PDA

View Full Version : Drumline

Admiral Lebron
Dec 13th, 2002, 11:15:36 PM
I might see this movie tomorrow, but I had to post this review about it. It makes me laugh. Its kinda obvious she was in Marching Band at one time. :D

Marching Madness: A Movie to Beat the Band

By Ann Hornaday
Special to The Washington Post
Friday, December 13, 2002; Page C05

The most important thing to say about "Drumline" is that it's about marching bands. Specifically, black college marching bands. For many people, this critic included, that single fact is enough to make "Drumline" a must-see movie – it's not every day that the simple, sublime pleasures of a bunch of gifted young musicians stepping in coordinated time make it to the big screen. (The last time was two years ago with Jim McKay's wonderful "Our Song," which featured the real-life Jackie Robinson Steppers. Rent it now.)

The marching-band scenes are too few in "Drumline," which marks the screen debut of Nickelodeon star Nick Cannon. But they're enough to make the film a sweet, good-natured surprise, a literally upbeat family film with heart, soul and rhythm. The final 15 or 20 minutes rival "8 Mile's" rap battle for chops and sheer intensity. Even when the movie lags, it's still about marching bands – marching bands! – and that is to be noted, admired and celebrated.

Cannon plays Devon, a cocky bass-drum player who has just graduated from a New York high school. He's a hot dog, a showboat, and he's just won a scholarship to Atlanta A&T University, whose renowned marching band has slipped to No. 2 of late. In a training period that resembles boot camp with tubas, Devon and his fellow freshmen compete for cherished spots on the band's drum line, the rhythmic heart of the entire operation. He makes it, but his arrogance soon threatens to get him booted by the band's stern, old-school leader, Dr. Lee (Orlando Jones). As "Drumline" heads toward its dramatic climax at the Big Southern Classic marching band competition, Devon learns some humbling lessons about teamwork, honesty and first love.

Directed by Charles Stone III ("Paid in Full") and inspired by the true story of producer Dallas Austin, "Drumline" does what so many movies these days don't: It introduces viewers to a world that many of them may not have seen before. Filmed on location at Clark Atlanta University and Morris Brown College, the film immerses audiences in the disciplined, competitive life of a marching band. It also welcomes them into the community of historically black colleges whose history and culture are every bit as venerable and rich with ritual as the Ivy League. What's more, "Drumline" pulses with movement, from the show-stopping moves of the band on the football field to the gyrations of their accompanying cheerleaders.

For such a specific and vivid backdrop, "Drumline" tells a relatively trite story, but its details and emotional warmth lend distinction, as does a strong cast. Jones is fantastic as a bandleader who's holding the line against trendy playlists (he'd rather play Marvin Gaye than "The Thong Song"), and Zoe Saldana is lovely as Devon's love interest. As for Cannon, his smirk may be too ever-present to make Devon terribly likable, but that makes his baby steps toward maturity all the more authentic.

"Drumline" is a modest movie, far from perfect but brimming with energy and spirit. Just remember: It's a movie about marching bands. And that, dear toe-tappers, makes all the difference.

DRUMLINE (PG-13, 120 minutes) – Contains innuendo and profanity. At area theaters.

Figrin D'an
Dec 13th, 2002, 11:39:37 PM
I'll consider seeing it, just out of sheer curiosity. I have my own opinions about collegiate marching bands, being a former member of a very good one myself.

I'll probably rent it when it hits DVD...

Dae Jinn
Dec 14th, 2002, 12:07:22 AM
:lol

I read the review while I was on break at work. It only got two and a half stars in the Toronto Sun :\ Marching bands is such an american thing, to me anyways. Looks to be an alright movie though.

JonathanLB
Dec 14th, 2002, 03:35:17 AM
I am surprised people actually want to see this film, and I DID see it because I had to review it and it was just as stupid as it looked. The critics are such hosers, most of them actually liked this STUPID movie and gave worse reviews to Star Trek Nemesis, The Hot Chick, and Maid in Manhattan, all of which were GOOD movies! No more, but they were good.

Oooo a marching band, wow, how "cool." Not. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being in one, but it doesn't make you cool. I run a bunch of Websites. That sure as to hell doesn't make me cool. Playing college basketball with everyone watching, that's cool, being a damn cheerleader or a marching band person is not cool by any means -- American Pie already demonstrated this.

