PDA

View Full Version : Dae's Holiday Tip

Dae Jinn
Dec 14th, 2002, 08:32:01 PM
Okay, I'm sure a lot of you are too young to be grocery shopping, but this can apply to any store.

I work at a grocery store. This is one of the busiest times of the year, since it's christmas and we tend to have big sales during the holidays. Anyways...
The next time you are out shopping, please please, try to be polite to your cashier/sales person! I know, this might sound dumb, but there are so many rude and nasty people out there!

We don't like when you get in line and then wander off to find that one thing you forgot. We don't like when you complain that you have to buy bags, or prices are wrong (WE DON'T DO THE SCANNING -- WE DO NOT SET THE PRICES!!) or other things that are not in our job description. We don't like being treated as if we are stupid and don't know how to do our jobs. We aren't babysitters, so please watch your kids when you bring them along (there are SO many parents who let their kids run around the store and don't watch them!) Don't let your baby cry and cry while you pack your groceries -- this REALLY bothers me and it makes you look like a horrible parent :\

Most of us don't make enough money to put up with half the stuff we do. :lol And sometimes it's the nice customers who make our day a little bit better while we're at work. Just had to get that out...:lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 14th, 2002, 08:41:42 PM
Preach it, sista!

Silus Xilarian
Dec 14th, 2002, 08:43:45 PM
Shes right....

What you really dont wanna do is be mean to the person bagging your groceries..

I had this horrid job for a bit, and it amazed me how picky and just plain rude people are. One lady actually let me bag her whole order in paper, then turned around and told me to bag it in plastic....she had two cartfuls of groceries and a really snobby attitude. What most people dont realize just who they might be getting rude with (as she didnt)...

This is when you get home and find your bread mashed underneath a 12 pack of soda, your eggs crushed beneath a gallon of milk, or lighty packaged produce bagged with pesticides and/or cleaning fluids...(as she had happen to her)

Point being, most the the people that work in grocery stores are severely underpaid, and under enough stress as it is...with the holiday crowds, rude customers are asking for retribution...

Dae Jinn
Dec 14th, 2002, 08:48:28 PM
I tend to call people nasty things under my breath....:) Some of the requests I've gotten are weird or just plain stupid. Last week a woman yelled in my face because I couldn't do a refund. Then a man didn't want to use his debit card because someone might see his PIN from FOUR FEET AWAY!!!! >_< There are days when I just want to yell "<smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> IT! I QUIT!" and storm out...too bad I need money ^_^;

Silus Xilarian
Dec 14th, 2002, 09:08:15 PM
One guy got loud with a cashier (who i was dating at the time) saying she overcharged him for something....So i rolled my eyes and checked it....the scanner was right, the customer was wrong...So he insisted that i show him the price tag...So i took him back...

when we got there i spoke reallllllllllllllllllly loudly..."WELL LOOKY THERE 2.99 NOT 1.49....PRINTED IN BIG BOLD LETTERS WITH AN ARROW POINTING UP...AINT THAT SOMETHING"

I got scolded for that :)

Severen Morkonis
Dec 14th, 2002, 09:10:58 PM
Breaks down into tears....* Im sowwy...im really sowwy :(

Silus Xilarian
Dec 14th, 2002, 09:13:02 PM
Wow....that was easy, I didnt even have to make fun of his hair....

MY POWERS ARE GROWING >D

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 14th, 2002, 09:17:46 PM
I remember bagging groceries for peopleas a Kroger employee one summer. 3 cash registers open, one bagger, shopping carts need to be brought in, and then there were the go-backs that were piling up. Guess who the only bagger was. Me. I sprinted from one register to the other, bagging as fast as I could, one guy who did register decided that I was not doing my job fast enough to get to his lane, and he would constantly call me and try to tell me how to do my job. Overweight, balding blankety-blank. That went on for 2 hours, then I got the relatively calm job of fetching shopping carts, and then the even better job of doing go-backs. I never knew why, but for some reason cutsomers had to come in huge groups at a time. I swear, working as a bagger at that store was the best workout I ever had.

