PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Movies of 2002

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 31st, 2002, 09:06:42 PM
Figured its time for this what is you top 10 or 5 if you haven't seen enough films. Here is mine
1 Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
2 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
3 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secerts
4 Signs
5 Red Dragon
6 Spiderman
7 Minority Report
8 The Count of Monte Cristo
9 We Were Soliders
10 The Santa Clause 2

Of course this could change when I see such films as Road to Predition, Catch me if you Can and Chicago.

ReaperFett
Dec 31st, 2002, 09:16:47 PM
Of what I saw, at the cinema, in 2002:

10. Sum of all Fears
9. Oceans Eleven
8. Minority Report
7. Windtalkers
6. Reign of Fire
5. Black Hawk Down
4. TTT
3. The Bourne Identity
2. Die Another Day
1. EP2

JonathanLB
Dec 31st, 2002, 09:27:09 PM
Yeah there should be a requirement here that you must have seen at least 50 movies this year to make a top 10 ;) I'm kidding, but it'll be a bit funny if you saw 20 to 25 movies and you're just listing half of them.

Even I feel incredibly unqualified to make a judgment with regard to this topic because I've not seen about 15 movies that made Ebert's honorable mentions or top 10 lists for the year and they NEVER opened here in Portland, not in one theater, so I have to wait for the DVDs. I just rented The Piano Teacher (not to be confused with The Pianist, which is a Robert Altman film opening here in Portland Friday, I can't wait).

I can give you my top 10 as it stands right now, but without having seen Antwone Fischer, Adaptation, About Schmidt, The Hours, The Quiet American, or The Pianist, among a few others that might be really good, you have to take my current rankings with a grain of salt.

This is my top 10:

1) Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones (A+)
2) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (A+)
3) The Count of Monte Cristo (A+)
4) Simone (A+)
5) Equilibrium (A+)
6) Minority Report (A+)
7) Changing Lanes (A)
8) Catch Me If You Can (A)
9) Road to Perdition (A)
10) xXx (A)

Actually I had trouble at the end of that list with 8-10, because there are a lot of movies aiming for those slots, such as Bowling for Columbine (A), The Rookie (which definitely won't make my top 10 because I gave it an A-), Blade II (A-), Spider-Man (A), and of course Chicago (A-).

Ebert has all of these films as tied for 11th place, so if you think you've seen a lot of movies this year, this will make you think again :)

"About a Boy," "About Schmidt," "Antwone Fisher," "Auto Focus," "Baran," "Blade," "Blood Work," "Bloody Sunday," "Bowling for Columbine," "Changing Lanes," "Chicago," "Diaries of Vaslav Nijinsky," "Frida," "Gangs of New York," "Good Girl," "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets," "How I Killed My Father," "Igby Goes Down," "Insomnia," "The Kid Stays in the Picture," "Kwik Stop," "Lagaan," "Last Orders ," "Les Destinees," "Lilo & Stitch," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towners," "Maryam," "Me Without You," "Metropolis ," "Moonlight Mile," "Nakdahar," "Nicholas Nickleby," "One Hour Photo," "Personal Velocity," "The Pianist," "Piano Teacher," "Possession," "Pumpkin," "Punch-Drunk Love," "Rabbit-Proof Fence," "Read My Lips," "Real Women Have Curves," "Red Dragon," "Signs," "Sleepy Time Gal," "Solaris," "Son's Room," "Song for Martin," "Standing in the Shadows of Motown," "Storytelling," "Sum of all Fears," "Sunshine State," "Talk to Her," "Tully," "25th Hour," "We Were Soldiers," "What Time is it There?" and "XXX."

I have seen a lot of those, but some are out for rent and I'm going to get to them. I'd like to make sure I see literally every film from each year when I'm an active critic (2002 - 2006, likely), but there are a lot of films that do not come to theaters and thus will be tough to find. I can at least aim to see almost everything. I missed 0 national releases, on the positive side.