The movie is TWO HOURS of watching idiotic dialogue and marginally ok tunes that become very monotonous after a while. I mean, one can only take so much of that, I'm sorry. There is a reason half-time is only 15 minutes!

Wow the main character of the movie is such a total BAD@$$ because he can... play drums! FOR A MARCHING BAND!

Puh-lease.

I have no problem with gay people, but the guy trying to play that big type of drum that he carries on his stomach looks so incredibly gay when he is playing it. What was good about this movie that I missed? It was a worse than average teen flick, just the type of crap critics should be trashing. I don't understand critics, they're fools. This is the exact type of movie their better judgment should tell them is sheister, but somehow they like it anyway.

I only have one thing to say about this...

"So you can't say f**k?"
"Nope."
"...and you can't say $h*t?"
"Nope."
"So you can't say, 'My name is Eric Cartman and I'm the fattest f**king piece of $h*t alive?"
"F**K YOU!"

Taylor Millard
Dec 14th, 2002, 03:42:19 AM
Umm Jonathan...there are some people on the boards who are interested in seeing the movie because they are drummers.

That means me.

I was in marching band for...gosh...7-8 years and I played the bass drum and the quad toms.

I kinda want to see this movie just 'cause it's got drummers in it. It's why I saw 'That Thing You Do!".

So while I doubt the movie is going to have a great plot and all. I want to see it for the drumming and marching band stuff.

JonathanLB
Dec 14th, 2002, 03:50:58 AM
That's your deal, and I just reviewed That Thing You Do -- 3 stars, it was well made.

AND I am not saying there is anything wrong with being a drummer, this dude in the film, the character (I don't know about the actor?) has real talent, that is obvious. I mean, it's impressive! Don't get me wrong. But it's not something that should be taken and made "cool" by Hollywood. I'm sorry. It's not cool. It may be enjoyable, but a lot of things are enjoyable and not cool.

I enjoy writing reviews and running my movie site, but it's not "cool." It's work. It's fun for me, but it sure isn't cool, nor should there be a movie made about a critic who writes reviews, that's just stupid. Drumline takes an uncool idea and makes it into a boring 2 hour film.

Taylor Millard
Dec 14th, 2002, 03:58:39 AM
Isn't 'coolness' a part of your own mind?

I had a ton of fun playing drums and I thought I was 'cool'. I think being a movie critic is cool...hell I want to be a Political Talk Show host. And I think it's cool.

I think radio's cool....

Yeah it's all in the eye of the beholder really. I'm just pointing out there might be some people who do like the things that aren't considered 'cool'.

Dae Jinn
Dec 14th, 2002, 08:40:27 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLB

I don't understand critics, they're fools.

Um, are you a "critic"? :uhoh
I'd have to agree with what Taylor said -- everyone is going to like different things, maybe some of the critics enjoyed the film.

Figrin D'an
Dec 14th, 2002, 12:48:38 PM
You know Jon... you're a smart guy, but you say some incredibly intolerent things sometimes. I'm disappointed with your comments, to say the least. You have a right to your opinions, but it concerns me that you may actually think like that.

Taylor Millard
Dec 14th, 2002, 12:58:34 PM
Well hey even I can be pretty opinionated at times (just listen to my comments about the 'Die Another Day' Madonna song). Or listen to me talk about some politicians. It's okay to be opinionated.

Now...as for Halftime...Jonathan, I've performed in 30 minute halftime shows before...and there are marching bands out there that are awesome (UNT Drumline, Texas A&M).

Maybe it's just my style, I dunno. I look at my time in marching band as something I wouldn't mind repeating (even if I got spinal arthritus out of it), and I enjoyed playing the drums.

And hey, maybe marching band music isn't your style. That's fine. Rap's not mine.

I'm not a fan of Scorcese or Stone. And I thought 'Hannibal' was a great film.

But ya know...that don't matter to me.

Opinions are noted, but we'll have to agree to disagree right now.

And there's nothing wrong with that either :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 14th, 2002, 02:07:59 PM
Normally, Im a nice person and I dislike confrontations. This time, Im not holding back or pulling any punches, sorry.

I was all for you staying Jonathan and I still am. Everyone is fully entitled to thier personal opinion and the right to voice it. But geez, man, lighten up. If you dont like a movie just say "it thoroughly sucked" and let it go at that. Youre being excedding rude and crude and I dont appreciate it.

In other words, stop being an <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>.

