Saturday, 4:30 pm EST

Indianapolis Colts at New York Jets

Saturday, 8:00 pm EST

Atlanta Falcons at Green Bay Packers

Sunday, 1:00 pm EST

Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers

Sunday, 4:30 pm EST

New York Giants at San Francisco 49ers

Same rules as the regular season. All picks must be in by the kickoff of the first game (ie. 4:30 pm EST on Saturday).

sirdizzy
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:08:58 PM
Indianapolis Colts
Green Bay Packers
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:22:19 PM
The seeds
NFC
1. Philly
2. Tampa
3. Packers
4. Niners
5. Falcons
6. Giants

AFC
1. Oakland
2. Titans
3. Steelers
4. Jets
5. Colts
6. Browns

Overall I'd rank them;

Titans
Philly
Oakland
Bucs
Giants
Jets
GB
Steelers
Niners
Falcons
Colts
Browns

It's really hard to rank them because some teams match up better against others. In the NFC home field is crucial, but in the AFC most of the teams could easily win on the road. Everyone in the NFC is sending thank you notes to the Jets. While Pittsburg is secretly doing a jig because they don't have HF thoughout the playoffs. I like the teams that are hot right now; Jets, Giants, Titans. Teams that have squeaked in and consistently struggled like the Browns, Falcons, and Colts are easy pickings for most of the top tier teams. That being said, here are my picks;

Indianapolis Colts at New York Jets WIN
Is ANYONE going to pick Indy?

Atlanta Falcons at Green Bay Packers WIN
Vick is good, but he's not going to overcome the Frozen Tundra.

Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh SteelersWIN
The Steelers should be able to PUMMEL the Browns.

WINNew York Giants at San Francisco 49ers
My upset special baby! Collins has beaten the Niners in the playoffs before so he wont be fazed. NY almost beat SF early this season. The Giants are playing better than they did in week 1, the Niners aren't. Their defense has struggled and they've only got 1 major offensive weapon, Owens. If the Giants take care of the ball they can easily win this game. I'm sure some will disagree. ;)

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:36:25 PM

Indianapolis Colts at New York Jets (W)

Atlanta Falcons at Green Bay Packers (W)

Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers (W)

New York Giants (W) at San Francisco 49ers - I'm going with the G-Men because they are playing exceptionally well right now. Plus, they've been the bane of my existence. Common sense tells me to take the Niners, but my instincts are usually wrong, so the opposite's gotta be right. It may change later in the week...
;)

Taylor Millard
Dec 30th, 2002, 03:05:16 PM
JEts
Packers
Steelers
Niners

Figrin D'an
Dec 30th, 2002, 04:54:04 PM

Indianapolis Colts at New York Jets (W)

The Jets might be the hottest team in the league going into the playoffs. They're playing great on both sides of the ball, and the Colts won't be able to run against those D-Lineman and linebackers. Peyton to Marvin gets a couple of scores, but it won't be enough.

Atlanta Falcons at Green Bay Packers (W)

If this one ends up anything like the opening day game these two teams put together, it should be quite entertaining. Atlanta should have beaten the Packers by about 2 touchdowns at Lambeau that day, but miscues cost them a couple of scores, and a potential game winning field goal was missed by Jay Feely. Vick will make some plays, but once again, the Packers just don't lose in January at Lambeau. The question is... will Green Bay come out slow and deflated after getting pummeled by the Jets, or will they be angry and want to take it out on the Falcons? I honestly don't know. Fortunately for Green Bay, the one player on the Atlanta roster that has been their nemesis in past two games between the teams, FB Bob Christian, is out because of a serious concussion. One never likes to see a player hurt that severely, but the Packer's D is happy, I'm sure, that they won't have to deal with him on Saturday.

Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers (W)

These teams know each other all too well. Put the game in Cleveland, and I'd be tempted to take the Browns. But, being in Pittsburgh, and given that the Steelers had a solid victory at Tampa and a nice comeback win against Baltimore to close the season, Pittsburgh gets the nod in this one.

New York Giants (W) at San Francisco 49ers

Unless San Francisco has a monster game tonight against St. Louis, and proves to me that they are peaking heading into the playoffs, I'm taking the Giants. New York has been the better team, by far, over the last month of the season. Kerry Collins totally dismantled the Colts two weeks ago, and this past weekend, if the Giants eliminated the turnover problems, they would have beaten Philadelphia at least 14 points, if not more. Collins, again, had great numbers against arguably the best secondary in the league, and Tiki Barber ran wild. The key for the Giants will be hanging onto the ball. If they do that, they'll be in great shape. Look for Fassel to utilize Jeremy Shockey a lot again this week, because he has a huge mismatch advantage over the 49ers linebackers and safeties.

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 06:06:47 PM
I don't know if the Niners are going to put any serious effort into tonight's game. They have nothing to gain by it. I woudn't be surprised if Owens sat this one out entirely. I'd be shocked to see Garcia in the game in the second half. I don't think Mariucci is going worry about momentum, he wants his people healthy. So it's going to be difficult to gauge how well SF is playing based on tonight. But over the last couple of months they haven't been lighting it up on either side of the ball. Still, Garcia can make some plays on the run and I think Strahan and the boys are going to make him run next week. That may end up being the closest and most entertaining game of the week.

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 06:45:43 PM
Very true - I don't expect Owens there at all. Maybe like Garcia, he'll play the first half, or until they've got a safe lead.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:03:11 PM
Jets

Packers

Browns

49ers

JonathanLB
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:15:28 PM
The Niners were playing really poorly in the first month of the season and are playing much better now for the most part. I think the Niners have a shot at the Super Bowl still, I don't care what any "experts" say.

And furthermore, Steelers and Titans better than the Niners?! Yeah, right. The Niners would DESTROY either of those teams, easily.

I am picking no upsets, so that should make it easy enough for you to figure out my picks. ALL of the teams that have homefield advantage: Niners, Jets, Green Bay, and the Steelers. There are usually few upsets and I don't see there being any this time. I'll take the non-Wild Card teams. If it had been the Dolphins going to play the Steelers, I may have picked the upset there because the Dolphins are a better team than the Browns are, but I'm not picking the Browns over anybody. They're the worst team to make the playoffs in ages.

