View Full Version : NFL Mvp?

Jedieb
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:28:48 PM
Okay, who are your choices for MVP? My top 4 would be;

1. Rich Gannon
2. Favre
3. Vick
4. Priest Holmes

I would have had Holmes higher, but the injury came at a time when his team really needed him. They won the game he didn't play in, but I think those other guys have just carried their teams, Gannon's just had an amazing season and even if he doesn't get Marino's record I think he's going to win this season's MVP.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:41:38 PM
I rank Farve first and Holmes Second (hey I am biased :p) I think Farve will win it, but it is hard to say, I hope Gannon doesn't win it I hate the Raiders.

Jedieb
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:44:33 PM
It's hard to see somebody from a team you hate win it. But I think Gannon's is the frontrunner right now. If he has a big game to finish the season then I think the award is his. I think Favre's 3 other MVP's will actually hurt him. Vick had a chance, but the Tampa Bay game killed his momentum. If Holmes hadn't gotten injured and made a run at Emmit's record then I think he may have had a shot as well.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:51:02 PM
I know it is worse that Gannon once played for the Chiefs.

Jedieb
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:54:08 PM
That's right, man, I'd totally forgotten that. He's been all over the place. It's pretty amazing how he's come on in his mid 30's. I forgot to mention Ricky Williams. If the Dolphins had been able to win a few more games I think he'd be another strong candidate.

Taylor Millard
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:59:55 PM
I want Ricky to win it...he's doing a great job.

Now...as for the four up there...Favre is who I'd like to get it. Michael Vick will get it in the next couple years.

I dunno if he's going to revolutionize the position of QB...but damn he's good.

JMK
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:17:10 PM
Ricky!Ricky!Ricky! 1600+ yards has to be worth something! But I think Gannon may get it just because of his numbers & age.

sirdizzy
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:44:42 PM
Clinton Portis

Figrin D'an
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:17:57 AM
Originally posted by sirdizzy
Clinton Portis

Rookie of the Year, maybe... but MVP? Not a chance...

If Gannon has a good game against KC this weekend, I expect him to win it. As much as I would love to see Favre win a 4th MVP award, he had a stretch in the middle of season in which he threw about 8 INTs in 3 games, and the Packer's offense hasn't exactly been racking up the points the past couple of weeks, even though they've won. If Priest Holmes hadn't have gotten hurt, he'd likely be the front runner. Ricky Williams will get some "also ran" votes.

JonathanLB
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:50:09 AM
Terrell Owens!

Jedieb
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:45:45 AM
Portis should get Rookie of the Year, but his team hasn't done well enough to get many MVP votes. He wouldn't even get running back of the year if there was such an award. But he's been a great surprise for Denver this year. Owens is actually not a bad choice, but there all of the other players mentioned have had more of an impact. He's single handedly won games for his team, but he's a receiver and it's tough for those guys to win MVP's. They've got to have record breaking seasons to do that.

Jedieb
Dec 28th, 2002, 02:59:16 PM
I think Shockey took the Rookie of the Year award away from Portis today. He's had a monster of a game against the Eagles. He also broke Bavaro's team record for receptions by a TE.

jjwr
Dec 28th, 2002, 07:44:37 PM
I say Gannon, hopeuflly not Favre. The way the NFL is going right now the guy could throw 2 Int's a game all year and everyone would still put him up on a pedestal.

I have nothing against the guy but its a bit ridiculous some of the attention placed on this guy.

Packers have a better record but have played a very soft schedule, including 6 give me games in their division, while the Raiders division included the Bronco's, Chargers and Chiefs, much tougher.

Gannon has been great this year, its gotta be him.

Figrin D'an
Dec 28th, 2002, 08:00:17 PM
It's no different than the attention that was given to Elway or Marino or Montana. When you break records and win games, like Favre has done, it's going to garner a lot of 'gushing' media attention.

JMK
Dec 28th, 2002, 08:32:12 PM
I just get a little tired of seeing Madden gushing over him. It's not so bad this year because he's only on Monday's but when he was on Fox on sundays I just heard him talking about how great he was all the time.

jjwr
Dec 29th, 2002, 07:37:08 AM
Agreed, it just gets a bit old. Like Peter King from Sports Illustrated, the guy can hardly write a column without sticking something about Favre in there.

Quite often he'll point out the MVP that Favre split with Sanders. Guess King voted for Karnell Lake that year and Favre's wife still gives him crap about voting for Lake and not her husband.

Hello! What about Barry that year, 2,000 fricken yards and the guy carried his team to the playoffs.

JonathanLB
Dec 29th, 2002, 09:48:56 AM
Favre is a great player, that is for sure.

Actually the player that Madden loves to kiss up to constantly and cannot go 10 minutes without mentioning is Marshall Faulk. It doesn't even have to be the Rams playing, though he is going to love this Monday Night Football game, he's probably having wet dreams about it now. Even when Faulk is not playing at all he is like, "You know so and so really reminds me of Marshall Faulk." "You know if the Green Bay Packers had Marshall Faulk they really would be unstoppable." "That play there reminds me of something Marshall Faulk does when he is trying to evade tacklers." "You know it's interesting you say that, because I was talking to Marshall Faulk and he said the same thing." "Marshall Faulk could have caught that pass. That's what this team needs is a Marshall Faulk." JEEZ, buddy, seriously enough @$$ kissing already!