JonathanLB
Dec 14th, 2002, 03:57:06 PM
That is not appropriate to assault MY opinion because you don't agree with it.

I have the right to say that I think women's basketball is a joke and wouldn't waste a minute of my life watching it and I have the right to say that I think Drumline was a bit boring and personally do not find drummers "cool" nor do I think Hollywood should try to make them that way.

If you think drummers are cool, then fine, but I'm not referring to drumming being "lame" or "not cool," I'm just talking about the WAY in which they are portrayed in the movie as ultra-cool and that image was really a joke to me as a viewer because it came across as being ridiculous. I mean, they make this grueling training look like Military Boot Camp or something and it's just a BAND that exists for the purpose of entertaining crowds at FOOTBALL games, i.e. a real sport. Marching band might be super fun and it must be really difficult (I don't think I could ever do that), but that doesn't make it "cool."

I would say the same thing if I saw a movie that tried to make video gamers competing for money in some competition seem "cool" -- they never will be cool. Playing video games may be fun, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a waste of time. You don't ever accomplish anything playing video games. The only group that has an excuse to play video games is the people who want to become video game developers or reviewers or work in the industry for some reason. Everyone else is just wasting time, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you enjoy it, why not? I have spent a sickening amount of thousands of hours playing video games, sometimes with friends, and it was all great fun. I love video games, but is playing them cool? No. Is playing them productive? No. But there's nothing wrong with relaxing and playing video games because everyone needs some time off. Just like there's nothing wrong with marching band, which is neat to watch and very talented.

And anyway, I didn't think Drumline "thoroughly sucked" or whatever, I thought it was about an average movie, a little below.

If you took my comments wrong, and maybe I wasn't clear enough in stating what I meant is that the movie overexagerated the "cool" factor to the point of absurdity, not that drummers were "not cool" or that I don't respect drummers, then I am sorry because I did not mean to offend anyone. I think Taylor realizes that, so I apologize for offending anyone. That wasn't my intention and Figrin, I am very tolerant of all people, but I also reserve the right to have my own opinions about their activities. I find homosexuality absolutely disgusting and I won't ever lie about that or make any PC-bulls**t comments. NOBODY should be politically correct. Ever. They should say what they think, and if there is something wrong with what they think, they'll have to deal with that. There is nothing wrong with me saying that I think homosexuality is disgusting, but that I do not think homosexuals ARE disgusting. I have known two gay guys who are friends of the family and they're both really cool, intelligent, successful guys. I like them! I do not find what they DO to be acceptable but I don't condemn the people, just I don't support the activity.

As a person living in the United States of America, I have every right to express any opinion I so choose, and expressing the widely held belief that homosexuality is disgusting isn't a wrong or weird thing to say -- it repulses me. It is not natural and it grosses me out, but it's not MY business what other people do and I don't have any place telling anyone else what to do in their lives, and therefore I tolerate whatever it is anyone wants to do so long as it doesn't interfere with my rights as a human being, and it doesn't. So there is no issue. But if you think that I'm going to say, "Oh being gay is cool, yeah, I don't find it disgusting at all when one guy wants to rape another, no problem!" Think again.

jjwr
Dec 14th, 2002, 04:22:08 PM
I will probably never see this movie as it doesn't look like my bag of tea, most musical movies don't interest me.

Cool is all in the eye of the beholder. Maybe Drummers think they're cool, I know a lot of web programmers who think they're cool.

What really gets me is that Jon is out there defending his opinion and his right to his opinion, this from the guy who never has any tolerance for anyone's besides his own Hello Mr. Pot, hello Mr. Kettle :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 14th, 2002, 04:23:00 PM
I wasnt clear enough, sorry. I wasnt assualting your opinion...exactly. it was more the manner in which you said it. And I stand by that.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 14th, 2002, 06:36:18 PM
That is not appropriate to assault MY opinion because you don't agree with it.

But if you think that I'm going to say, "Oh being gay is cool, yeah, I don't find it disgusting at all when one guy wants to rape another, no problem!" Think again.

Point 1 = apparently its perfectly ok for you to assault the opinions of others, but when it happens to you, suddenly you see the injustice of it. *gasp amaze*

Point 2 = Rape in any form is wrong and horrible, and no one in their right mind would ever expect you to say it wasn't. Whether it is guy on guy or guy on girl, it is equally bad.

