Saturday, Jan 11th, 4:30 pm EST

Pittsburgh Steelers at Tennessee Titans

Saturday, Jan 11th, 8:00 pm EST

Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles

Sunday, Jan 12th, 1:00 pm EST

San Francisco 49ers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Sunday, Jan 12th, 4:30 pm EST

New York Jets at Oakland Raiders

All picks must be in by Saturday at 4:30 pm EST.

Admiral Lebron
Jan 5th, 2003, 08:57:13 PM
I hope the Steelers get killed. I hate that team!!!!!

JonathanLB
Jan 5th, 2003, 09:17:32 PM
Ok...

I like the Raiders more, but just to be risky/stupid, haha:

Jets, 49ers, Titans, and Eagles.

Taylor Millard
Jan 5th, 2003, 10:09:51 PM
Steelers

Bucs

Falcons

Jets

JMK
Jan 5th, 2003, 10:24:21 PM
Titans
Eagles
Bucs
Raiders

JonathanLB
Jan 6th, 2003, 04:05:50 AM
Hey, if the Niners beat the Buccs and the Falcons beat the Eagles, wouldn't that mean that the NFC Championship game would be in San Francisco? Man that'd be so cool.

jjwr
Jan 6th, 2003, 09:20:46 AM
I gotta agree with JMK, gonna be a home sweep this year

Titans
Eagles
Bucs
Raiders

All four of those teams played very good all year and were the best two teams in their conference, a week to rest and prepare and I think you'll get 4 good games(maybe a few blowouts) but the home teams will take care of business.

The one upset I would pick would be the Falcons over the Eagles due to a rusty McNabb.

Jedieb
Jan 6th, 2003, 01:59:27 PM
Titans
Eagles
Bucs
Jets

I don't really want to pick against the Raiders. Lots of vets on that team that I like. But I think the Jets are just too hot right now. Oakland is rested and they have HF so the Jets are going to have their work cut out for them.

sirdizzy
Jan 6th, 2003, 03:46:02 PM
Tennessee Titans
Philadelphia Eagles
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

and my upset special of the week
New York Jets

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 6th, 2003, 04:15:10 PM
Titans
Eagles
49ers
Raiders

JonathanLB
Jan 6th, 2003, 07:18:49 PM
LD is loyal too, I like that :)

The Niners got a chance, they definitely have a chance. It'll be tough, but we'll see.

CMJ
Jan 6th, 2003, 08:17:13 PM
Saturday, Jan 11th

Pittsburgh Steelers at (W)Tennessee Titans
(W)Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles

Sunday, Jan 12th

San Francisco 49ers at (W)Tampa Bay Buccaneers
(W)New York Jets at Oakland Raiders

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 7th, 2003, 01:19:53 AM
Titans

Eagles

49ers

Raiders

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 7th, 2003, 12:59:59 PM
Titans, Eagles, Bucs, Jets

Jedieb
Jan 7th, 2003, 02:10:15 PM
Two people have picked a Falcons upset. What do they know that we don't....o_O

JonathanLB
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:09:21 AM
They know how to pick incorrectly; we don't ;)

j/k, well McNabb, he is not going to be fresh, IMO, and the Falcons are coming off a game that really boosted their confidence and is going to make them a tough team to play, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a game much closer than some people think it will be. We'll see, though, maybe I'm wrong and the Eagles will destroy them. I still do not see any way for the Falcons to win actually.

Figrin D'an
Jan 8th, 2003, 03:07:55 AM
Philly just needs to play like they did without McNabb. If they do that, they'll be fine. McNabb has had two weeks of practice with the first team offense... he maybe a little rusty, but he's not going to be horribly off. If the Eagles D plays like they have for most of the second half of the season, they'll be just fine. Atlanta is a good team, but consecutive road upsets is tough for anyone to pull off.

Jedieb
Jan 8th, 2003, 11:53:52 AM
The strength of Philly's team is their defense, and that's had 2 weeks to rest. Beating the Pack at Lambeau was a historic win, but hte Pack were injury ridden and struggling the last month of the season. Still, look at what happened to Pittsburgh last year against NE. They were favorites at home against a NE team that had just come off a big win against Oakland. The Steelers decided to start a rusty Jerome Bettis and it totally threw their offense out of synch. Throw in a big special teams play, a QB that was ill suited for a comeback, and NE is off to the Superbowl. A lot of things have to fall into place for an Atlanta win, but anything is possible this season.

