PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Future on DVD

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:34:46 PM
It came out today, probably won't get it until Christmas still I am happy its finally out, finally one of the big 3 triologies have made it on DVD :) Personally it is my second favorite series after Star Wars. I like all 3 films too, of course the first is the best but the second is cool with the whole alternative time thing, I really liked that whole plot. The Third was pretty good dealing with the Old West, I enjoyed some of the jokes especially about Clint Eastwood :p Also my favorite character of the series is still Doc Brown, Lloyd was brilliant in that part too bad, he has never been able to do anything close to that since (though he was great in Who Framed Roger Rabbit). And if anybody picks up the DVD let me know about the features, I have only heard great things about them but I still like to know.

JMK
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:24:25 PM
I'll probably be getting it a week from tomorrow too! :crack

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 17th, 2002, 05:03:44 PM
Back to the Future came out on DVD today?

* Blank Look *

Are you sure? I've had the box set for like two months

Shawn
Dec 17th, 2002, 05:26:45 PM
LOTR aside, there's another fantasy series I'd like to see adapted to film - the Sword of Truth. There's a character in the series who makes me think of Christopher Lloyd every time I read the books. I just picture him in that crazy headgear and go "Yep, that's Zedd". :)

I'll probably pick up the BTF trilogy eventually. Like, when I have cash. The first two were great, and the third wasn't horrible.

JonathanLB
Dec 17th, 2002, 05:54:59 PM
This just came out? S**t! I need to add this to my x-mas list, because I really like these movies.

I thought this was a later release, my bad. I have to get this.

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 17th, 2002, 06:01:32 PM
Personally, I was never that thrilled by the series of movies. Didn't think they were anything special despite their insane popularity. Can someone just give me some insight into what you enjoy so much about the BTF films?

And that isn't a sarcastic question, I'm serious here because I just found them quite average and I've never really liked Michael J. Fox as an actor.

JonathanLB
Dec 17th, 2002, 06:11:42 PM
As Ebert says, Fox is just about as likeable an actor as you can possibly imagine, so I don't know what you are talking about.

Back to the Future is certainly a lot better than Hairy Pothead.

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 17th, 2002, 06:24:50 PM
Sorry, let me rephrase my question: "Can someone who is going to give me an intelligent reply give me some insight into what you enjoy so much about the BTF films?"

Be grateful for my restraint.

Admiral Lebron
Dec 17th, 2002, 06:45:03 PM
He's got a point... but anyways. They are just enjoyable movies. Good plot, good acting (from most) good jokes.

JMK
Dec 17th, 2002, 07:02:02 PM
They're just incredibly fun movies, and seem to capture each period they explore very well, especially the 50's. They're very free-spirited movies, and Fox was loved probably more then than he is now.

Sejah Haversh
Dec 17th, 2002, 07:05:35 PM
They're fun, campy, silly, and just plain good. That's all I can really say. Though I personally liked III the best, the first two are great.

And Loki, perhaps you had to grow up in the States to fully enjoy them. I know I liked them, and they're new classics to me.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 17th, 2002, 11:41:42 PM
Well I like it for the reasons above too, also I love time travel films and this to me is the best. But like was said there are a lot of American qualities to it, especially the first film dealing with the 50's so I am not sure if the jokes work in other countries or not.

Taylor Millard
Dec 18th, 2002, 12:01:27 AM
It's the power of love Loki...the power of love. ;)

Besides...who hasn't wanted to own the Delorian?

Eluna Thals
Dec 18th, 2002, 12:16:10 AM
I was never really into them either.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 18th, 2002, 01:49:32 AM
Besides...who hasn't wanted to own the Delorian?

Up until I found out what crap cars they were, yes, boy did I want one

I still dont get it tho... BTTF has been out in Australia for two months. Surely this is not the first day it has been availible in the USA???

JMK
Dec 18th, 2002, 01:50:29 AM
I can see why some people don't like Star Wars, or LOTR, but I can't see why anyone wouldn't like BTTF. There's just so much charm to them...

ReaperFett
Dec 18th, 2002, 02:57:54 AM
And Loki, perhaps you had to grow up in the States to fully enjoy them.
Oh no we dont :)

Shawn
Dec 18th, 2002, 03:29:10 AM
As was mentioned, the BTTF films were very campy. They're not meant to be taken 100% seriously, and they tip-toe the line between full-out comedy and serious drama. I think Michael J Fox singing "Johnny B Good" has to be one of the most memorable moments in cinema.

Oriadin
Dec 18th, 2002, 03:29:52 AM
I second that. I live in the UK and I love the movies. Its intelligent and clever the way things change from doing things in the past and its just very cleverly put together. Fox had a great boyish charm. I remember wishing I could be just like him! Its funny, its action packed, its clever. Its just fun to watch. Thats all I can really say.

Mark, its been out here for some time now too. Not sure how long exactly but I saw it in the shops several weeks ago. On my priority list after christmas.

JonathanLB
Dec 18th, 2002, 06:54:19 AM
"I can see why some people don't like Star Wars, or LOTR"

I can't. I would be wary of anyone's film taste if they told me they didn't appreciate at least both LOTR films and at least the original trilogy of Star Wars films (if they didn't like TPM and AOTC, I'd just feel sorry for them, but that'd be that). There are some movies that just go to prove whether one person really understands film or really doesn't. If someone told me they thought Citizen Kane was a lousy film, I'd make note never to listen to them again about movies because that would clearly indicate to me they don't know a great movie when they see one. It's a different matter if they don't like a great film such as A Clockwork Orange, because I admit it is too controversial for some people and I can't expect everyone to appreciate it. But when you're talking about an obviously great film like Gone With the Wind, Doctor Zhivago, Citizen Kane, Star Wars, etc... I would not be looking to someone for advice who did not like these films. I wouldn't lose any respect for them as a person, of course, I just wouldn't be asking them for movie advice that's all. :)

Oriadin
Dec 18th, 2002, 09:40:15 AM
What would you say is your favorite film of all time then Johnathan and why?

