PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Trades

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:16:14 PM
Well its that time the Winter meetings and the trades are beginning, yesterday there were 3 the Red Sox aquired the other Giambi from the Phillies for a pitching prospect, Rey Ordonez got sent to Tampa, and Durazo from Arizona got sent to the A's in a three team trade. Now these are minor but there could be a couple of biggies, unfortuntely JMK its your team that might be trading away the parts. They are trying to get the Red Sox and Yankees into a bidding war for Colon. So far it hasn't worked both teams have balked over the price tag. For the Yankees they wanted to have Johnson, OF Rivera (down in AAA) and Hernadez, but the Yankees would have to pay Hernanez contract for next season that would hurt because it would put them way over the Luxury Tax. For Boston they wanted Hillenbrand, Fossum and another prospect but Boston would have to take Tatis contract which is riduclous and the Red Sox said no way. So now I have no clue what is going to happen. I am hoping the Sox could get Colon over the Yankees because that would make them even better. The Sox seem to want Vaquez (sp) more I guess because he is younger. Any news from the north, JMK?

Jedieb
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:18:58 PM
Is anyone holding their breath on Steinbrenner's promise to bring down his payroll?:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:25:17 PM
I wouldn't be, he will probably have to pay that tax like it or not. The main problem is they are clutter with terrible contracts, and nobody wants them. They have been trying to get rid of Mondesi, White, Hitchcock, and a few others but they can't get rid of them. And it gets worse for them they got rid of two of their better relief pitchers (Stanton and Mendoza) because of those issues, and its possible that the Sox might sign Mendoza which would be great for me :p They also had to resign Ventura because it looks like their great 3b of the Future Drew Henson will never be ready (he is hitting below 250 at AAA level he should have stayed in football the idiot) So the Yankees have problems, Steinbrenner might think get Colon for one year will get the a World Series, really though they should just rebuild they have a great farm system, messing that up would be a mistake that will cost them in the future.

JMK
Dec 16th, 2002, 05:18:30 PM
I'm not surprised that the Expos are going to be ripped apart again. It's only the umpteenth time in my life that it's happened.
This is the reason for thousands upon thousands of disenchanted, jaded in Montreal, and the result is poor attendance. Why bother going if you know the team will be stripped anyway?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 16th, 2002, 10:33:43 PM
Well so far neither Boston or New York is biting, I don't think anything will happen until Friday at the earliest. Also Montreal could go into this season and see how they do heck with Atlanta falling apart, they lost Glavine and Maddux might not come back. Picking up Hampton I think will be a disaster for them and with the Braves will sink. The question who will win the division the Mets or the Expos or Philadelphia one of those teams could win it. So if I was Montreal I would hold on to these players until midseason than they could start trading some before the trading deadline if they have to.

JMK
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:30:27 PM
It's up to MLB and Butt Selig as to whether or not the Expos get to keep their team. I think Philadelphia will be a tough team next year with Thome in the lineup to protect Bobby Abreu and the other slugger guy they have. They need more pitching though, and moving into a new stadium may help them, or it could hinder them.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:46:29 PM
The Phillies have a good team, they could win the division right now. I am not high on the Braves, they are morons for taking Hampton over Glavin or Maddux, Hampton is done, he stinks he pitched worse away from Coors field (I think an ERA over 6) so it had nothing do with the air. Also it looks like Boston might keep Floyd, unless he signs with the Dodgers, if that happens we might sign Jeff Kent from what I read, Either way we will have a pretty good lineup and better pitching especially if we bring in Mendoza.

JMK
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:23:51 PM
Why would anyone want Kent in their lineup? His stats have been inflated for years because of batting in front of Bonds. He's also apparently a cancer in the clubhouse.