I think Philly's defense is going to be fast enough to keep Vick in check for the most part. I'm going to be watching McNabb to see just how much rust he's got on him.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:28:50 PM
Tell me if I am correct there has never been a 6th seed win two games in the playoffs right? Of course there is always a first time. Of course I am not brave enough to pick it here are my picks
Titans
Eagles
Bucs
Jets

sirdizzy
Jan 9th, 2003, 01:35:10 PM
no you are wrong carr the 1985 New England Patriots were the #6 seed and they made it to the superbowl where they were promptly ripped limb from limb by the Chicago Bears

Jedieb
Jan 9th, 2003, 01:38:01 PM
The jets at Oakland pick is driving me crazy. Yeah, the Jets are hot. They've won 7 of their last 9 and their last two wins were against playoff teams and they were dominant performances. But I keep forgetting that Oakland has been just as hot. They've won 7 of their last 8 with the one loss coming against the Dolphins. I may end up switching to Oakland before the game starts. I just don't know....

Tell me if I am correct there has never been a 6th seed win two games in the playoffs right?

If I remember right, years ago there were only 4 playoff teams from each conference. 3 division winners and 1 Wild Card. Under that system I believe the Raiders were the first WC team to win the Superbowl. Since then there's been 1, maybe 2 Superbowl winners who came from the WC spot. I really have no idea. But I doubt any WC team ever won or made it to the Superbowl from the #6 slot, #4 or #5 maybe, but not the #6.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 9th, 2003, 02:49:11 PM
NE was a 5th, the first 6th I think was added in the late 80', and I think no 6th seed has made it past the Division round, but I could be wrong might have to look it up to find out.

Figrin D'an
Jan 9th, 2003, 05:24:16 PM
Saturday, Jan 11th, 4:30 pm EST

Pittsburgh Steelers at Tennessee Titans (W)

Saturday, Jan 11th, 8:00 pm EST

Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles (W)

Sunday, Jan 12th, 1:00 pm EST

San Francisco 49ers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (W)

Sunday, Jan 12th, 4:30 pm EST

New York Jets (W) at Oakland Raiders

JonathanLB
Jan 9th, 2003, 06:39:00 PM
I agree with EB, that Oakland vs. Jets pick really bugs me, I just don't know.

JMK
Jan 9th, 2003, 11:01:49 PM
Like I said, who does know? I mean the Falcons trounced Green Bay for cryin out loud! You just don't know, there's not fool proof way to analyze these games. Especially with the Jets/Raiders. It's literally a guessing game at this point and hoping for the best.

Jedieb
Jan 10th, 2003, 07:35:49 AM
The tougher the pick hopefully means the closer the game, so that's the upside. :)

CMJ
Jan 10th, 2003, 08:47:35 AM
In theory...watch that game be a blow out. ;)

Jedieb
Jan 10th, 2003, 09:45:41 AM
2 blowouts last weekend, then 2 great comebacks. If we anywhere near the same results this weekend I'd be happy. The Falcons/Eagles games has the biggest potential for a blowout on paper, but then again on paper the Falcons should be playing golf right now.

Jedieb
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:51:16 AM
I was reading John Clayton's column at ESPN and I got an answer to our earlier playoff question. A #6 beat a #1 seed back in 1990. Here's some stats on the Bucs and Niners;

Quarterbacks have only 48.8 ratings against the Bucs. They've thrown only 10 touchdown passes compared to 31 interceptions.
The teams that beat the Bucs beat them by playing good defense, running the ball, and wearing the defense down with physical play. That's why they match up so poorly against the Eagles and I'm hoping for a Falcons upset. The game doesn't get settled by stats, but the Bucs should feel good about their chances going into the game. The guy that worries me is Owens. In past years the Bucs have shown a tendency to go for the "big hit" on defense. You can't do that with Owens. Guys like Lynch are tremndous hitters, but he's got to be preoccupied with making the TACKLE. He may get Owens down the first time, but eventually Owens will bounce off one of those hits and break off a long gain. The Niners can run the ball effectively, but their line isn't that big and overpowering. Because the Bucs don't have an explosive offense the game should be in doubt going into the 4th quarter. If they can get some kind of running game out of Alstott late in the game they could run out the clock on SF.

