PDA

View Full Version : Going Home (semi-open)

Sage Hazzard
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:01:20 AM
Light moves across the loosely nitted screen door. The warm glow is equally brilliant against the rows of pure green growth outside, extending for endless miles. A young boy's eyes follows the travel of a yellow green leaf. Serenity in it's perfect form as a snapshot is made of the vision of loveliness.

The young child's belly feels cool against the tiled floor of the foyer. He watches the continued concert playing outside in ambient, contagious life. Behind him the dull, distant whispers of two origins discuss something foreign. With his innocent physche he picks up on stray words. A minimal few he understands, originated from the 'big kid' land he hasn't been formerly introduced with yet.

"He looks so much like you honey. It's uncanny."

"It's breathtaking."

"Isn't it?"

"I just hope... Hope he doesn't become a failure like his father."

"Hearth?! You are a sweet and wonderful man. He'll be perfect, just like you."

"I've failed you, dear. Don't deny it, I'm nothing to be proud of. I'm no good as a husband, forget fatherhood."

"You are a brilliant Jedi Knight, your family comes second. I understand that. They will too, in time."

"But is that the way it should really be? I save, help, aid, console, and eliviate the pain of everyone and everything but my family? Is that really the mark of a good Jedi or more so, of a good man?"

"I'm not incompetent Hearth. I can handle the homestead. The people you help need you, they don't all have as wonderful of wives as you."

She drapes her slender arm over his shoulder and meets it with a hand looping under his opposite arm. The child tries to hear, to learn, to make out what the two giants are conversing about. Supposedly their mantles are mom and dad. However the meaning of these titles escape him completely. His 'sister' plops down beside him to enjoy the harmony of the universe around them. Her warm body makes him feel good, happy... loved.

"I'm quittng the Jedi."

She kisses him softly on the neck and then the chin, she pauses before continuing onto his lips.

"No you're not."

He chuckles at the absurd nature of it all.

"Yes I am."

She kisses his lips making him forget his last words.

"No you're not."

"I am going to be home more."

"That I can live with."

She hugs him tight before turning back around to their twins.

"I hope he makes something of himself."

"They both will Hearth. They'll both be exactly like their father."

<hr>

Reality cuts like a serrated knife into the blissful vision. Something feels constricting in the back of his throat. As the air sucks through his mouth in a sharp journey for breath, it ends and exits through the entrance. He's choking. He flops onto his stomach, opening his mouth and coughing purposely. Discolored bile and better left unsaid substances flow from his mouth onto the contrasting grey, rough surface in front of his face. Vomit.

"Wh--"

The pain in his speech reminds him that his vocal cord is crushed. As he gets to his feet, all the merry way up he 'remembers'. Fractured left arm, two broken left fingers, dislocated left shoulder, bruised right knee cap, a twisted left ankle, a shattered right shin, stubbed toe. His migraine is a pillow fight injury in comparison. The cause to this effect is a blurry, flurry, shredded mess of a thing at first. The fog slowly lifts and the sheer horror of dozens of Sith fighting amonst themselves over who will be the lucky one to have his head on their home display spike hits him harder than all of his aches.

He had barely recalled the life of a Jedi, his entire essence now days, until he noticed his right arm seemed painless. A flood of good memories and bad wash over him. The arm that held the mighty weapon of truth and justice. With it in his hand he was invicible. Was. Is. He felt the familar wait in his right hand. The cool to the touch cylinder was resting comfortably in his palm. Funny, it felt like it had never left his hand through the turmoil, the retreat, and the resulting unconsciousness that came after. When fighting with a lightsabre you're arm often doesn't incur damage, unless an attack occurs to dislodge the lightsabre. The reasoning behind this is simple. You're arm is always moving, it's the most protected part of your body in a sabre battle, and the best defense is generally the best offense. Poetic that Sage believed this wholeheartedly, applying it to Jedi 'defense only' phylosophy. He clipped it to his belt, smiling despite his injuries. After all, he had lived to tell the tale of taking on a swarm of loyal Sith brethren. His naiveity and ego was what hurt him the most though. Despite being proud of his own warrior skill, he realised now the folley of his ways. He was almost a rare find in an obscure Jedi history book, about the man that committed suicide without ever drawing blood on himself.

The absurd nature of the situation made him burst out in laughter. A bad idea for a man with two cracked ribs, which he only now remembered he had. He was a Jedi Master that had gallavanted across the galaxy to duel a one man war against a hoarde of Sith, so he could kill them. How completely, utterly asinine. He thought himself untouchable now that the nightmares had gone away, the ones that started before he joined the Jedi. He never thought to consider the reason they went away wasn't because he had 'saved' Sith but rather because he had saved himself. Yes, they had stopped the night he killed a Sith under his new belief that he was the only one headstrong enough to straighten out the balance of the Force. He never thought to think that the same night that happened, he came out from under his father's shadow. That he had chosen his own path with that belief and stopped trying to follow his father's. A father he never knew growing up, because of an untimely death. A father he made a false image of, only so he could become it. He now relised that those nightmares weren't the souls of the fallen men and women he had killed before joining the Jedi seeking their revenge but rather they were him condeming himself for doing something he thought his father would never have done. He had always been free, he just chose to lock himself up.

