PDA

View Full Version : Question about when EU and SWFans splits

Taylor Millard
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:33:46 AM
Meaning Timeline wise...I always took it as right after 'The Thrawn Trilogy- Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command' that SWFans and the EU's timeline split from each other.

Hence why Carida still exists in SWFans when it was destroyed in EU.

Is that what everyone else goes by?

Just curious is all.

Jeseth Cloak
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:40:23 AM
Well... that's what I go by.

ReaperFett
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:30:07 AM
I dont see anything at all. For example, if we did that, Isard would have to be RPed differently. There would NO WAY be so many Sith. Or Jedi, for that. And how would the Yuuzhan Vong have helped split the Empire?

I see it that basically we go anywhere we want. OUR timeline goes through normally, be we link with the EU timeline whenever we want to.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:14:00 PM
I run by everything happened up to and including Zahn's first books, then the rest of the EU can go and kiss the <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> of Jar Jar. I also tenfd to put myself 50 years + of ROTK

Sanis Prent
Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:49:12 PM
Too bad that's a different genre altogether. No wonder you're in your own little world :p

Pierce Tondry
Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:56:04 PM
It does explain the LOTR fetish, though. :)

Figrin D'an
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:14:42 PM
I've always kind of been similar to Marcus in that I think of things as being 50+ years out from ROTJ... well after all of the existing EU stuff.

Sanis Prent
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:24:45 PM
My mindset has been 15 years past ROTJ. 50, IMO, is a bit extreme, and the galaxy we RP in would be drastically different from what we see in canon

ReaperFett
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:40:42 PM
Marcus puts himself with Hobbits it appears ;)

For me, setting after TTT (The THrawn Trilogy, NOT THe Two Towers ;)) is a poor place to set, as youre not really set anywhere. The majority of the Imp fleets are going to Byss, you have one Jedi. To start there means this sudden jump. That's whay I like my way. By following a set place, you CANT have Chiss named (We never found their name out), no Ssi-Ruuk (Wiped out), nothing from the prequels (Might be destroyed)...

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:06:51 PM
Fett, I might be 50+ years beyond ROTJ, but the only thigns I count 100% is the movies. That to me is a great base to work from - enoough time to have thing happen and change, while having a good time line grounding. Plus, I dont really get affected by the prequels. And after that, the timeline and event stream just does what we want it too

Figrin D'an
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:13:56 PM
I don't know... I think 15 years is too close to the original trilogy timeline... especially when you consider the Jedi and any Dark Side factions. That seems like far too short a time for all of those groups to show up and swell in numbers.

I mean, I don't use a lot of EU in my RPing, but considering that many people do, and that there is a lot of EU material written that encompasses even 15 years post-Endor, it seems a bit easier to push our timeline further into the future rather than deal with any contradictions. It's still within the Star Wars universe, but it gives us a bit more of a clean slate to work with for our purposes.

ReaperFett
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:30:40 PM
Does it matter? I never state dates, most dont. WHy do we need to be so precise?

Sanis Prent
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:16:54 PM
Well, from what I see...we aren't, so I doubt it does.

Zasz Grimm
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:26:08 PM
I've never really referred to the date, as stated earlier, why be precise now?

Only time I've ever used anything is when I refer to the past, such as I am doing in my current thread in ST.

Figrin D'an
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:54:43 PM
No, it really doesn't matter, but since the topic was brought up, it makes for an interesting debate and accounting of who uses what as points of reference.

ReaperFett
Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:12:42 AM
Well I take in everything, like or dislike, as it is fairer and more fun to people I RP with.

Oriadin
Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:25:16 AM
Ive never really thought about a timeline. Only that its after the OT movies as ive referenced the sequence of events in my posts before. Ive never read any EU so Ive only the films and what ive read from the net to go on. 50 years would sound about right to me though if I had to say a time.

Jehova Eaven
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:39:54 PM
But you have people who do refer to a timeline, lets say if you have a character who is supposed to be around the time of ROTJ like for example Han Solo, then you have people whom interact with him who are from around 60 years in the future. He still looks young too... how is this possible? I think there should be some sort of timeline to prevent inconsistencies.

ReaperFett
Dec 24th, 2002, 12:48:15 PM
TO make a static time stops the fun of people who like to RP in certain areas though.

Jehova Eaven
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:15:26 PM
Then are you saying that characters from different times shouldn't interact with one another? Because thats the only way I see myself RPing with someone whos from ROTJ time.

ReaperFett
Dec 24th, 2002, 02:30:34 PM
No no, Im saying SHOULD. That's why I like not having timelines