PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Figures?

Jedieb
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:42:06 PM
Does anyone else collect them? The POTF2 era and the current line got me started, but they've also kept me from completing the vintage line. I'm about 1/3 of the way through. I just won an auction on ebay for one of the more expensive little plastic men and he should be within my grasp soon. So who else wastes their money on these guys?

JMK
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:45:54 PM
I've got about 30 loose vintage figures. If I had a little more money I'd visit ebay more often and bid, but I think that will be a collection that will have to wait a few more years.

jjwr
Dec 29th, 2002, 06:51:28 PM
I've got maybe 10-15 total but thats about it. I've got the ones I want and as for the rest I'd just as soon buy the new stuff.

My favorite Vintage piece is my B-Wing, very cool ship!

Jedieb
Dec 29th, 2002, 07:58:19 PM
Ships
Imp Shuttle
A-Wing
Tie Interceptor

I really want an old X-Wing. I had one as a kid and I loved playing with it. But for now, I'm like you guys. Too much new stuff out there to buy right now.

Heero Luna
Dec 30th, 2002, 12:48:49 PM
I always feel I should buy vintage before all the good stuff gets snapped up. But the new goods are far to appealing to just ignore. In an ideal world I could afford to work on both collections at the same time.

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 01:15:04 PM
Amen to that.

ReaperFett
Dec 30th, 2002, 01:26:39 PM
Ive got loads of loose, and an Ewok and Gammorean Guard boxed.

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:38:30 PM
I often wonder about what is going to happen to the prices of vintage items after the prequels are over. On the one hand, demand could go up if many collectors like me find themselves focusing on vintage items because Hasbro has stopped making SW toys. If demand goes up, so will the prices. But the lack of movies could usher in another decline in interest in SW and SW toys. If that happens you could end up picking a lot of vintage items for better prices than you would today. I just don't know what's going to happen. I know that in the late 80's you could get stuff pretty cheap. But the lack of the internet helped keep demand down because collectors couldn't communicate with each other very well. Even after the prequels are over you're going to have plenty of items to choose from on ebay. I think that will help keep interest in SW toys alive for years to come. But just how much is anybody's guess.

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:04:06 PM
I desperately want to get some boxed vintage figures, but I can't afford to shell out $50 for someone like Weequay or Rebel Soldier. :(

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:43:14 PM
Some carded vintage figures can be gotten for around $25. They're too expensive for me. Maybe one day I'll spring some serious change for a carded Luke or maybe Vader, but that'd be about it as far as carded vintage figs for me.

JMK
Dec 31st, 2002, 12:36:54 PM
I think I would shell out for the main guys. Luke, Han, Chewie, Leia, Obi Wan, C-3P0, R2, Vader & a Stormtrooper, maybe Boba Fett & Yoda, but that's about it. Still, that's about $1000.:(

Jedieb
Dec 31st, 2002, 07:40:46 PM
If you try to get them on early Star Wars cards all those could set you back over $2,000! I'm just guessing on the price, it could be way more or slightly less, but not by much. That's why I think a nice Luke and Vader side by side would be nice.

JMK
Jan 1st, 2003, 09:57:25 PM
Damn, I may have to trim my list. Maybe Luke, Leia and Vader would do just fine afterall. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2003, 10:35:30 PM
You could check Flea Markets or yard sales though you probably would find mostly loose ones. I have a few loose ones myself, I wish I had more :\

sirdizzy
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:27:11 AM
i have the dirty dozen left as i like to call it all POTF figs

stuff like luke stromtrooper, blue snaggletooth, amanaman

sirdizzy
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:30:43 AM
and i have 2 carded vintage fig, and one just happens to be an expensive one POTF imperial gunner

i also have an ewoks dulok shaman

i had one other carded fig i opened it because the bubble was yellow and thrashed and that was an imperial diginitary

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2003, 04:26:37 PM
Are you going to finish the droids and ewoks lines? I might try to get them and sub the vlix with a decent repro.

sirdizzy
Jan 10th, 2003, 08:57:54 AM
yea i would like to get all the droids and ewoks, but they are harder to find even one ebay

Jedieb
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:16:04 PM
I just spotted a loose vintage Vlix on ebay. The starting bid is only $2,000! What a steal!:rolleyes It'll probably end up going for $3,000-$5,000. That's if it get's sold. The seller only has 3 feedbacks. I'd never buy anything that expensive from someone with only 3 feedbacks. Then again, I'd never spend that much on a single figure no matter what it was. That's why I'm going with a repro. Hell, I might even try to make one myself one day.

sirdizzy
Jan 14th, 2003, 12:59:33 PM
would be cool to have a reproduction vlix but i would never ever buya real one even if i had the money

sirdizzy
Jan 14th, 2003, 01:04:22 PM
and i found the auction you were reffering too

a few things cracked me up #1 no shipping like thats some great comeon hey spend two grand on a piece of plastic and ya gets free shipping hehe

and no reserve the auction started at two grand but there is no reserve yeaaaaaaaaaaaa

JMK
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:12:11 AM
What's the reserve thing mean?

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:40:40 AM
If the price of the auction doesn't go above a "reserve" price set by the seller he does not have to honor the auction. A lot of those auctions also have a "Buy It Now" option where you could buy the item before bids reach a certain amount or before anyone places a first bid.

JMK
Jan 15th, 2003, 08:13:27 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I like the Buy it now feature. It can be foolish, but if you're looking for something and want it badly, that option is a god send.