PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, this whole Christmas thing...

Diego Van Derveld
Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:33:17 PM
Alright, its the "holiday season".

Means a lot of things for different folks. Christmas was derived and evolved from pagan holidays celebrating the winter solstice. Under Christianity, it became Christ's Mass, through the Roman Catholic Church, to recognize Jesus's birth and life. Traditions largely remained the came. The holiday was festive, and full of celebration. For Protestants, the holiday wasn't recognized by the church until the 19th century, long after the traditions of Christmas had made it into their way of life.

To be honest, the year of Christ's birth is not known, much less the date. It's also irrelevant. Whether he was born on December 25th or July 12th, this is when I take time to celebrate His coming. In addition, a myriad of traditions are also practiced, to strengthen the bonds of friends and family alike. Though these traditions trace their origins to ancient pagans, I adopt and extend them, in the name of Jesus.

This is not a preach. Each of us has to decide where we stand on the issue...alone. But on the eve of this holiday, I want to extend my best wishes and good feelings to all of you. Too often, its easy to get bogged down in the menial motions of everyday life, and its easy to be aloof and unkind. I've likely upset more than one of you on more than one occasion. I'd like to take the time in this post to do what Jesus would do, and extend my best to all of you. Despite whether we have minced words or not, I wish you all a very merry Christmas. Take the time to remember everything you cherish. Call your friends. Call your family. The only condition to my goodwill message is that you make it contagious. If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then spread it in His name. If not, spread it nevertheless.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:25:07 PM
And have a Good and blessed Christmas to you as well.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:46:36 PM
If not, spread it nevertheless.

Keep your religion to yourself kthxbye.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:09:32 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!

Navaria Tarkin
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:10:48 PM
MUAH! :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:12:04 PM
and happy hannukah three weeks ago, and merry kwanza too... ^_^;

Kyle Krogen
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:15:59 PM
merry christmas and a happy new year

Figrin D'an
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:58:57 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Keep your religion to yourself kthxbye.

I think he was referring to spreading a message of goodwill regardless of one's belief in Christianity or not... and I see no problem with that.

Christmas, to me, is all about family. It's about being with your loved ones, exchanging goodwill, reminiscing about years gone by and catching up with those you may not have an opportunity to see very often. I cherish my family's annual gathering on December 25th, and I hope to be a part of many more in the years to come.

For all of you that will be celebrating Christmas on Wednesday, be it for religious or secular reasons, may your day be joyous and fulfilling. To everyone that reads this... regardless of your chosen holiday, or if you celebrate no holiday at all this time of year, I wish you all health, heart and happiness. :)

As cliched as it may seem, "Peace on Earth and good will toward men" is something that we all can hold in our thoughts, regardless of creed. I know that I certainly will... I hope all of you will as well.

Diego Van Derveld
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:29:04 AM
I think he was referring to spreading a message of goodwill regardless of one's belief in Christianity or not

Exactly. Its not like everybody who does the Christmas thing does it for the reasons of the religion. I understand this. However, there is an underlying humanitarian message in the celebration, and that is to extend the best to all around. I'm not out trying to guilt trip people into my religion...only to remind people to maybe be gracious to their fellow man.

Emily Rochette
Dec 24th, 2002, 07:03:37 AM
Personally, I don't like Christianity. Both for some of its beliefs, hypocricy, and for what it's caused in the past.

But be that as it may, I don't have a problem with people talking about it, so long as they're open to other ideas.

I celebrate Yule (the Winter Solstice), as a religious holiday, although this is primarily a holiday I celebrate with friends, since my family is heavily lutheran and would most like ly sooner disown me than accept that I believe in the Pagan dogma.

With family, I simply think of Christmas as a time where things look pretty, and you get cookies, and more sleep, and Gimme Presents Day occures. ^_^;

Oriadin
Dec 24th, 2002, 09:24:56 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
I think he was referring to spreading a message of goodwill regardless of one's belief in Christianity or not... and I see no problem with that.

Christmas, to me, is all about family. It's about being with your loved ones, exchanging goodwill, reminiscing about years gone by and catching up with those you may not have an opportunity to see very often. I cherish my family's annual gathering on December 25th, and I hope to be a part of many more in the years to come.