Taylor Millard
Dec 14th, 2002, 07:21:11 PM
I mean, they make this grueling training look like Military Boot Camp or something and it's just a BAND that exists for the purpose of entertaining crowds at FOOTBALL games, i.e. a real sport.

Hey Jon if you're even in the DC area I'll go get an extra pair of marching shoes and put you through Marching Camp. >D

But yeah, I get what you're saying in regards to the movie. Some movies just aren't others cup of tea.

Gurney Devries
Dec 14th, 2002, 10:39:47 PM
Oooo a marching band, wow, how "cool." Not. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being in one, but it doesn't make you cool. I run a bunch of Websites. That sure as to hell doesn't make me cool. Playing college basketball with everyone watching, that's cool, being a damn cheerleader or a marching band person is not cool by any means -- American Pie already demonstrated this.omg. :lol I'm laughing so hard at this.

Yes, of course! We need to determine what is "cool" by watching Teen Movies and ostracizing those who don't fit our ideal of "coolness". That's absolutely brilliant!

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 14th, 2002, 10:50:00 PM
Jon what did you meant about a gay man raping another man do you consider all homosexual activity as rape??? Or did I miss something there?

Dae Jinn
Dec 15th, 2002, 12:08:12 AM
:\ Yeah, and do you include men who are in prison in that category? None of that has anything to do with being "gay":, it's just really horny men with no women :x

But if you think that I'm going to say, "Oh being gay is cool, yeah, I don't find it disgusting at all when one guy wants to rape another, no problem!" Think again.

Did you mean all homosexuals are commiting rape? Cos, that's not really true. I have a cousin who is gay, and he doesn't go around raping other men. I think you need to think before you post things, Jon.

JonathanLB
Dec 15th, 2002, 12:15:15 AM
No I don't mean that at all, lol, jesus I'm looking more and more like an idiot as this thread is progressing :)

"I wasnt clear enough, sorry. I wasnt assualting your opinion...exactly. it was more the manner in which you said it. And I stand by that."

And I stand by my apology for inaccurately stating what I meant to say. I should have been much more tactful in my response and what I MEANT wasn't what I typed, or at least what I typed wasn't understood well enough for me to be able to defend the way in which I typed it ;)

On that note, I just heard the doorbell ring. Sorry for the confusion, seriously, it was not my intent to offend.

Hello Mr. Kettle.

Dae Jinn
Dec 15th, 2002, 12:21:47 AM
No I don't mean that at all, lol, jesus I'm looking more and more like an idiot as this thread is progressing :)

Suuuuuureeeeeee....

Therefore, you should read what you write, before you post it, and think to yourself "Will people take this as me being a jerk-off?" :lol I've talked to you on IM and you seem like a nice enough guy, but when you post, you do tend to cause a ruckus and make yourself look really bad. It's fine to voice your opinions, but you have to word them in an appropriate way :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 15th, 2002, 01:35:35 AM
Ditto.

I think you seem like a nice guy, Jon. You just came across as super harsh in your review, is all.

JonathanLB
Dec 15th, 2002, 06:54:42 AM
I should have read over that before I posted it, I was being a <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> about that. I didn't mean it that way at all, being on marching band is totally commendable, and obviously something that would require more musical talent than I will ever have, that's for sure.

The only point I wanted to make is that I felt it was made too Hollywood-ized, that's not a word, but it's what I mean. It was too glamorous seeming and too hyped for me, just the way it was portrayed seemed really silly to me, that's all. I don't have anything to compare it to, but to me it felt fake. If not, the dialogue just wasn't good enough to warrant my praise, it rather bothered me though it wasn't awful (the dialogue). The main actor has promise. I thought he did a fairly good job personally, wouldn't mind seeing him again. Some of the tunes were kinda cool, in fact, maybe they were all fairly cool, BUT 2 hours of it... this was too long for me. Take the finale, they show I think 4-5 different bands and then they have the top two square off, well seriously I was enjoying it for a bit but it got old real fast, after the first two bands did their thing, I was getting antsy for the conclusion and wasn't wanting to hear a lot more. Perhaps if you love marching bands though, like if it is totally your deal, then you can never have too much of a good thing. From my outside perspective, it was too much of a somewhat entertaining thing, I guess.

Eluna Thals
Dec 17th, 2002, 04:25:11 PM
I won't be seeing this movie, as I don't have any interest in the band.

That, and Die Another Day, Nemesis, and The Two Towers are already sapping my movie funds as-is.