PDA

View Full Version : Question!!!

Admiral Lebron
Dec 29th, 2002, 10:29:42 AM
Okay, Me and My dad (and my mom) were watching Spiderman. And I was commenting on how much it sucks (cos it does) and my Dad was like "Its the highest grossing movie in 2002." And I'm like "Not if Two Towers gets more." So then he said, "Two towers can't beat it in the twelve days left in the Year." And I replied "But the money it makes from next year will go to it." And "He said no it won't."

So basically, the question is will The Two Towers money from 2003, count for 2002?

P.S I must beat him!

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2002, 10:35:58 AM
Depends who you ask really. TTT will be the highest grossing 2002 film, Spiderman the highest gross in 2002 :)

Jedieb
Dec 29th, 2002, 10:36:29 AM
Yes, it will. But I don't see how TTT can reach $400M. True, I haven't been tracking it, but I think $300M is what it should be shooting for, not $400M plus. I saw both and in some ways Spidey was more enjoyable, but overall I'd say TTT was better. But I think it's easier for Spidey to make money than TTT. Spidey was shorter and more kid friendly. Those are two obstacles that will be tough for TTT to overcome. Regardless, the movie is going to be a HUGE success. I wouldn't worry about it making more money than Spidey or any other film.

JonathanLB
Dec 29th, 2002, 05:43:53 PM
TTT is a vastly superior film to Spider-Man, but I really enjoyed both nonetheless.

As for your question, it doesn't matter AT ALL when a movie makes its money so long as it is the first release or money earned within the year, either one, so it just matters when it opens.

One exception that proves the rule, though, is Saving Private Ryan, which was not the highest grossing movie of 1998. Nice try. Anyone who thinks that is a fool. The film came to theaters, made $190 million, then Armageddon beat it with about $206 million or something. THEN, to give it another release because of its awards recognition, the film re-opened in an entirely separate release in 1999, thus "beating" Armageddon, which still remains the highest grossing movie of 1998. Nonetheless, SPR is the highest grossing film with a release date from 1998. This doesn't hold true when you're simply talking about spillover gross, though. Titanic was the highest grossing film of 1997, it doesn't matter than $400 million worth of its gross (more, actually) was from 1998. Nobody cares about that. It's a 1997 film and is therefore the highest grossing of its year BECAUSE it made all of the money in a single release.

Likewise, The Two Towers still has a chance to beat Spider-Man. I'm not saying it will, but it has a good chance actually. Good as in better than 1 in 5, hehe.

LOTR is holding up very well, I wouldn't be surprised with $375 million, which is pretty darn close to Spider-Man...

I hope I am wrong, though. I wish TTT would stop at $300M even.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 29th, 2002, 07:31:43 PM
Everyone I know INCLUDING MY MOVIE HATING MOTHER! has seen TTT twice or more already. I'm on two, heading into the sunset towards my third viewing. Among the people I know, this movie is an astounding success, and I think its going to have great legs. Sort of like mine, but maybe with a little more color to them. ;) Or something. Anyway.

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2002, 07:33:22 PM
Everyone I know INCLUDING MY MOVIE HATING MOTHER! has seen TTT twice or more already
Once :(

and I think its going to have great legs. Sort of like mine, but maybe with a little more color to them.
Can we see yours, so we can get an idea of its legs? :mischief

Diego Van Derveld
Dec 29th, 2002, 07:34:49 PM
Twice, and that'll do for me :)

I'm off to greener pastures and other movies, with my limited funds

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2002, 07:37:01 PM
Im not intrested in many out rpesently, so a second time is possible.

JonathanLB
Dec 29th, 2002, 07:41:43 PM
Reaper you are in the UK as I remember. We have so many great films out over here now! It's never been like this all year. It's because of the awards season and the fact that this year -- *gasp* -- the awards movies are actually good :)

I have seen TTT only once, which is horrible, I realize. I'm going a second time with my mom this next week but I don't think I'll make that three because my film viewing schedule really is rigorous. I hold myself to a high standard that is tough to meet and repeat viewings are not so much possible now.

