PDA

View Full Version : Gandalf in Harry Potter?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 27th, 2002, 01:12:06 PM
Well it looks like that Ian Mckellan will be playing Dumbledore here is the story from IMDB

British acting knight Sir Ian McKellen will replace the late Richard Harris as Professor Albus Dumbledore in the third Harry Potter movie. The 63-year-old star, who also plays wizard Gandalf in the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, is set to appear in the third installments of both rival films - after signing to take on the role of the Hogwarts headmaster in Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban. McKellen takes over the role from Harris - who died of cancer in October. Movie bosses had hoped to cast Harris in the new film - which is due to begin filming in February - by using computer animation and film footage. But they found they did not have the required film available. Fellow Brit Christopher Lee - another Lord Of The Rings star - was among those tipped to replace Harris. A source on the Warner Bros movie set says, "Everyone has been sworn to secrecy about Ian McKellen getting the role of Dumbledore. One of the production staff let it slip and now it is spreading like wild fire. He got the part just before Christmas but Warner's won't announce it until the New Year. Bosses thought he was the perfect replacement for Harris and, as we all know, he is capable of playing the part of a wizard. They are not worried about people getting The Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter confused. They are two very different films."

There is also an article on the SUN
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2002600303,00.html
And the onering.net

I have to say I am really surprised and think its a perfect move, Mckellan could easily pull of that part he is such a great actor. I am surprised he took it after playing gandalf, but maybe he doesn't care about typecasting.

ReaperFett
Dec 27th, 2002, 02:26:01 PM
He's just trying to get in all the current big franchises ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:11:55 PM
Dollars speak.

CheapCheep
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:13:25 PM
McKellan has been quoted before as saying he wouldn't do it, it being rather too similar to the character of Gandalf and desiring to move on to different roles. Hmmm...i'd be very surprised, but anything is possible. :)

ReaperFett
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:19:09 PM
I doubt a 63 year old who has had a career in movies cares about money.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:28:01 PM
Wave enough cash and he will

Sanis Prent
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:39:10 PM
Name a recent movie in which he wasn't a sorceror in some sense of the term.

The only one that I can think of is Apt Pupil...which is just disturbing.

ReaperFett
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:44:55 PM
they cut those scenes ;)

CheapCheep
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:48:06 PM
From Ian's recent Eposts section of his website which can be found on http://www.mckellan.com

By the way the folks on theonering.net discussion boards are classifying the Sun as a tabloid.

Rumour, 14 November 2002:

"There's a rumour on the Net that Sir Ian is going to play Professor Dumbledore in the next Harry Potter movie, following the sad passing of Richard Harris. Is this true? It would be wonderful if it IS true, but I know how easily these rumours start, so I'm not getting too excited yet! Perhaps you could just let me know "officially"? (Maybe he doesn't want to be typecast as an elderly man with a flowing white beard!) Thanks."

Fact: Ian McKellen has NOT agreed to succeed the late Richard Harris in the role of Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies. He has expressed interest in perhaps playing a different role some time in the future of the series.

So perhaps as a differnt charactor, but probably not Dumbledore.

Sanis Prent
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:52:31 PM
I'd rather have Donald Sutherland, but they'll opt out on him because he's not British ;)

There's always Edward the Longshanks :)

ReaperFett
Dec 27th, 2002, 03:53:00 PM
This is recent though, as in last few days. Shame they couldnt do the CGI idea.

He's good though. I mean, he wants Magneto's kids in the X-Men series, as theyd work well. How many people actually KNOW his kids? He does his research :)

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:02:53 PM
McKellen could do it easily although I'd rather he didn't.

ReaperFett
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:04:16 PM
Why?

Admiral Lebron
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:24:12 PM
I know Magneto had a son. . .

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:24:54 PM
Wasted talent. I want to see him in different roles in new movies. Then again, there is "Emile" but in any case, this was posted at mckellen.com yesterday, December 26th.

"Fact: Ian McKellen has NOT agreed to succeed the late Richard Harris in the role of Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies. He has expressed interest in perhaps playing a different role some time in the future of the series."

Also, I discovered that "Dance of Death" is coming to the Lyric Theatre, London from the 20th February next year. McKellen will reprise the role from his Broadway performance alongside Frances de la Tour. As such I will be visiting London for perhaps a week or two and will definately go see this twice. Once will not be enough.

ReaperFett
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:32:57 PM
Shouldnt you see it once, THEN decide? :)

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:33:59 PM
It's Ian McKellen on stage. I have already made my decision. :D

ReaperFett
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:42:29 PM
He might just be like that person on the fast show who says "I was very, VERY drunk" :)

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:45:54 PM
And I have no idea what that means. :p

ReaperFett
Dec 27th, 2002, 07:47:26 PM
He basically rambles incoherently, before ending on that :)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:37:42 PM
The Sun is a tabloid the only reason I gave it any clout was that IMDB was reporting it and I thought they would check out the story before reporting I guess I was wrong there. Oh well, I doubt Mckellan will play that role my guess would be he will play Moody who is in Book 4 that part seems perfect for him, if he wants to play a different character (unless he wants to play Voldemort) Personally I think Peter O'Toole would be perfect for Dumbledore he looks like Harris. I also heard a rumor about Max Von Sydowd who I guess could pull it off.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 28th, 2002, 05:25:37 AM
McKelland playign Moody! Brilliant! That would rule!

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 28th, 2002, 03:09:46 PM
I agree too, he would fit for the part, IMO. I wish they cast Dumbledore already, I hope it will be O'Toole and I would cast Tim Roth for Sirus Black, not sure who to pick for Lupin, all the Harry Potter fans want McGregor, but I think he is booked for Star Wars there.

JonathanLB
Dec 29th, 2002, 06:27:49 AM
Ok sorry this is stupid but I had to point it out.

The thread just above this when I was reading the forum said:

"Did anyone else see..."

and then this title, "Gandalf in Harry Potter?" and it being so late I was like, "WTF? Gandalf in Harry Potter?!" ;)

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2002, 07:15:42 AM
I hate thread titles like that for the reason we dont know what its on about :)

JonathanLB
Dec 29th, 2002, 09:54:44 AM
True, but it's a MYSTERY! ;)

Sejah Haversh
Dec 31st, 2002, 03:39:53 PM
Dude, Peter O'Toole would be a very interesting choice for that part. I would personally rather see him than Ian in the role, myself.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 31st, 2002, 09:00:34 PM
I would like to see O'toole but now there is another rumor Michael Gambon from Sleepy Hollow and Gosford Park. He is a very good actor and could pull it off easily, but right now I think I will wait till WB announces it.

Jedieb
Dec 31st, 2002, 11:02:34 PM
I love Peter O'Toole! The man's gotten snubbed at the Oscar so many times you might as well call him Lucci. I think he might have slept with a slew of Academy member's wives to get passed over so many times.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 1st, 2003, 12:47:48 AM
LOL Jedieb he has won an emmy for Joan of Arc at least he has won something.