The Giants are the second worst team in the playoffs this year and the Niners should have no trouble burying them under about 10 points to 2 TDs.

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:16:30 PM
Owens didn't even make the flight. The Niners are also going to sit 2 offensive lineman. The Rams are starting some QB who hasn't thrown a pass since 99! Marshall Faulk is their 3rd string QB tonight!

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:22:58 PM
The Titans are 9-1 over their last 10 games. The Niners are 6-3 over that same time period. And those 3 loses were all against winning teams. Their pass defense has gotten progressively worse as the season has gone along. And you're saying they're better than the Titans?! Have you even watched a Titans game this season? The Titans defense would pound the Niners and McNair would abuse that secondary. There are some hot teams heading into the playoffs, the Niners AREN'T one of them.

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:46:50 PM
Notice the lack of big time runners in the playoffs? The 6 top rushers ALL missed the playoffs. You have got to be kidding me!

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 08:11:01 PM
What does that say about the supposed importance of a strong running game, and the ability to control the clock? This is so screwed up.

JonathanLB
Dec 30th, 2002, 08:43:41 PM
The Titans are not that great, if you really think that's a better team than the Niners, then I pity your picks. Have YOU watched them?! They are so average, jesus, the Titans are nothing. The Niners would rip them to pieces, at least 10 points too.

Niners are playing great this game, 10-0 already, the LONGEST drive in the entire season by any team started the game, 13:07 drive, INCREDIBLE. I've never seen anything like that.

The Niners have one of the best running games in the entire league. 14 straight games with 100 yards rushing and they already crossed 100 in this, easily. Barlow is great, Hearst is even better, and with Garcia, who is warming up nicely, the Niners are primed for the playoffs. No Giants team is going to be able to stop the Niners, not this year anyway.

The Niners ARE a hot team going into the playoffs, they have 6 Pro Bowl players, more than ANY other team except the Eagles. I think a lot of people, including you, are going to be surprised judging by your low estimation of one of the league's top teams.

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:28:20 PM
That's how you use to win. You ran the ball and it set up your passing game. But when you have a team like Miami lose 2 games in which they rush for over 200 yards you have to just scratch your head. All the double digit leads that got overcome (a record 17 I think), the Superbowl contenders both missing the playoffs, etc. I just don't know if this season is an abberation or if this is how the league is going to be from now on.

About the only thing we can be certain of is that the Bungles are going to suck for the rest of the decade.

Figrin D'an
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:52:43 PM
The Titans are playing some of the best football in the league right now. Their defense has been solid the second half of the season, even without Jevon Kearse, who is now back in the lineup. McNair has been making amazing plays despite being hurt, and Eddie George has provided a good rushing attack. On a neutral field, a Tennessee/San Francisco matchup would be a very good and close game.

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 10:00:47 PM
I can't believe Tenn. did what they did with the injuries they had. Kearse gone for most of the season and was it Dyson they lost also? I know they lost one of their big receivers. The thing is, we won't know squat until these guys start playing. For all we know we may see the Browns or the Falcons in the SB. Because NO ONE outside of Mass. was picking NE at the start of the playoffs. They were dogs against the Steelers and the Raiders. I think we'll see some upstart at least reach one of the conference championship games.

I think one of the 2 NY teams are the best picks for a "surprise" playoff run.

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 11:16:56 PM
I think the Jets are poised for a surprising run in the post season. They are dangerous with a capital D and they're brimming with confidence. Pennington, Santana Moss, Lavernius Coles, Wayne Chrebet has come to life, Chad Morton & especially Curtis Martin are running well as of late, which means they're getting good blocks, they're my pick for a cinderella run.

Brielle Acaana
Dec 30th, 2002, 11:27:11 PM
1. Jets

2. Packers

3. Steelers

4. 49ers

Nathanial K'cansce
Dec 31st, 2002, 12:10:02 PM
Jets, Packers, Steelers, Giants

jjwr
Jan 1st, 2003, 10:29:06 PM
And furthermore, Steelers and Titans better than the Niners?! Yeah, right. The Niners would DESTROY either of those teams, easily.

Jon being a fan is one thing but try not and get too delusional

49ers last 9 games 5-4 total

Nov. 3 @Oakland Win 23-20 (OT)
Nov. 10 Kansas City Win 17-13
Nov. 17 @San Diego Loss 20-17 (OT)
Nov. 25 Philadelphia Loss 38-17
Dec. 1 Seattle Win 31-24
Dec. 8 @Dallas Win 31-27
Dec. 15 Green Bay Loss 20-14
Dec. 21 @Arizona Win 17-14
Dec. 30 @St. Louis Loss 31-20

They won their 5 games by scores of 3, 4, 7, 4, and 3.
They lost their 4 games by scores of 3, 21, 6, and 11.

vs teams that made the playoffs they went 1-2, their only win coming in OT vs the Raiders and losing the other two. 3 of their wins came agains the Cardinals, Cowboys and Seahawks, not exactly 3 great teams and they won those 3 by a combined score of 14.

I'm not saying they suck, they went 10-6 and could have easily gone 11-5 had the final game actually mattered but they're not dominating right now and need a very good game this weekend to beat the Giants.

That being said here are my picks.

Colts
Packers
Steelers
49ers

I think the 49ers will pull it out, Mariucci may be playing for his job and Owens and Garcia should be clicking. That the Giants have over-reached a bit and I've got a feeling they'll come up short(ditto with the Jets).

Jedieb
Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:45:38 AM
Of course you picked the Niners jjwr. They're the hottest and most dominant team in the league!:rolleyes

Nice analysis jjwr. They're a good team, but certainly not the hottest going into the playoffs and they had a stronger regular season last year and still got bounced early.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 2nd, 2003, 03:00:31 PM
Picks aside, I heard on ESPN today that Bill Parcels signed with Dallas (:mneh) for 4 years and 17 million. Anyone else hear that?

Jedieb
Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:36:40 PM
17.1 :)

Figrin D'an
Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:41:58 PM
I'd consider taking the under on that contract.... they will get along to begin with, but Parcells and Jones will clash on personnel decisions, and then all will not be happy in Big D again. Will the Cowboys win? You bet. Parcells will take them to the playoffs. That ultimately didn't stop Jones from getting rid of Jimmy Johnson.