Then there was one mean customer who went ballistic because he was a middle aged man and he still had to show an photo ID when he wanted to buy some beer. He chewed out the cashier, and stormed out. He forgot his bananas. I had to run them out to him before he left. I would have left them at the store, but alas... I thought for sure he was going to bite my head off. Thank God he didn't.

samantha
Dec 14th, 2002, 09:17:58 PM
Originally posted by Sieken Kasstra
Breaks down into tears....* Im sowwy...im really sowwy :(

You should be!!! *smacks him around a little than stuffs him in car trunk and has him disposed of* :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 14th, 2002, 10:14:15 PM
I despise customers who think they can tell me how to do my job. Or think that since they paid with a DEBIT card, that our returns will give them cash back. Sorry, in my line of work, its charged to your checking account. So I can only credit it back to your card. End of discussion, no amount of "But I've never had a problem at any other store getting cash" will make me budge on this issue. Policy is, as they say, policy.

:x

Dae Jinn
Dec 14th, 2002, 10:20:19 PM
OMG. I hate having to tell people they need to go to the office to get refunds. They get so pissy >_< It's only going to get busier though...My legs are so sore, especially when I work on the week-end. I have to walk an hour to work, stand for about 5 hours straight (all the cashiers are part-time, probably so we can get screwed out of benefits. We have a union, but the only thing I've gotten from them is insurance :\), in the same spot and then walk home. Bleh. :x

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 14th, 2002, 11:46:55 PM
Ive been on both sides of the cash register. One of the things I was taught right off was that the customer is always right and if there is ever any doubt, call management!

However (and Im sure this doesnt apply to any of us here ;)), Im appaled at the growing number of rude tellers/cashiers, etc. When we shop at a store, we are not only purchasing something we need...we are also helping the workers earn thier paycheck.

I cant begin to count the number of times when a clerk or cashier has forgotten to tell me "thank you" when Ive made a purchase. I could as easily go to another store to get what I need and spend MY hard earned money there!

When someone doesnt say "thank you" to me, I smile and say it to them. Once in a while if its an obvious omittance, I'll give them a flat look and say "Youre welcome"....making it plain to them that they had not said "thank you" to me.

I was NEVER rude to any of the people I waited on or checked out, etc. The staff at a store are what makes the business work and they are what customers remember.

Dae Jinn
Dec 14th, 2002, 11:50:21 PM
That's very true, but it still sucks when you're nice and polite to people and then they treat you like something they scraped off thier shoe :\ I am nice and polite to people, and when they're rude, I just stop talking to them. :lol

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 14th, 2002, 11:54:08 PM
Thats very true as well, Dae. Ive had the unpleasant experience of rude patrons myself. I try to shrug it off and put it down to thier having a bad day :\

Dae Jinn
Dec 14th, 2002, 11:59:24 PM
But, when I go shopping at a store, I don't want people coming up and bugging me, or the cashier talking to me. I wanna make my purchase and get the hell out of there :) :lol

I dunno, we're like a discount grocery store ( a "box" store - you have to bag your own groceries, I know they have them in the states.) So we get some really awful people, but we also have some really nice customers.
One older woman comes in once a month, and she always goes through my check-out and we chit-chat. I loaned her 30 cents once, and didn't expect to get it back -- she came back in the next month and gave it to me. Stuff like that is great, but you usually remember the nasty people more than the good ones.

Zatania Duvall
Dec 15th, 2002, 12:13:36 AM
You're a saint! I was a cashier myself and had a lot of people yelling at me for a pricing mistake I didn't do. The computer had it as something else which was the fault of whoever is in charge of the department it came from.

And the holidays truly bring out the worst in people, I swear. I almost got hit by a car the other day as I was walking into Wal-mart cuz some woman wanted to get the handicap parking spot befor someone else did, but guess what? She was NOT handicap at all. On top of that, when I went to the mall today I heard a ton of people griping at the employees constantly. Its not only the cashiers that get it, it's everyone that works in a store at all. It really ticks me off!

I always try to say something to cheer people up whenever I check out, and I don't go back for anything I forgot. I hate it when people do that cuz it makes the people behind them bitch moan and groan.

Another thing I hate is when people let their kids play with the credit card/debit thing. I've also had someone allow their brat to play with the register while I was bagging stuff, then had the nerve to ask me if everything checked out alright cuz the price didn't seem right. I like kids, but some people just let them get away with too much.

Bah humbag is what I say, and why? Cuz if this is the holiday spirit, then I don't want to be a part of it. I wanna be one of the few that actually has the real definition of holiday cheer, good will to men, and peace on earth. I've been polite this entire month to everyone, no matter how rude they can be to me. Today a woman said in a rude manner "excuse you" after bumping into me. I turned to her and smiled, then said "Happy Holidays to you too".