WORST 10 of the year for me:

1) Y Tu Mama Tambien (F-)
2) The Sweetest Thing (F-)
3) Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (F-)
4) Crossroads (F-)
5) Full Frontal (F-)
6) The Master of Disguise (F-)
7) Martin Lawrence Live: Runteldat (F-)
8) Jason X (F-)
9) Fear Dot Com (F)
10) Deuces Wild (F)

F- = 0 stars
F = 1/2 star.

Ignore the order of 4-7, also, because I think maybe Crossroads is better than Full Frontal and The Master of Disguise, but who really cares. Jason X, however, is the best of the worst -- it was so bad it was funny.

CMJ
Dec 31st, 2002, 10:08:08 PM
From what I have seen so far, I think this is how I'd rank them.

1. Road to Perdition
2. Attack of the Clones
3. Catch Me if You Can
4. Minority Report
5. Gangs of New York
6. Changing Lanes
7. Insomnia
8. Red Dragon
9. Enigma
10. Adaptation

The top 5 are pretty set...6-10 could have movement based on my mood. ;) Plus, there's some movies I really wanna see before I really feel like this is a complete list.

JonathanLB
Dec 31st, 2002, 10:29:38 PM
Enigma was this year? Now I feel out of the loop, I haven't seen that movie.

All of your films, CMJ, I gave 3.5 or 4 stars. I like that list :)

ReaperFett
Dec 31st, 2002, 10:43:11 PM
Enigma was 2001 here, so you might have had some earky screenings, but I think it was 2002 for you

JonathanLB
Dec 31st, 2002, 10:46:48 PM
God, I made a major mistake here, I sometimes forget about the really bad movies I see and I did that here tonight. This is the amended list:

1) Y Tu Mama Tambien (F-)
2) The Sweetest Thing (F-)
3) The Rules of Attraction (F-)
4) Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (F-)
5) Crossroads (F-)
6) Full Frontal (F-)
7) The Master of Disguise (F-)
8) Martin Lawrence Live: Runteldat (F-)
9) Jason X (F-)
10) Fear Dot Com (F)

Deuces Wild got lucky and just missed that list, and Fear Dot Com has a great shot at missing the final list I will publish in, oh, March 2003 because Pinoccio looks like it could be the year's 10th ZERO star film, kicking Fear Dot Com out.

I had earlier left off The Rules of Attraction, which really was almost as bad as both of the films above it, and by far one of the year's worst, most disgusting, perverse films.

Quadinaros
Dec 31st, 2002, 11:17:51 PM
So far:

1. Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones
2. Minority Report
3. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
4. About Schmidt
5. Gangs Of New York
6. Signs
7. Adaptation
8. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
9. Spider-Man
10. Ice Age

CMJ
Jan 1st, 2003, 12:03:32 AM
"Enigma" wasn't released here till 2002(and I live in LA, so it didn't open ANYWHERE in the USA in 2001), thus I included it on this year's list, even if it was iffy.

Admiral Lebron
Jan 1st, 2003, 12:19:13 AM
5. Count of Monte Cristo
4. We Were Soldiers
3. Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets
2. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
1. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

Dutchy
Jan 1st, 2003, 03:34:46 AM
Of course there are a lot I haven't seen or haven't even opened here, so I'll make a Top 5:

1. Minority Report
2. Y Tu Mamá También
3. The Pianist
4. Irréversible
5. One Hour Photo

These will likely also make my eventual Top 10.

JonathanLB
Jan 1st, 2003, 04:20:55 AM
I'm glad you liked The Pianist, Dutchy, makes me really excited to see it because it already looks really good and Polanski is a great director. He has done some weird stuff, but also some really great stuff too. I'm looking forward to its opening here on Friday downtown...

""Enigma" wasn't released here till 2002(and I live in LA, so it didn't open ANYWHERE in the USA in 2001), thus I included it on this year's list, even if it was iffy."

Oh, ok well I just missed it, but I swear we didn't get it in Portland. Blah. I'll have to see if I can find it because I find your taste in film to be excellent so I'm anxious to see it then.

