PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!! (comp Techies)

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:03:35 PM
I killed my computer! >_< Okay, I was trying to put a shell for windows. This shell is the sort that replaces your Explorer bar to make it look cooler. I followed the instructions and I had to replace something in the SYSTEM.INI file where it says: [shell=Explorer.exe] Well I followed the instructions and such but I must've done something wrong because when I restarted my computer, the only thing that popped out was my background. No Explorer bar, no nothing. All I see is the background. I can't right click, I can't do anything. No icons, nothing.

Please tell me there's a way to fix this :mecry I'm an idiot I know. I'm here in the library, typing this because i cant do anything on my comp. :(

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:34:27 PM
What OS?

Win 98 XP ME

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:36:12 PM
Win 98

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:38:28 PM
Ewwwwwww

What does pressing CTRL and ESC at the same time do?

Hopefully it starts the task manager.

If it does look through the drop down menus for the run program option and type in explore.exe, then restore your ini file appropriately.

If CTRL ESC does nothing try your Windows key and R at the same time.

Moltar
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:39:51 PM
Shell: What allows Windows to have a taskbar, Start Button, and do everything you want it to with out using DOS..

Basicaly you didn't kill it, you either need to

1)Restore your backups, if you have them.....

2) Depending on what OS you have...

WIN9x/ME: See if you can get into DOS, clear the Attributes of Shell.INI and edit it via the EDIT command back to Explorer.exe
Commands used:

ATTRIB

EDIT

WINNT/2000/XP: If you have Dos, use above method. Or you'll have to Install the Recovery Console from the OS CD. This should give you "DOS like Commands"

Remember there is a HELP command for both DOS and the RC if you need commands and a /? for how their used.

or..

3) Format your system.... and if your using Win 98 or Win NT 4.0 you might want to upgrade your Operating System (OS) due to Microsoft cutting off support on June 30, 2003.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:41:53 PM
I think I tried CTRL+ESC... I'm not sure, I'll try again (once I get home). I didn't try the Windows key+R.

Ewwwwwww
Yeah.. -_-;

WIN9x/ME: See if you can get into DOS, clear the Attributes of Shell.INI and edit it via the EDIT command back to Explorer.exe
Commands used:

ATTRIB

EDIT

How do you get into DOS?

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:44:13 PM
Windows R will most likely not work since its a part of the Explore shell. Getting into a DOS mode and editing the ini file is probably the best bet, but only if the edit command actually works in DOS, which is unlikley since they dropped that command as standard as of Windows 95

In Win 95 and 98 when the shell is gone, CTRL ESC often opens an old Windows 3.1 version of the task manager and from there you can run the shell command EXPLORE

Moltar
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:47:34 PM
Uh... No they didn't.... At least it should be there if you make a startup disk for Win 98...

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:49:19 PM
I'm screwed, I don't have the startup disk.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:50:48 PM
Most uses don't have a startup disk and standard Win 95/98 DOS mode does not include the EDIT.COM file, its on the install CD in a folder called oldmsdos

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:52:36 PM
In Win 95 and 98 when the shell is gone, CTRL ESC often opens an old Windows 3.1 version of the task manager and from there you can run the shell command EXPLORE

This works on Windows 98 Second Edition?

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:54:01 PM
Not always. Win 98 is not fully predictable. If you had NT or XP there wouldn't be any problem getting to the task manager.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:57:46 PM
I'll try when I get home... I hope something works.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:59:08 PM
When booted; ALT F4 may get you to a restart prompt that will allow you to select startup in DOS mode. But again, thats just a maybe, a shell free Win 98 is a pretty useless and unpredicatible one.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jan 10th, 2003, 02:22:59 PM
:crack :crack :crack Windows+R worked!!!!!!! If I were rich, I'd pay you guys for helping me. And I'll try to upgrade my OS... once I get the cash :lol

Thanks a lot, both of you! I really appreciate it. You don't know how crazy I'm jumping because it worked. :lol