JMK
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:36:57 PM
The Niners really aren't big enough to run against the Bucs IMO, infact I think Garcia won't be as lucky this week as he was last, he will be running for his life. He does run awfully well though. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:34:04 PM
Who was the 1 and 6 seed Jedieb? And 1990 that would have had to been one of the first years there was a 6th seed, it had to be in the AFC as 90 S.F was the #1 seed like 3 straight years from 88-90, but it couldn't been the year they got to the Super Bowl because Denver was a #1 seed that year so the year after the Bills made it to the SB from the AFC but I can't recall what seed they were.

CMJ
Jan 10th, 2003, 03:17:45 PM
Buffalo was the #1 seed and San Francisco was the #1 in '90(actually '91 but it was for the '90 season). The guy is wrong. The Bills made the Superbowl and the Niners lost in the NFC title game to the Giants.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 10th, 2003, 08:27:27 PM
Titan
Falcon
49ers
Jets

ReaperFett
Jan 10th, 2003, 08:34:11 PM
Tennessee
Philadelphia
San Francisco
New York

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:26:20 PM
Thanks CMJ, I should have remember you know your sports trivia :) I wonder if he had the year wrong or was just thinking of something, I might go look up the playoff history on NFL.com, but I am thinking he just messed up.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:48:26 PM
I think Clayton is smoking something becuase no 6th seed has ever advanced to the Championship game, I looked it up since they add it (1990 season) no 6th seed has made it so he is wrong, maybe somebody should email him.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2003, 05:25:35 PM
How was that hit by the Steeler player on George wasn't called an illegal hit? I thought for certain that helmet to helmet hits were outlawed by the league, a hit like that could kill sombody.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2003, 06:41:07 PM
Man these refs are idiots first they don't call that hit george then they call once against Tenn and the guy barely hit the helmet that was a horrible call.

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2003, 07:28:06 PM
I've missed a lot of the game because I've been busy. The hit on George didn't look like it deserved a penalty to me because the defender didn't launch himself into George. They just kind of fell into each other. Great game!

I wonder if nedney is going to get an Oscar nod for his performance on that missed FG? ;) It was still a good call, but I LOL when I saw Nedney spin and hit the ground.

Taylor Millard
Jan 11th, 2003, 07:46:07 PM
You and me both.

I'm almost tempted to switch over to ESPNEWS and see how much *bleeping* they have to do to Bill Cowher's press conference. If he holds one.

And now it's 7-0 Philly...*sigh*

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:13:29 PM
Well even so they shouldn't have called that second pentality against Tenn that was a really bad call the guy didn't even hit his helmet. Luckily Mcnair pulled it out he played brilliantly at the end of the game and in the OT. Atlanta well they seem like they were totally lost in that 1st quarter if they don't play any better its going to be a blow out real quick.

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:16:37 PM
That was a bad call against Tenn. You could see it was a shoulder to helmet hit. Tenn. made that game closer than it had to be because of their turnovers. Good game and I'm glad to see Tenn. advance. But they're going to have to tighten things up or they'll lose next weekend. That kind of play would cost them against the Raiders or the Jets.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:20:19 PM
I think they can cut down on the turnovers, it does show how good they are if they can win with so many turnovers of course if they do that in Oakland they would lose.

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2003, 08:30:15 PM
Philly looks awesome so far. Their D-line is just dominating. The Falcons have lost 2 DB's in their secondary. ughh...

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:02:10 PM
What a kick, 13-6 Atlanta is still in this game, which is amazing after the way they played in the first quarter.

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:03:38 PM
A couple of decent drives for FG's and Atlanta got itself back into the game. Their defense is playing well. It would be a 1-point game if it weren't for that pick. Man, those fans in Philly are just BRUTAL!

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:13:20 PM
Yeah Atlanta's defense is playing very well they only gave up 6 points of course the Eagles d is playing great too, it should be a good second half, better than what we had last week. Did you see Cowher's newsconference? Talk about sour grapes, he said the kicker slid into his guy, I saw the replay he was just standing there. Also he was blaming the officials when just about every call seemed to go in their favor except for that last one.

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:21:45 PM
I saw that clip. Cowher even said the kicker took a "couple" of steps? WTF? I like Cowher, but he's way off base here. I thought he was ticked off because they tried to call timeout but the refs lets the game winning kick go ahead. They had to call running into the kicker. They could have called roughing and given them half the distance or 15 yards instead of just running and 5 years.

