PDA

View Full Version : The Battle for #1 movie

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:56:37 PM
Now I mean WW because I don't see TTT beating Spiderman in the US. Now WW both TTT and HP:COS will do. Harry has already beaten it in International numbers with 521 to date and should finish with somewhere from 830-930 total. TTT will clear 800 and should finish 850-1 billion WW now I still think it could be close Harry is doing unbelievable overseas way better than in the US. The difference could be Japan because that is all that is left for TTT, if it performs in Japan like the first one then well it will fall short of a billion and Harry could win by 10 million if it plays better than it is a different story it will be hard tell because it opens in Japan I think next month. It should be a great battle in my opinion.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 6th, 2003, 11:07:57 PM
Oh it will be - and TTT has two pluses this time around. A better translation and no Monsters Inc. Oh one other - TTT has already overtaken HP:COS in several territores, big ones like the USA. I think however, the UK will be important, will TTT win there? France was another difference area, is it closer this time around?

Certainly TTT got off to a much, much faster start, 559 WW after just three weeks is mind boggling. 100 million in a week, again Intl to me, it's going to be much, much closer, whoever wins will have to claim No one (Spiderman I feel stand no chance against either)

But I think TTT may do it. Hell, 155 million was it's last weeks WW takings, it's goign to need a big drop off to not pass AOTC next week.

Okay, a few numbers as I can find them -

As of NEXT week FOTR was January 11-13, 2002, 286 Million. HP1 was 539 million.

512 so far for HP, 298 for TTT

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 6th, 2003, 11:14:12 PM
The only thing about Japan is bootlegs that could impact it which is why movies are getting released there earlier. Now it might not so it will be interesting to see. I think right now TTT will beat it out by probably 20-30 million here are my guesses
TTT 915
HP 2 890

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 6th, 2003, 11:28:57 PM
Total HP : COS is 764 WW

total TTT : 559

HP is pretty much done in the USA, while TTT is not. At least 50 - 80 million more there left, maybe more. 80 million I think. 100 million Japan is likely. Another 200 million for everywhere else? gives 939 WW. I think 850 for COS. Is 1 billion possible for TTT? Umm..... You wouldnt think so. But then again, TTT should beat th totals of what FOTR in all territores (you would think that's possible), so who knows. It's not out of the range of possibilities, tho you think TTT needs to topple Spiderman in the USA and that isnt goign to happen. Wish it would..... :/

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 7th, 2003, 05:16:19 AM
I went to see TTT for the third time on Sunday evening and the theatre was packed. A good sign. :)

JonathanLB
Jan 7th, 2003, 05:30:31 AM
I think Pinocchio is going to be the #1 movie of the year ;)

I wrote my review of that film after watching it in an ENTIRELY empty theater.

I gave it no stars -- my 11th of the year.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from my review, LOL, wow I had way too much fun with this one:

"If there is a hell, everyone who made Pinocchio will be nice and warm for all of eternity so that they can suffer as audiences have suffered."

"The English language has an insufficient number of negative adjectives to describe Pinocchio. Maybe Italian is a more versatile language for condemning it."

"The only real fairy in Pinocchio is Benigni, not the Blue Fairy."

"Who is this clown and what did he do to the real Robert Benigni?"

"Pinocchio will spend about as long in theaters as Mother Theresa will spend in jail."

Ah it's all so good, hard to choose my favorite lines. ;)

Darth Viscera
Jan 7th, 2003, 07:29:48 AM
Robert Benigni? Sounds like a terrific movie! When does it come out on DVD?

JonathanLB
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:42:01 AM
Ok, if you think it's a terrific movie, please see RottenTomatoes.com -- 39 bad reviews, ZERO good ones.

Darth Viscera
Jan 7th, 2003, 11:12:08 AM
TOO LATE! Your critique has convinced me that I must see this movie.

ReaperFett
Jan 7th, 2003, 11:16:37 AM
Saw TTT for the second time at an 11.45AM showing, and was reasonably full. I should have left after they showed the Daredevil trailer ;)

JonathanLB
Jan 7th, 2003, 05:48:17 PM
Suit yourself, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 7th, 2003, 05:50:56 PM
That movie does look horrible I don't think I would go see it if somebody paid me.

Darth Viscera
Jan 7th, 2003, 05:58:04 PM
Sounds like a wager to me!

JonathanLB
Jan 7th, 2003, 06:05:51 PM
Carr, I paid $6 and wasted 3 hours of my life seeing it (theater is 30 minutes away where it was playing, plus the film is 108 minutes, I got there 10-15 minutes early, so about 3 hours). lol, god those are the days where I think, "You know, someone should THANK ME for being a film critic, damnit!" ;)