PDA

View Full Version : Browser War is back on.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 8th, 2003, 06:15:45 AM
a) Apple have released their own browser based on KHTML which is getting good reviews.

b) Mozilla is a good deal better than IE.

c) Phoenix, the cut down of Mozzy, is even better. Lightning fast, with all the much loved Mozilla features - Account management, pop up blocking, ad blocking, script blocking / management ...and as said absolutly lightning fast and easy install. And no IE securiy holes either.

Get. Use. Now. Either Mozzy or Phoenix.

Mozzy - http://www.mozilla.org

Phoenix - http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/phoenix-release-notes.html

The Account management is sweet enough by itself and reason enough.

(From a Mozilla user whos noseying into Phoenix and liking what he sees. A lot.)

Oriadin
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:10:37 AM
Havent heard of Pheonix before. Im using IE at home at the moment and it does its job I guess. If this Pheonix can stop pop up though its gotta be worth taking a look see.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:15:01 AM
If this Pheonix can stop pop up though its gotta be worth taking a look see.

Pop ups blocked by default. You can define what websites are allowed to create popups - I have set SW-Fans and Meras.org to allow pop-ups., so I can get PM's in a new tab or window. I stop all others.

Oriadin
Jan 8th, 2003, 08:00:34 AM
Thats got to be worth using in itself then. I hate pop ups, drives me mad. Especially when you close a pop up and another three spring up. Grrrr.

Admiral Lebron
Jan 8th, 2003, 08:09:47 AM
I like IE. :(

ReaperFett
Jan 8th, 2003, 09:02:03 AM
Bare in mind Oriadin, as you have to set ones that can popup, it means a lot of websites would be useless to you without adding them first.

IE works fine and dandy, so wont change it. Well, my comp screws with it a lot, but IE itself is all good. I need a better system AROUND IE :)

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 8th, 2003, 09:21:35 AM
The more browsers I have, the better. Gives me plenty of options. That, and I can be logged into this place with almost every name I have at once :D!

Oriadin
Jan 8th, 2003, 09:23:21 AM
Worth baring in mind. Thanks Fett. None of the websites I visit frequently have any pop ups but first time to a website you may wonder whats wrong I suppose.

Oriadin
Jan 8th, 2003, 09:25:51 AM
Originally posted by Diego Van Derveld
The more browsers I have, the better. Gives me plenty of options. That, and I can be logged into this place with almost every name I have at once :D!

I didnt realise there were that many browsers available. Or programmers to make them!! ;) :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 8th, 2003, 04:05:14 PM
I can think of about 8 off the top of my head. Best one around right now, certainly in use and confg ability is Mozzy 1.3 beta has a bug or two, but not too bad. Plus, Mozzy's e-mail bit dont suffer the outrageous security and virus issues of Outlook or Outlook Express.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 8th, 2003, 04:15:52 PM
Your welcome. ^_^

Shawn and my buddy Sergio were like "Chris has lost his mind. He's raving about Phoenix..."

You're damn right I am. Thing is swveeet.

Anyway, as for browsers, you have, on Windows:

IE
Mozilla
Phoenix
Netscape 7
Galleon (K-alleon?)
Opera

Linux has Netscape 7, Moz, Phoenix, Konquer, Galleon(?) and a few others.

Phoenix is deffinately my personal preference.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 8th, 2003, 04:29:37 PM
Imagien when Phoenix reachs a 1.0 release. They want to make it lighter and faster, which will be impressive when Phoenix is only a 6.7 meg download and 11.6 installed. Only thing missing that Mozzy has is really nice account management.

Oh and making your own skins is soooo dead easy. Learned how to do it in a few minutes :D

Andraq Novkar
Jan 8th, 2003, 07:16:43 PM
I get this message when I try to run Phoenix...

A required .DLL file, XPCOM.DLL, was not found.

And it won't run.

Figrin D'an
Jan 9th, 2003, 02:10:33 AM
Been using Mozilla for while now. Like it a lot. IE still has it's uses, and it isn't too bad to use. Opera is okay. Haven't tried Phoenix yet.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:28:28 AM
Phoenix is Moz on crack, and its great if you want to use a web browser instead of a suite, so you keep both around.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:32:35 AM
Mozzy for email and other stuff, Phoenix for browsing. Yeah

Zasz Grimm
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:38:08 AM
Ok, guess no one can help me out there.

:(

Morgan Evanar
Jan 9th, 2003, 04:15:07 PM
Considering what little freedoms you have on that PC, no. Its probably a 4 year old install of 98, and that I refuse to tech unless you're paying me money.

Oriadin
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:03:58 PM
Downloaded Phoenix and Im using it now. I have to say its pretty impressive. The only thing I dont like (or havent worked out if there is an option for this or not) is that when I press and hold down the middle mouse button I cant scroll up and down the screen.

This may have something to do with the feature where you can press the middle button on a link and it opens a new tab. I love this idea. Saves on the screen clutter!

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:20:15 PM
Oraidin, there's a plugin that will allow Phoenix to do that which you describe. Go back to the Phoenix download page and check out the plugins.

Oriadin
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:26:38 PM
Cheers. Found it. Im very impressed.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 9th, 2003, 07:32:08 PM
:D

Not that I use that type of scrolling myself. Still, pretty cool they give you the choice to use/install things like that or not bother.

Oriadin
Jan 10th, 2003, 03:59:44 AM
Yeah, and not likely to take up much room, what with a 3k download, lol.