Everyone here has a lot of good movies on their lists. The only few disagreements I may have are stuff like Signs and Harry Potter 2, which were, to me, disappointments, but by no means bad films. HP2 was still a 3 star movie. Signs had its moments, I mean, I loved the atmosphere and general suspense. I was disappointed in the plot because Shyamalan is so good and I thought he'd manage a better story with his excellent suspense.

sirdizzy
Jan 1st, 2003, 09:42:09 AM
1 Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
2 Catch me if you can
3 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
4 Road to Perdition
5 Spiderman
6 Signs
7 Minority Report
8 Harry Potter
9 Bourne Idenity
10 Lilo and Stitch

Jinn Fizz
Jan 1st, 2003, 11:03:29 AM
1) Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones
2) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
3) Star Trek: Nemesis
4) Spider-Man
5) Ice Age

:)

JediBoricua
Jan 1st, 2003, 12:04:21 PM
My top 5, although this is the year I have seem the most movies, like 30 I think, I don't feel I can make a complete list.

1. Attack of the Clones
2. The Two Towers
3. Catch me if you can
4. My big fat greek wedding
5. Y tu Mamá También

JMK
Jan 1st, 2003, 09:40:29 PM
The Two Towers
Attack of the Clones
Bourne Identity
Red Dragon
Die Another Day

Captain Tyle
Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:58:20 AM
1. AotC
2. Signs
3. Lilo and Stitch
4. Minority Report
5. Catch Me if you Can
6. The Ring
7. Red Dragon
8. Die another Day
9. We Were Soldiers
10. TTT

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 4th, 2003, 06:27:22 PM
I hate ranking movies, because my memory is awful. But here goes:

1. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2. My Big Fat Greek Wedding
3. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
4. The Brotherhood of the Wolf (was this a 2002??)
5. Oceans 11
6. Minority Report
7. Signs
8. Road to Perdition
9. Reign of Fire (wins for hottest actors!!)
10. Ice Age

Most Fun: Eight Legged Freaks (I cannot recall if it was this year though, I just rented it. :D)

Worst movie: I Spy :x

ReaperFett
Jan 4th, 2003, 06:33:49 PM
Im worried, I appear to like Reign of Fire mo0re that LD :)

And BOTW was 2002 over there IIRC.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 4th, 2003, 06:37:23 PM
I love Reign of Fire.....its ...augh I dunno. :) Maybe its number 9 and Lilo and Stitch is booted from the list. Its real close. :)

ReaperFett
Jan 4th, 2003, 06:38:03 PM
Im still shocked :)

Admiral Lebron
Jan 4th, 2003, 07:03:50 PM
ROF rocked.

JonathanLB
Jan 4th, 2003, 07:37:51 PM
Reign of Fire is tight.

"4. The Brotherhood of the Wolf (was this a 2002??)"

Nah, 2001... technically anyway. But actually half of 2002's critically acclaimed films are from 2001, LOL, like Spirited Away, The Piano Teacher, to a lesser extent The Brotherhood of the Wolf, probably even Y Tu Mama Tambien, I forget, Frailty (hated this film), etc.

I Spy was really fun, I can't believe you didn't like that. The crtics were dead wrong about that film, it was very enjoyable.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 4th, 2003, 09:02:18 PM
:eek *jaw drops to the floor*

I Spy was amusing at its best, and horribly written/acted at its worst. No wait, it was just awful. I wish I hadn't wasted my hard earned money on it. :x I've seen better plots on the back of a cereal box. Really.

Sanis Prent
Jan 4th, 2003, 09:24:36 PM
Brotherhood was 2001, as was Ice Age, and Oceans 11.

The trailer to I Spy alone made me cringe over twice. Blarg.

Reign of Fire was a decent action movie, but thats about all I can muster for it. I was rather deceived going into the film as I thought there would be Apaches fighting dragons, which there weren't.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2003, 09:55:45 PM
Ice Age came out in March so it is 2002, Brotherhood of the Wolf came out in the US I think wide in 2002, it probably debuted in France in 2001, now Oceans 11 did come out in 2001.