Atlanta starts teh seconnd half with a nice defensive stand. They're moving the ball and survived Philly's early onslaught. Let's see what Vick and Dunn can do here.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:38:30 PM
They survived another one their that was a big sack. Also did you see that call if that was roughing I like to see what running into the kicker is.

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:45:59 PM
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Why did he have to hold?! They wasted that gorgeous run by Vick. Worse, Vick got nailed because he sold himself out to get the TD. Oh, man..... :(

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:48:10 PM
Vick's okay!! Johnson hit a nice completion to set up a manageable 3rd down. AHHH! That 3rd down play was scary. They're setting up for another FG.... it's ..... NO GOOD?! Stupid Feely! :shootin

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2003, 09:51:33 PM
It wasn't Feely's fault. The wretched Vet turf was too much for the holder to handle and the ball kept sliding on him. That stadium's destruction will be a great day in NFL history!

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2003, 10:08:00 PM
Man is the game very defensive, still the Falcons are hanging around like the Giants did in Week 17 this game could go to OT with one TD.

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2003, 10:19:56 PM
That's probably going to be the game. Atlanta hung in there, but it looks like they're going to come up short. The Eagles are struggling though. I think any of the AFC teams left could take them. But they may be too strong at home for Tampa and SF.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2003, 10:35:57 PM
I think they could be beaten at home, the Bucs would have the better shot because it would come down to a very low scoring game and who knows what could happen then. I do think the Titans or Raiders could beat them in the Super Bowl (though I pray the Raiders don't make it there)

JonathanLB
Jan 12th, 2003, 03:35:42 AM
You know I love my Niners and I think they have a great shot at winning tomorrow, but I agree, the Bucs would have a better shot at beating the Eagles than the Niners would, IMO.

I like the NFC teams left, though. I don't really like the Bucs, I'm kind of neutral towards them, but I don't dislike them, and I love my Niners. I like the Eagles too, I'd be happy to see them in the Super Bowl if that's what it comes down to.

Now I don't want to get into the actual call necessarily, because I'm not saying it was bad or wrong, but I'm sorry for a game (Titans vs. Steelers) to end on such a lame penalty when the contact seemed incidental is just SO weak to me. Such a great game, then it ends with that. Again, maybe it was a good call, it probably was, the rules probably say that's what the refs should call, but I still have the right to think it was a sad ending to what was otherwise a great game. It just wasn't very climactic, lol, and seriously I don't like to see teams win on that sort of thing when the Titans really didn't play good football. They should have annihilated the Steelers, but again the Steelers came back on them.

I still remain very unimpressed with the Titans, 10-1 in the last 11 games of the regular season or not, I am not impressed. If they win the Super Bowl, I will be impressed, probably. I was not impressed with the Patriots ever, though, they didn't deserve to be in the Championship game let alone the Super Bowl, but that's another matter. They're not here this year, fortunately, and the Titans are a good team, I just am not impressed with them to the extent that I really don't think they have what it takes to win it all.

I kind of hope my pick on the Jets is wrong tomorrow because I really like Oakland and I'd love to see them turn in a dominating performance, then there is a good chance Oakland will beat the Titans and face the Eagles/Bucs/Niners in the Big Game. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2003, 10:06:39 AM
Jon the Patriots deserved to be there because they won there way in, don't get into that snow game (the rule does exist so the refs made the right call) About the Titans, I think they played better than the Steelers they just commited too many turnovers luckily Mcnair saved them with his unbelievable playmaking ability.

Jedieb
Jan 12th, 2003, 10:30:04 AM
I'm not going to be online during the game. My in-laws are coming over to watch the game. My father-in-law was a detective in Tampa and served on the force for over 27 years. He use to get me tickets to Bucs games in the old Sombrero. You could sit on those bleachers and not have anyone around you for MILES! Ah, to watch the hideously orange clad Bucs lose yet another game by having Vinny throw multiple INT's and the defense giving away a lead.

I'm going to be looking at Johnson today to see how effective he is. If the Bucs offense can't put up points against SF's defense, then I don't see how they could score enough points to beat Philly at the hell hole known as the Vet.

JonathanLB
Jan 12th, 2003, 01:44:56 PM
Carr, you can scream until you're blue in the face, but the Patriots did not win that football game, did not deserve to be even in the AFC Championship game, and did not win anything. They are a loser football team that managed to steal the championship in the same year that the Lakers likewise cheated their way to an NBA championship. 2002 was the worst year for sports in history, even without a baseball strike or anything like that. By far the worst. I've never seen such corruption and awful officiating in my life.