Jedieb
Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:34:19 PM
I'd say anything over 2 years would be surprising. I think 7-9 wins next year and perhaps a WC spot. Then next year they'll be expected to compete seriously. It's really going to be interesting to see if Jones is willing to stay out of his way.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 2nd, 2003, 08:56:13 PM
Here are my picks Jets, Steelers, 49ers, Packers

jjwr
Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:23:06 AM
Yeah my 49ers pick is flawed but I just have a feeling the Giants won't be up to par and will stumble.

Parcells, 3 years tops with probably a 50/50 he'll be gone after 2years.

First year I could see a improvement in the team, better players, better system, more disciplined and a 7-9 or 8-8 record to show for it. Year 2 could bring a Wild Card if they do well in Free Agents and the rookies show up.

Now the question if they don't win right off or lose some consectutive games next year will Jones get antsy and push the envelope. I think next year he'll be safe but if by Year 2 they're doing much better then I could see Jones butting in.

Jedieb
Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:54:17 AM
Giants V. Niners
There are two players to watch here; Jeremy Shockey and Julian Peterson. Peterson did an AMAZING job on Tony Gonzalez when the Niners played the Chiefs. I was stunned to see how well he dropped back into coverage and blanketed Gonzalez. I didn't it was possible for a lineman to stay with Gonzalez that way. If Peterson can do the same against Shockey then that'll seriously hurt the Giants offense. I think the Giants have to get Shockey in motion and look for other match ups that he can take advantage of. That'll help free up the other Giants receivers and their other TE. But if the Niners can handle Shockey with just Peterson, then I don't see how the Giants can put up enough points to win.

CMJ
Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:18:02 AM
I don't really follow the NFL(watching the highlights on Sportscenter is about it), but what the hell it's the playoffs and Jedieb proved you don't have to really follow a sport to pick it well. ;)

Saturday

Indianapolis Colts(W) at New York Jets
Atlanta Falcons at Green Bay Packers(W)

Sunday

Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers(W)
(W)New York Giants at San Francisco 49ers

If I'm right..I'm a genius...if I get'em all wrong, hell I don't really follow the NFL anyways. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:08:00 PM
LOL, well you might have got them all right who knows, none of us knows ourselves ;)
About Parcelles it seems he will be looking for a new QB the best one on the market for next season will probably be Jake Plummer, who is a good QB, probably better than what the Cowboys have. Of course others could get released, I know the Chiefs have a decision to make about Green, he is up for a huge option and the Chiefs don't want to pay it, they are trying to renegotiate, but he easily could pull an Elvis Grabc and refuse (I think he won't) Also I am betting the Jets will release Testeverdie and we know Parcelles has a history with him.

JMK
Jan 3rd, 2003, 03:01:40 PM
Did anyone else hear the rumor that he was going to try and bring Aikman out of retirement?

Jedieb
Jan 3rd, 2003, 06:36:37 PM
I think that Aikman thing is a rumor. Testerverde is too old, he'll be 39 or 40 next season I believe. Plummer is an interesting choice. He showed flashes at Arizona, but he could never put together a consistent season. Was it him or was it the franchise? Plummer was great at 4th quarter comebacks. Which makes you think the was a guy that could succeed when the chips were down and the team was forced to play catch and abandon the crappy game plan that got them in trouble in the first place. I would certainly take Plummer over Hutchinson or Q. Carter, but I don't know if he can lead Dallas back to the Superbowl.

ReaperFett
Jan 3rd, 2003, 06:40:34 PM
Indianapolis
Green Bay
Pittsburgh
San Francisco

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 04:24:01 PM
The Jets are dominating the game, 17-0. I'd like to say it's been fun watching it but my Padawans are crawling all over me!!!! Crazy preschoolers!!!!!!!!!!!

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 05:01:48 PM
24-0 heading into the half. The Jets look simply awesome. They have to be scaring the pants off the rest of the AFC playoff teams.

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 07:38:41 PM
14-0 Atlanta, holy crap! In a season like this what could more fitting than an upstart team like Atlanta making NFL history by winning in Lambeau. That blocked punt was all on the Packers offensive line. Well, let's see what the Pack can do.

JonathanLB
Jan 4th, 2003, 07:39:46 PM
I agree, seriously the Jets look like a Super Bowl contender. There's no reason why they can't pull of an upset next week because that team is totally in sync. It's amazing. I mean, what a total domination of the Colts, who I thought looked TERRIBLE during the last weeks of the regular season.

Now Atlanta is kicking butt, 14-0, YES!

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 07:42:22 PM
You know you want GB knocked out of the playoffs as early as poosible Jon. This must be making your night. :)

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 07:42:59 PM
If your guy Peterson can cover Shockey tomorrow you guys have a good shot at winning.

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 08:00:16 PM
21-0!!! Blocked FG's, opening drive TD's for the first time in the entire season, fumbled punt returns, and tipped passes that result in a first and goal!!!!!! The Packers coaching staff must have been sleeping at their monitors. They should have told Sherman to challenge that last fumble. I think the replay showed it clearly hit a Falcon first. The Packers are breaking down at EVERY level.

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 08:08:14 PM
The Packers should kick a FG here. They need points and they need them now. It's only the 2nd quarter. They don't have to get desperate this early.

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 08:11:17 PM
What a HORRIBLE call!!! How could you hand that off?! It wasn't even close! This game could be over right here. Atlanta can go for the jugular here. Any kind of drive that moves the ball out a bit and doesn't give GB a chance to get points before the half is the first nail in the coffin. I can't believe they called a TO to run THAT play!

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2003, 09:41:03 PM
Did anybody pick Atlanta? Well that won't beat Philadelphia there is no way they can the Eagles will slaughter them, no 6 seed has ever won two games in the playoffs.

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 09:45:44 PM
I think this Falcon win spells doom for the Bucs. I really think the only team that can knock off Philly at home is the Giants. Because of their familiarity and the Giants are on a hot streak. But if McNab is rusty and Vick can run around on the turf.... But the problem with that is that I think Philly's defense has enough speed to keep up with Vick. He'll get a few first downs, but he won't break their backs like he's done with the Pack tonight.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2003, 10:02:04 PM
I agree, Jedieb I think Vick will get creamed by that Eagle defense. Now for Tampa it will depend on who they get the Giants could be dangerous for them. Also I am not sure if the Giants can beat the Eagles in the Vet they have gotten killed there the last few years.