For all of you that will be celebrating Christmas on Wednesday, be it for religious or secular reasons, may your day be joyous and fulfilling. To everyone that reads this... regardless of your chosen holiday, or if you celebrate no holiday at all this time of year, I wish you all health, heart and happiness. :)

As cliched as it may seem, "Peace on Earth and good will toward men" is something that we all can hold in our thoughts, regardless of creed. I know that I certainly will... I hope all of you will as well.

This is exactly the same way I feel and so id also like to wish everyone a very merry christmas.

Ki-Adi Kindo
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:10:28 AM
It doesn't matter how you look at something, people. In the end, you cannot ignore the truth, the truth that this holiday in which we take so much pleasure was made so well known by the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Alpha
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:19:08 AM
Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you guys too! :)

Alana Stormcloud
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:23:13 AM
Merry Xmas Charley, and a happy new year :) To everyone on the boards... Huggles to all... Though I subscribe to just enjoying Christmas, and it not being the Day of Christ’s birth. I hope you all have a wonderful Holiday and enjoy the things life has brought you... Merry Christmas everyone... You have all been wonderful, and though there have been some rough spots at times, I have more than enjoyed rping with you guys, and all of you in some way , be it just reading threads or writing with you, have made this an experience I will never regret or forget. I hope we can all keep writing together and make this a wonderful place to be for us, and the new people that come in... :p

God bless :) love Holli

Emily Rochette
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:49:22 PM
Actually, Kindo, I believe nowadays, the holiday is more well known because of Santa Claus. ^_^;

I don't mean that in an offensive way, but if you think about it, hardly anyone, minus those from very religious families, think about Jesus as the center of Christmas, anymore. Heck, when I was growing up, I didn't know anything about Jesus. I always thought Santa was the one responsible for all of Christmas.

And in all honesty, that comment managed to raise a bit of rage. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because, yes, Jesus, if he did in fact exist, was a good man. A nice man, maybe. But I don't believe in him as so many others do. And I tend to shun away from Christinanity because I want to avoid things like that. I really hate having someone else's beliefs shoved down my throat.

..My little rant is over. Happy Holidays. ^^

Ryla Relvinian
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:17:45 PM
Take heart, Emily. Many so-called Christian practices regarding Christmas are heavily based in Pagan tradition. Trees, holly, red and green, a jolly fat man and reindeer... So much of what your family celebrates can be traced to the same holiday you celebrate. Still, there are a lot of good things about Christianity, so I'd urge you not to discredit it before you explore all possible aspects.

For me, my family migrates from Oregon to Maui for 11 days every year covering Christmas and New Years. I like that tradition just fine. Talk about relaxation, we don't get big presents for each other, just a book maybe, or something small and handmade, but we do get warm beaches, palm trees and shave ice. Everyone has their own traditions, and that is what makes Christmas so great. We set aside our differences and just think on the season.

Emily Rochette
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:20:00 PM
I'm not discrediting it, Ryla. I'm simply saying that Christmas isn't all about Jesus anymore. Which it's not.

Ryla Relvinian
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:24:12 PM
Ah yes, but it also wasn't all about Jesus to begin with, at least in practice. Neither were a lot of holidays, if you check them out.

Still, the decisions are up to you what you want to believe. I'm not telling you what you can and cannot think. That's your business. :)

Diego Van Derveld
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:55:48 PM
I'd ask that this thread not be used to argue over Christmas, please. Re-read it if you need the purpose again. I'm not getting into an argument over beliefs, so don't use this as a pretense. Thank you.

Andraq Novkar
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:19:00 PM
I myself, am sadly not in the Christmas Spirit. My whole family is though, especially my mom. She usually has it rough around Christmas cause of her past with her mom and dad, but still.

I don't know why, I'm not really that anxious, I pretty much know what I am getting. I should feel happy and the like and celebrate and such, but I just don't feel like it. I am a christian and I do celebrate Christ's birth, and I will do that tomorrow.

But I think Christmas for me has lost it's glitter, at least right now it has.

Emily Rochette
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:40:04 PM
It doesn't feel like it should be Christmas tomorrow.. x.x;;

And sorry, Charley. ><;; I'll shush.

Ki-Adi Kindo
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:26:33 PM
Sadly Emily, you're right about the whole Santa issue.

Sorry Charley, didn't mean to get something started or hijack your thread.

Synteck
Dec 25th, 2002, 02:56:14 PM
happy new year