Well the Niners defense here is just too weak to play, it's sad, but they really cannot play without any of their good starters in. As it is, that defense, with the starters, is only good. Not very good. Not excellent. Just barely good. I saw them play at the start of the season and those guys had it together. The Niners defense, at full strength, is definitely good enough to win a Super Bowl IF the offense plays at its highest level, which it never did during the regular season and only finally managed to step up last week. This is a team that needs some rest, needs to think about how to improve that secondary, and needs to come back and try again, building on what they accomplished this year.

Because, even though it is "only" 22 points at the half, this game is ov-ah. Tampa Bay is a great football team, I like them for the most part. I think Warren Sapp is a bit cheap, but I always did like Johnson anyway, I was a big Vikings fan when he was playing and then went down to injury. I hope he gets some respect. I like Ronde Barber too, he's cool, him and Tiki Barber are both really talented. Plus who could not like the overall Tampa Bay defense? Nonetheless, I contest that the Niners are a much better team that this score shows because their defense is just gone. Also, the offensive line is really banged up too, it's incredible this team just went into the game like a train wreck and the Bucs are plenty healthy.

I read yesterday, "The Jets officially have no injuries," direct quote from ESPN.com. Wow... that's going to be hell of a game. Unfortunately I think I may be out to the movies. I have stuff to do besides sitting home and watching sports all day. I managed to finish a review in the first half of the Niners game just writing on commercial breaks and whatnot, haha!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 12th, 2003, 01:51:56 PM
Stuff to do like sitting around watching movies all day, eh Jonathan? ;) :mneh

Jedieb
Jan 12th, 2003, 01:56:57 PM
We're going to be grilling steaks soon so I only have time for a quick message;
NO... COMEBACK.... TODAY!!!!!!!!! :shootin

JMK
Jan 12th, 2003, 02:41:51 PM
This has just been a good, old fashioned butt-kicking. The Niners are being made to look incompetent.

Jedieb
Jan 12th, 2003, 03:50:02 PM
The Bucs looked very impressive. This was clearly not the same caliber of defense that the Niners went up against last week. I don't know that the Bucs have solved all of their offensive problems. Let's be honest, that Niners defense was just horrible. Two consecutive playoff games in which they gave up over 30 points and tons of passing yards. That secondary only got worse after the early injury. Next week is going to be a tough game on the road for Tampa. The Eagles are the smart pick, but I'm not going to go against the team I'm rooting for. I don't want any mixed emotions when I'm watching that game next week.

It looks like Rod Woodsen is hurt. The Raiders really need his experience and savy in that secondary.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2003, 03:51:34 PM
Jon that is just your opinion, every other newscaster and pundent all feal the Patriots deserves so there:mneh. As far as the Bucs well they played a very good game but I don't see them beating the Eagles, their secondary is healthy and a lot better than the Niners, they will probably hold them to 10 points and win 20-10 or something like that.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 12th, 2003, 05:21:49 PM
Since Im not watching any of the games...who has won??

Jedieb
Jan 12th, 2003, 05:30:44 PM
I have to say that I despised the Pats last year. I fully expected them to fall on their face this season. They did better than I thought they would, but they still failed to make the playoffs. So did the Rams so that doesn't prove they were horrible last year. The Pats had a lot of things fall just their way; their starting QB gets injured and the second stringer ends up being the perfect fit for a title run, the tuck rule, a rusty Bettis, Kordell played his worst game of the season, blocked FG's returned for TD's, interceptions returned for TD's, etc. IMO, they were one of the weaker teams to ever win a Superbowl. But they DID win it. The faced one clutch situation after another and they made the big plays. Big FG's, big turnovers, those weren't gifts, those were earned. Throw in the long winning streak that they rode into the playoffs and you have a team that got hot at just the right time. I didn't root for them, but they earned.

That tuck rule was bull*&(*& though!!!!

For Lady D.
Titans
Eagles
Bucs
all winners so far.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2003, 05:52:09 PM
I am really mad my local CBS station went out and I can't watch the game :(I have to keep tabs on it on the internet.

