PDA

View Full Version : Terminator 3 Trailer Out!

Shawn
Dec 18th, 2002, 02:41:40 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/t3/

Looks really, really bad. Definitely waiting until video for this one.

Admiral Lebron
Dec 18th, 2002, 02:51:01 PM
Definatly.

ReaperFett
Dec 18th, 2002, 03:22:32 PM
Some corn with your trademark line Mr Schwarzenegger? :)

Aside from that, I liked the trailer. I see promise of some future fighting, which is a good thing :)

Mr. Happy
Dec 18th, 2002, 03:30:57 PM
Eh...looks like a cash-in to me. Nothing more.

I'll still go see it, if there's nothing noteworthy competing for my dollar.

Taylor Millard
Dec 18th, 2002, 04:56:50 PM
Ditto Charley. Ditto.

Figrin D'an
Dec 18th, 2002, 04:59:16 PM
I'll may see it in the theatre, simply because it IS Schwarzenegger after all. But I'm not expecting much...

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 18th, 2002, 10:29:08 PM
Bashir!! :)

Dae Jinn
Dec 18th, 2002, 10:33:02 PM
I saw this on ET the other night, it looks like a rental to me...Plus it has naked arnold....>_<

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 18th, 2002, 10:35:31 PM
Solaris had Naked George. I'm Curious about George no longer.

But nakey Arnold? Mud Arnold was much better...in Predator.

Dae Jinn
Dec 18th, 2002, 10:38:26 PM
I can see younger Arnold being naked, but not old man Arnold...Old people should wear lots and lots of clothes :)

And, I don't think George Clooney is that sexy :\

JMK
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:59:06 AM
I just watched the trailer, and I agree with Reaper, it doesn't look that bad to me. Infact it reminds me an awful lot of T2. I'll see it in theaters for sure.

Jedieb
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:19:08 AM
I'm downloading the trailer now but I have to say I'm surprised at the lukewarm reaction to it. I remember how big of a hit T2 was and how much buzz it created. If Arnold can't score with T3 then he might as well start his campaing for the governorship of California.

Oriadin
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:26:29 AM
I thought it looked cool and Im definitely going to see it at the cinema when its released. I loved the other two movies. The terminator films have always had that something special about them and have always offered something new to the film industry. I look forward to seeing if this one can do the same!

To the people that didnt think much of the trailer, I dont think there was much in it really. No real action scenes or anything. I think they are gonna wait a bit longer before hitting us with the big guns and showing us what this movie is capable of. Could be wrong of course :)

Dae Jinn
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:26:57 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I'm downloading the trailer now but I have to say I'm surprised at the lukewarm reaction to it. I remember how big of a hit T2 was and how much buzz it created.

I'd say you have to look at all the movies Arnold has done since T2 -- I can't really remember many of them. I did like T2 a lot though :\ I'm just thinking, how many more times does he have to save that John Connors guy??? :lol Why, if they can make such advanced terminators, do they keep sending Arnold back? In the future, they should just destroy the people making the good terminators, then no more sequels...:lol

ReaperFett
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:39:08 AM
True Lies and Eraser were great. And I enjoyed the last Action Hero.

And they send Arnie because they can only send what they have.

Jedieb
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:49:47 AM
No one should ever try to take time travel movies too seriously. There's loopholes to find in all of them. (Even Back to the Future and that series was awesome!) Just enjoy the show!

Oriadin
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:53:06 AM
the 6th day was brilliant too.

Dae Jinn
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:54:27 AM
I can't! I must have realistic story-lines! :lol

......I know, but you can have it so it makes SOME sense, even just a little....And that's only 2 Fett, he made much more than that. The older action stars aren't a big draw anymore, it seems :\

ReaperFett
Dec 19th, 2002, 11:00:36 AM
Dae, I now categorise all his films since T2:

Eraser (1996)
True Lies (1994)
Last Action Hero (1993)

DISLIKE
Batman & Robin (1997)

NOT AIMED AT ME
Junior (1994)
Jingle All the Way (1996)

SO SMALL YOU CANT CLASS
Dave (1993)

UNSEEN (Or not seen all)
Feed (1992)
Beretta's Island (1994)
Collateral Damage (2002)
Dr. Dolittle 2 (2001)
6th Day, The (2000)
End of Days (1999)
Junket Whore (1998)

and the two not aimed at me were alright.

Dae Jinn
Dec 19th, 2002, 11:03:59 AM
He was in Dr Dolittle 2? O_o :lol

I'm just not a big action fan I guess...or arnold fan :x I thought LAH was alright though, and T2.

Figrin D'an
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:05:18 PM
End of Days was total crap. I still want my $7.50 back from that one. Collateral Damage was decent, but not as good as some of his earlier stuff.

