PDA

View Full Version : You could've pronounced me dead for five minutes...

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 10th, 2003, 05:38:41 PM
I was at school today, and me and a friend happen to stroll into the library and by the maganize section when something caught my eye, and every bit of my attention.

On the front of Newsweek was none other than the One, Neo himself. My natural reaction was to dive for the magazine and nearly rip it open for the Matrix Reloaded article! I saw pictures that, to say the least, were breathtaking. They are saying that thecar scene in this movie is going to be one of the greatest cinema car chase scenes ever! Not to mention Neo fights 100 Agent Smith's! I'm about to claw my eyes out waiting for its theatrical release in May!

Silus Xilarian
Jan 10th, 2003, 05:41:03 PM
You're gonna claw your eyes out???

I'll gladly pay 10 dollars for that footage :)

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 10th, 2003, 05:42:54 PM
I watched the teaser trailer this morning for the Matrix movies due out later this year. I think they showed bits and pieces of that car chase sequence.

Still irked about going to see the film though.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 10th, 2003, 05:43:25 PM
SPOILERS! AGH! Mask them!

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2003, 05:55:14 PM
Theyll Ruin the car chase by putting all the fancy rubbish in. I'll stick to the classic style, thanks :)

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 10th, 2003, 05:57:20 PM
Argh!!! Reaper buddy, you just wait till you are stunned by how incredible it is going to be!

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2003, 06:02:13 PM
This belongs in the Box Office forum folks.

And as for the Matrix sequels, I'm not the least bit interested myself. There shouldn't be a sequel to that movie. This is simply someone trying to make some big money on what was a cash cow. I doubt its quality will measure up.

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 10th, 2003, 06:02:25 PM
I'm sorry, but that bit about 100 Agent Smiths is in a word, pathetic.

Sanis Prent
Jan 10th, 2003, 06:03:01 PM
This hasn't piqued my interest for the movie in the slightest, unfortunately.

Silus Xilarian
Jan 10th, 2003, 06:13:21 PM
Just picture 100 elronds from LOTR getting the crap kicked outta them.....help?

Figrin D'an
Jan 10th, 2003, 06:14:05 PM
I liked "The Matrix", but I must agree... nothing about these sequels really has me excited thus far. I'll see them, but I'm reallly not expecting much.

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 10th, 2003, 09:06:32 PM
What!? How does it not interest you!? It just can't end with you finding Neo is the One and well... that's it. They are on a mission to free mankind, pretty good reason to make some sequels I'd say. I guarantee you it will soar in Box Office.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2003, 09:18:53 PM
They no longer care about the story, they just care about the payoff. It will suck.

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 10th, 2003, 09:33:45 PM
It woulden't be the same if they're weren't sequels, though. Spending $17 million to make one ten-minute fight scene? I doubt all they care about is the payoff, or they wouldn't have spent that much doing one scene.

Silus Xilarian
Jan 10th, 2003, 09:47:33 PM
thats an awful lot for one fight scene too. There is a such thing as doing too much, whereas, they throw in special effects just because they can, and it comes out crappy.

Not saying thats whats going on here, just stating a possibility.

Btw...for those who care, im neutral to the sequel...I could care less either way, until it comes out that is, then it would probably make for a good "date movie"...mebbe

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jan 10th, 2003, 09:59:23 PM
Don't you make out while Neo beats up people! Thats.... thats... BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:05:37 PM
It just can't end with you finding Neo is the One and well... that's it.

That is precisely how it should be ended. He's cybergod. He can do ev-ry-thing. What else needs to be said?

Darth23
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:09:47 PM
Cyber-god and humanity is still enslaved?

Oh yeah, THAT'S a great ending. ;)

The whole point of the first one was that Morpheus and the other free humans were fighting to free all of humanity, not to simply deify a single indivudual in a make-believe world.

OF COURSE there needs to be sequels. :D

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:32:55 PM
Whats the point? He can annihilate the agents with a snap of his fingers now. The only thing keeping humanity's freedom from happening is window dressing...and that's it. Maybe they'll have a "T-1000 Agent, with CG Liquid Metal" :rolleyes

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:36:21 PM
17 million is a mere drop in the bucket when they have hordes of screaming fanboys hanging on every second until it comes out, waiting for the next big action sequence. As I said, story no longer matters, just dollar signs.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:54:00 PM
I agree with you Orge the sequels don't interest me either heck I didn't think the first one was anything special just another action/sci-fi film, that is just my opinion. As far as the Box office well I think the first one will make over 200 probably around 250, the sequel will make 200-220 neither will make 300 and ROTK will be the #1 movie of the year, unless the Hulk does some huge buisness.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:59:35 PM
I liked the first, but its story was ended. There was no intent or reason for a sequel..until all the big money started rolling in and they started to think they could do it again and make even more. I doubt they'll suceed, but their marketting plan appears to be working on who thet are aiming it at. The ones dazzled by the action sequences and not compelled by a deep story with a begining, development, climax, and ending, which the first contained all of, end of story.

Dragging it on is just desperation to cash in on a name (The Matrix) and an actor who usually acts no better than a cardboard cutout would.

EDIT: The story is what made the first one good, not the acting. This time around the story is no longer fresh and interesting and you can't count on compelling acting. What does that leave? Nadda.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 10th, 2003, 11:03:48 PM
Your right there, I think the first movie was enough it doesn't seem like it needs sequels.

