PDA

View Full Version : Legally Blond 2? C'mon, please....

JMK
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:29:48 PM
The first one *may* have been mildly entertaining, or "cute", but what the hell is this all about? We know Reese went from being a ditsy blond to a lawyer, so what's she going to prove to us this time? That she can go from being a lawyer to Right tackle on the Cleveland Browns offensive line? This sequel crap is getting ridiculous.....

Dae Jinn
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:33:10 PM
Maybe she's taking on the OJ case? :rolleyes

Sanis Prent
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:35:34 PM
I agree. I could "tolerate" the first. A sequel...yarg!

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:41:00 PM
Cleavland Browns! They could call it Legally Brown! By day she's a laywer, by night she is Quarterback! :D

JMK
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:57:01 PM
Sometimes Hollywood can be so refreshing and terrific, but its times like this when something SO lame comes around, it's like a kick in the mouth with a steel-toe boot.

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2003, 11:10:08 PM
I see it this way. What is the difference between a sequel and making another film where the same person plays the same kind of character, with the same writing team. People obviously like it, as they did well enough to garner a sequel.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 7th, 2003, 11:12:20 PM
I wipoe my butt on the concept. Egh, the first was awful

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2003, 11:13:06 PM
So my idea for Legally Brown has a double meaning for marcus. Even better! :)

JonathanLB
Jan 8th, 2003, 01:28:42 AM
No, the first was not awful, the first was excellent for a chick flick and very good for any movie. Definitely a 3.5 star film. I even bought it on DVD. It was funny, worthwhile, Reese is great in it, very likeable (and lickable, hahaha, j/k), and I laughed my way through most of the movie. So what, it's a chick flick, there are SOME good ones -- this is one of them. Clueless is probably the all-time best pure chick flick, four stars, but Legally Blonde is among the best of its kind I think.

I personally can't wait for the sequel, hehe. I really like Reese Witherspoon and if it's funny, then why not?

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 8th, 2003, 01:45:41 AM
Ever heard of "A Bridge too Far"?

This could quite literally be called "A Movie too Far".

Sometimes you hold, and don't deal on top of a winning hand.

JonathanLB
Jan 8th, 2003, 01:58:08 AM
Could be. I'm still hoping it is good though.

And yes, I reviewed A Bridge too Far earlier last year, great film I thought.

Darth Viscera
Jan 8th, 2003, 04:56:03 AM
I love that movie! My favorite part is at the end, when you get to see zee Germans riding in a Willy's jeep as a staff car instead of a kubelwagon. Now I've seen everything!

Admiral Lebron
Jan 8th, 2003, 08:07:25 AM
I couldn't get through her admission to harvard...and thats because my sister turned it off.

Darth23
Jan 8th, 2003, 11:39:12 PM
I liked the movie - it was cute and reasonable funny - even thought they did kind of a My Cousin Vinny thing at the end.

I could see them making 2 more before it's all done. After all she wasn't even a lawyer yet att he end of the first one.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 8th, 2003, 11:42:15 PM
It sounds like Anaylse That which didn't work sure people liked the first one of that movie and nobody turned out for the Sequel I have a feeling the same could happen for this sequel. And what is next a sequel to Sweet Home Alabama.

JonathanLB
Jan 9th, 2003, 03:50:34 AM
That is THEIR problem. Did you see Analyze That? It was even funnier than the first film. The people who chose not to see it based on idiotic critical comments really missed out. It was a very good comedy, one of the best of the year. Even my parents really liked it and my dad is incredibly hard to make laugh. I swear he never laughs at anything, but he still really enjoyed it.

It's true that Analyze That doesn't have quite the plot of the original, but who cares?!?!? What comedy film needs a good PLOT? Comedy is not about plot and NEVER has been about plot. From the days of Chaplin and Keaton, comedy is about SKITS and gags, and jokes, not about great plots. Of course you can make a great comedy that has a great plot, something like Groundhog Day or Mrs. Doubtfire, but you can also make an incredibly funny movie with a fairly ordinary plot like Road Trip or you can make a really stupid plot that is totally ridiculous, like Blazing Saddles, and manage to come up with one of the funniest movies ever made.

Did Jackass have a plot? No. Did people go anyway? Yes. Did they laugh? A lot! Did critics like it? Overall, somehow, yes!

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 9th, 2003, 06:42:44 AM
When was a comedy sequel better than the original, I might ask? I cant think of one

JMK
Jan 9th, 2003, 08:08:55 AM
I think alot of people enjoyed Austin Powers 2 over the original. Better you say? I don't know, off the top of my head I can't think of one, but surely there's got to be one somewhere! :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 9th, 2003, 09:01:58 AM
I don't think people listed to critics, I think nobody was interested in seeing the sequel, plus the trailers were very unfunny and that could have been the problem.

