PDA

View Full Version : Home remedies?

Emma Harvan
Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:40:58 PM
Okay, I absolutely refuse to go to a doctor and I've tried everything I can think of to help this thing but I'm out of ideas. I slammed my finger in a car door early this morning and it gouged it. So I have this hole in my finger and once it stopped bleeding it, obviously, got swollen. But I needed to disinfect it so I put it in some alcohol. It started looking reletively good and so I put some ice on it to see if it would get the swelling down, rubbed Goldenseal in it and fell asleep on the couch. Well I woke up and now it's blue and puffy and really hot to the touch. Alcohol isn't helping, ice isn't helping, Melaluca junk isn't doing anything and I'm out of ideas, save boiling water and lemon juice and soaking it in that. Any home remedies for gouged flesh would be really appreciated

Dae Jinn
Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:46:59 PM
It's blue? Owwie, I hope nothing is broken. :( I'd say soak it in icey water, or look up something online maybe.
But going to the doctor would be best :\

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:47:31 PM
If it's infected get the hell to a doctor, NOW. If you get blood poisioning, you could be dead with 48 hours.

If you have an infected cut, there isnt a home remedy that's goign to really help.I dotn care what you have about doctors, just go and get it looked at right now. You dont know what's goign on, go to someone who does.

Zatania Duvall
Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:49:22 PM
Sounds to me like something's broke. That or the wound is so deep that its bruising.

Emma Harvan
Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:53:36 PM
Doctor is out of the question. Even if I could get to one I would't go, I can't stand them. I don't think it's blood poisening, it doesn't feel as bad as it looks, it's gone a bit numb now and it's not my writing hand so it's not stopping me from doing anything important. My brother looked at it before he drove to work and he said that it's probably just got some dirt in it or something and that if it's not fine in the morning he'll wrap it up but I'd like to get some color back into it and get the swelling down. I'm not frighteningly worried, I've done worse at concerts and such but it just looks gross:x

Rognan Dar
Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:56:00 PM
Why not go to a doctor?? What if you have to have your finger amputated. Would it be worth not going to a doctor when you could have??

Emma Harvan
Jan 4th, 2003, 12:02:55 AM
I don't have a car to get to a hospital if I wanted to and the nearest neighbors are almost an hour away. It won't have to be amputated, it's probably just recovering from the slamming bit... decompressing. I don't think it's broken either, I can move it a little, I just need some way to get the swelling down and the cut taken care of. Goldenseal usually works but it seems to just be irritating it.

Zatania Duvall
Jan 4th, 2003, 12:10:17 AM
Oh I remember something that happened to me before. i fell and my leg slammed against the edge of the wooden platform I was standing on at a playground, twice. Nothing was broke but it was several blue for days and looked like someone was shoving their fist into my calf. It probably is from the impact.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jan 4th, 2003, 12:19:57 AM
Blue is not a good color

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jan 4th, 2003, 01:00:27 AM
honestly, despite how you hate doctors, you should have that looked at.....you don't wanna lose a finger.....

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 4th, 2003, 02:31:03 AM
If it starts smelling, it is infected, and if you really have something against doctors, well you got to cut it off yourself. First, if you have a fire place, start it and get it as hot as possibl. Put the poker in the fire. Next, take a butchers knife and...
GO TO A DOCTOR!!! Whats is so wrong with doctors?!?! They are trained by society to care for the people. GO NOW!!! Before you get gangrene or something.

Marilyn Bellucci
Jan 4th, 2003, 07:51:20 AM
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but you only want to put ice on something swollen within a few hours of when it was injured. After that, you apply heat to it.

And just be glad it wasn't the hinge of a door it was slammed in. >_< When I was seven, I got my finger caught in the hinge of a spring door. Almost lost a good half inch of my finger.

Emma Harvan
Jan 4th, 2003, 09:48:23 PM
I'm in the ckear, now. Talked to my friends mom who's a nurse and she came over and offered to take me to the doctor but ended up cleaning it and wrappin' it up. Won't go into details but it was spectacularly ugly when she got done with it. Bit sore but still numb so everything is a-ok:)

Dae Jinn
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:06:36 AM
Good to hear you got it looked at. Hope it gets better soon :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:10:20 AM
Why didnt you use peroxide to boil it out with? And Im sure the blue coloration was from bruising. Anyway, glad its better. :)