PDA

View Full Version : Cubs get screwed again

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2003, 04:57:23 PM
They announced the Hall of fame today and Ryne Sandberg didn't make it that is an out ranged he didn't he get 50% of the vote (he got 49 %) those voters are morons. Sandberg is one of the top 10 second baseman he is second amoung home runs and only the great Rogers Hornsby is ahead of them. Sandberg is one person who should have gotten in on first ballot he deserves to be in there.

darth_mcbain
Jan 7th, 2003, 06:07:59 PM
Who made it in above him? The only reason I could see for him not getting in is if some real powerhouses were elected and took the available slots. But he definitely deserves to be in there - he's one of the best second basemen I've seen...

JMK
Jan 7th, 2003, 06:15:31 PM
Gary Carter and Eddie Murray got in today. It's all a matter of politics IMO. It was the 6th time he was on the ballot. It's debatable whether or not he deserves to be in there, but he's lobbied himself enough that he was going to get in eventually. Eddie Murray absolutely deserves to be in there, probably ahead of Sandberg. Ryne will get his shot, heck, he's got the 3rd highest fielding percentage among 2nd baseman of all time. It may be awhile before he gets in though. Eckersley and Moilitor are up next, so that will probably set him back a little a couple years at least.

darth_mcbain
Jan 7th, 2003, 06:29:30 PM
I am disappointed Sandberg didn't get in, but I have to say that Eddie Murray and Gary Carter both belonged in there IMHO. Maybe I'm biased since I was a big Mets fan in the 80s, but Carter was one of the best catchers I ever saw. And noone can contest Murray's induction...

JMK
Jan 7th, 2003, 06:46:16 PM
I might be slightly biased too, seeing the Kid as an Expo for so long. But catchers should be looked at in a different light when compared to other positions. Physically they endure alot more, and they know an awful lot more about the game that anyone else. I think he deserves to be there.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2003, 09:12:26 PM
I may be a little biasied but I felt that Sandberg was better than Murray. I know he will get in but its stupid why can't they elect 3 guys? The problem is people like Rice, Dawson and Murphy are taking up votes and these three will never probably get in. Sandberg will get in 2005 because the only name on the list is people like Albert Belle and Terry Steinbech, I doubt either one of them will get in the hall of fame, heck Belle will never get in, because of his reputation.

JMK
Jan 7th, 2003, 09:38:13 PM
I bet you if you asked Belle if he even wanted in he'd say no. He's a total loser, only ever played the game to earn millions and bail out.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2003, 09:47:17 PM
I know I think he is still making money off the Orioles.

JMK
Jan 7th, 2003, 09:50:34 PM
Yeah, alot of money. I wonder if he really was a corker?

Figrin D'an
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:11:59 PM
Sandberg did deserve to get in... it's shame he didn't on his first ballot, but I have to agree, he will be in next year. He and Bruce Sutter will be shoo-ins. It's just one of those stupid things that baseball writers do... they feel that the moniker of "first-ballot inductee" is meant for only certain players. Personally, I think Sandberg is more than deserving of that honor, but he probably lost a few votes because of his attempted comeback in 97(?). If he wouldn't have done that, he probably would have been a first ballot inductee a few years ago.

JMK
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:18:39 PM
Don't they only induct 2 per year? If so, I really think Molitor and Eckersley will be next year's inductees and Sandberg will have to wait. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Figrin D'an
Jan 7th, 2003, 11:17:18 PM
No, there is no limit on number. A player just has to get 75% of the vote to get in. Each writer votes for, I believe, up to 5 candidates.

But, yeah, I forgot that Molitor and Eckersley were up next year. They'll get in, but maybe Sandberg will get enough votes too.

Figrin D'an
Jan 7th, 2003, 11:23:34 PM
On another note, lets hope the Veterans Committee votes in Ron Santo in February.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:32:40 AM
He will defintely get in 2005 since there is nobody up that is any good but I hope he gets in 2004.

JonathanLB
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:00:45 AM
Eddie Murphy played baseball too?! Wow what a talented guy ;)

Jedieb
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:02:46 PM
Murray was a sure thing, but he didn't get as many votes as some expected. I believe this was Carter's 5th or 6th year. I remember him from his Mets and Expos days. He was a clutch player and bottom line, a winner. Sandberg will get in eventually. I remember he had a great 48 HR year once. Amazing for a 2B. It was just before the balls started flying out of the ball park. Once you're in, you're in. First ballot stuff only really matters at the time of induction. As the years go on it's only a minor footnote.

Jim Rice probably won't make it. Ironically, his yearly averages for HR's and RBI's are higher than Murray's. But he didn't have the longevity that Eddie did. I remember that old Red Sox team. Fred Lynn, Yaz, and for a time Fisk. They had some great great battles with the Yankees. It's a shame Rice probably won't make it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:14:49 PM
Rice had some injury problems that affected his numbers, plus he wasn't a great defensive OF, his only chance I feel might be by the Veterens commitee who could put him in.

JMK
Jan 8th, 2003, 03:09:46 PM
I always liked Jim Rice, sadly though, I think he's just a little too much on the fringe to get in. The more I hear Carter's voice, the more I think he was inducted just to get him to stop his campaigning.