Jedieb
Jan 12th, 2003, 06:48:53 PM
The Raiders have it wrapped up. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Pennington was injured. He made some bad throws in the second half. He missed wide open receivers, threw some pics. He didn't look likd a QB that completes close to 70% of his passes. The Raiders looked great. They're going to be the favorite next week after this dominant performance.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2003, 07:29:23 PM
Maybe the favs but I think the Titans will beat them, to me they are the team I have that feeling about them since the playoffs began, also I despise the Raiders I almost hate them more than the Yankees (being a Red Sox fan that says something) I am hoping for a Titans-Eagles matchup that would be two teams who have never won, I guess the Bucs would work there too, the Raiders have won enough plus I don't like them the way Al Davis treated Marcus Allen is enough to make me sick.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 12th, 2003, 08:25:38 PM
Thanks, Jedieb :)

JMK
Jan 12th, 2003, 08:28:19 PM
You're right Jedieb, Pennington looked pretty weak today in general. Is he hurt? Or is it a rookie just losing the calm & poise he had for most of the season? It clearly wasn't the same QB who completely dismantled Indianapolis last week. I won't complain about anything that went down this weekend, I went 4-0. :D

Jedieb
Jan 12th, 2003, 08:37:32 PM
Nice job JMK! He just looked inaccurate and unsure of himself at times. Nothing like the QB that beat the Pack and Indy these last 2 weeks. I'm probably going to go 0-2 next week because I'm going with the teams I'm rooting for. Oh, well....

JMK
Jan 12th, 2003, 08:42:29 PM
I'm going with the home teams again. Worked this week, why not next?

Jedieb
Jan 12th, 2003, 08:51:58 PM
I changed my mind about the Tenn/Oak game. I was going to go with McNair, but I think Oakland is playing too well on both sides of the ball. Tenn. looked weak on pass D. yesterday. Both home teams will probably win next week so I'll probably go 1-1.

JMK
Jan 12th, 2003, 09:09:58 PM
You never know dude, why couldn't Tampa pull it off? If they can put up as many points as they did today, or even 1 TD less, they'll have a good chance. Philly hasn't exactly been on fire on offense these days. It's all going to come down to turnovers though I'm afraid. Always does.

Jedieb
Jan 13th, 2003, 07:46:38 AM
SF V. Tampa
Over 40 seconds on the clock and the Niners had the ball in great field position with 2 timeouts. They run on first down and pick up around 7 yards. Then Mariucci decides to let the clock run out?! I don't blame Owens for pouting. That was a HUGE mistake by Mariucci. It probably wouldn't have made a difference yesterday, but it basically sent a message to Tampa; we're so afraid of your defense that we're not even going to TRY to get in FG position. SF had the ball to start the second half. You have to be thinking that you've got a chance to get anywhere from 6 to 14 pionts before Tampa's offense sees the ball again. That sent a bad message to his own team and gave that Buc defense something to gloat about going into halftime. Then again, seeing how SF and Owens turned over the ball on their first second half possession, maybe Mariucci knew what he was doing by running the clock out. :)

jjwr
Jan 13th, 2003, 07:47:54 AM
Yay 4-0! I know those road pretenders would fall :)

That helps make up for my lame wild card weekend picks, now if I can just get the Championship round down....my gut tells me the Titans and Bucs are gonna meet in the Superbowl but thats a awefully tough pick to make, at least one home team will get in there, just a matter of which one.

As for the Patriots....with all the sour grapes Jon I would think you lived in California, and your not even a Raiders fan!

Ok this will be long....so bear with me, feel free to skip to the end for the point of all this :)

Last year the Patriots were by no means a great team, they were a lucky team, and an opportunisitic team. When a big play was needed they got it, whether it be from them making it or a call or break going their way. You can argue otherwise but it seems that last year the Patriots were meant to win the Superbowl, it seems kinda silly but how else do you explain that team coming together to win 11 straight games.

This year they went 8-8, the offense has the same problems this year it did last year, their WR position is thin and their Rookie and Free Agent Acquisitions didn't pan out. The O line is still make shift and it showed. The D Line....well they're just lacking size and getting old, they have no speed to the outside which is why tey were getting killed all year by opposing running Backs.

They also played one of the toughest schedules in the NFL, 9-7 with their schedule is pretty good. Green Bay went what 12-4 but had 6 games vs its division, Pats went 3-1 vs that division, had they played them all twice you'd probably be looking at a
11-5 or 12-4 team. Pats played a tough schedule but couldn't hold up, while you had teams in the NFC play cream puff schedules against weak divisions(Packers, 49ers) and when they played superior opponents in the playoffs they folded.