Diego Van Derveld
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:21:01 PM
End of Days was better than Collateral Damage, but I disliked both immensely

Figrin D'an
Dec 19th, 2002, 02:32:37 PM
I think the only reason I liked Collateral Damage better is that after End of Days, my expectations for any new Arnold film were in the gutter, so I wasn't quite as disappointed.

Admiral Lebron
Dec 19th, 2002, 02:39:21 PM
He was the male wolf in Dr. Dolittle 2. And I heard from Tom Arnold, that True Lies 2 is in the making...if they pull it off right... it could be good.

Jedieb
Dec 19th, 2002, 02:52:37 PM
Is T3 being directed by Cameron? It had a look to it that made me think it wasn't being directed by him.. I thought the trailer was decent, but not mind blowing by any standards. I didn't mind the line at the end, in fact you could see it a mile away. But most of Arnie's liners have been that way. He was on an incredible roll until LAHero. But ever since then he's been inconsistent. TL2 could be good. I'm surprised he hasn't hit that well already.

Commando is on HBO now. I love watching those old Arnie movies. His lines are downright hysterical. When he tells Sully "I lied" and then drops him off the cliff I'm in stiches.

ReaperFett
Dec 19th, 2002, 03:09:12 PM
I hear he is making a film with Stallone and Willis, where they each play their favourite composers. When asked by the director, Stallone instantly said "Mozart!", and Willis said "Beethoven!". The director then asks Arnie, who replied...

"I'll be Bach"

:)

Jackson DeWitt
Dec 19th, 2002, 03:11:45 PM
Fett, sometimes I wish we lived in Medieval times, when court jesters could be killed for jokes like that.

JMK
Dec 19th, 2002, 04:03:29 PM
:shootin @ Fett!

That's so sad. As if Sly likes classical.
;)

ReaperFett
Dec 19th, 2002, 04:20:18 PM
You didnt even smile? :)

JonathanLB
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:00:58 PM
I think you are all crazy. Just because one person starts the thread with a negative comment that represents, oh, 5% of moviegoers, everyone jumps on board and the best anyone can manage is, "Eh it doesn't look THAT bad to me."

No, it doesn't, it looks INCREDIBLY AWESOME! The first two Terminator films are among the 100 greatest sci-fi films ever made, easily four stars, if you can't even be troubled to see the third part in a trilogy where the first two movies were revolutionary, then I don't see how you can call yourself a movie fan. You at least have to give something a chance before you judge it, and the trailer hardly provides enough of an insight into the plot for that.

I think it's going to be dang awesome. Next summer can't come soon enough and I like the hot chick they have as the killer cyborg. That's just awesome.

Sanis Prent
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:36:17 PM
You're missing the point of a trailer then, Captain Limitless Funds. Look, I don't know how to make it any more plain, but if X is the number of movies released in a year, and Y is the price of admission per ticket, and Z is the average amount of disposable income available to your average working joe (ie. not you), then the equation looks like this, roughly:

X*Y > Z

That being said, is why trailers are made. Because normal people can't afford to arbitrarily watch every movie that comes out. Trailers have a finite amount of time to sell someone into watching a movie. Its a two minute sales pitch, if you will. You take the cream of a film's crop, condense it into an electrically-charged spiel with a good bit of music, and with all that, you try to hook people. When people say a movie looks like crap, they aren't using a crystal ball. They are going on what the trailer has given them. Now, this can go two ways. It can either be a total misrepresentation of the movie, and hurt the sales of a deserving film. Or...it can be true. Guess which one is statistically more probable?

The trailer was not that impressive to me. They had their sales pitch, and they missed their mark. Thats the way the cookie crumbles. I haven't sworn the movie off, so they're lucky, but its not a high priority. I realize this is like speaking greek to a phonecian, so I'm trying to make it plain for you.

Dae Jinn
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:43:47 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
You didnt even smile? :)

I did Fett :)

And, thank you Charley. :D

JMK
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:53:01 PM
Sorry Reap! :D :D :D

JonathanLB
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:56:11 AM
YOU are missing the point! A film that you've never heard of before and have nothing else to judge it by must sell to you through a two minute trailer because that's all it has.

This is no ordinary movie. In fact, it's as far from an ordinary movie as is humanly possible unless it was named "STAR WARS." If the trailer for Episode III was not particularly well done and had totally random, idiotic scenes with '70s disco music playing, would you avoid it just because the marketing department made a patheticly stupid trailer? No. It's Star Wars, it has credibility.