This vision... this dream he had when he was unconsious... Of the little boy, him at a younger age, that was the object of his parents fond observance. He ascertained that it was most probably a post-cognitive recollection. A Jedi learns through the Force to be connected to all things, space and TIME. In that vision he had visited a time when he was too young to understand his surroundings, yet now he could. Now he saw that his parents were good, honest people. Not gods like he imagined them, just nice simple people that tried their best at every turn, nothing more. BUT WAIT!!! Hadn't his mother died at his birth? His father told him this in his earliest memory, a memory locked in his brain not the Force. This vision predated his memory though, before his father told him this falacy. If his mother hadn't died during delivery, then could she still be alive? He had to know.

Ignoring his pain, ignoring the fact that the extreme measure he took to escape from the fight previously had sapped his body of all strength to use the Force temporarily, he pressed on. He came to the edge of where he stood, the top of a building he now remembered. He had retreated here with speed given by training as a Jedi after creating a sensory blinding explosion through the Force. Something that he had never practiced before, only read about. Something that almost killed him exerting the power to create such a thing that could momentarily blind the senses of Sith Masters. He had run for hours and hours, wounded as badly as he was now, until he could no longer feel the bloodlust of the Sith ricocheting through the Force. Collapsing on this rooftop on Coruscant. It was the last thing he could recall.

Having no idea where he left his transportation, and having no money to speak of, he leaned over the railing of the rooftop, looking down on the blur of activity that went about undernearth. Thinking of a way to get back to Naboo to find out where his mother was, his eyes lit up.

OOC - If you wish to join please PM me first to give me your general intent. I'd like to insure the general flow and meaning of the story is not comprimised.

Sage Hazzard
Jan 8th, 2003, 03:12:37 AM
He looked beneath him. Not out into the vast chaos of the Coruscant traffic but rather directly beneath his feet. It was a hard durasteel. He didn't take the time to wonder how opening the innards of a building to the elements at this altitude might affect the inside busy goers. Or the Jedi implecations and protocols towards this distruction of private property. He ripped his laser sword off his belt and switched it on. The cold calculating blue beam shot out from the cylinder opening in the handle. Driving the blade of light down into the floor beneath him and cutting out a rectangular piece of durasteel, he felt he was doing the most productive thing he had done this night. With a swift kick to the middle the rectangle fell clean through. Making himself small, he dropped into the hole.

Looking up from his landing crouch, he saw the halls vacant. Past closing time. Pure luck considering the cities on Coruscant rarely slept or even nodded off for a second. He took the time to put the cut out piece back in place. After fusing the piece with the surrounding, intact ceiling using his sabre, he sped off down the hall in a controled sprint. Each step he was reminded he was inches away from another blackout.

Coming to a hoverlift now, he caught a glipse out from the glass caseing of the lift. He saw a sign hanging against the building he was in, reading 'under construction'. Good, he was in luck. Not only would he not encounter nosey passerbys but he could rest assured that the maintenence crew would fix the hole in the ceiling. His old fashioned Hazzard luck was returning after all, until he caught a glimpse of himself in the reflective surface of the hoverlift as he rode down. Hideous. How could he face his mother like this? Blue and black. Reminders of the second biggest mistake of his life. If his mother was indeed alive.

As he stepped out onto his floor, he saw the large landing pad that he spotted from the upper level window. These places always had pay comms for business men to call ahead or call behind for last minute changes before returning to their deluxe apartment on the top of the world. He pushed in the number of his credit account.

"Hello, directory assistance, how may I take your call?" The metallic clank of a 'droid answered the phone.

"Ah--"

Sage was mortified as he tried to say the word 'I' and it came out a garbled 'ah'. His adrenal levels must not have come down yet, because he wasn't feeling hardly any pain at all. With all this commotion, he had no time to pay attention to his pain. The excitement and exileration of the moment sent him into an untouchable high. Now he was slowly coming down from it and it wasn't long before he hit rock bottom.

"Sir, sir?"

"Ah--ah ee' ah--" He could barely feel his jaw as it moved. Like it was holding onto his face by a thread. He gave up the idea of politeness or explaining his need in detail. "axee!"

"Sir, sir, did you say Taxi?"

Sage sighed a deep breath of relief.

"Mm-hmm!" He said, trying not to move his clearly dislocated jaw any further than needed.

"Okay, let me forward your call. Hold on a second..."

Sage paced in place, holding the reciever losely to his ear.

"Are you still there sir?"