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 10:05:20 PM
The Giants or the Niners will be tough for them. I was assuming GB would win and they'd go to Tampa, then Philly would get the winner of NY & SF. But this upset changes everything. I hope the games tomorrow are closer. Today's blowouts were snoozers.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2003, 10:07:45 PM
I know I thought the Colts-Eagles game would be a lot closer and I thought it would be GB beating up on Atlanta. I think one will be close tomorrow, I think the Steelers will beat the Browns in a blowout.

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2003, 10:11:33 PM
Their regular season games were close (Browns/Steelers), but tomorrow should be a blowout by the Steelers. Giants at SF should be the best game of the weekend. Even if the G-Men pull an upset it should be a close game.

Wasn't Vick awesome tonight? That kid is unbelievable. He's also a hell of a nice guy. He's handling all this attention pretty well for a 22 year old. Did you notice he helped up that cameraman he knocked over on the sideline early in the game. When's the last time you saw someone in the NFL do that? They usually run somebody over and then trot back to the field as if they'd steped on bug.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2003, 10:15:16 PM
Vick is very good, if he gets the personnel he should win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years.

sirdizzy
Jan 4th, 2003, 10:42:16 PM
there was some embarassments today

i really wanted the browns to go all the way but i think i will cheer for the steelers tommorow so the raiders have to play the redhot jets and get eliminated

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:17:57 AM
I would love to see the Raiders get knocked out:evil Being a Chiefs fan that would be a dream right there, I still don't think the Jets will go all the way, I think the Titans would take them out in the title game if it comes to that.

Figrin D'an
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:25:55 AM
Two very uncompetitive games today. This was quite a downer after such an amazing college national title game Friday night. I was all ready for a great weekend of football. Hopefully Sunday's games will be more interesting. Both the Colts and the Packers got flat embarrased.

Indy looked bad on both sides of the ball all game, one wonders how they made it into the playoffs. The Jets are red-hot right how, but damn... not even one touchdown on the Peyton-to-Marvin connection? That's really bad...

As for Green Bay... well... they played like last week's loss to the Jets ruined their season. They looked like they didn't want to be out on the field tonight. Most of them believed that it couldn't get any worse than getting hammered by the Jets. Things are about 5 times worse after tonight's game. They embarassed the entire history of the franchise with their play, and they know it. The injuries didn't help matters, but they weren't prepared to face Atlanta and they didn't give the most supportive fans in all of sports their best effort. While I am a Packers fan, I am nowhere near a Packer zealot, like many people I know. There will a lot of pissed off Wisconsinites for the next few days, I'm sure. But, hats off to Atlanta for playing hard and just flat wanting the game more. They deserved to win from the very first snap.

JMK
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:20:25 AM
Even with the loss to the Jets last week, I didn't think that the Packers were capable of playing that poorly. Vick was as good as he needed to be. He took whatever the Pack gave him and thensome. A truly embarassing effort by the Packers. But like I told my friend, whose uncle is that Packers' equipment manager, at least you know now that Favre will be back next year for sure. If he had gotten his ring this year, there was a strong chance he would have quit. Now they can retool and heal and come back for another run.

Figrin D'an
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:35:52 AM
Too many injuries killed them in the end... there's no way any team, even with a player like Favre, could go very far without a full compliment of players. I said at the beginning of the season that I felt that a division title would be a solid performance for Green Bay this year, considering all of the personal changes on offense. But, in Green Bay, the expectation, every year, is "Super Bowl or bust."

But yes, I agree... the moment Favre wins another title, he'll retire. I have no doubt of that now.

JonathanLB
Jan 5th, 2003, 03:06:07 AM
"You know you want GB knocked out of the playoffs as early as poosible Jon. This must be making your night."

You know it!!! lol, there's no way the Niners could have won versus the Packers if forced to play them at Lambeau, IMO. As it is, the Niners are going to need to be as different tomorrow and in the rest of the playoffs (if there is a "rest of" for them) as the Falcons were today versus how they were in December. I think the Niners, after resting some of their key players and getting a few back from injury lately, will play a close game tomorrow at home and win by perhaps 4. 31-27 maybe.

I honestly think the Jets have a great chance to beat any AFC team, especially the Titans. I personally feel that Titans team is way overrated and it would make me happy to no end to see the Jets smash them into pieces. I think the Titans will lose their first playoff game no matter what it is, personally. Oakland, the Jets, and the Steelers look better than the Titans, 9 out of 10 wins or not, I'll be convinced when they do something in the playoffs. MAYBE. I usually like the Titans, I have nothing against them, but they are not that great. I don't get what all of the fuss is about.

If anything, the Jets are absolutely, undeniably the hottest team in the entire playoffs. They come from 2-5 to make the playoffs and then smash the Colts into oblivion on the first game they get. That's a hot team, especially after just annihilating Green Bay too. Thank you, Jets, for demoralizing the Fudge Packers enough to make them depressed, weary, and unenthused so that they lost in Green Bay :) The Jets are my heroes, and the Falcons too for finishing the deed, haha.

My poor friend Sean is a huge football fan and was rooting for both the Packers (his favorite team I think) and the Colts (another of his favorite teams), so now he only has the Bucs left. He hates almost every team in the league for one reason or another. He hates the 49ers for the same reason I love them, lol. He is like, "Owens is such a (expletive deleted) for all of his antics!" I say, "Owens is THE MAN -- not only is he a showman who swings pom-poms around, pulls pens from his sock, and throws the football down on those STUPID Dallas Cowboys, but he proves his talent and skill through leading the league in TD receptions and being arguably the best receiver." Owens is the man. I love him, hehe. Sean only doesn't like Jeff Garcia because the way he looks. He's not as much of a pretty boy as Steve Young or Joe Montana, haha, both of those guys were very good looking but we are GUYS, I don't see why it matters that Garcia looks funny, who cares? Montana and Young obviously rock and I like them better than Garcia, but hey, I like Garcia. That guy is good. I just think he has looked really off this entire season though, I wonder what gives? I don't think it is the receiving or the line because he has gotten the protection he needs and also, the Niners had 14 straight games with 100+ yards rushing so their running game is better than ever (not since 1987 did they have 14 straight 100+ yard games like that). He just hasn't put it all together yet, but perhaps in the playoffs is a good time to start ;)