ReaperFett
Jan 4th, 2003, 10:00:40 PM
It debuted in France in early 2001, rest of Europe not long after IIRC

Admiral Lebron
Jan 5th, 2003, 12:28:11 AM
I was misled into seeing Reign of Fire as well, but I enjoyed it. Brotherhood of the Wolf was okay. The best fight was in the beginning in the rain and wtf was up with the indian knowing kung fu?

JediBoricua
Jan 5th, 2003, 12:41:48 AM
I rented BOW expecting the typical french movie. Good thing it wasn't, not to say that I don't enjoy french cinema, because I do, but BOW was mind blowing. Great cinematography, the scenes in teh forest were all great and the scenes in Versalles were awe inspiring!

Best French Movie Ever!

ROF on the other hand, :zzz. The story just blows IMO. It contradicts itself over and over, just not entertaining. And some of the CGI looken horrendous (that's a comment only a SW fan can make!).

JonathanLB
Jan 5th, 2003, 03:13:27 AM
The effects and action in Reign of Fire were excellent, I love Christian Bale (much like LD, lol, but NOT IN THAT WAY! haha), and I was very entertained, what can I say. Was it a great film that generations from now people will still be watching? Hahaha, no way, but I really had fun while watching it, I bought it on DVD, and it was everything I wanted out of it.

I honestly think Brotherhood of the Wolf is one of the best European movies I have ever seen, hehe. That just proves to me that the French REALLY can make movies, so why are they wasting their time on trash like The Piano Teacher? It makes their entire country look bad and obviously they have the talent to make very good movies. I think Jean de Florette remains the best French film I ever saw, it's just classic, but I mean how can you really compare it to Brotherhood of the Wolf? The two films are just way too different. I like them each for different reasons. Manon of the Spring, the sequel to Jean de Florette, is also really good. Plus Emmanuelle Beart (spelling?) is really hot, haha.

Ok the plot of I Spy was really silly and pretty ridiculous, but so what? I laughed a lot, I enjoyed the action, I thought the two actors had good chemistry and they are both excellent actors, so I could forgive the absurd plot because I'm sure even the filmmakers realized what they were making was not to be taken seriously.

Ice Age is obviously 2002, yes, it was a March film that is up for many "Best Animated Film" awards from various groups and circles this year.

Oh by the way...

The following films did not make my top 10 that I just saw, but I highly recommend each of them:

The Pianist: 3.5 stars (like Gangs of New York to me, just barely fell short of greatness, but it's really well worth watching)
About Schmidt: 3.5 stars (gotta love Nicholson)
Antwone Fisher: 4 stars! (I was going to give this 3.5, but the last 10 minutes really pushed it slightly over into the low four star range for me as I thought it was an inspirational story about a man who had overcome great adversity; Denzel can direct, too!)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:41:50 PM
I think Denzel will get a best director nomination.

Darth23
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:05:35 AM
I didn't see 10 movies in 2002. :p

1) AOTC
2)TTT
3)Spiderman!
4) nothing
5) Star Trek Nemesis
99) Ghost Ship

JonathanLB
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:27:32 AM
Ghost Ship blew so hard, jesus.

Dude, you gotta see more than 10 movies because now you have to admit that Ghost Ship was at least one of the 10 best 2002 releases that you saw ;)

Ishiva Ruell
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:29:43 PM
1. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2. Signs
3. We were soldiers
4. Windtalkers
5. ATOC
6. Red Dragon
7. Minority Report
8. Road to Perdition
9. Spider-man (Willem Dafoe saved the movie, somewhat)

Reign of Fire was pretty lame IMHO. Too contrived and disjointed. And the dragon lost to Bale. *puke*

CMJ
Jan 8th, 2003, 10:11:19 PM
Remember...this thread is SUPPOSED to be about the best films of 2002. I'm gonna have to revise my list just to restore order. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 8th, 2003, 10:59:02 PM
Well best of favorite depends on your definition, those 10 were my favorite, (I guess you can consider that best if you want too)

Darth23
Jan 8th, 2003, 11:49:25 PM
Originally posted by Dutchy
Of course there are a lot I haven't seen or haven't even opened here, so I'll make a Top 5:

1. Minority Report
2. Y Tu Mamá También
3. The Pianist
4. Irréversible
5. One Hour Photo

These will likely also make my eventual Top 10.