"Mm!" He mumbled impatiently.

"Sir, there are several Taxi, Limo, and transportation agencies. Alphebetically they are--"

"!!!!!" An unintelligible gurgle of exclaimation screamed from Sage's lips.

"Should I pick one for you, sir?"

Sage nodded tiredly, he was coming down alright, and quick. "Mmmm-hmm."

"Sir, are you alright, sir?"

He felt like laughing but knew it would hurt to much now that he could feel pain.

"--mh-uh."

"Sir, I'll get a Taxi there as quick as possible. We have your address from the pay comm. Just try and remain calm."

"Th-uh."

Sage hung up the reciever.

Sage Hazzard
Jan 20th, 2003, 01:46:48 AM
The Taxi lowered for what seemed like an eternity. Sage limped his way to the backside door. Getting in he could clearly smell the stinch of a freshly lit cigar.

"Where to pal?"

Sage mumbled.

"Heh?"

Sage made a flying motion with his hands.

"You want to go off world? Okay, I'll get ya to the spaceport."

Sage leaned back in the seat, releived his amatuer charade play had been clear.

As the speeder made it's way through traffic, Sage heard the gruff voice of the drive cut into his rest.

"Hey, you look pretty banged up. Are you going to be able to pay for this, pal?"

Sage took a minute and relized he wouldn't. Then, as if it was a sign, remembered that his right arm didn't hurt. He grabbed his lightsabre and handed it to the driver. He made a question gesture.

"Heh... Lightsabre... That should cover it. These sell like hotcakes on the black market."

Sage's eyes widened... This would be hazardess wouldn't it? If someone got their hands on such a lethal weapon. He then remembered that the sabres sold everyday. Mainly bought by collectors of memorbilia. One sabre wouldn't change things.

They came to the space port. He got out of the taxi and bowed to the driver, despite his bad back.

Turning around he took in the large spaceport. Spaceships took off carrying passengers to numerous worlds and locations. He could surely find a ship that would know how to use his credit account. Taxi companys, especially taxi drivers, don't usually dabble in that. They want hard cash. A transportation company would deal in credit and account number transfers. He'd make it to Naboo.

Sage Hazzard
Jan 20th, 2003, 02:06:21 AM
The transport had gone well and he got a lift from a local who was a supported of the Jedi. The Naboo were a good people, kind to the Jedi. The old woman idled outside Sage's old home.

It was a farm house. It wasn't large by any means but the land stretched on for as far as the eye could see. His blood had dried by now and his wounds were healing. He'd had a chance for meditation during the offworld transport, so he felt much healthier.

"Thank you ma'am. I shouldn't be long."

"Take your time dear. You'd do the same for me," which was true.

As he pushed open the abandoned door, the cobwebs shunted away into the counter, wafting in the air.

"Mom?! Mom!!!!"

He called out to no one, hoping if she was alive she'd come back here. Though in the state the house was now in, he would shudder to think of her living here.

He wondered the house for several minutes, soaking up old memories. When he crossed a perticular wall, his body shook with electricity. An old memory was here. Something that could leave an imprint in the Force. Something so important that it's resedue would linger for this many years.

He put his hand to the wall. Dragging his hand along the wall he tapped repeatedly. No studs.... Swung his arm back punched a hole in the drywall. This house didn't use Durasteel. It was centuries old, bought by the Hazzards cheap and fixed up. The walls were weak, breakable. But this wall seemed newer than the others. In his youth he had never noticed that.

Soon he had taken the entire wall down. Inside was an entirely new room. One he had never seen. It was small, very small. So small that it fit inside the space between other rooms. At the end of the room was a chest and a table. As he approached he saw a letter on the table.

"If you're reading this, then I'm no longer with you. The events I have taken have lead to my demise. Know that your father loves you. I constructed this wall right before my death. Don't linger on my death my son. It's not important. To dwell on the past is a feudal gesture. It gains you nothing. In the chest you will find my lightsabre and Jedi attire. I am leaving them to you. If you wish to be a Jedi, than you may use them. I'd like that. If not, it's something to remember me by. Don't hate the man who killed me. A man you undoubtedly do not know the name of. To search him out would lead in death. Either in your's or his. Both would break my heart. For both would be wrong. Good-Bye my son. I love you.

Hearth Hazzard"

Sage couldn't cry. As much as he hated the fact he could, he didn't. His head was swimming. He tucked the note into his pocket and knelt down to the chest. Opening it up let out two decades old air. Inside was the lightsabre his father used in service of the Jedi, along with his robes. The robes were orange and the sabre blade was as well. They wouldn't fit him yet but he'd have them made to. He'd wear them as his now. He picked up the chest, contents inside, and lugged it outside with him. He patted the hood of the speeder that the old woman kept idling.

"Take me back to the space port. I'm going home."

Continued in <a href=http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26771>Coming Home</a>