PDA

View Full Version : Documentaries: Bowling for Columbine, Shadows of Motown

JonathanLB
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:13:25 AM
I saw Bowling for Columbine and Standing in the Shadows of Motown today.

Bowling for Columbine is Michael Moore's new documentary ("new" as in this year). I really enjoyed his other two that I saw, Roger & Me and The Big One. He's really liberal, but incredibly funny anyway, and his points are actually *mostly* really good and really relevant, no matter your political beliefs.

It's just a great film, super funny, well produced, great music, and got one of my 13 four-star ratings of 2002. It is the year's best documentary.

Standing in the Shadows of Motown (I was going to see this earlier) was also very good, a nice 3.5 star effort. I really enjoyed it. Not a great film, but worthwhile if you get the chance to see it, perhaps more of a rental for some people because I guess they're not as likely to go see documentaries in theaters.

I also watched Spirited Away at my local art house theater downtown. It is, for the record, now THE HIGHEST GROSSING movie in Japan. It kicked Titanic's @$$ clear out of that #1 spot once and for all. That alone puts it on my worthy films list. ;) It was very good, though, I thought. I wasn't as ecstatic as other critics, like Ebert, and it was very weird, maybe a bit too weird for me, but I thought it was really imaginative and the animation is remarkable. In a year with only decent animated films (I think I saw them all), Spirited Away is the best animated film of the year, though I only gave it 3.5 stars. I haven't seen Princess Mononoke, another film by this director, but I own it and want to watch it soon. I guess it is an absolute masterpiece, from what I hear, hehe.

My mom didn't care for Spirited Away at all, but oh well. She thought it was "dumb," to quote her. Basically I think it was too weird for her. It's not for everyone. To me, it had a few problems, but oh well, I was willing to forgive them for the creative nature of the film and the excellent animation.