But, to put my whole rant into a short portable little quote: Be nice to your cashier, and they might actually try to make your day better by being polite back as well. Act like you're supposed to around the holidays and don't be a scrooge!

Dae Jinn
Dec 15th, 2002, 12:17:01 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Preach it, sista!

:D

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Dec 15th, 2002, 01:04:53 AM
what annoys me the most at Blockbuster is ppl yelling at us for the late fees....we did not do it, they turned in their movie late.....and the ones that claim we don't check in the movies all day, etc, there is no way of us doing that, bosses would fire us on the spot and we check the drops every thirty mins before 12 and I hate to say it but all you ppl actually have an hour leeway where until 1 your movies will not be late so it doesn't matter if you were only 2 mins after 12.....and we are not the ones who make you have late fees so why must everyone call us ****h, etc under their breath as they leave?

Silus Xilarian
Dec 15th, 2002, 01:55:54 AM
Lets kill them all, just to be sure! >D

Zeke
Dec 15th, 2002, 01:58:03 AM
Late fees? If I've got a late fee to pay, I pay it. I'm late, there's nothing I can do but learn from it and carry on with my life. If I'm on the job and neglect to thank a customer, its usually because I've got two or three other lanes to bag and tons of other jobs on the side, as Wei said. But, they get their groceries bagged correctly, and with a smile. They wanna be rude, they can do so. By weathering the abuse and smiling, it puts me above their level and destroys the effect they were going for. Too many I've seen walk away frustrated at the stoic bag boy...:)

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Dec 15th, 2002, 02:02:35 AM
honestly I've had customers curse me out over a $4.08 fee.....I had one guy claim we stole his money when his daughter had only paid part of a fee the time before, a few cursing me out for not having the movie, one who lied and said he dropped off the movies the day before when they were right on top of the drop, a condom in the drop box, demanding free movies for their suffering (ie waiting in line or not having a movie).....my list goes on far too many to post, why does a job have to be sooooo damned annoying?

Silus Xilarian
Dec 15th, 2002, 02:06:18 AM
I'll get my sabers! We'll handle this the right way! >D

Sejah Haversh
Dec 15th, 2002, 02:31:53 AM
You want a crappy job, try bieng these things at an office supply superstore.

1. A Guy.
Being male automatically means you can lift heavy crap and don't mind doing it at all. It also means you know anythign and everything about the furniture and computer stuff, and can also talk cars with all the mechanics that come in. (Thank goodness I can actually do all that.

2. The Electronics Guy.
A. I am not tech support, that's what that 800 number is for. I don't get paind enough to be your tech support.
B. Yes, I am up on computers and have a fair knowledge of older models and what they can do/take. No, that does not mean that you can tell me you have a Gateway computer and I'll know exactly what you'll need. No, I do not have ANYTHING that will make a Pentium I 100 mHz computer any fast, ot fit in it even.
B. I don't use Windows 3.1 or 95 anymore. I don't remember how to do the crap your old obselete piece of crap does. Here, brand new HP with monitor is only $399. Buy it. It works. It does not need an AT plug adapter for your new keyboard.
C. Yes, the alam covers DO in fact cover the battery compartments on the digital cameras. No, I cannot take them off. Yell at him (manager) if you want to see one with power more than a week after it went on display.
D. Oh, the free stuff on rebate? The stuff everybody and his brother, and you too wanted? Yeah, it's gone. It dissappeared Sunday when the ad came out. This is Friday. You waited too long, and no, I will not even look for one because I know for a fact there isn't one left in this hemisphere. Yes, I know you wanted it. So did fifty other people. Get here faster next time.
E. Lexmark. I have to sell Lexmark. That is punishment in itself. Though I will say I haven't intentionally sold one in several months.
F. I don't play online gaming. I do not have cable internet. I wasn't stupid like you and paid four grand for an Alienware computer you could have pieced together for half the price, including software. No, I don't have the new uber-game. I'm an office supply store, go to EB.
G. No, a floppy disk does not hold more than 1.44 MB when formatted. Get a CD burner. Oh, wait, your computer is ten years old. Here, here's an HP with monitor for $399. It has a CD burner in it.
H. Of course I know every technical spec about that printer off the top of my head. I have nothign better to do than to study theit informational booklets all day long so I can spout off useless facts about the printer you're not even going to buy.
I. Stinky, overweight, ratty-clothed computer nerds infest my territory. That is disgusting.