I cant really decide on a single film. There are so many movies I love to bits and it just depends on what mood im in really. If I had to choose though, it would be out of Forrest Gump or Rocky I think.

Forrest Gump is a simple story about a simple man. Doesnt have much going for him and I get the feeling from the film that he is just living his life. Not really knowing what to expect next. Something everyone can relate too. The humour in the film is fantastic. Some of the jokes are superbly done and said at exactly the right time. There is nothing complicated about this film, but yet it manages to be very clever. You go through every emotion in the film. You feel happy, sad, romance, lust, anger, fear almost everything. The music is good, the acting is great and some of the ideas are excellent, for example the guy with the yellow face t-shirts. I just love this film. Its a classic.

Rocky is sheer class. The character I feel I can relate too. A down and out, nothing going for him kinda guy. Yet he still keeps going. Its all about the mans hopes and dreams and achiving those things. Sure, he had a bit of luck on the way but he grabbed that chance with both hands. Its the classic film of the underdog and I love those films usually anyway. The characters are fantastic. They all have very clear characteristics and everyone plays thier part brilliantly. Well deserved best film Oscar. Oh, and the music is excellent.

JMK
Dec 18th, 2002, 10:32:11 AM
I can't. I would be wary of anyone's film taste if they told me they didn't appreciate at least both LOTR films and at least the original trilogy of Star Wars films (if they didn't like TPM and AOTC, I'd just feel sorry for them, but that'd be that).
Jon, anyone should appreciate LOTR and SW for what they are, but it's completely separate from actually liking them. Droids, Orcs, Wizards and spaceships are not the favorite things of alot of people. They look at anything that isn't human and driving 4 wheels and roll their eyes. It's just not their thing. Or maybe they don't have the imagination for it, but these movies are so grand in the way they are made, they are simply too much for some people. It doesn't make them stupid, foolish, or unable to appreciate cinema, it's simply not their thing.

Sanis Prent
Dec 18th, 2002, 11:05:17 AM
Forrest Gump is a simple story about a simple man. Doesnt have much going for him and I get the feeling from the film that he is just living his life. Not really knowing what to expect next. Something everyone can relate too. The humour in the film is fantastic. Some of the jokes are superbly done and said at exactly the right time. There is nothing complicated about this film, but yet it manages to be very clever. You go through every emotion in the film. You feel happy, sad, romance, lust, anger, fear almost everything. The music is good, the acting is great and some of the ideas are excellent, for example the guy with the yellow face t-shirts. I just love this film. Its a classic.

Oriadin, the more you talk about movies, the more I find myself in agreement with you :) Even if Greensboro, Alabama doesn't exist, I love that movie :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 18th, 2002, 10:32:48 PM
No Civil War reenactments, and no podunk towns. Of course it isn't really Alabama! ;)

I'm just joking...

don't hurt me Charley....:cry

You did say that every movie about Alabama was about a podunk town though.

And WHO DOESN'T LOVE LIEUTENANT DAN!? :mad ;)

Diego Van Derveld
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:02:22 AM
"Greensboro" is a podunk town, fictional as it may be. Fortunately, Forrest Gump is good, along with My Cousin Vinny. Incidentally, the county that movie is based on is also fictional.

Darth23
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:27:55 AM
Back to the Future us a Great movie

Michael J Fox aka Alex Keaton, , everybody's favorite 80's yuppie cool guy has loser, dweeby-parents and loser-dweeby siblings.

With the help on an eccentric inventor he goes back into time and turns his dweeby-loser father into a cool guy. He also invents Rock and Roll. A perfect history lesson for the clueless masses.

When he comes 'back to the future' his family are all cool people, and he has deftly avoided becoming a dweeby loser himself, even though karma, or dramatic irony should have lead [u]s to that ending.

Instead he gets a Yuppie Survival Vehicle - excuse me an S-U-V in the garage.

Oh yeah, there's Evil Lybian terrorists in it. (Remeber the good old days when the Official State Enemy was Muammar Kadhafi and we were providing military assistance to Saddam Hussein since he was killing those evil Iranians?)

I can just feel the nostalgia.

Can a "Revenge of the Nerds" boxed set release be far behind?

Porky's, maybe?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:34:51 AM
Yeah Darth, I forgot you didn't like it :p

Oriadin
Dec 19th, 2002, 04:44:32 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Oriadin, the more you talk about movies, the more I find myself in agreement with you :) Even if Greensboro, Alabama doesn't exist, I love that movie :)

Well thats good. Im glad to see someone has similar feelings towards films as me :)

To be honest, there arent many films I dont enjoy seeing at least once. Most films have at least something I like about them. I love movies though. I have a cinema pass that allows me to go as often as I like for £10 a month so if I can I go to the cinema about two or three times a week. Ive seen almost every film worth watching at least once since about 1996

Darth23
Dec 19th, 2002, 02:05:07 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Yeah Darth, I forgot you didn't like it :p

U should see my Jurassc Park review.

:evil :evil :evil