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2002, 07:43:14 PM
We're not THAT bad in general, but we can have bad ones. Master of Disguise and The Transporter open next month ;)

Dae Jinn
Dec 29th, 2002, 07:49:18 PM
Poor Fett *huggles*

I'd like to see it again, I just need to find someone to go with. My sister, who as far as I know, is not a huge LOTR fan, went with me to the TTT exhibit in Toronto, and she's seen the movie twice :D Which is cool and unfair...:lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 29th, 2002, 08:06:44 PM
See the Transporter!! If you have to see one of the two you mentioned. If not, just wait for better movies. :) Although Turkish kicks booty. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 29th, 2002, 08:07:12 PM
Well TTT will make more than Spiderman World Wide IMO, I also have a feeling Harry Potter will make more than Spiderman, it has been having great legs overseas and will gross 550 at least overseas. As far as does the money for 2003 count well it does, IMO use our 100 Million list here we have as fact :p As far as Spiderman well I liked it but it wouldn't even make my top 5 of this year, which would be
1 AOTC
2 TTT
3 HP:COS
4 Signs
5 Red Dragon
I liked those 5 a lot more.

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2002, 08:07:46 PM
I want to see it :)

Now, I asked about legs? :mischief

Diego Van Derveld
Dec 29th, 2002, 08:17:52 PM
1. AotC
2. Signs
3. Lilo and Stitch
4. The Ring
5. Red Dragon
6. Die another Day
7. We Were Soldiers
8. Black Hawk Down
9. TTT
10. The Road to Perdition

That would be my favorite views of the year.

JonathanLB
Dec 29th, 2002, 08:38:30 PM
Black Hawk Down is 2001, but ok, it was great :)

That is a good list of films, though:

1. AotC - 4
2. Signs - 2.5
3. Lilo and Stitch - 3
4. The Ring - 3.5
5. Red Dragon - 3.5
6. Die another Day - 3.5
7. We Were Soldiers - 2.5 (cut the obnoxious women and you have a good war film)
8. Black Hawk Down - 4
9. TTT - 4
10. The Road to Perdition - 4

Fett, The Transporter was VERY good, one of the best action movies of the year. If you're waiting for better films than that, you may be waiting an extremely long time. I've not seen a car chase that good since The French Connection. It is BY FAR better than the overrated but still fun car chase from Ronin. The dialogue in The Transporter is good too, I thought, some really funny lines. I love that movie. Can't wait for its DVD release here.

The Master of Disguise was truly terrible, though. No stars.

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2002, 08:49:16 PM
This year, Ive seen the following. Ranking later :) :

EP2
Die Another Day
The Bourne Identity
Windtalkers
Reign of Fire
Men in Black 2
Goldmember
Sum of all Fears
Spiderman
Minority Report
TTT
Black Hawk Down
Oceans Eleven
Blade 2

If theres more, I cant find their stubs :)

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 29th, 2002, 08:58:32 PM
Only once TTT for me - but that will change very soon.

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2002, 08:59:55 PM
When you spend a day in the cinema as the staff, held at gunpoint, run it eight times in a day? :)

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 29th, 2002, 09:01:53 PM
Hey, good idea!

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2002, 09:06:33 PM
Im sure you could hold out for a second day too ;)

Diego Van Derveld
Dec 29th, 2002, 09:15:02 PM
Arg! I forgot Minority Report. Shows how my memory lapses at times...

Ok, a revision then, adjusting for Minority Report and the fact that Black Hawk Down is 2001...

1. AotC
2. Signs
3. Lilo and Stitch
4. Minority Report
5. The Ring
6. Red Dragon
7. Die another Day
8. We Were Soldiers
9. TTT
10. Road to Perdition

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 30th, 2002, 08:37:51 PM
No legs!

ReaperFett
Dec 30th, 2002, 08:41:23 PM
Aw go on! :)

Diego Van Derveld
Dec 31st, 2002, 01:25:39 AM
Just saw Catch me if you Can...and it takes #5 on my list.