You are SUCH a snooty movie fan.

:D

Darth23
Jan 8th, 2003, 11:51:23 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
Ghost Ship blew so hard, jesus.

Dude, you gotta see more than 10 movies because now you have to admit that Ghost Ship was at least one of the 10 best 2002 releases that you saw ;)

NEVER!

Being stuck in traffic was a better movie than Ghost Ship.

JonathanLB
Jan 9th, 2003, 01:32:31 AM
Haha, to be fair, 3 of the movies Dutchy chose are very good/excellent, 1 I haven't seen, and 1 was, well, crap, but oh well :)

CMJ
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:27:55 PM
I've edited my list some. I added some new films I've recently seen and reshuffled "Adaptation" upwards because it has stayed with me so well since my initial viewing. I still have a few films left to see, but I figured I should throw my current feelings up for all to see.

Anyways, I added some explanation as to why the films that ARE on my list are there.

1. Road to Perdition - Simply put, my favorite all time mobster movie. But to call it just a "mob" movie is an injustice, it's a personal story of fathers and sons. I *loved* this film.

2. Attack of the Clones - The best Star Wars film in 22 years, need I say more?

3. Catch Me If You Can - Spielberg's most fun film since "Last Crusade".

4. Minority Report - I deeply admire the film by Spielberg. In fact it might move up a few spots(maybe all the way to #1) as time goes by. I think time will benefit this extrememly ambitious film.

5. Gangs of New York - Scorcese's epic of early New York is well made, well acted, with spectacular sets and costumes. Really an impressive film with SO much crammed in it.

6. The Two Towers - A remarkable follow up to "Fellowship", Jackson has made a far superior film to the first in the trilogy.

7. Changing Lanes - One of the best moral dilemna films I've ever seen. Jackson and Affleck(and a great script) make this film a treat. Very underrated.

8. Adaptation - One of the most quirky films I've ever seen. Also the best film about "writing" that I've ever seen. Maybe only a person in "the biz" or wannabe writers would find this so funny, but the in-jokes were hysterical. The funniest film I've seen in ages.

9. The Hours - Other than a lame ending, a real piece of art. Everything in this production reeks of class. The 3 leading ladies are wonderful.

10. Insomina - Christopher Nolan's impressive follow up to "Memento" is great in it's own right. Pacino gives one of his best ever performances, and Williams is creepy as hell.

Taylor Millard
Jan 20th, 2003, 11:56:38 PM
1) TTT
2) Red Dragon
3) Attack of the Clones
4) Spider-Man
5) Insomnia

JonathanLB
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:44:44 AM
Of the first 7 films on your list, CMJ, I gave 4 to all but 1, which was Gangs of New York. Close, 3.5, but not quite.

Then Insomnia and Adaptation were 3.5's, strong 3.5's for sure though.

"7. Changing Lanes - One of the best moral dilemna films I've ever seen. Jackson and Affleck(and a great script) make this film a treat. Very underrated."

Yeah that is what I thought... I love that movie. It also makes my top 10.

I must see Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, The Quiet American, and a few more before I make my final list. Also, 24 Hour Party People is supposed to be good, plus some foreign movies, then I can say I've seen it all and know what was best. :)

GraNi NaColu
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:08:24 PM
My top 5

5)Minority Report
4)Signs
3)The Ring
2)Episode 2
1)LOTR: 2 Towers

I tend to get into the more fantasy and adult movies. I not much into Spiderman, though I did think that it was a good movie. People made too much of a big deal about it.