ReaperFett
Jan 9th, 2003, 10:30:29 AM
Army of Darkness Marcus :)

Admiral Lebron
Jan 9th, 2003, 02:03:12 PM
I enjoyed Goldmember more than the Spy who Shagged me.

JonathanLB
Jan 9th, 2003, 06:27:37 PM
You have a point, Carr, the trailers were not that good. I think I was very interested because the first film was great comedy, but the trailer was, eh, just decent. The movie was so much better, but don't you think that's a bit of a problem that people base their entire opinions on a trailer like that? I mean, I'm not saying it's BAD, but what if they had given away all of the best lines in the trailer? To me, that's disturbing -- I've seen it done before, many times. I was pleasantly surprised with Analyze That because the best lines were NOT in the trailer.

"When was a comedy sequel better than the original, I might ask? I cant think of one"

There are a number, IMO, but you have a point too. I don't think most comedy sequels are worth anything. There are way too many examples of bad sequels in comedy.

I personally like both Beverly Hills Cop II and III better than the original. They have newer feels, the 3rd film has better music including an updated Axel F theme, then in general I thought it was funnier. I understand that is the minority opinion, but I am not sure why. I don't see WHAT audiences thought was so much better about the first film. The second two are excellent. That's a rare example, for me, of a trilogy where I award all three films four stars -- among my favorite comedies. Even in the Die Hard trilogy, an incredible DVD set which I own, I only give the first four stars. It's one of the greatest action films ever made, makes most critical lists for best thrillers (AFI, for instance), but the second two each get 3.5. Very good action, not great. Worth owning, yes, worth watching several/many times, sure, but not worth calling great.

I like Austin Powers 2 better than 1, I like Austin Powers 3 better than 2 (only slightly). The first one sucked, IMO, and the next two were funny. They are majorly different films, notably because the second was more American humor, the first was more British humor, or if you want, "American British humor," hehe.

Oh actually I really like The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear. As I recall, the third is very good too, but they are not better than the original. The original is, well, original and the best.

I cannot even recall off the top of my head that many other comedy sequels.

Actually wait, yes, I do like American Pie 2 more than I like American Pie. Only slightly, but I love American Pie 2. One of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

Admiral Lebron
Jan 9th, 2003, 09:17:11 PM
Die Hard Two sucked plot wise.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:13:55 AM
Yeah but people don't have the money to shell out to see too many films. I know I don't I see about 10-15 a year in theaters and I rent I don't know maybe 30-40 a year on DVD/video, most people are like me and the trailers are the main way to tell if the movie is worth it (their are exceptions I have seen movies with bad trailers in theaters but not too often) I will probably rent the movie but I won't expect much.

JonathanLB
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:40:19 AM
I know, you can't see it all. That's why critics exist, THEORETICALLY! :) In practice, critics are always wrong so they don't do much good ;) lol, just kidding.

I think most movie buffs see probably 30 to 50 movies per year in theaters, though. I used to watch 15 and 20 but that was before I had a car, that was before I was a big movie buff, and before I knew much about films in general really. I didn't have a very broad film taste so I didn't need to see more than 15 or 20 and didn't really want to do so either.

The minimum number of movies I can ever imagine myself seeing in a year is probably 50 because there are just that many "good" movies that open a year.

Buzz Lightyear
Jan 10th, 2003, 02:19:32 AM
I have thoguht of a comedy that is better than the original - Toy Story 2! How could I have forgotten?!?!

JonathanLB
Jan 10th, 2003, 05:57:35 AM
TS2 rocks. I love both of those films.

JMK
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:41:05 AM
Beverly Hills Cop! Ha! I love those movies! You could turn on any one of the 3 and I wouldn't have a problem, but of course, the crappy blue chevy nova is only in part 1 (i think). But then again, the cameo by the flanneled on is in part 3. :D

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2003, 11:11:53 AM
All the Beverly Hills Cops are good :)

I feel parody films like Hot Shots and Naked Gun are always as good as oneanother, as the style of jokes just continue :)

JMK
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:00:32 PM
IMO you can toss American Pie & American Pie 2 in there, the same type of crude gross out jokes, just taken a step further. :\

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:09:47 PM
I didnt find the first one funny :)

JMK
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:18:52 PM
Sorry, I should have called it Stiffler Pie 1. He was hysterical.

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2003, 03:57:27 PM
He annoys me :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 10th, 2003, 04:30:29 PM
I hated American Pie, I absolutly refuse to see 2

JonathanLB
Jan 10th, 2003, 05:45:35 PM
American Pie was great. I refused to see it for a while, but when I did, I loved it. Stiffler is great, he's so awesome.

Seann William Scott is one of my favorite comedy actors. I just love that guy. I want him in one of my movies someday, haha.