3. (back on topic...) The Furniture guy.
You get to pull all the furniture, regardless of weight, and then carry it out to the customer's car (which is always too small) and try to load it somehow. Though this can be quite entertaining, as I once fit a five-drawer file cabinet in a Fiat.

4. The Copy Center Guy.
Well, steppign behind that counter automatically qualifies you to run every function ever on the copy machines and get it perfect from an original that looks like it went down with the Titanic. You can also amazingly know how to do graphic design in seconds, as Desktop Publishing Time is $0.91 a minute. And you're really good at it because you work back there, obviously you were trained.

(I'd like to take this time to explain that I haven't ever been trained on jack in that store. I know everything from using it, being interested in it, or having to learn it on the spot. We do not have training seminars for floor employees.)

And, you can also bind crap for different ways while ordering business cards and making custom multi-part forms and shipping packages through Airbore Express. And Laminating crap too, forgot that. Not to mention being a technological genius and figuring out how to completely dissassemble a Xerox Doc 12 color copier (About $30,000) and puit it back together to make it work using only a philips screwdriver and a boxknife.

5. The Go-To Guy.
Yes, I'm OBVIOUSLY not doing enough fielding all that stuff, so I get to field customers int he supply aisle as well, and oiften get chewed out because the funky, not makde in then years product they want isn't in store, and we'll have to order it. Oh, horror of horrors, but it will take until TOMORROW to get it. And it could even show up AT YOUR HOUSE! "No, I'll wait for it to come in stock" is the common reply. If we ahve to special order it, it won't be in stock. Ever.

6. The Custodian Guy.
Ahh, after such a light and boring day at work, what else could I ever want to do but do all the gobacks and defectives, then collect all the trash, run the reports, sweep the whole store, straighten the furniture pad, vacuum the furniture pad, then face product on the shelf and also put out new product.

So, you see the disadvantages of being a Guy who knows about Electronics and Furniture, can run the Copy Center, and also give Supply Customer Service, and Clean up, too. I do that every frikking day, and I'm quite underpaid. Trust me, do not be a grouch to guys in the electronics department at office supply superstores. They are ready to do the Mortal Kombat "rip your ehad off along with spine attached" move on you at any given moment iff you are a real jerk or make fun of them for not doing/knowing enough.

Dae Jinn
Dec 15th, 2002, 08:37:06 AM
Glad everyone is getting a good vent out of this...And I can relate to the no training part, Sejah.

We have two new hires on the front end of our store. They were NOT told how to put new register tape into their registers. We have one cashier who basically has no clue -- we're expected to just ask when we have to do something we don't know who to do. (which "Mimi" never does :rolleyes) Which makes you look very stupid in front of customers.
And, as for being underpaid, i started working at $6.85 (min, wage here) and now I am making a whopping $7.05! :eek! I got another raise and didn't even know it :lol (we're union, and get nickel raises based on how many hours we slave away) So, I'm making 15 cents more than I was making a year and a bit ago >_<

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 15th, 2002, 10:32:04 AM
I still dont get paid enough for my job!

I make $7.55 an hour to help a few students (aide) and to be a noon supervisor as well (lunch lady for 882 kids).

There are (now) 6 supervisors where as last year there were only 4 and for the same number of kids at the Jr. High, so thats roughly 300 students per lunch (6th, 7th and 8th grade).

Together we keep the blacks and whites from fighting, namely the girls, keep the skanks off of the preps (they calls themselves that), keep the preps from tormenting the dorks/geeks, etc, etc.

We have to stop food fights before they get started and if they do, we have to peel away the layers of kids who of course "didnt see anything".

We have kids who tell us "go ahead and tell the principal" and "You cant touch me...I'll sue" or my personal favorite, "I'll call my Mom and she'll come down and kick your <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>." I always reply, "Want me to call her for you? Im sure we can arrange a meeting place."

The kids are foul mouthed little brats whose parents dont discipline them at home and think that school is where they should learn everything. They dont appreciate the fact that we are also there to protect them from outside threats, such as a divorced parent who wants to retaliate against the custodial parent by snatching thier own kid.