Taylor Millard
Jan 10th, 2003, 11:28:22 PM
Kindo, if you like car chases go see Ronin.

Me personally I liked that car chase.

As for the Matrix sequals...I might see 'em. But I thought Matrix ended just fine and if they'd left it at that, then it woulda been fine.

The fact the Wasorski (or however you spell it) Bros. are doing it, make the sequel blow a bit lessened.

But these might just be DVD movies for me.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 11th, 2003, 12:07:37 AM
Okay, nothing is going to ever beat the car chase in Ronin, ever. And from what I've seen/heard, the Matrix car chase scene isn't even as good as the chase scene in The Transporter, which was admittedly good.

But, Ronin is the best, bar none.

And, I agree with not being too enthused with the Matrix sequels. I'll be waiting for video.

ReaperFett
Jan 11th, 2003, 12:12:50 AM
French Conenction, Italian Job and the Bourne Identity had great ones :)

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 11th, 2003, 12:38:43 AM
I thought the first movie blew hard and know the sequels definitely will. I never liked the Matrix movie because... 1. it was just a typical action movie and 2. it's concepts are very old... read William Gibson and Dan Simmon's Hyperion to see what I mean. But many people have not read cyberpunk and were likely taken in on those concepts if not by the F/X itself. But all I could think of while watching this movie was, 'what a hack piece of work this is'.

JonathanLB
Jan 11th, 2003, 02:50:41 AM
Well I will be fair about this, I haven't seen Ronin in some time, so I SHOULD re-evaluate it, but what the heck do you think is so great about that car chase? It's good. As in 3 out of 4 good.

The French Connection is BAR NONE the greatest car chase in film history and I'm 100% positive that basically every critic around and every film buff would agree with that statement. It's made all the more incredible when you know the facts behind it, i.e. that it was not in fact staged, but real, and that people in the shots were not aware of a film being, well, filmed. Not to mention it was TOTALLY illegal! No other car chase compares to that. It is simply incredible. Plus, Ronin isn't that good of a movie either; The French Connection is (AFI Top 100).

The car chase in The Transporter is far better than Ronin's, possibly the 2nd best I have ever seen, but I'm sure I've not seen enough to make a final judgment. Nonetheless, The French Connection's car chase will never be defeated, IMO, not for pure insanity anyway. It could be bested by some special effects, "gee-wiz" type of Matrix car chase I suppose, but not in the traditional sense I am talking about at least. I'm more impressed with the real, physical car chases personally...

With regard to The Matrix sequels, even though I feel the people involved are total fools for having the idiocy to say the prequels are about effects only and not story (LOOK who is talking -- the kings of effects and "coolness" in a story lifted 50% FROM the Star Wars movies and 50% from Japanese anime, Dark City, and a few other unimportant sources), I still am looking forward to the next two. I hope they are going to be great. They really have potential, but we'll see. I agree with what Darth23 said. To him you listen. :)

Taylor Millard
Jan 11th, 2003, 04:30:22 AM
All right I haven't seen either French Connection or Trainspotting, but I liked how it (Ronin) was done, and the cast.

It's been the first movie in ages I've agreed with Siskel and Ebert with the 2 thumbs up rating.

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 11th, 2003, 04:47:38 AM
I find this movie's potential highly unlikely but will just recycle and rehash the first movie with some new eyecandy to please action fans. There is nothing brilliant at all about the first movie especially if you have read the aforementioned authors in my last post. The movie more or less just glossed over material taken from various sounces. Someone else's infinitely more multi-layered and complex brilliant work gave this movie a basic structure and premise from which to create an adaptation via synthesis.

JonathanLB
Jan 11th, 2003, 05:08:21 AM
Perhaps... but I still loved The Matrix.

I think no movies are truly "original" in every sense. People say that Citizen Kane had all of these "new" techniques. Well... hmm, ok this is a tough debate because one part of me wants to say, "Heck yes!" Another part says, "Well, actually the fact is, it was the COMBINATION of these various techniques in one movie that made Citizen Kane unique, not the fact that they had not been used in movies before, because they had." From what I hear and understand, it's not that Citizen Kane was totally unique, it's that it combined so MANY rarely seen elements that it was unique. The individual parts had been done before, but never together. That's my take on it anyway.

The Matrix is sort of like that, which is why I raise the issue. It's not original, but the way in which it was done, IMO, is remarkable.

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 11th, 2003, 05:20:07 AM
I understand where you are coming from, Jon! ;)

The Matrix, cinematically, brought some new stuff but William Gibson has been writing about cyberbased AIs and Matrix-like concepts for many years now. Not to mention Neal Stephenson, Bruce Sterling, Ian M. Banks, PKD, Eric S. Nylund, Dan Simmon's Hyperion, Tad William's Outland, etc., etc. have also explored similar ground.

Dutchy
Jan 11th, 2003, 06:04:49 AM
Bullit has the greatest car chase scene, IMO.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 11th, 2003, 06:51:05 AM
NO NO NO.

You have it wrong. The Italian Job is the best BAR NONE. If you have not seen the chase in the Italian Job, then you have missed the best. This is my semi professional racing opinon, with an eye on difficulty, real driving and stunts. Bullitt however is up there as well. Ronim is very good, but nothing, nothing holds a candle to The Italian Job.