Now Lord of the Ring was a good movie. I love the battle scenes. This is the kinda movie I enjoy to watch.

JMK
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:18:06 PM
fantasy and adult movies
By adult, I do hope you mean more mature movies and not the 18+ romper room fodder! :lol

ReaperFett
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:20:26 PM
:lol

GraNi NaColu
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:57:54 PM
Haha! Not those kind of adult movies. The Drama and Actions ones. Its a good thing that you caught that, cuz I don't need people thinkin that Im a perv.:lol

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:24:22 PM
Why not? I am.

JonathanLB
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:27:23 PM
Oh yeah, adult movies. I'm going to add a whole section to my site, "Greatest Porn Movies Ever Made!" and I will be "reviewing" about 5 a week, well, if I manage to finish watching any of them, that is.

Haha, j/k

Diego Van Derveld
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:09:15 AM
Start with Deep Throat. Classic :)

I found a site that did that entire movie in ASCII. That was...odd.

Figrin D'an
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:35:29 AM
Originally posted by Diego Van Derveld
I found a site that did that entire movie in ASCII. That was...odd.

o_O

That's just damn frightening...

Sene Unty
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:10:53 AM
1)Chicago
2)TTT
3)Catch me if you can
4)EP2
5)Spider-man
6)Gangs of New York
7)Signs
8)Insomnia
9)The Ring
10)Minority Report

JMK
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:25:01 PM
Dude, where the hell you been?

Sene Unty
Jan 27th, 2003, 09:54:47 PM
I have been kinda busy...with stuff. Its good to be back though. :D

CMJ
Feb 7th, 2003, 07:47:30 PM
Updating this bad boy again. This is not final...it's *very* liquid. I seem to be re-evaluating the list even as I type. It's kinda frustrating actually. ;)

1. Road to Perdition - Simply put, my favorite all time mobster movie. But to call it just a "mob" movie is an injustice, it's a personal story of fathers and sons. I *loved* this film.

2. Attack of the Clones - The best Star Wars film in 22 years, need I say more?

3. Minority Report - I deeply admire the film by Spielberg. In fact it might move up a few spots(maybe all the way to #1) as time goes by. I think time will benefit this extrememly ambitious film.

4. Catch Me If You Can - Spielberg's most fun film since "Last Crusade".

5. Gangs of New York - Scorcese's epic of early New York is well made, well acted, with spectacular sets and costumes. Really an impressive film with SO much crammed in it.

6. Chicago - A terrific musical! The sequences were fun, full of energy. The performances were terrific. A whale of a moviegoing experience.

7. About Schmidt - A funny, sad, and sentimental look at "the Golden Years" of one man's life as he tries to figure out what it all meant. Nicholson gives one of his best perfomances.

8. The Two Towers - A remarkable follow up to "Fellowship", Jackson has made a far superior film to the first in the trilogy.

9. Changing Lanes - One of the best moral dilemna films I've ever seen. Jackson and Affleck(and a great script) make this film a treat. Very underrated.

10. Adaptation - One of the most quirky films I've ever seen. Also the best film about "writing" that I've ever seen. Maybe only a person in "the biz" or wannabe writers would find this so funny, but the in-jokes were hysterical. The funniest film I've seen in ages.

Alternates in no particular Order

The Hours - Other than a lame ending, a real piece of art. Everything in this production reeks of class. The 3 leading ladies are wonderful.

The Pianist - Adrien Brody gives a restrained...moving portrayl of one man trying to stay alive in the Holocaust. A hauntingly wonderful film.

Insomina - Christopher Nolan's impressive follow up to "Memento" is great in it's own right. Pacino gives one of his best ever performances, and Williams is creepy as hell.

Red Dragon - A great prequel to 'Silence of the Lambs'. Some eerie stuff, and well acted all the way around. Fiennes is especially noteworthy as the title character.

Enigma - Riveting mystery/thriller about the men who broke the Nazi Enigma machine codes. Of course that's just the backstory, of this winding, complicated gem.