Same goes with Terminator 3. You don't have to have limitless funds like I do (haha) to want to see T3, you just have to be a movie fan in general. I'd say sci-fi fan, but no, plenty of non-genre fans love the Terminator films, especially the 2nd, which is also action oriented.

With the first two movies being as good as they are, who cares about the reviews, the trailers, or anything else? It's worth seeing because it is NAMED TERMINATOR 3! :) Of course it would be different if it had entirely different actors and nobody similar working on it, but that's not the case (I'm thinking of The Fast and the Furious 2, which is going to be stupid as hell because nobody who was in the first one will be in the second except maybe an extra or two who had 4 seconds of screen time but were blocked by someone else's head).

When I was a normal moviegoer and not a critic, I also chose my movies based on trailers, but that only applied for films that weren't 1) by great directors 2) didn't star major stars who I really like and 3) were not part of a great series or franchise. As in, the only reason I'd see something like Equilibrium as a normal moviegoer is because the trailer was unbelievably good. I hadn't heard of the director, it isn't something that was hyped at all, and although I like Christian Bale I wouldn't see a movie he was in if I hated the trailer (unless, like now, I was a critic).

I used to watch 15 movies a year in theaters and didn't spend much on them, which is fine. There is nothing wrong with that. It's when people who watch 15 to 30 movies a year start to make lists like "Best of 2002" and start to express opinions they have no right to have that makes me frustrated. Even I do not have the right to name the best films of 2002 yet because I've not seen a bunch of the "greatest films" that haven't opened yet. Same should go with anyone else. I hate seeing people pathetically try to put together top 5 lists from the 12 movies they watched this year, lol. "Uhhmmm Mr. Deeds was good, yeah, then Star Wars, then Two Towers, and... I guess that one with Christian Bale was cool, oh yeah Reign of Fire, and The Time Machine. Those are good, probably the best films, I didn't see much else good." LOL. Ugg leave the year end analysis for film experts, critics, and major movie buffs.

Same with a film like this that you've not even seen. Leave your judgment until you do see it. It may suck, this is true, it may be a stupid, cheap rip off that never should have been and may severely tick me off for ruining a great trilogy, but it could be an awesome movie like its two predecessors. You don't know from two minutes of film.

Oriadin
Dec 20th, 2002, 03:30:08 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I hear he is making a film with Stallone and Willis, where they each play their favourite composers. When asked by the director, Stallone instantly said "Mozart!", and Willis said "Beethoven!". The director then asks Arnie, who replied...

"I'll be Bach"

:)

:lol

That was brilliant

Jedieb
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:11:43 AM
Money isn't the only thing that keeps you from seeing a movie. Kids, jobs, and babysitters will drastically reduce your leisure time. Before my in-laws moved into the area a night at the movies would cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $80 ($15 for 2 tickets, $40 for dinner, $25 for a babysitter). That's a big jump from the $7.50 it would cost me if I were still in college. Even now a movie is still a major production in my house. You've got to get the kids dressed, don a gas mask while your significant other pollutes the atmosphere with hairspray and perfume, pick up the unrolled roll of toilet paper your daughter has dragged all over the house, etc. And there are the hidden costs that no man should be forced to pay. I got to see Die Another Day and our next movie will be TTT. That means one thing is for certain, eventually I'm getting dragged into a Sandra Bulluck chickmare that will haunt me for decades. :x

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:51:14 AM
On a side note, my favourite Arnie film to date is "Total Recall". I think it's a real classic sci-fi and has a great, intelligent plot. I don't think it's been mentioned yet though.

Sanis Prent
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:36:53 PM
Jon, if they can't sell an episode 3 trailer (which I find hard to imagine in the first place), then sure enough, I'll de-prioritize it. Yes, its Star Wars, and I'll see it, just as I'll likely see T3, but if they can't slap together something that gets a reaction from me for two measly minutes, that says a lot.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 20th, 2002, 03:32:36 PM
Hmmm... did everyone click on different links or what? I thought the trailer was awesome. It reminds me of T2 and True Lies. It has to be said though, I would see T3 no matter the trailer.

Sanis Prent
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:23:49 PM
I can't really argue a difference in opinion, so I'll just have to substitute a Michael Caine quote, with an alteration :)

There are only two things I can't stand...those who are intolerant of other people and their cultures...and Norwegians.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:29:18 PM

Dae Jinn
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:59:40 PM

harsh.....I'd have to agree; if you can't keep my interest for 2 mins, how do you expect me to stay interested for an hour and a half or more? o_O

Shawn
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:12:06 AM
No, it doesn't, it looks INCREDIBLY AWESOME! The first two Terminator films are among the 100 greatest sci-fi films ever made, easily four stars, if you can't even be troubled to see the third part in a trilogy where the first two movies were revolutionary, then I don't see how you can call yourself a movie fan.If you blindly think that a sequel is going to be good because the first two movies were, then may a greater power shepard you through the Valley of Darkness. I said I'll probably wait until it comes out on video, not that I won't see it at all.
You at least have to give something a chance before you judge it, and the trailer hardly provides enough of an insight into the plot for that.So I should see every single movie before deciding whether or not to see them? Sounds kind of contradictory to me. Trailers are advertisements, trying to sell you a product. If the advertisement doesn't look interesting, then I'm not going to buy the product.