sirdizzy
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:25:58 AM
hmmm i like the titans to go to the super bowl too, they are just as red hot as the jets plus i think they have better personell

the only team i do not want to see is the raiders

JonathanLB
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:44:47 AM
We shall see. I do not think the Titans are going anywhere but home. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 5th, 2003, 11:57:42 AM
The Titans are amazing Jon there Defense is ranked third I believe and Mcnair is a great QB and Eddie George is still a very good running back, they will kill the Steelers I feel and I see them going to the super bowl.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:28:38 PM
Well Cleaveland at Pitt. is shaping up just the way we thought huh? This game is looking a lot like their second meeting. The Steelers had to overcome a 20 point deficit to win that game. If not for that great punt return the Steelers would be in a huge hole. The Browns are getting turnovers and they're burning Pittsburg's depleted corners repeatedly. It looks like the Steelers D has just made a big play to hold Cleaveland to a FG before the half. With Maddox the Steelers are better equiped to come back but they have to eliminate these turnovers. Should be a good second half and a much closer game than most of us expected.

The Titans are an awesome team. More importantly, they're entering the playoffs with momentum and a bye. We've seen how well the hot teams have played so far and how poorly struggling teams have done.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:38:52 PM
I think Pittsburg will come back. Also I don't two 6th seeds have ever won the same year right? So if Cleveland wins that would be a first.

JMK
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:47:08 PM
I still can't see how anyone can stop the Jets right now. In any aspect. They blanked Harrison / Manning, and they scored a whopping 41 points. That's firing on all cylinders. The only way you can beat this team right now is to simply outscore them because their offensive guys are just clicking all over the field.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 01:53:50 PM
They've got to duplicate that against Oakland and Tenn. now. those should be much tougher games. But I think the Jets have proven they're capable of winning those games. The 3rd quarter couldn't have started worse for the Steelers. 3 and out and then a big return for the Browns on the punt.

CMJ
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:01:22 PM
Wow, look like I'll go 0-for 3. ;)

Of course I'm more interested in listening to North Texas basketball(which is what I'm currently doing). :D

JMK
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:02:06 PM
It doesn't look like the Browns are going to roll over and let the Steelers come back. They just keep coming.:huh

jjwr
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:12:23 PM
I may be going 0-3 as well CMJ....d'oh!

The Jets laid a huge egg a few weeks back in Chicago(I think it was Chicago). They're playing well but unless we see some week 2 upsets they'd have to win 2 more road games against the Titans & Raiders, I just don't see it happening.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:33:11 PM
The Steeles have made a game of it now, but they just can't stop Holcomb. This reminds me of the way the Pats torched the Steelers defense. They're great against the run, but they can't cover Cleveland's receivers. They need to get some pressure on Holcomb if they're going to gey any closer.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 02:48:46 PM
What a catch! 21-27 with plenty of time left. That no huddle the Steelers are running has Cleveland on its heels. That call by the officials was a good one. The receiver's knee did touch the ground and that made him down by contact. A Cleveland defender barely touched him, but that's all you need. This should be a good finish!

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 03:20:37 PM
28-33 with 3 minutes to go. Now it's down to one possession for each team probably. Pittsburgh's got to stop Cleveland and get the ball back. Cleveland has this lead because they've thrown the ball deep. But they'll probably try to run now. Something they haven't been able to do all day long. This is when the clock beats you because you go against what's worked to try to bleed it.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 03:25:51 PM
Northcut dropped a perfect pass! The Steelers have the ball with a TON of time. I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland gets another possesion if the Steelers score.

CMJ
Jan 5th, 2003, 03:34:27 PM
Man sounds like a great finish. Not quite as good as the double overtime WIN that NT had today though. :D

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 03:34:47 PM
Touchdown Steelers!! What a game! But they left too much time on the clock! I knew they should have let the playclock run down before they used their last time out. They got the 2 point conversion! Can you say overtime?

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 03:44:05 PM
WOW! The Browns ran 1 second short of getting a chance for a 48 yard FG attempt. Great game! That was an amazing comeback one that Pittsburg wouldn't have been able to make with Kordell at QB. But as good as it was, I think you saw why the Steelers can't beat a team like Oakland. They can't defend the pass. Oakland would pick them apart and their defense is much better than Cleveland's. Even the Titans and McNair should be able to light up that Steelers secondary. This was a great pay back for yesterday's blowouts.

ReaperFett
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:03:32 PM
So, who has won so far?

Figrin D'an
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:10:38 PM
Jets, Falcons and Steelers have won so far. Giants/49ers is going on as we speak.

ReaperFett
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:20:31 PM
Woo, 1/3 :)

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:22:39 PM
Well, the afternoon game is playing out the way most thought. SF has one thing going gor it on offense, Owens. He gets one catch and turns it into a long TD. Meanwhile the Giants have had 3 drives and gotten first downs on all of them. But they only have 1 TD to show for it. Why they had Dayne in on that turnover I have no idea. Barber has got to be their guy. SF is doing a job on run D, but the Giants have to much talent at their receiver positions for that Niner secondary to handle.
7-7, this should be a great game!

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:34:03 PM
Shockey is simply a STUD! You're seeing the bug guns step up for both teams. Owens sheds tackles and makes a big run. Then Shockey makes a big catch and run to get inside the one, and then follows it up with a replay of his TD against Philly. The Niners better start double teaming him. The Giants are doing a good job of moving Shockey around so that he's not always matched up with Peterson. But if they pay too much attention to Shockey Toomer and Dixon will eat up that secondary. 14-7 and I expect SF to answer back. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Figrin D'an
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:40:32 PM
At least today's games have been competitive and interesting to watch. Saturday's were just blah.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:45:39 PM
SF should get a TD when they're done looking at that replay. Garcia is killing them when he gets outside. I wonder if NY will try to get a spy of him. They may be willing to take their chances to keep a double team on Owens.

JMK
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:52:29 PM
That Browns/Steelers game was amazing. What a comeback, and what a finish!

I'd continue with my double team of Owens and let Garcia beat me.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:01:14 PM
That's what I would do JMK. That turnover by SF was deadly. Toomer for a TD. The SF defense is having some serious problems with Giants receivers and Shockey. Again though, there's a lot of time before the half, SF is going to make a run. I just wonder howw much longer the SF O line can keep Strahan and Co. off of Garcia.