Last year the Pats put together one of the all time greatest runs, sour grapes aside you can't deny that. The 2001 Patriots story rivals any hollywood sports movie you can think of. You look at the season they had and its really amazing how closely they followed the path of various movies.

2nd Year coach going into a rebuilding year. You have your grizzled Veteran QB who's been through it all and hoping to make another run, a load of new acquisitions and rookies hoping to make a impact.

The Season Starts and they lose to the Bengals! Bad Signs ahead, but the Rival Jets are coming to town. Close game down the stretch.....but the old Veteran goes down! In Comes the Kid, he's shaky at first and the team loses. In the following week the team is dealt a great blow by almost losing their QB(he could have died from that!).

Here come the High Powered Colts....uh oh! 1st Ever start and coming off 2 straight losses.....but they prevail! They crush the colts 44-7 or something along those lines. Through the next 8 weeks or so the team Bonds, the QB comes back from injury but the Kid still gets the call. A few wins are added but the losses keep coming.

At 5-4 the Patriots are at the cross roads, lose too many more games and the season is over but the St. Louis Rams are coming to town. The Pats go out and give it their all but lose 24-17(I think). A good showing but still a loss. 5-5.....this is one of those moments in a Sports movie where the team finally gets it and goes on their run.

Major League when they bring in the cardboard cut-out of the owner and start pealing pieces off. Mighty Ducks when the team almost mutiny's but the Coach makes it back and wins their trust.

This is when the run starts. The Saints come to down and get Thrashed by the boys in Red White & Blue. Nex the Rival Jets, needing the Division win teh Patriots go into the game but come out flat. Trailing at Half Time they come out read to go and take control of the game and rally from a 10 point defecit to win the game 17-16 to keep their season Alive.

After defeating the Browns the Patriots get a massive dose of Luck, in a overtime game against the BIlls a player gets knocked out as he drops the ball, laying out of bounds the ball touches him. The Patriots keep the ball and win the game.

With luck on their side the Patriots defeat the Dolphins and Panthers to win their division and secure a bye.

The first step of their goal is accomplished, they won all of their games and now enter the playoffs as a rested and ready football team.

This is where the Magic Starts. In the "Snow Bowl" probably the most memorable call of 2001 happens, keeping the Patriots game alive the Tuck rule rears its ugly head, the Pats keep the ball and Adam Vinatieri makes one of the most clutch and impressive kicks in NFL history to carry the Pats to victory.

AFC Championship game, just like in Major League when they face the dreaded Yankee's, these are the bullies, the people that are so sure of themselves they know they're gonna win and are already making travel plans for the SB.

The Patriots rise to the occasion, in true hollywood fashion a hero comes to the rescue, the old Veteran, captain of the Guard, Drew Bledsoe comes off the bench and rallies the Patriots to a win over the Steelers.

On to the Superbowl! In a game no one picked them to win(well no one outside of Boston) the Pats come out to complete the Cinderalla story, the holly wood ending is perfect in this one.

Go up big Early 17-3, almost put it away with another TD but it fails, the big bad Rams make a comback...uh 17-17!! Late in the game and Brady gets the ball, even John Madden is saying to kneel for OT.....but not these Pats, One Pass....two passes....Brady and the Pats are on the move. 48 Yard field goal, 7 seconds left.....the Superbowl, the whole season comes down to this one play(as with the Rams momentum OT would have been bad!). Out comes the hero of the snow bowl, Adam Vinatieri to kick what under normal circumstances is a long and tough kick. The snap.....its up.....its good!!!!

And the movie ends.....I mean come on, thats a hollywood movie right there! Played out before our eyes, I'll admit(as I watched all the games) they weren't the prettiest team to watch and they got some incredible breaks along the way but they also made some pretty incredible plays and flat out beat a few very good teams.

Dislike them all you want but what the Pats did in 2001 was pretty magical and impressive. They didn't quite make it this year, but you know what? The Rams did worse! Pats went 9-7 and just missed the playoffs by a hair, where were the Rams who were supposed to be the better team?

