PDA

View Full Version : Parcells - 4 year deal?

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 06:34:58 PM
Apparently he's about to ink a 4 year deal with Dallas. That's alot longer than anyone had guessed. I guess Jones decided that he would swallow his pride and let Parcells install his program and let him do as he pleases.

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:05:26 PM
Now Parcells is going to sit on the contract and sleep on it for a few days. He could accept the contract as early as tomorrow. He could also do what he did to Tampa last year and leave the Cowboys hanging. I don't see him staying for the full 4. It's possible, but I'd be surprised if he stayed past 2. His recent short stints at NE and the Jets are why I though Dennis Green would be a more stable choice. But the Cowboys need a big name to reenergize the franchise. After Dave Campo and Chan Gailey, Jones HAD to go after a big name. Parcells is about as big as you can get.

I've heard that they even negotiated Jones's sideline visits. I think that both men are going to compromise. Parcells won't have complete control in draft and personnel matters, I don't even Johnson had that. What Parcells wants is imput. He also wants complete say in assistants. That's something Jones has controlled since Jimmy Johnson left. I'm telling you this, you can bet that Bruce Coslet is going to get fired. His offense is pathetic and his last stop with the Bungles was wretched. He's out the door, thankfully.

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 08:00:32 PM
I guess the question is how fast can he turn the franchise around? I guess it would take at least 2 years. I wonder how easily Jones came to the realization that he would have to give up some control?

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:35:37 PM
I look at that roster and I just don't see where the talent is, especially on offense. Defensively, they can be a top 10 team. But they need to either draft a QB or get a free agent while they develop a solid draft pick. Like you said, that's going to take a couple of years. They'll probably be lucky to push .500 next year. But then again, you never know with today's league.

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 11:25:21 PM
Maybe they'll go 13-3! :x

Jedieb
Dec 31st, 2002, 08:52:59 AM
Parcells will be on a reunion tour next year. The Cowboys will be playing the Giants, the Pats, and the Jets. Holy cow.... I see them losing all of those games. Woe as me... :(

jjwr
Dec 31st, 2002, 04:27:18 PM
The sad thing about coaches is they can quite or get fired regardless of what they're contract says but if you try to cut a player it gets a whole lot more complicated. Makes one wonder why coaches even sign contracts :)

My guess is he stays for 3 years tops and rebuilds the team into something decent.

They may go 5-11 next year but it will be a solid 5-11 and the next year will be when they get good. He'll overhaul the roster and bring in good players and cut a lot of chaff, should be interesting to see what happens.