characters first, as an example for myself to follow in the future and for others to see.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 11th, 2003, 03:48:18 PM
I don't think it would be possible. It would be taking away what already exists and making it vanish literally into thin air.

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 11th, 2003, 04:09:21 PM
not if the body's structure is broken into chemical energy. It would almost be like digesting yourself, but in theory, it could perhaps be possible. Though as the process went on, the person's metabolism would go through the roof, most likely.

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 11th, 2003, 06:20:12 PM
If you do the digesting type thing that Diego did, just make sure that you set the victim's body back to normal. I'd hate to die because I digested myself.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 11th, 2003, 07:20:37 PM
I cant see how it would work. I'll tap the biology student I know on the shoulder and see if she can see if it could be possible at all even in theory. Unlikely I would say at first glance.

Figrin D'an
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:29:41 PM
This kind of depends upon what exactly you want to do... you could alter m-RNA to facilitate the resequencing of the genetic structure of the subject, but that really isn't making the person any younger... it would just potentially make the tissue more healthy, resilient, more efficient. You could also end up with a mass of odd mutations, though. Biologically, though, I don't really see a way to make a person "younger." If you want a more youthful version of a person, the best method would be cloning.

I guess.... maybe, in theory... you could completely convert a person into energy, then rebuild them on a "smaller scale"... but then, you'd have a lot of quantum physical boundries to overcome, not to mention the raw data storage and computing power needed to pull something like that off...

... unless you live the Star Trek universe and have things like Heisenberg Compensators. ;) :p

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:32:13 PM
I was thinking the bones, I don't see how it is possible for your bones to digest down. And that is basically all age is, the growth of bones. Everything else grows to fit the size of the bones.

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:35:28 PM
Slowing would be more likely, but you might be able to.

Figrin D'an
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:41:06 PM
Age has many more factors than just the growth of bones.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:59:55 PM
I know, but everything else is possible to shrink back down. I just doubt that you can shrink the bones.

And note: Must aging is caused by Sun Radiation and usage. (Bone ailments) But lots of it Radiation

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:06:49 PM
Once I asked my mom why my great grandma was so short, and she said that she had some condition that made her shrink.

I don;t remember what the condition was called. I'm not sure how I would go about researching that, though. but if Armaiil can give that condition to someone, maybe that would work?

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:15:12 PM
um, no, Wei, that's something else, has to do with some bones collapsing if I remember correctly......

Armaiil Kryatir
Jan 11th, 2003, 11:46:17 PM
Both sides make valid points...there is the matter of the excess cells to deal with, as well as numerous other things. The purpose is not to make the person grow younger, simply to shrink the person's body, if the matter of reducing age was a problem.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 12th, 2003, 01:06:58 AM
Shrinking same thing. Unless you manually cut out half the bones on the inside, and make them a midget, then it won't be possible. It is like taking away half of your Harddrive, Ram, and Speed in your PC. It can be done, but the ending result sucks.

**Shudders to think about returning to a 600mhz Processor and only having 1 strip of 256 Ram.**

THE HORROR!!!

Which Reminds me, I got those Extra Ram slots of a reason! i should buy some more!!!

Zeke
Jan 12th, 2003, 10:00:18 AM
But what of Vornskr transformations? Wouldn't they have the same problems?

Sanis Prent
Jan 12th, 2003, 11:36:49 AM
no

Zeke
Jan 12th, 2003, 11:46:01 AM
Ok. And I take it that's the answer to the orginal question of reversing growth? No, it's not possible?

Sanis Prent
Jan 12th, 2003, 12:13:14 PM
That's the answer of if it applies to the Vornksr transformation.

Zeke
Jan 12th, 2003, 12:39:36 PM
Ok, so...now I guess we just get a final answer on is it possible or not.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 12th, 2003, 01:55:54 PM
Hmm, I wouldn't mind seeing this, but I'll have to wait for the complete conclusion of this...

Armaiil Kryatir
Jan 13th, 2003, 01:09:54 PM
So do we think it's possible to turn an adult into a child? Yes? No? Maybe? I need to know before I start my next thread...

Sanis Prent
Jan 13th, 2003, 01:17:43 PM
I guess no.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 13th, 2003, 02:11:56 PM
You could probably inflict enough brain damage to send a fully grown person back to thinking they were five.

But then I don't know if you'd be able to reverse it or not. :)

Armaiil Kryatir
Jan 13th, 2003, 04:52:45 PM
No it is then. Thank you for your time.