JMK
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:07:10 PM
So far it just looks like its going to be a shootout.

Intercepted!!! At the end of the half! Boy the Niners better not let another TD come of this. It could be a backbreaker.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:08:26 PM
INT Sehorn! The Giants can really put some pressure and SF with a TD here. Even a FG would be some nice momentum to carry them into halftime. SF will get the ball at the start of the 3rd quarter so you don't want them scoring at both ends.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:09:33 PM
I think SF would need at least two touch downs in a row to stop the assasult, or have a strong defensive drive against Shockey. It's hard to imagine it, but Im pretty sure if they devise some sort of onsalaught they could stop Shockey, or contain him for a certain amount of time. Only if they had Roney Lott, their backs aren't prepared for anything like Shockey, their too small, and less aggresive. It used to be someone who probably could contain Shockey, but he was traded. I forgot his name, but he plays on the Tenessee Titans now.

A strong Safety who would tackle him right, bah.

I still think even if Shockey isn't contained they'll make an offensive run that'd overwhelm the defensive side. Anyways Jeff Garica is killing them on the run..

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:14:55 PM
Burnt toast and the SF secondary, is there any difference? I thought for sure that Collins was going to dump the ball in the middle to get an easier FG, but he went straight for Toomer and Plummer got burnt again. 4 TD passes for Collins. The Giants look great. SF can come back, but it has to be Garcia and Owens and they've got to start with their first drive of the 3rd quarter. The only defense that's going to stop the Giants is their own play calling. If they try to get too conservative to run out the clock in the second half they could let SF back in the game.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:17:59 PM
They can't handle Shockey with just one guy. And if they double him then we've seen what Toomer can do. The Niners are just undermanned in their secondary. They've had some key injuries. But this isn't the only secondary that the Giants have exploited over these last couple of months. They've been on a tear for some time now.

Plus you have to consider Barber. If you add an extra DB back their then that could leave holes for Barber to exploit. Things just don't look good for SF right now.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:35:28 PM
Stuffed on 4th and 1. I'm very surprised SF tried to run against that Giants line. They should have bootlegged Garcia or thrown a quick hitch to Owens. Let's see if NY is going to get conservative or go for blood.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:45:29 PM
The rout is on, 35-14. Unless SF makes a HUGE comeback things have played out the way many of us picked. If you look at it objectively, these 2 teams played today the way they've played over the last month or so. This wasn't a big upset. (Atlanta was BIG upset!) If it had been at NY the Giants probably would have been favored.

If the Niners can get a score here they may make the 4th quarter interesting. But they've got to cut the lead to 14 soon.

JMK
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:46:47 PM
Someone better tell the Niners that the second half has started. If they don't score the next TD, it's over.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:57:26 PM
Thanks to Atlanta no one is going to go 4-0, but there's a bunch of us at 3-1. Not a bad weekend.

Figrin D'an
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:12:51 PM
Looks like San Fran is making a comeback though... this game is far from over...

Figrin D'an
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:14:01 PM
Just like that, and the 49ers are only down by 8.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:14:51 PM
SF has used the no huddle to get themselves back into the game. We saw what happens when some NFL teams get a big lead. They go away from what got them their lead in the first place. That's how Cleveland lost today. Now Garcia has just bootlegged to get SF within 10. If they get the 2 point conversion they're 1 score away. Now what does NY do? (SF got the conversion) Do they get conservative? Or do they go back to airing it out? And how are they going to adjust their defense to cope with the no huddle? This is shaping up to be another great finish.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:14:54 PM
My San Fran is coming back to kill the Giants, OOOOOOH!!!!!!!!

::dances::

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:19:08 PM
Collins looked shaky on that last series. He had Dixon and Shockey open on that last 3rd down and he missed Dixon by a mile. He's starting to rush his reads also. Here come the Niners. How is NY going to stop that no-huddle?

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:24:10 PM
The Giants are keeping a spy in to try to contain Garcia and it's killing them in the secondary. The Giants are going to lose this challenge if they follow it through.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:38:04 PM
They managed to hold them to a FG, but the Giants looked exhausted on defense. So now the stage is set for SF to win the game with a TD on their next possession. That's what'll happen unless the Giants offense steps up. Their defense has been completely taken apart by that no-huddle. Which makes you wonder why they weren't running it early on.

Here come the Giants.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:41:25 PM
Well it looks like the Giants offense has woken up with these 2 first downs. Everything that worked early is still there. Can they avoid the choke and get back to demolishing that SF D? Another first down this time with Barber running up the middle.

ReaperFett
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:42:36 PM
Speak English Eb ;)

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:43:57 PM
They should have play actioned on that 3rd and short. Kick the FG or go for it? I think you have to kick the FG, but we'll see.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:45:35 PM
Well they choked it! It was a bad snap but that hold looked decent. Now the Niners have excellent field position and the Giants defense looks like a deer staring at headlights.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:46:40 PM
3rd and 6, but Seehorn is on Owens and that's a joke.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:47:16 PM
Peterson got him but Owens is just too strong for him. 2 minute warning.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:52:40 PM
SF has the ball inside the 15. Two great collapses today. Why teams go away from what makes them successful is beyond me. How many times does this have to happen before teams learn their lesson. SF deserves to win this game. NY has just choked it big time.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:55:48 PM
That was probably the best thing that could have happened to the Giants. I was telling my wife the best thing for NY is to let them score and give themselves a minute to try and win the game. That score was inevitable. You could just see it coming. Now they're going for 2 to get a 3 point lead. I doubt the Giants will be able to stop them. That penalty on the Giants was big too.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 06:58:13 PM
That was ugly. For a second time the Giants cost themselves 15 minutes by responding to the Niners. Williams got the ejection he deserved.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 07:00:20 PM
Big return, but they need a TD. You can't trust that kicker. SF almost picked that off. 2nd down.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 07:02:30 PM
It's 46 yards from there, but you need to make it a chip shot.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 07:05:02 PM
40 yard FG. In a way I hope he misses it. The Giants don't deserve this game. That was a gutsy comeback and a horrible collapse. The Giants not only lost the lead, but their composure as well. They looked like angry sore losers on those last plays.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 07:07:11 PM
Congrats Jon, great comeback by your guys. The Giants couldn't even get the damn kick off. Unbelievable.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 07:11:13 PM
I didn't see that Reaper was showing his football cluelessness. Sorry I missed that. ;)