I like Madden a lot, he's a smart guy and a good announcer, but it's so funny.

sirdizzy
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:15:58 PM
shockey seemed to have it on saturday for rookie of the year with that monster game

but portis one upped him on sunday with the biggest day of his life and career 228 yards rushing and 2 tds

it will be interesting

sirdizzy
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:20:45 PM
but i got looking at shockeys numbers they suck in comparison to portis'

74 receptions
894 yards
12.1 avg
30 long
2 TDs

those aren't award winning numbers hell his longest pass of the season was only for 30 yards

portis' numbers
273 attempts for 1508 yards
5.5 avg
59 long
15 rushing Tds
33 receptions for 364 yards
11.0 avg
66 long
2 recieving Tds

Portis had as many recieving Tds as shockey and then 15 rushing tds to go with them, he also had a longer reception and almost as good avg as shockey

this should be hands down for portis

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:28:08 PM
You have to compare Shockey's numbers to other TE's, not RB's. He's the only rookie to make the Pro Bowl and he broke a long standing team record as a rookie. Portis did himself justice yesterday, but Shockey made plays that were outstanding for his position and he made the game winning catch that propelled his team to the playoffs. He's probably going to get the nod. But Portis has nothing to be ashamed about. I just think more voters are going to cast their votes for Shockey, but it'll be close.

sirdizzy
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:39:23 PM
ok i went and compared him to other tight ends he was the #1 tight end the #2 was Todd Heap of the Ravens heres his numbers

68 receptions for 836 yards
12.3 avg
43 long
6 tds

so shockey may have had slightly more receptions and yards but to me the Tds make a big differnce as heap had 3 times a many trips to the end zone

the #3 tight end was Tony Gonzalez and his numbers were
63 receptions for 773 yards
12.3 avg
42 long
7 Tds

again look at the tds and this is with holmes on their team raking in 24 tds

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:43:34 PM
We never mentioned Jason Taylor as MVP either. He had an almost Strahan-like season. Of course the Dolphins missed the playoffs, so no one on that team would get it. Plus he would cancel out any chance he had because Ricky deserves mention too. :\

sirdizzy
Dec 30th, 2002, 02:51:57 PM
also portis did no start or really play the first 4 games of the season

can ya imagine his numbers in a 16 game season instead of a 12 game season

portis will be the next back to rush for 2000 yards in a season

denver did not make the playoffs terrell davis rookie season either but portis the next davis

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 04:11:40 PM
I was thinking about your case for Portis while I was working on my bonus room and I have to admit you made a real good case for him. I still Shockey is going to win, but Portis would be a great choice. I just think that Portis is going to be hurt by Denver falling short of the playoffs and the recent success that Denver's had in plugging in backs since Davis started having injury problems.

Figrin D'an
Dec 30th, 2002, 05:07:00 PM
That's a good point, Jedieb... Portis had a great year, and although it is kind of unfair to think of it that manner, the recent history of Bronco RB success will hurt him in the voting. Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson both had great stints as Denver's staring RB when Davis was hurt. Now, all of those guys, including Portis, are very talented. But, with that kind of consistent success, it really becomes evident how significant a factor that the offensive line is in the run blocking scheme.

Not taking anything away from Portis season, but in an era when the flamboyant and the highlight reel are king, Shockey was higher on the food chain than Portis this season.

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 06:15:02 PM
Both of them are U of M egomaniacs. Sometimes I think college teams like the Hurricanes really could beat a team like the Bungles.

sirdizzy
Dec 30th, 2002, 06:42:58 PM
portis definitly has a monster ego, he was telling davis druing trainign camp before he retired he was going to take his job

and he has a chip on his shoulder still for being taken in the 2nd round instead of the #4 pick overall

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 06:46:55 PM
Some people seriously need to get over themselves.:\

JonathanLB
Dec 30th, 2002, 06:49:17 PM
Who is the QB of the Bengals? He's my choice for MVP.

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 06:52:33 PM
The legendary Jon Kitna. I think. Who really cares? :lol

JonathanLB
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:33:17 PM
Who does care? I could have been their QB and they wouldn't have done any worse, technically. I mean even if I led them to a 0-16 record, they'd still have been the worst team and set franchise records for most losses and fewest wins along with getting that first draft pick ;)

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 08:06:16 PM
What boggles my mind is that there doesn't seem to be any professional pride anywhere in the organization. They've got a couple decent players, but there's absolutely no direction in that franchise. If I were ever drafted by that team, I think I'd refuse to report to camp. I wouldn't want my career ruined before it got started. Even more confusing is how they continue to attract fans. Year after year they are the doormat of the NFL and the fans still turn out. Very loyal or very stupid.

JonathanLB
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:05:44 PM
LOL, put me down for the "very stupid" theory.

You are right, where is the pride there?! There is no sense of heart or care at all, they just bungle their way through the season.

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:32:37 PM
From what I've read about the organization, it's run purely on nepatism. You've got the front office staffed by nothing but incompetent relatives and Brown has no will to change. It's really embarrasing. The only hope you can offer Bungles fans is to take a look at the the Bucs. They were the laughing stock of pro sports, let alone pro football. But it took a great GM (Rich McKay) and a great head coach (Dungy) and the franchise got turned into a perenial playoff team. But unless there are massive changes in that front office the Bengals will remain the Bungles for years to come.

Figrin D'an
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:36:55 PM
Well, if the lawsuit being filed against the Bengals goes to court, Mike Brown may finally be forced to make some changes or find his team without a place to play. Tagliabue has pretty much said the league office is going to stay out of it for now, and see what happens.

Jedieb
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:39:05 PM
Who's suing him? Fans? The city?

JMK
Dec 30th, 2002, 11:23:14 PM
They're so clueless they're probably suing themselves and haven't quite realized it yet.

JonathanLB
Dec 31st, 2002, 01:33:14 AM
I think the fans have a legal right to file a class action lawsuit for fraud ;)