The list go on and on and on. We have had teachers tell us that we should make more money for what we have to put up with. Its at times like that the acknowledgement of our work helps make it worth while :)

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Dec 15th, 2002, 09:37:42 PM
got called a smart*ss and a b**ch today, smart*ss was almost to my face.....I dunno about the rest of your registers but we have stupid functions that work in the rewards memberships....one that annoys us to all end, if you hit total and the question of do you want to use your free rental comes up and you cannot get back into the account for a coupon and the like and clearing the account makes the coupon not work because the comp sees no activity for the transaction.....

but moving on to the point, I get a girl sent in by her mother to get two movies, I ring her up and wait a few moments to see if she has a coupon before I hit total, the second after I hit it, she pulls out a coupon from nowhere....I explain to her that I can't use the coupon but she has a free rental, she says fine, I finish the stuff and she walks out. Less than a minute later, her mother storms in and starts cursing me out because I wouldn't let her use the coupon....I explain it to the lady, she gets madder, I bring in boss and stand by boss and as I look away for a second, I hear smart*ss and when I look back at her, she glaring at me.....then she calls me and boss b**tches as she leaves......so hate my job.....

Silus Xilarian
Dec 15th, 2002, 11:05:02 PM
FWI?

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Dec 15th, 2002, 11:20:55 PM
honestly we get crap like this everyday, like the lady who yelled at one of our guys becuase she was not the main name on the account, he found her under her husband Scott's name...she called him a jack*ss and said I can be under any damn name I please, it's under me dammit!

our customers are nuts I tell ya......

Dae Jinn
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:11:56 AM
people are all mentally retarded, I swear........... >_<

Ishan Shade
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:04:42 PM
*pounds the counter with his fist*

HEY! CAN I GET SOME SERVICE AROUND HERE??

Dae Jinn
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:14:12 PM
*calls the manager*

:mneh

Ishan Shade
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:14:01 PM
*sneaks out the back door and runs for his life*

Zatania Duvall
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:17:00 PM
One of these days someone is going to stand up against these idiots... I mean, would they rather check themselves out at the register? They can yell at themselves when the computer messes up.

Darius Van-Derveld
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:20:11 PM
gah! home shopping sales representative..... fancy job title, non?

... basically, i wander around in all weather, freezing my ar53 [its a type of order form :D] off

... get various insluts/criticisms/rants from customers.

... which is actually quite humorous, listenin to a walkman, so all i can see is their mouth goin :verymad

... :D

imported_Jackson Mcgraves
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:35:44 PM
No body is perfect on either side and thats all I got to say. :)

Silus Xilarian
Dec 16th, 2002, 09:16:28 PM
:headbash IM PERFECT!!!!!!!!!

*flaunts*

Dae Jinn
Dec 16th, 2002, 09:45:24 PM
No you aren't. :mneh

*calls the manager on Silus* :lol

Silus Xilarian
Dec 16th, 2002, 09:50:16 PM
I FEAR NOT, YOUR MANAGERS!!!!!

*brandishes shopping cart*

Moltar
Dec 16th, 2002, 10:05:55 PM
Welcome to Walmart...

The Yugi-Oh Cards are over there...

Zatania Duvall
Dec 16th, 2002, 10:10:58 PM
Originally posted by Moltar
Welcome to Walmart...

Gawd, I know, I had to of answered that question fourty times a day. Also had to tell people where the cough drops were even though they were on display right in the front of the store.

Wik Tayl Doon
Dec 16th, 2002, 10:17:15 PM
I worked a golf club over the summer for a few weeks. Its in this community and the people there acted so snobbish. So I quit. It was horrible. I was the bus boy at the resturante next to the pro-shop. The crap bus boys get. :(

We just clean tables. Its not my fault your food is cold or your drink is empty. I made 5.30 an hour to move table where from the table to the bucket and into the dishwasher. I am so happy I didn't need the job.

Dae Jinn
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:32:06 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!

I had yesterday off, and work this morning - I get there and go to my register, and find the cigarette cabinets are broken. I thought it was kinda weird, but my work is F'd up, so I didn't really think anything of it :lol

Turns out someone broke in last night through a small window in the front of the store, smashed the surveilence vcr, broke open ALL the cigarette cabinets, stole EVERY carton and pack in the store (Taking garbage bags from the shelf from what I heard) and got out the back. All in the eight minutes it took for the cops to get there. I was told they stole $18,000 worth of cigarettes....

if that isn't fun enough, I had a customer say the boxes in the box bin, which is there so people can use the boxes to pack their groceries, could set on fire! Oh no, it might MAGICALLY catch fire! WTF!!!! >_< I am going to start to smack all the customers pretty soon....