I'm obviously in the minority that thinks the trailer looks uninspired, but the direction looks like a drastic step down from T2 (one of my favorite movies ever), to me.

The cheesy, psuedo-techno music at the beginning was a huge turn off, as was the casting for John Conner and the T-X.

Yes, I may change my mind when I see another trailer. But if this one is in any way representative of the final product (which it should be - that's what trailers are supposed to be), then I stand by my original statement: I'm waiting for video.

ReaperFett
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:41:04 AM
harsh.....I'd have to agree; if you can't keep my interest for 2 mins, how do you expect me to stay interested for an hour and a half or more?
Saw one trailer for FOTR, didnt intrest me. That kepy me intrested for 2 hours 58 or so more :)

And I never trust trailers. I have seem classic films have dire trailers, and Ive seen the opposite. Those who live by the trailer see all the turd :)

Shawn
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:43:18 AM
Then what should you go by? Hype?

I admit that I've seen movies that have surpassed / fell short of my expectations. But not very often. I tend to get a good feel for what movies I will or will not enjoy before I go to see them.

ReaperFett
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:45:06 AM
I go for what sounds good, or has something that Im intrested in. Sometimes fan hype may help. Boondock Saints I only ordered from the US because of people on a message board saying how great it is. I see it as a top 5 film now.

JediBoricua
Dec 21st, 2002, 10:25:35 AM
:lol @ Fett!

I admit I used your joke on a thread at my FanForce where we were discussing T3.

ReaperFett
Dec 21st, 2002, 11:45:19 AM
Im going to go look now you know :)

EDIT - It's wierd seeing something you said in a foreign language :)

Dae Jinn
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:02:10 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
Then what should you go by? Hype?

I admit that I've seen movies that have surpassed / fell short of my expectations. But not very often. I tend to get a good feel for what movies I will or will not enjoy before I go to see them.

I totally agree :) I also tend NOT to see the over-hyped films...not that I watch tons of films to begin with.

Oriadin
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:12:35 AM
Im lucky that Ive got the luxury of going to see all the movies I want for the same price as it would for me to see two a month. That means that I pretty much go to see everything.

Now, trailers are adverts, designed to make you go and see a movie. For AOTC though, I bet less than 2% of the people that went to see that, saw it because they thought the trailer looked good. They saw it because they like star Wars. I like the Terminator films and Id go and see it if the trailer just had TERMINATOR 3 written on the screen for 2 mins for the trailer. Just because I like the original 2. Films like this need no introduction. The trailer doesnt give much away, because simply, it doesnt have too.

One of my favorite films of all time is the Shawshank Redemption. It is consistantly in the top 4 for best ever films and for good reason. I saw the trailer to that and it gave me no real reason for me to go and see it. It looked very boring from the trailer I thought. Still do actually. I eventually saw the film when it was premiered on the TV only to be blown away by one of the greatest movies ever made. You cant judge a film by its trailer or by the hype in the same way you cant judge a book by its cover. You have to watch it to know and if you like the first two, then the chances are your gonna like the third.

Shawn
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:23:09 AM
You cant judge a film by its trailer or by the hype in the same way you cant judge a book by its cover. Correct. But you can judge whether or not you're interested enough to buy a book by the description on the back. :) Unless you just have enough money where you can afford to buy every book as soon as it comes out in hardcover.

In the case of T3, I'm going to wait for a paperback edition. ;)

Dae Jinn
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:27:08 AM

And, just because the first two films were good, doesn't mean this one isn't some piece of crap they put out to make more money :lol

ReaperFett
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:30:42 AM
Schwarzenegger wouldnt have done it purely for money, due to his respect for Cameron.

Dae Jinn
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:34:29 AM
Is cameron even directing this? I'm not saying Arnold specifically would be out for the money, but the film studio would be.

ReaperFett
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:59:05 AM
Cameron said no, Arnie said no. Then Arnie saw the script, and said yes.

Dae Jinn
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:00:28 AM
Ah, I see. Alrighty.

ReaperFett
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:01:31 AM
Well, he probably said "I'll be back", but there you go :)

Dae Jinn
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:06:54 AM

nice, fett, nice. :)