ReaperFett
Jan 5th, 2003, 07:23:04 PM
2-2, not bad :)

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 5th, 2003, 07:26:26 PM
Was a great game, go SF

JonathanLB
Jan 5th, 2003, 07:30:51 PM
3-1 this week, I'm having a good playoff run like the Niners so far, haha, but Atlanta? Sorry I could not have called that. I was, well, happy for them because I like Atlanta unlike some people. I like the Packers too, even though they are bitter rivals. I think the Packers are the #1 rivals for the 49ers because the Niners have lost to them in the playoffs countless times and the Packers are the only other NFL team with a comparable history. I believe (?) both the Niners and Packers have 5 Super Bowl wins, but nobody else is that close.

Unlike the Lakers, though, the rivals of the Blazers for sure, I don't hate the Packers at all and in fact have rooted for them many times before, like when they won the Super Bowl a ways back, I was a huge Green Bay fan along with the Niners. For me it was like maybe if the Niners were a 10 in terms of my fandom, the Packers were a 9, I was very big into them, also because I thought Desmond Howard was the man, I really liked Antonio Freeman, Favre is awesome, and umm... I forget who their RB was, but I really liked the team. I suspect injuries hurt them yesterday, but I don't know, mostly it was just mistakes.

The Niners made a mistake that really was going to cost them the game and it was that damn idiot who couldn't catch the football after the punt. That was the momentum changer, and usually a game like this that has a huge momentum changer like that only has ONE -- then it's over. Well this time, the momentum shifted back again like a hurricane, probably with the Giants first failed attempt at a TD when they only got a field goal ("only" hehe), then the Niners promptly marched for 8 points because they had excellent field position (on the 27 of the Giants!), then another 8 after a long drive. Then 3. Then 6. Then game over, bye bye Giants, you sore losing retards :)

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 07:42:37 PM
Next weekend:
Divisional playoffs
Saturday, Jan. 11
Steelers at Titans, 4:30 pm on CBS
The Titans should be able to dominate that game. I can't see them falling apart like the Browns. McNair should be healthier and that bye should have done him wonders.

Falcons at Eagles, 8:00 pm on FOX
The only thing that can stop the Eagles is a rusty McNab. Atlanta's defense can keep this close. But I think that Philly defense is going to be able to keep up with Vick much the same way the Bucs did.

Sunday, Jan. 12
49ers at Buccaneers, 1:00 pm on FOX
The Bucs have to think Johnson should be able to move the ball against that secondary. But the Niners have to think they've found a way to get teams off their heels with that no huddle. It will interesting to see what Monty K. comes up with against that offense.

Jets at Raiders, 4:30 pm on CBS
The Raiders should feel nervous. Woodsen is still banged up. Pennington looks like he's ready to destroy any team that gets in his way. The Jets are a solid pick. I'll probably end up going with the Raiders, but no one should be surprised to see the Jets win this one.

Figrin D'an
Jan 5th, 2003, 08:09:07 PM
The Packers actually only have 3 Super Bowl titles (I, II, XXXI). They have 9 NFL titles from the era before the Super Bowl came into existence. That's kind of where the nickname "Titletown" came from... all of the league titles won by Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi. So, 3 Super Bowl wins, but a total of 12 league championships.

San Francisco and Dallas each have 5 Super Bowl titles.

San Fran: XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, XXIX
Dallas: VI, XII, XXVII, XXVIII, XXX

But, the 49ers are the only team with more than 1 apperance to have a perfect record in the game (5-0).

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 08:15:19 PM
I think the Bears and the Giants are pretty high on the all time list also. We put that up a while ago didn't we?

Next week should have some decent matchups.

JonathanLB
Jan 5th, 2003, 08:21:07 PM
Well yeah, I think you are right, there is no way that Steelers team will beat the Titans I don't think. They didn't look impressive. At all.

I might have to pick upsets with Jets over Oakland and of course Niners over the Buccs. Now don't get me wrong, haha, I think the Buccs will win, but you have to realize I got to hold to my team! Faith :)

The Niners have some chance against the Bucs because the Bucs have a crappy offense that even the Niners might be able to stop, LOL. On the other hand, can the Niners offense do anything against the Buccs? That remains to be seen. It might be low scoring, it might be based on critical errors, perhaps forced by the Buccs defense. Realistically I might say 21-10 Buccs or something, but go Niners! :) There is hope, haha.

I do not mind, though, they have already done what I wanted to see. They can lose now and I will not mind, I am proud of my team, they aren't supposed to win next week and whatever happens just happens. This is not their year, yet, but maybe next year is. Next 3 years, that's when they have to make something happens here, with Owens and Garcia, and Hearst and Barlow.

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 08:28:25 PM
If the Niners play with a no-huddle then they're going to cause the Bucs some problems. The Bucs are a solid offensive team when Brad Johnson is in there. But without him they're useless. The game should be close. I'm just anxious to see how SF is going to run their offense.

JonathanLB
Jan 5th, 2003, 08:35:05 PM
Not that it matters (and it really doesn't), but the Niners have a good record vs. the Buccs all-time. :)

JMK
Jan 5th, 2003, 09:25:07 PM
I'm still thinking about this game, and I think that the better team didn't win, but that the STUPID team gave it away. There were ample opportunities for the Giants to salt away the victory, but as Jedieb said, they went away from what made them successful. Fassel must have lost his brain somewhere during the 3rd quarter. Was there any Vodka in the gatorade? SF did deserve to win, but they can't feel anything but luck right now. Lucky that the Giants are so immensely dumb that this loss looks almost like they didn't want to play next week. Finally though, Garcia wins a big game. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 5th, 2003, 11:51:01 PM
I would stick with your team Jon, I stuck with the Chiefs 15 out 16 weeks (the one week I didn't go with them against the Dolphins they won). I have to say both games were amazing today and what was that kicker thinking throwing the ball, why didn't he spike it, they could have rekicked ??? I also might go with the Jets in an upset I think Oakland isn't as good as people think they are in the NFC I think it will be the Bucs vs Eagles but the Niners could upset the Bucs, I don't see anybody beating the Eagles until the Super Bowl though.