Moltar
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:36:38 PM
Originally posted by Zatania Duvall
Gawd, I know, I had to of answered that question fourty times a day. Also had to tell people where the cough drops were even though they were on display right in the front of the store.

LOL! Have you been asked where the inflatable chairs are and why they are not in Toys? People seem to think that Walmart moves things around to different places just to get them to buy more...

And the truth is we do :p

Cirrsseeto Quez
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:20:55 PM
The only thing worse than working at Wal Mart is doing accountany and marketing case studies of Wal Mart. I swear, I know more about the store than most of its employees, unfortunately :x

I seem to enjoy all my jobs immensely. The only job I didn't enjoy was working at a driving range one year, and having to manually pick up golf balls. It was 8 bucks an hour, and tax free, but it was back-breaking work, in high humidity and mosquitoes. No thank you.

Worked for Nexity Financial Corporation, which is an international, high-deposit internet banking firm. Its a blast to work there, because there is a small group of really friendly folks, and we don't have to deal with customers face-to-face. However, some people can be VERY anal about their money and interest rates. I suppose I can understand this, as the average account value that I dealt with was around $100,000. I processed millions of dollars in checks every day, by hand. At the time I was working there (Summer 2000), Nexity was riding high on an interest-saturated Bull Market, thanks to Mr. Greenspan. We had, according to a banking watchdog firm, the best interest rates of any bank in the country. So its understandable that business was booming for us. But one time, this guy chewed me out for not getting the rate he wanted on his high deposit money market account. At 6.9%, if you don't like your money market rate, you can cry into your fruit loops, because it doesn't get any better unless naked island girls start dancing for you while you fill out your transactions. Well, the guy explained that the reason that he wasn't getting the rate he wanted (what he wanted, he never explained to me), wasn't because of computer error, or bad customer service, or a glitch...or anything sane. He wasn't getting his optimal rate because of a Zionist conspiracy. He said that the Jews were keeping him from getting his full money market rate. I didn't know whether to shout at him or laugh at him, so I transferred him to my manager. I wanted to give him a parting "Shalom", but I held my tongue.

Another job, I worked for a medical management firm, that coordinated every cancer clinic in the middle region of Alabama, at about a dozen different hospitals in about four different cities. That was a fun job. I got to travel, with corporate compensation to my travel expenditures. I made company hardware and software purchases with several bulk sellers, and supervised installation, coordinating with an outsource group - CSC. I made sure that all hospitals were compliant with corporate policy, and that new employees, both front-end clerical staff, and medical staff (nurses and doctors), were trained with new hardware and software. I got invited to free pharmaceutical corporation luncheons, and hob-nobbed with some very rich people. The only downside to all this is that I had to deal with some VERY low tech people. One doctor in Gadsden had to be shown where the space bar was, though I am proud to say, he's come a long way.

Lowe's was a blast, but a ton of hard work. Being a big guy that answered telephones, I was essentially the "hey, go do this" guy. I found myself doing more manual labor than things actually befitting my job description. I loaded washers, dryers, refridgerators, shelves, everything and the kitchen sink, you name it. The customers could definitely be hostile. I remember one guy chewing me out on the phone because I didn't know what a Roto-Zip was. (Nobody was in hardware for me to refer them to, so there wasn't much for me to do.) I am about the most handyman illiterate man on earth, and yet I had to deal with regular Tim Allens on a constant basis. It eventually got in my blood, and I love the work now. Not to mention, Lowes pays EXTREMELY well. The only real downside is that working nights on inventory shift has the potential to kill a man.

My most recent job was also my most underpaid, underskilled, and understimulating. I worked at Carmike Cinemas over the summer, in the box office, which is a total George Jetson job. You could train a monkey to do what I do, and save money on banana wages. I was constantly bored, and looking for ways to entertain myself. For the last month of my summer employment, I faked a thick, East Thames Cockney accent, and got everyone believing I was here on a green card. That, and getting to see summer movies for 50 cents, were what made the job truly enjoyable.

Silus Xilarian
Dec 17th, 2002, 09:08:05 PM
He even called me 'Sir' ^_^;

Zatania Duvall
Dec 17th, 2002, 09:13:51 PM
Havent had anyone ask about the inflatible chairs.. Had someone ask me about the actual merchandise and how it works, when I obviously dont know since I was a cashier and not in toys/electronics.