I know these words will be mean nothing, sometimes its hard to get the taste of sour grapes out of ones mouth, what I look to is all the columns and stories on ESPN about 2001 and alwasy see the Pats up there on top as greatest story, greatest game, etc....Mortenson, Madden, King, etc all have said and know the Pats were a great team last year(while sadly only good this year), I think they know what they're talking about so I tend to listen to them a bit more :)

That being said......A Bucs vs Raiders Superbowl is awefully tempting, the biggest problem there is the Bucs history in Philli, if I'm not mistaken the past two years the Eagles have knocked them out of the playoffs. Now this is a different Bucs team and better than the past few but can they over-come this. Both defenses are great, I think the key to the game will be who makes the bigger mistakes, which Defense can force the Offense into Turnovers. That will most likely decide this one.

AFC....man those Titans, they're not pretty but they know how to win, just like the Pats last year, they're hot and they're winning. Who cares how they do it.

Jedieb
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:32:43 AM
That pretty much sums up the Pats run. It was a damn movie! All the stars aligned themselves just right. I can't believe the curse of the Babe let that one slip by. ;)

JMK
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:56:53 AM
I just like to think that God is a Pats fan. Of course that's the Fish fan coming out. :p

jjwr
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:09:57 AM
Good point Jedieb....he paid it back during the Red Sox season though. Got everyone all excited with that great start and then stuck a big fork in them in July just so he could watch them die early.

Now next year if the Pats actually run the ball on occasion and get a few WR's besides Troy Brown who can hold onto the ball I could see them doing well.

JMK
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:55:43 AM
I think the AFC east will be insanely tight next year, even more so than this year. I hope the Dolphins get a real TE and another QB (fat chance) but most of all, I hope they keep Norv Turner as offensive co-ordinator. The Bills will be better, the Pats should be, and the Jets are ready to take the next step it would appear.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 13th, 2003, 12:25:44 PM
I don't believe in the curse the Red Sox lose because of their own fault, if they were cursed what are the Cubs and White Sox excues both haven't won a world Series and their streaks are longer than Boston. And jjwr you summed up the Pats season perfectly. As far as next year the East will be tight, heck the whole AFC should be really interesting. I think my Chiefs will be a lot better and might even take the West. I think Oakland will fall apart after this year regardless of what happens to them from here out.

JMK
Jan 13th, 2003, 12:58:45 PM
Will Gannon be able to have another great season? I don't know, but the whole team will be another year older so it will be tough for them.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:36:30 PM
Plus Rice might retire, Brown and Woodson might too if they won a SB. I also think they have some major salary cap issues next season, I thought I read somewhere if they can't do some major restructuring of contracts they might have do cuts like the Ravens did.

jjwr
Jan 14th, 2003, 07:09:34 AM
Next year should be interesting. Before this year a lot were saying this was the year for the Raiders if it was going to happen as next year they would have some major cap decisions and choices to make.

The AFC looks so tough though, so many teams on the rise.

AFC East
Jets - Playing off their momentum from this year, should be better. Will have a tougher schedule
Patriots - If they can solve their reciever and line problems will do well, 2nd place schedule should help a bit.
Dolphins - Need a QB to go with their Stud RB and Defense. Kinda up in the air
Bills - Another year to improve that defense and a 4th place schedule. Be Wary!

So at least 3 out of 4 contending and then the Dolphins who should be able to fix their one big problem.

AFC North
Steelers - Always solid, usually pencilled in for 9-11 wins a year, may have a tougher schedule next year.
Cleveland - With their RB finally hitting his stride they should be improved next year.
Baltimore - Very improved this year, should contend next year.
Cinncinati - Pass

AFC South
TItans - Will stay solid, 9-11 Wins
Colts - if they improve their defense could easily get 10-12 wins
Texans - Another year
Jags - Tough call, could contend or run middle of the pack.

AFC West
Chiefs - Should be up and coming, wild card?
Raiders - Tough call, could bomb next year in hopes of only one big down year and be back in 2004.
Chargers - Should contend as they're one year older, 9-11 wins
Bronco's - ???? This team is so up in the air. Portis is a Monster and if he's healthy and avoids the Denver RB Bug they could do very well.

So I see 13 out of 16 teams which should be contenders, the AFC is gonna be tough again next year. So many quality teams and only a few big Questions.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 19th, 2003, 10:25:58 PM
Im sure most of you have figured it out but if you havent, heres a tip for you......

Next year, wait until I post my picks, then all of you chose the exact opposite. I committed major suckage this season :(