Jamel Croko'yn
Jan 6th, 2003, 12:01:22 AM
I think the Falcons will diss out a suprising victory, I think McNabb is overly confident in his ability even though he managed to go to practice in all, but the rustiness of not playing football for such a long time in an arena, and against a very competive, hyped defense and team. I think Micheal Vick, if he comes out as he has done in the early part of the season will give them a strong attack. His arm is nearly as good, if not better then his feet, and if he uses his arm like he should he could ride this team to the next level. I dont know about beyond that, but I have a close win for this one. I think he could manage it.

I dont know about the other teams though.

JonathanLB
Jan 6th, 2003, 12:54:07 AM
Well here is how I see it (I admitted this, I believe, before this weekend):

During Wild Card weekend, the most likely upset was definitely the Giants over the 49ers. Nobody thought the Packers would lose, the Jets were favorites still (not by that much, considering how big they won), and the Steelers were not expected to have as much trouble with the Browns. So the most likely upset, the one that many people called (6 out of 8 "experts" on ESPN), was the Giants over the 49ers. That did not happen, but almost.

Anyway, so in this next weekend, with four games also, I would say you'd have to believe the most likely upset involves the 49ers yet again, but it is the 49ers over the Buccs. That is my opinion anyway because I do not see the Falcons beating the Eagles. They did not play a great game at Lambeau, not to take anything away from them; the Packers simply were plagued with injuries and made several critical mistakes resulting in 14 points, or 21 you could argue. Now to Oakland vs. the Jets, this is perhaps the 2nd (if not the first) most likely upset, Jets over Oakland, because the Oakland secondary is having problems as I understand and the Jets explosive receiving game is going to be tough to stop. They are going to have to outscore them. I see this game being in the 30's, something like 38-31 or 38-34 or something like that. It will be close I think, unless at the end it gets out of hand. The Steelers do not have any chance at beating the Titans, IMO, that is the surest win of the week but nothing is certain in the NFL, as we know. :)

As for the 49ers "not being the better team," well I'll take advancing to the second round of the playoffs over being the better team. :) Secondly, though, the Niners' one mistake there where the guy had the sun in his eyes and could not catch the ball ruined the Niners' momentum at a time when the game was theirs to win. They were tied 14-14 and the defense had just stopped the Giants beautifully, finally, and the Niners were going to have the ball with the chance to drive and maybe go ahead 21-14 at the half. But instead, it was 28-14 at the half, mostly just because of that single screwup. So you can say the Giants were better all you want, but there's a reason the game was played in San Francisco instead of New York and there's a reason why the Niners still found a way to win that game. They are the better football team. Also, did the Giants send 6 players to the Pro Bowl? No. That's what I thought. They didn't. The only team to send more than the Niners was the Eagles, and the Niners would not be able to beat the Eagles, I don't think.

I see Eagles vs. ummm... Oakland in the Super Bowl. I think Oakland will win their game, but I am keeping my pick with the Jets because they're hot and I have to pick an upset.

Jedieb
Jan 6th, 2003, 02:04:20 PM
There's only 1 "c" in the Buccaneers' nickname Jon!! Should be a good game next week. Good luck. :)

JonathanLB
Jan 6th, 2003, 07:09:01 PM
Not to me there isn't. Buccs. I've seen many people call them the Buccs, including my friends who are big fans (ugg), but oh well. Bucs, Buccs, they are the Buccaneers so I don't see that it matters :)

You read about all of the officiating controversy over the end of the game? I really don't care because the Giants should have been out of it far before that -- Plummer did intercept that pass WELL before the end of the game. It was over. Yet somehow, they didn't even officially review it (they claimed they did) and didn't overturn it at all, yet one of the officials already threw his bean bag indicating an interception by the Niners. So oh gee, I feel so sorry for the Giants because they should have had one more play. NOT. They should have been sent home even earlier. Offsetting poor calls by the officials, so it worked out perfectly -- no mistakes as far as I'm concerned because in a span of 30 seconds like that, two penalties that have equal negative effects, one to each team, cancel each other out and therefore two wrongs, in this case, DO make a right! Of course, it would be ideal to have 0 wrongs. :)

Jedieb
Jan 6th, 2003, 07:14:06 PM
They reviewed it in the booth. The ball touched the ground, that's why they didn't overturn the non-INT call. One ref dropped the bag, but the others came in and told him they saw it incomplete so he went with their call. And you're friends are just wrong about the double "cc." It's always been just one, just check ESPN. ;)

JMK
Jan 6th, 2003, 07:23:57 PM
I don't feel sorry at all for the Giants, they did blow an insurmountable lead, but it does not excuse the refs for blowing the call.

And it is Bucs. One C. Same applies to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Jedieb
Jan 7th, 2003, 11:50:35 AM
They had a poll on ESPN with 4 reasons why the G-Men lost.
1) Refs Blew the Call
2) Giants choked and blew the lead
3) and 2 others I can't remember

#2 I listed was the runaway winner with over 75% of the vote. It never should have come down to that kick. Like I said earlier, even if they'd gotten a second chance they probably would have screwed it up anyway.

JMK
Jan 7th, 2003, 12:36:41 PM
I agree 100%. It doesn't excuse the refs for not knowing the rules, but it should not have come down to this. I just hope that none of those boneheads do any more games, especially the Super Bowl.

JonathanLB
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:12:48 AM
Yeah did you see that even the Giants GM or something said that he didn't blame the refs for it and said that it "didn't matter anyway" because ultimately they threw the game away? Good to see they are actually taking some responsibility. There is no reason to believe they would have made a field goal even given another chance, lol. I mean they were totally inept at the end of that game and already blew one field goal chance just earlier.

Still, it should have been better officiating, and as I said, it WAS an INT by Plummer, I don't care if they said they "reviewed" it, it was never formally reviewed and obviously they were not looking. The ball DID hit the ground, DUH, everyone knows that, but it hit the ground after Plummer had possession of it and the ground cannot cause a fumble, so the play was over. His knee clearly touched the ground WITH the ball in hand, then after his knee touched, the ball came out. That's why the announcers initially said, "This is going to be overturned," because one ref even marked it as an INT. He was right all along.