PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of the Coral Sea: New Battlefield 1942 Map

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 1st, 2003, 03:08:02 AM
New Map from EA games for Battlefield 1942.
The Battle of the Coral Sea!
This is what they say about it at Fileshack

Coral Sea as an exciting new map set in the Pacific theater. The action is fast and furious as players test their piloting skills with a total of 24 planes available on the map. The action isn’t limited to dogfighting however as each side has a carrier that they need to defend at all costs. To win, you’ll need to sink the enemy carrier, and then fly through a buoy that appears amidst the wreckage of the ship. Throw in some land-based AA guns and a defensive gun or two in the mix, and you’ve got our latest recipe for a great Battlefield 1942 holiday treat!

Ok, and after playing it, I come to one conclusion. This map is awesome. Download it now. It is small, they didn't add anything new. Download it, and launch into the air.

Personally, I think it would of been better with multiple Aircraft Carriers for each side. With a destroyer or two thrown in to mix it up. Total Victory comes when both ships are sunk. But ya know, they wanted to keep one target for the planes no matter what. (Does get annoying how you have to keep worrying about bombs hitting you, the good thing though, the planes spawn fast, like 8 seconds fast)

Master Yoghurt
Jan 4th, 2003, 07:30:56 AM
Wow, talk about total carnage! Flak gunners paradise! :D

A few tips:

* You and the rest of your team should play as engineers. That way, you can repair the ship as it get damaged. Use that spanner!

* Make sure all the AA guns are manned by competent personnel (IE: me ;)). Laugh as you shoot them all down! :D

* When the skies are cleared, the runway is clear and ship at full strength, get a plane. Mass bombing attack usually does the trick.

* Both carriers have a Defence gun on the nearby island.. if defending, be aware of it (bomb it), if attacking, use it.

* There are also some AA artillery scattered around on some islands.. you might find them useful :)

* If sneaking around like a pirate sounds like a fun, you might like to board the enemy ship as an assault fighter (bail out of plane). Use assault gun and grenades to mow down all the engineers running around and the AA gunners. If you are engineer, toss a few explosives around, perhaps some mines on the runway. Even better: Drop into the sea, swim towards the flag and cap it while no one is looking (yes, it is possible even though the carrier is not sunk yet) ... :angel

Darth Viscera
Jan 4th, 2003, 09:00:54 AM
What they need on that map is torpedo planes. I'm awfully good with those, but no one else is, because no one has taken 5 minutes to learn how they work :)

Give me a torpedo plane and a clear sky with little flak and the opportunity to conduct 8 runs at 16" above the waterline, and I'll give you a sunk carrier :)

I smack myself on the forehead whenever I see a bozo with a torp plane fly above a carrier and drop a torp right on the flight deck. D'OH! That torp could have caused 100x more damage if it had hit the ship right on the waterline right at amidships.

If in doubt, watch the intro movie, at the very end. Two jap torp planes glide above the water at low alt and release their torps while they're 800 feet away from the enemy ship, then bank hard and get out of there.

Master Yoghurt
Jan 4th, 2003, 09:07:51 AM
Yeah, I agree. It would be an awesome map with torpedo planes. One cool thing about torpedo planes, you would have been able to fire them at great distance (lining up correctly and low alt). That way, you would avoided most of the flak

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 4th, 2003, 04:38:26 PM
Yeah, I too see idiots trying to dive bomb with a torpedo plane. It does more damage when you line up the shot. The best way I have found to work is going up as high as you can and diving right down the middle. Dropping the bombs where everyone is waiting. Not only does it allow you to stay out of the way for the majority of the flak, you are going at such high speeds that you manage to escape from the danger zone quickly.

On a side note, I belive we all the only 3 who play BF1942 often, I been using the name Jadgpanther and I love playing the large maps with lots of people. (Sniper Fun)

Darth Viscera
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:22:14 AM
I go by "Corporal Carrot Cake" and Herr Mester Yoghurt goes by "Sergeant Chili Pepper".

Just say the word, and I'll set up WALTER2 as a dedicated bf1942 server. 384kbps up should be sufficient for the 3 of us and a few others.

Master Yoghurt
Jan 6th, 2003, 12:31:13 AM
Lord Dyzm; thanks for the tip of going high when attacking the carrier. It really works. What I do is going waaaaaay high, climbing all the way, and when I reach my destination, divebomb the carrier deck. The Flak gunners never notice before it is too late. Now for getaway tactics, it helps to try stay directly above the carrier deck, or in a straight line from the front or backside of the carrier, because the flak guns cant angle their gun in that way. Another way is flying to the oposite side of the carrier, because some people forget to switch position. When my plane gets too damaged, I usually bail out, and try to take out some crew with my pistol, grenades and rifle, perhaps drop a few mines on the runway and plant some explosives.

Dedicated server would be really really cool. Perhaps you could set it up as a CTF stunt server or something (stunt servers are rare). I'd like Gazala, El Amain, Gudalcanal and Wake Island rotating for every fifth game. Perhaps a couple more maps :)

A possible alternative is finding a good server IP which we can look for each other.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jan 6th, 2003, 01:11:48 AM
You don't play any huge 40+ people games? Those are the best in my opinion. From the time I first started playing FPS (Goldeneye) I have found that I work very well at watching my screen, radar, and the other's people's screens and radars. Able to pinpoint positions easily. IN Battlefield, I watch my radar closely, and if an ally dies, it tells me an enemy is in the area. The Death notice tells me what type of enemy. It is how I operate. I need many allies, they tell me many things when they die. I can't operate on small servers with few people. It is not chaotic enough.