PDA

View Full Version : GJO Awards, We Doing It This Year?

Sage Hazzard
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:26:04 AM
Remember last year? We had the first annual GJO Awards. It was supposed to be announced who the winners were on New Years day. I was in charge and I believe I dropped the ball. So the awards were a bust and no one knew who won.

Well, if someone else tallies them than it might work. The catagories were too hard to remember. Pretty much best "character", "rper", "writer", "villian", "jedi", "sith", "non affiliated", and "newcomer". Probably a few more but that was the gist.

So, what do you think?

Sameer Aryan
Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:17:40 PM
Sounds really cool, so you guys made like a couple of polls?

(Aren't we kinda short on time? LOL)

Xazor Elessar
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:04:52 PM
Don't forget best Couple! ;) :lol

Yeah, we should do it...especially now that we have the poll system! :D We could draw it out past the newyear too.. :)

Morgan Evanar
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:22:27 PM
I didn't like the idea last year, and I don't like it still.

Honestly, just go out and do an RP or Photoshop some sigs...

Ki-Adi Kindo
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:23:02 PM
This sounds awesome... can't wait to see it!

What's the problem with it, Morgan?

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:29:03 PM
There's a lot wrong with it.

Agreed with Meanie Head. I dont like the idea either. Spend your time doing something cool, rather than what always turns into a <smallfont color=#33CCFF>-Censored-</smallfont> waving, self saucing society and does more to piss people off than anything else positive

Nathanial K'cansce
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:29:33 PM
Mmm, popularity contest. *drools*

Sanis Prent
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:00:47 AM
Agreed...these things never work very well.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:23:34 AM
yep, ppl get pissed over themselves or their favorite not getting picked everytime....

Syrius Cline
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:50:03 AM
It wasn't that big a deal last year. I'm really not in favor of it, or against it. I'm just bringing it up in case someone wants to do it, since the time is fastly approaching. Personally, I don't care. I probably won't be voting, absolutely won't be voted for, and won't be tallying the votes. Out of my hands. :)

Last year, I don't remember anybody complaining. Plus, everyone voted for the same people. I think we had no more than two or three people voted for in any one catagory. Which kind of made it boring.

I believe the general cons about it are, people get in a popularity contest and get their feelings hurt if they don't win or their buddies don't. Actually I'm kind of against it. Since, and don't get mad about this, it seems that the same people win these things every time it's done. Not that they don't desearve it. It's just that the best seem to stay the best and so it's pointless to keep voting on it. Maybe in two or so years a voting can take place that might have a few new candidates.

Also, it seems the people that won last year are the same people that usually frown on this sort of thing. Kind of funny. :lol

Again, it's out of my hands. If someone's going to do it, it's not me. Last year we did it by e-mail. I guess this year it could be by poll. But I'm still not doing it. I'm drifting more towards Sanis', Morgan's, and Marcus' point of view on this one. Although I haven't really ever seen an uproar of people upset about the outcomes. Then again I never chat and don't often talk with many people OOC in privacy.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:52:58 AM
in my experience, the annoyances were generally aired in aims not the boards....can't tell ya how many ppl would complain over certain ppl getting the votes.....personally I don't care, never been voted for or even nominated so peh to it all imo.....

Syrius Cline
Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:04:34 AM
Hmm, like I said I don't know that world. I can't chat. If that's the case than I'm against it. I guess I was blind to what happened outside of my knowledge. Sorry.

Like I said though, this is not MINE. So anybody that wants to run with it, be my guest. Although you might need permission from the admins to do it, since they're against it. Are you not wanting this guys, or are you just saying you're not endorsing it or approving of it? Would you not want it on these boards, if someone posted them?

Oriadin
Dec 23rd, 2002, 03:31:41 AM
Im gonna add my weight to the conversation by saying....

I sit on the fence over this one. I think it would be kinda cool to get recognised for being good here but then it can cause ill feeling amoung people. If someone gets missed out or feel they should have been nominated but didnt win or something then it could perhaps put them down. Probably safer not to have the award thingie but really im not that fussed either way.

Helenias Evenstar
Dec 23rd, 2002, 03:39:27 AM
It is a bit of a poularity contest, isn't it? Not sure if that's a good thing.

If you really wanted an awards thingie, then make it not serious, with silly catagories. Otherwise I would see there would be egos at 20 paces or cliques block voting.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:21:29 AM
:thumbdown

Dae Jinn
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:44:36 AM
I could see it working if it was some hiliarious catagories, but not Best Rp, Best Writer, etc.

Everyone here is a great rper, or they wouldn't be here IMO. Don't need some non-award (since it's only in a post...lol) to prove it. I totally agree with Helen on this one.

So, maybe if you can think of some funny catagories for it, then it work out better for everyone.:) It's kinda like communism :lol The basic Idea is good, but people and their emotions muck it up. lol.....

ReaperFett
Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:36:07 PM
Anyone who dislikes it just thinks they wont win, so want to poo-poo the idea early ;)

Noone made a big deal last time, so arguments saying they would appear void to me.

The only thing Id say though, is you need more than best RPers. Id suggest:

Most Helpful Poster

Most humourous IC character

Most humourous OOC person

Funniest RP

The Sanis Prent award for capably managing a wide variety of different characters

Most intresting RP idea

Destiny Stormrider
Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:45:46 PM
Go Reaperfett!!! :D

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:07:03 PM
Anyone who dislikes it just thinks they wont win, so want to poo-poo the idea early

Riiigggghhhhhtttt. Or maybe can see what would happen. And I might point out there WAS concern - you might not have seen it but I did. Straight out, it's a popularity contest, or that is what it will turn out to be.

A silly and non serious awards would avoid that to a degree. Best gratuitious use of a fart in a serious RP is the type of silliness I think of.

ReaperFett
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:16:31 PM
Riiigggghhhhhtttt. Or maybe can see what would happen. And I might point out there WAS concern - you might not have seen it but I did. Straight out, it's a popularity contest, or that is what it will turn out to be.
And I might point out the ;) makes it a jest :)

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:36:38 PM
A humorous, light-hearted one, yes. I can't abide the use of the word "best" when it comes to these sort of things really.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:16:56 AM
There is no best. Everyone here has strengths and weaknesses, as do all writers.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:33:22 AM
I like those suggestions Fett made.

Something meant to be funny like that would work :)

Darius Van-Derveld
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:24:03 AM
Best Attempt at Spawning a Family to Take Over The Entire Board, Meras Included?

Van-Dervelds

But seriously-humourously:

Funniest CT?

Most Prolific Poster [aka, the Spam Award]?

i dunno, but it could be fun

Ryla Relvinian
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:04:16 PM
I love this idea of silly awards... and to suggest a few more, why not have some be forum-specific. For example, Most helpful recruiter in the Recruitment center, or Most creative training session, an award reserved for padawans. That way the most people from all categories are included. That's a great way to get people to stay as well, tell them they are good at something.

Also, to keep the favoritism to a minimum, how about only being able to be nominated for two or three categories, that way, any one person could only possibly win two or three awards.

Best signature/CT maker, Overactive smiley award, even Quickest to a panning could be one!

ReaperFett
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:07:41 PM
I like the most helpful recruiter one too. I think it's good that people who put an effort in for the new and unknowing ones get a little bit of credit.

Ryla Relvinian
Dec 24th, 2002, 01:10:49 PM
Even a Most interesting first post could work for the recruitment center.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:07:14 PM
I dunno who has the time to read a year worth of threads?

Ryla Relvinian
Dec 26th, 2002, 02:40:45 PM
True... Well, let's just act like the special olympics and give everyone a "ya done good" award.